Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:47:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Gaming Conferences and Conventions  |  E3 '04  |  Topic: EA announces E3 Lineup. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: EA announces E3 Lineup.  (Read 17030 times)
UD_Delt
Terracotta Army

on: May 06, 2004, 07:40:11 AM

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/040506/65323_1.html

As an EA investor this looks like a pretty nice lineup for '04.

If anyone is heading to E3 and happens to stop by the EA booth could you check out the LOTR - Battle for Middle Earth RTS. I'm wondering if its going to be any good as I used to love RTSs but haven't played any in a while and this one might catch my interest if it's well done.

Interesting that UOX isn't even mentioned in the upcoming lineup. Anyone have any theories on why?

In other news it looks like Sony is following MS in canceling much of their 989 and XSN sports lineup. I guess it's down to Sega and EA competing for the sport-game market.

http://biz.yahoo.com/rc/040505/media_sony_sports_1.html
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: May 06, 2004, 07:42:56 AM

The rumor I hear is that the reason the xbox sports titles were released is that they are shifting gears fully to Xbox2 development.  May be the same thing with sony wanting enough devtime for their ps3 sports launches.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2 on: May 06, 2004, 09:18:09 AM

I imagine no UXO is because half the damn dev team didn't want to leave Austin, so they are so understaffed at the moment (or staffed up with people completely new to the project) that they aren't even sure IF it'll come out, much less when.

But this:

The URBZ: Sims in the City(a) - The Sims have moved to the city where action is 24/7 and reputation means everything. Sims who live in the City are known as Urbz, and they have a bold new look and attitude. Go to work and be challenged by bosses at locations like the Sushi Bar, Chop Shop, or Bootleg Fireworks, Inc. Success at work brings promotions, access to new power socials, and gear to influence your new lifestyle. Flaunt your attitude by styling your Urbz using the detailed new character engine; then cross the velvet ropes of an uptown night club or explore the subway to earn new skills and items for your high-rise crib. It's up to you whether your Urbz become big-time players or get lost in the crowd. It's all about reputation as the Urbz are living the dream in a City that never sleeps. The Game Boy Advance version of The URBZ: Sims in the City also has a brand new city adventure set in Miniopolis, a bustling city poised on the brink of ruin. To thwart Daddy BigBuck's evil schemes you have to get access throughout the city by building up your reputation to become the biggest "player" in the city. The URBZ: Sims in the City is scheduled to be released on the PlayStation 2 console, Xbox, Nintendo GameCube, and Game Boy Advance in the fall of 2004.

is fucking hysterical. Yes, make your SIM work for entertainment. Now, instead of feeling like a corporate drone 8 hours a day, you can spend all of your waking hours working for the man.

What... the... fuck?

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: May 06, 2004, 11:29:13 AM

It's about time EA got contemporary. To 2001.

But this is the best form of brand expansion there is. Take super huge monsterously and absurdly successful title and marry it to the concept behind the most talked about title.

I guess it's not surprising that they didn't make this an MMOG.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #4 on: May 06, 2004, 12:16:58 PM

I fail to see GTA in that.

I guess Urbz is supposed to mean urban? Sicne urban now means the black hip-hop community apparently, this game should be the shizzle mcdizzle, yizzy.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #5 on: May 06, 2004, 12:25:39 PM

Quote from: Sky
I fail to see GTA in that.

I guess Urbz is supposed to mean urban? Sicne urban now means the black hip-hop community apparently, this game should be the shizzle mcdizzle, yizzy.

The concept of GTA was always about building your reputation with people. I admit, not very dynamic, as you can't lose reputation with someone. But, the general premise was that you did missions to make people trust you. They would then refer you to someone else.. blah blah. The Sims is trying to copy this. In some twisted form.

I wonder if Pimp will be a profession. If so, I'm going to have so many bitches that my homies are going to be like "That's whack doug! W-H-A-C-K!"
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #6 on: May 06, 2004, 01:39:36 PM

Ok, I gotcha now. Like the parts of GTA you didn't really care about, without all that fun stuff. Sounds just perfect for the Sims! :)
Kyper
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: May 06, 2004, 05:03:10 PM

Holy shit.  I was joking the other day about an MMO where you go to work.  Now, EA is making it, as a single player game.  

Who's the EA spy in supergroup chat?
Sloth

Email
Reply #8 on: May 08, 2004, 10:35:57 AM

E3 use to be the best time of the year for gaming.  Last couple years it has been a huge letdown. Now it is barely entertaining because the information is mostly on games like Harry Potter which no one really cares about anyway. The only thing I"m looking forward to this year is Guild Wars and Doom3 on the Xbox.

My favorite E3s are the 97-98 Atlanta expos.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #9 on: May 10, 2004, 09:10:37 AM

E3 is becoming about what it's always been about. Selling the games to the biggest retailers for the Christmas season or shopping around for publishers/investors. That's it. All the fan pandering was the icing on top of the real cake.

With the ubiquity of the Internet, E3 is a waste of resources for marketing to the fans. In the days when game magazines were the most reliable way to get fans interest in a game stirred, it made sense. Now, see above for what it's really good for.

Oh yes, and Chochkis (Sic).

daveNYC
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: May 10, 2004, 11:40:14 AM

Quote from: NiX
The concept of GTA was always about building your reputation with people.

No, the concept of GTA was killing random people, and on occasion killing specific people.  Saying GTA was about building your reputation is like saying Wing Commander was about being promoted to Colonel.  Yes you did get there eventually, but it happened as background action to flying the missions.
UD_Delt
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: May 11, 2004, 06:59:14 AM

More EA E3 news... EA announced it worked out a deal with MS to be on Xbox live come July.

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/040511/115470_1.html

No real details on what the agreement entails but I'm hoping/guessing it's more lucrative than the nothing MS was originally willing to give EA.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Gaming Conferences and Conventions  |  E3 '04  |  Topic: EA announces E3 Lineup.  
Jump to: