Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:15:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: 18 months isn't enough. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 18 months isn't enough.  (Read 927 times)
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

on: September 01, 2005, 08:40:01 AM

Quote from: AP
Pastor Gets 18 Months For Not Paying Taxes On Money Skimmed From Church

POSTED: 6:30 am EDT August 31, 2005

CHICAGO -- A pastor was sentenced Tuesday to 18 months in prison for failing to pay taxes on the roughly $1,000 a week that federal prosecutors say he skimmed from the collection plate.

Hundreds of church members packed a federal courtroom for William Ellis' sentencing to show support for the former bishop of the Apostolic Pentecostal Church, and many were in tears over his punishment.

Ellis, 62, stared down, held his head in one hand and shook it sadly as U.S. District Judge Robert W. Gettleman imposed the sentence -- the minimum called for by federal guidelines.

Ellis allegedly skimmed $525,000 in church money over about five years. He pleaded guilty to a single count of tax fraud in a plea agreement with prosecutors under which six other counts were dropped.

Besides dipping into the weekly collection plate, Ellis allegedly used a church credit card for personal travel and clothes, and bought a life insurance policy and paid for a Mercedes Benz with church funds.

Defense attorney James Montgomery argued the church wasn't swindled because its officers knew that Ellis was dipping into the collections and approved the car payments.

Ellis is due to begin serving his sentence Oct. 17.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1 on: September 01, 2005, 09:34:09 AM

Why is monetary crime not being punished for shit in the US? How long is that panty guy in prison for? The chick that skimmed a quarter mill got probation, this guy gets a year and a half. I remember when I left california, one of the last news reports I heard was that they could no longer prosecute check fraud due to the overwhelming nature of the crime (circa 1993)

Fuck, I gotta go cash in.
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #2 on: September 02, 2005, 03:11:56 AM

What the fuck?  His congregation showed to support him?  YOU'RE THE IDIOTS HE WAS STEALING FROM!!

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: 18 months isn't enough.  
Jump to: