Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 09:47:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Swift vs Hurdle 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Swift vs Hurdle  (Read 4989 times)
eldaec
Terracotta Army

on: May 06, 2004, 01:11:11 AM

At my next level I'm choosing between swift and hurdle.

I'm collecting one of these solely so as to get access to Health and Stamina later on.

I already have fly, which allows me to move faster than swift and jump higher than hurdle.

So, which one sucks the least?

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Daydreamer
Contributor

Reply #1 on: May 06, 2004, 03:47:48 AM

Swift.  That extra little umpf, especially in combination with sprint, lets you haul ass away from tight spots very quickly.  With swift, many fewer of my Oh-shit-I-shoulda-run-10-seconds-ago moments end with me getting away safely.

Immaginative Immersion Games  ... These are your role playing games, adventure games, the same escapist pleasure that we get from films and page-turner novels and schizophrenia. - David Wong at PointlessWasteOfTime.com
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: May 06, 2004, 04:05:56 AM

Not only that but you can socket up sprint and swift for a total of 12 slots with run speeds. If you don't take another movement power and can afford SO's when you get access to them you can probably run about the super speed if they are both filled (if not faster)
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: May 06, 2004, 06:33:11 AM

Also swift and hurdle stack with all other running and jumping skills respectivly.

So if you put six slots into swift and six into super speed you will be faster than any other superspeeder who does not match that. If you take hurdle it stacks with combat jump or superjump to give you extra height and distance.

They also cost no end so they are nice to have for escape when your endurance craps out.

Kaid
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #4 on: May 06, 2004, 07:59:47 AM

On the topic of character templates, don't you guys feel that putting so much into the pool powers and socketing them up like that gimps you a leetle beet? An honest question, because I'm going an entirely more conservative route based on some conversations during the beta.

I took Hover and Fly and that's going to be it for pool powers, which allows me to take every power in my Primary and Secondary. I've put all but a couple enh sockets onto my combat powers.
They also cost no end so they are nice to have for escape when your endurance craps out.

A double DO for end. cost reduction allows me to use Fly with very little end. drain, so it's fine as an escape power.
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

The best part of SWG was the easy account cancellation process.

Reply #5 on: May 06, 2004, 08:12:55 AM

Quote from: Sky
On the topic of character templates, don't you guys feel that putting so much into the pool powers and socketing them up like that gimps you a leetle beet? An honest question, because I'm going an entirely more conservative route based on some conversations during the beta.

I took Hover and Fly and that's going to be it for pool powers, which allows me to take every power in my Primary and Secondary. I've put all but a couple enh sockets onto my combat powers.

For my blaster, there are definately less-desired powers in my secondary powerset that I'd just as soon not have, in exchange for an extra movement power or something.  Have Hurdle, gonna buy combat jumping and super jump at 12 and 14, respectively.  The only thing that could really hold me up is my 2nd AE power opening up during one of those levels, and I'm not sure it will, it's near the bottom of the energy set.

As far as socketing, I kinda agree that I wouldn't wanna use 10 sockets on additional run speeds, rather put them in powers that kill stuff so I don't have to run.

--
Alkiera, a.k.a. Robot IX

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
daveNYC
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: May 06, 2004, 08:33:00 AM

Quote from: Sky

I don't like thinking about this game in terms of gimp or uber.  Fun or not fun is more important, and unless you're taking a crazy mix of power pool powers it's probably more relevant.

It is important to guard against the standard MMOG mindset of optimum group makeup, DPS calculations, and maximum exp-per-hour gain.  As long as the player can have fun running faster than a speeding bullet, more power to him (or her).
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #7 on: May 06, 2004, 09:27:58 AM

It is important to guard against the standard MMOG mindset of optimum group makeup, DPS calculations, and maximum exp-per-hour gain.

Hehehe...I'll chalk this up to you not knowing me all that well.
DarkDryad
Terracotta Army

da hizzookup

Reply #8 on: May 06, 2004, 09:48:25 AM

Sky is nearly surgical in his examination of the most effective ways to kill shit.

BWL is funny tho.  It's like watching a Special Needs school take a field trip to a minefield.
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

The Anne Coulter of MMO punditry

Reply #9 on: May 06, 2004, 10:41:08 AM

Personally I grab a lot of power pool powers just for originality's sake.    If you're going for power, then maximizing Primary and (primary already covered) Secondary powers is the way to go.   The power scale goes Primary > Secondary > Power Pool.

Although, there is something to be said for certain combinations... Scrapper Regeneration with Stamina/Health means uber regeneration.   Hasten (Super Speed) is somewhat uber as well, decreasing the refresh time of powers by about 33% when active, especially if you've faster than usual endurance regeneration.

schild
Administrator

Reply #10 on: May 06, 2004, 11:28:33 AM

I grab pool powers because in most cases I will only ever use about 5 from each of my main power pools because well, there just aren't situations where I could see myself toggling on 6 secondary and using more than 4 attacks.

Once you get to high level with endurance reducers and rechargers, your shit regens so fast you just don't need all 10 abilities from the main power pool.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #11 on: May 06, 2004, 11:45:28 AM

Quote from: schild
I grab pool powers because in most cases I will only ever use about 5 from each of my main power pools because well, there just aren't situations where I could see myself toggling on 6 secondary and using more than 4 attacks.

Once you get to high level with endurance reducers and rechargers, your shit regens so fast you just don't need all 10 abilities from the main power pool.

I'm with you schild.  The way I see it is that you should have 1 transport power pool, 1 utility power pool, and one pool to fool around in.

Thats about 12 skills that you will be getting, but since I don't take much from my secondary and primary pools, there's plenty of space to go around (I hope).

Right now I'm set up like this:

Transport Pool - Teleport (Teleport Friend, Teleport) 2 skills
Utility Pool - Fitness (Swift, Health, Stamina) 3 skills
Fun Pool - Speed (Haste) and maybe Jump or Stealth

this is on my fire blaster who is mainly AE skills.
schild
Administrator

Reply #12 on: May 06, 2004, 11:55:45 AM

Hmm, I'm sitting on super jump, combat jumping, flurry, super speed (proven to be quite useful in instanced missions where super jump isn't), and leadership. I'll be getting all of the leadership skills by 36.
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: May 06, 2004, 11:18:25 PM

The Nanites (Claw/Regen Scrapper) currently has Hasten, Super Speed, and COmbat Jumping.  Looking to get him also Stealth, Invisibility, Phase Shift, and Whirlwind.

Decided against picking up Fitness (Swift, Health, Stamina) on the grounds that eventually my secondary power regenerative abilities will probably be sufficient once I slot up six single origin enhancements.

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: May 07, 2004, 08:37:14 AM

Quote from: geldonyetich
The Nanites (Claw/Regen Scrapper) currently has Hasten, Super Speed, and COmbat Jumping.  Looking to get him also Stealth, Invisibility, Phase Shift, and Whirlwind.

Decided against picking up Fitness (Swift, Health, Stamina) on the grounds that eventually my secondary power regenerative abilities will probably be sufficient once I slot up six single origin enhancements.

From the beta boards apparently Health six slotted and scrapper regen 6 slotted is an Uber Combination.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: May 07, 2004, 08:58:34 AM

On the pools vs primary vs secondary thing, the first thing I did was to count up how many abilities I don't need, and on storm/elec defender that means Gale (cone knockback, wtf? I have Hurricane MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA) Short circuit (pbaoe end drain), ball lightning (aoe dot), and probably Aim (most storm powers don't seem to require accuracy - they seem to auto-hit).

That gives me 6 pool slots. Two used on hover/fly. Three on getting swift, health, Stamina - because end use is a problem on this char, and I can't self heal. Then one more at level 30, where I haven't really decided what to get - maybe Maneuvers from leadership.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: May 07, 2004, 12:25:44 PM

Quote from: Murgos
From the beta boards apparently Health six slotted and scrapper regen 6 slotted is an Uber Combination.

Yes, I've read that as well.  Although I don't know why I'd need Health and Regen six-slotted when I have Reconstruction and Instant Healing to provide me with giant health generation benefits already.

I think I'm mostly avoiding it out of a matter of creativity.   Whirlwind, Invisibility, and Phase Shift are unexpected choices.  

The secondary reason is that I've painted myself in a corner - if I picked up either Swift or Hurdle it would be a wasted power with my already having Super Speed and Combat Jumping.

I've contimplated, and passed up, the idea of restarting The Nanites as a Quills/Regen Scrapper.  Here was what I came up with in the Hero Planner:
Code:
Archetype: Scrapper
Primary Powers - Melee : Spines
Secondary Powers - Defense : Regeneration
Slot[01] Level 1 (Starting Primary) : Lunge /Empty
Slot[02] Level 1 (Starting Secondary) : Fast Healing /Empty
Slot[03] Level 2 : Reconstruction /Empty
Slot[04] Level 4 : Spine Burst /Empty
Slot[05] Level 6 : Quick Recovery /Empty
Slot[06] Level 8 : Build Up /Empty
Slot[07] Level 10 : Impale /Empty
Slot[08] Level 12 : Swift /Empty
Slot[09] Level 14 : Hurdle /Empty
Slot[10] Level 16 : Integration /Empty
Slot[11] Level 18 : Quills /Empty
Slot[12] Level 20 : Stamina /Empty
Slot[13] Level 22 : Hasten /Empty
Slot[14] Level 24 : Stealth /Empty
Slot[15] Level 26 : Ripper /Empty
Slot[16] Level 28 : Instant Healing /Empty
Slot[17] Level 30 : Invisibility /Empty
Slot[18] Level 32 : Throw Spines /Empty
Slot[19] Level 35 : Phase Shift /Empty
Slot[20] Level 38 : Moment Of Glory /Empty

This would be sweet character.    Quills is mucho more flexible than Claws, and a far less common choice with all the Wolverine fans out there.   Stamina + Quick Recovery assure I'll be getting as much endurance as possible, and I took Phase Shift instead of Revive because if I'm quick enough on the Phase Shift button *how can I die?*

I had changed my mind on doing this because I was thinking I'd get Swift and Hurdle and use those as my only travel powers, but really even massively enhanced I don't think they'd hold a candle to Super Speed and Combat Jumping -- but they do have the advantage in that they never need to be turned on and cost zero endurance.   It's not like I wouldn't have the time to level this bastard up between job contacts.   Arrgh, curse you chronic character indecision syndrome.

Another downside of this template is no defencive buffs until level 24 when I pick up Stealth.   My current character (Nanite 1.0) will get both Combat Jumping *and* Stealth which is a doubled Def buff.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: May 07, 2004, 03:35:32 PM

I collected Swift this evening btw, pretty happy with it actually - if only for getting around the empty bits of a mission quickly and for conteracting the self slow effect of steamy mist.

I don't think it will be getting any additional enahncement slots mind you.

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: May 08, 2004, 08:15:53 AM

Quote from: geldonyetich

Quills is mucho more flexible than Claws, and a far less common choice with all the Wolverine fans out there.

I was grouped with a level 18 quills scrapper last night in Faultline.  He was very cool, I tried a quills scrapper in Beta and didn't like it at low levels but this guy rocked.

You know that problem all scrappers have of not having any long range damage abilities?  Quills does not have that problem, he was basically a cross between a scrapper and a blaster.

Having someone who could melee and pull was quite usefull.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: May 08, 2004, 08:04:27 PM

Apparently some other people are feeling the creativity burn as well.  Started up a broadsword scrapper and ran into no less than four sword-wieling scrappers in an hour of hunting around atlas park.  Three of them broadswords, which was unexpected considering katanas have the cool factor going for them.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Swift vs Hurdle  
Jump to: