Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 04:50:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: A quick word about Teamspeak if you please 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A quick word about Teamspeak if you please  (Read 4649 times)
Mr_PeaCH
Terracotta Army

on: May 05, 2004, 07:56:46 AM

First off; I can't help but notice that SG chat is pretty quite most nights.  Is this because most players here are using Teamspeak?  I have the teamspeak address and password and have downloaded the software, that's not the point.  But I seem to have 'issues' with TS and I'm hoping people here can clear me up or point me in the right direction.

What sort of hardware/mic arrangement do people use or prefer?  Whenever I set up (in the past) people complain that my volume is too high or too low and mostly too 'reverby'.  I even tested out a new (second) computer last night that I was going to devote to being my TS 'puter and it was a total disaster, feedback issues.  Is there too much ambient noise in my room (had a necessary fan running on the floor).

What I'll try and go back to is a cheap headset with mic that I just plug in the microphone portion... so I get sound from the game and TS through my speakers and the mic is close enough if I just slip the headset around my neck and bend it back up.

But do 'hardcore' TS'ers go for full headset arrangements or what's the general concensus for TS.

(You all *are* using TS aren't you... it would be creepy quiet in SG chat if this were not the case.)

COME ON YOU SPURS!
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: May 05, 2004, 08:02:09 AM

A few of us are using teamspeak yes. The groups that use teamspeak tend to have less deaths than the groups that don't (of what I've seen). I'm sure sonic purge will step in here and...

sigh.
My bad, forgot to add you to a certain usergroup. Just click on this link:

http://www.f13.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=367
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #2 on: May 05, 2004, 08:08:05 AM

There seems to be a regular TS crew, though I've not bothered the last couple of days as I'm usually playing am hours during the week.  I have something Righ tossed at me called Plantronics.  I plug the mic in, but leave the speakers on... that way I don't muss my 'do.  It's safer for me, anyway, as I have a bit of bad luck when it comes to getting things stuck in my hair.  I will never again go through the sort of mockery I endured  when I had to cut my mouse out of my hair. :(  

You uncaring bastards, you.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Mr_PeaCH
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: May 05, 2004, 08:23:21 AM

Fuckin' A!  Thx Schild et al

COME ON YOU SPURS!
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: May 05, 2004, 08:38:13 AM

If you are having problems with feedback, just plugging in the mic portion is what might be causing it.  The mic will pickup the speaker noise and that will cause the feedback loop.  Best results should come from using headphones only (no speakers) and a mic.
schild
Administrator

Reply #5 on: May 05, 2004, 08:40:54 AM

I have Soundblaster Audigy Platinum (1, not 2) and use a seperate Mic and run my speakers through all the other direct outputs. I get no feedback and the reverb is minimal if at all. It's great.
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: May 05, 2004, 08:43:25 AM

I know, I ran my speakers in Planetside with no problems also, but just trying to troubleshoot here.  If he is getting feedback the only thing I can figure out as the cause is the mic picking up speaker sound.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #7 on: May 05, 2004, 10:49:10 AM

I use full headphone/mic setup, it seems to work well. I can actually hear whats goign on in the game a lot better then with as mic and speakers. Also, I dont bug my GF so much with her having to listen to all you guys.

Also, make sure you set TS to have a keyboard activation, not activate on sound.

And yeah, thats why guild chat is very inactive, also, as we seem to have 3 different supergroups going, TS is the only real way to chat with every one.
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

The Anne Coulter of MMO punditry

Reply #8 on: May 05, 2004, 11:30:53 AM

I had a real fun time with team speak because my computer is suffering from several forms of audio retardation.  

The on-board AC97 sound works great for output but for some reason the mic channel has severe noise.   I'm regularly using the Line-In for video recording from my ATI AiW Radeon 9700, so that's not an option unless I want to drag my computer out of it's cubby every time I want to swap.

So I tried plugging in a Sound Blaster Live! card to use instead of the AC97.   Unfortunately due to some sort of conflict between my having a VIA Chipset and a slaved Maxtor hard drive the right audio channel is entirely dead, and if that wasn't enough to make it useless for audio output, there's some crackling on there from time to time.  

No problem, I made my Sound Blaster Live! do the input, and my AC97 do the output.  This worked surprisingly well, until it started to get hot around here.    My CPU which will at times crest 70 degrees C from prolonged heavy processing was now going over 75 degrees C.   Experience has shown at about that point I'll start suffering nasty computational errors that cause crashes and whatnot.    In this case, I was getting a blank blue screen that required a boot.    The problem, I suspect, is that my Sound Blaster Live! card was obscuring the airflow from my VPU and so that hot air just milled around inside of the case and made things hotter.

So this almost interesting yarn is why I'll be strictly output-only on Teamspeak for awhile.    Hmm... perhaps if I inserted a PCI cooling device between  the video card and the sound card...

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #9 on: May 05, 2004, 12:15:53 PM

I use a Labtec headphone/mic combo that costs about $15. Works like a charm, sounds great, even with my SB Live.

However, SB Live's are the fucking devil and as soon as I can afford to, I'm replacing that piece of shit with something inexpensive that doesn't suck and isn't Creative. I still get odd beeps and boops out of that fucking card when my hard drive is accessed, and it's mainly because it's a VIA chipset. Fuck you, Creative. Fuck you for continuing to sell a product you refuse to put any support into.

Daydreamer
Contributor

Reply #10 on: May 05, 2004, 12:26:41 PM

Fear me, for I am hardcore - I wear two headsets simultaneously.  One is my moderately high-quality blast-out-my-eardrums-while-my-roomate-slumbers headphones, the other is a crappy free-with-software-bundle mic-only setup.  Gonna see if I can get a decent mic from the local electronics store now that I have a use for one.

Immaginative Immersion Games  ... These are your role playing games, adventure games, the same escapist pleasure that we get from films and page-turner novels and schizophrenia. - David Wong at PointlessWasteOfTime.com
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: A quick word about Teamspeak if you please  
Jump to: