Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:31:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Archived: We distort. We decide.  |  Topic: MMOG News 5/05/04: Betas 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: MMOG News 5/05/04: Betas  (Read 9561 times)
cevik
I'm Special

I've always wondered about the All Black People Eat Watermelons

on: May 04, 2004, 11:27:29 PM

The above space is available for purchase.  Send a Private Message for a complete price list and payment information.  Thank you for your business.
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: May 05, 2004, 06:33:40 AM

Now THAT's an update.  New news, sex changes... almost feels like the good old days when there was actually new stuff to talk about.
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: May 05, 2004, 06:36:25 AM

Auto Assault looks like it'll be damn fun. The engine looks very similar to the CoH graphics engine even though Cryptic isn't making it. And they're using Havok 2 physics. And it looks as though they've decided to go with the mission based levelling scheme that is gaining popularity with CoH and WoW. It's got PvP, too. Now, it's possible to die in a car fire... and live to tell the story!

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
schild
Administrator

Reply #3 on: May 05, 2004, 06:40:41 AM

I will beta test Auto Assault, however, I fear it will be incredibly shitty. If only because cars have a particularly shitty history of translation to the PC. It may be that I'll need to get a control pad, but personally, if the option is there, I'd rather run around on my 2 feet with an AVRiL or rocket launcher and just blow the fuck outta the people in their souped up nissan monster cars.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: May 05, 2004, 07:26:09 AM

I also hope in auto assult that you can get out of the cars and administer some hidden rpg loving to folks cars.

I would deffinatly like to test it out I love car wars and a carwars like mmrpg could be a blast if it is done well.

Kaid
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: May 05, 2004, 08:10:11 AM

Don't tell me you are using mouse/keyboard to play car games and complaining that none of them play well on the pc?  Because that would be pretty stupid.  There are a TON of games that have made the pc translation beautifully.  And you need a good joystick or wheel for them.  I suppose a good gamepad would work, but you don't really have enough throw to make fine adjustments on a small thumbstick.

I still remember the joy that was the first Papyrus indycar game on pc.
Any of the need for speed games were all FAR better on PC than on consoles.
Destruction Derby 2 from psygnosis was a freaking BLAST.
TOCA race driving plays FAR better with a good force feedback flightstick or wheel than a tiny thumbstick and a pad that vibrates.
Midtown Madness 1 and 2, wow.
Interstate 76 and 82

A racing game is all about the controller.  And keyboard and mouse are NOT valid controllers for car games.  Heck, if you are happy with your console controllers spend $10 and get a pc adapter.  Although a good flightstick or wheel is better.

Just had to get that off my chest.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #6 on: May 05, 2004, 09:43:31 AM

Of course, being that Auto Assault is being made by the people who made Jumpgate, don't assume you will have a good car physics translation like in Need for Speed.

The graphics looked clowny to me. I'm interested in it enough to pay attention when someone shows me new stuff on it, but not enough to say it won't suck.

WayAbvPar

Reply #7 on: May 05, 2004, 10:49:40 AM

Seeing the webpage for Auto Assault leaves me a bit cold. I was hoping for some sort of Car Wars clone, and this seems more like Fallout with vehicles. It may still be fun, but I am craving some Car Wars goodness. Hell, someone could update the graphics on Autoduel and I would buy it in a heartbeat.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
DarkDryad
Terracotta Army

da hizzookup

Reply #8 on: May 05, 2004, 11:07:10 AM

Back to the topic of your link. Yes they suck.. GOOOOOOO WINGS!

BWL is funny tho.  It's like watching a Special Needs school take a field trip to a minefield.
cevik
I'm Special

Reply #9 on: May 05, 2004, 11:08:59 AM

Quote from: DarkDryad
Back to the topic of your link. Yes they suck.. GOOOOOOO WINGS!

Heh, the wings lost to Calgary, you'll have to cheer for them next season..

Was anyone else completely unimpressed with the quality of the screenshots in AA?  I was really disapointed when I saw those.  The background stuff looks okay, but the cars are like ugly..

The above space is available for purchase.  Send a Private Message for a complete price list and payment information.  Thank you for your business.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #10 on: May 05, 2004, 11:17:16 AM

Like I said, the cars looked clowny, like at any moment, they'll stop and disgorge like 30 fuckers in big, red noses and floppy size 40 shoes.

Go LIGHTNING (my pick for Stanley Cup champions)! Leafs suck.

Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: May 05, 2004, 11:48:40 AM

Another year, another failure for the leafs. 38 and counting, keep 'em coming LOSERS.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #12 on: May 05, 2004, 11:56:56 AM

Hey, count yourself lucky. You COULD be Cubs fans.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #13 on: May 05, 2004, 12:02:39 PM

Putting the derail on ice for sec (yuk, yuk)....

It may be that I'll need to get a control pad

No doubt. I have a dual analog stick/rumble pack type thing, and it's indispensible. I use it for driving in things like GTA, and flying for BF1942, things that I feel totally suck with keyboard controls.

Now I'm looking at the Saitek wireless, possibly the Logitech, gamepad because I have my USB pad stretched all the way across the living room and can't recline on the couch to use it (yes I'm whining about having an extravagent setup, only a leetle beet though).
Any of the need for speed games were all FAR better on PC than on consoles.

NFS:HP2 for TEN BUCKS is why my USB controller is stretched across the living room :)
 Heck, if you are happy with your console controllers spend $10 and get a pc adapter.

Do you know of an xbox controller to pc adapter with actual drivers (not the one you can get on lik-sang and then scour the net for its drivers)? My right analog stick gave up the ghost and my repair didn't turn out so hot, so I'm looking for something new. I'd like to get wireless, but if I could buy a wireless xbox controller and kill a couple birds with one Power Bolt...
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: May 05, 2004, 12:14:30 PM

I have seen adapters around, but don't have anything positive or negative to say about them.  I was going to use my xbox controller on my pc but then my wife won a $500 eb gift certificate and I just bought a pc gamepad instead.

I just have a ps2->usb converter for stepmania and a ps2 dancepad.  That one works very well (once we figured out how to switch it to dancepad mode) and is called um.... SmartJoy adapter I think.  It was $12 where we bought the pad.

That does not help you though.  If you are anything like me you think the ps1/2 pads suck ass and you love the xbox pad.  You would also probably be one of 5 people on the planet that think that.
cevik
I'm Special

Reply #15 on: May 05, 2004, 12:25:38 PM

Quote from: Speedy Cerviche
Another year, another failure for the leafs. 38 and counting, keep 'em coming LOSERS.

To be fair, I'm actually a Dallas Stars fan, which means for years I was an Eddie Belfour fan, which is why I was cheering for the Leafs this year..

Actually I've become an anyone but the Devils fan, because I hate the Devils for taking away the sure thing Stars back to back Stanley cups in 2000..

NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #16 on: May 05, 2004, 12:29:23 PM

Boo for the leafs. They played great in the 6th game. It's a shame they got cocky and left eddie to fend for himself. Better luck next year.

Those AA screenshots.. I tell ya. Weird. The most I see coming out of this is a deal with Hot Wheels.
Rodent
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: May 06, 2004, 02:11:20 AM

Quote from: cevik

To be fair, I'm actually a Dallas Stars fan, which means for years I was an Eddie Belfour fan, which is why I was cheering for the Leafs this year..

Actually I've become an anyone but the Devils fan, because I hate the Devils for taking away the sure thing Stars back to back Stanley cups in 2000..

Devils ROCK! Ok well, not always, but on a good day.

And horray for Detroids and Colorados losses, this has brought Lidström and Forsberg to Sweden to beat you evil americans on saturday.

Congrats to beating the Czecks though, a mighty fine game.

Wiiiiii!
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: May 06, 2004, 06:19:16 AM

If the game has good gameplay I will play it.  Having just looked at the screenshots it certainly looks odd to me as well.  The ruined city backdrops are pretty good looking really, but the cars look like hotwheels cars.  They don't fit at all.  At least not against that background.

If it plays well I will forgive all that, but better looking cars for a post apocalyptic world should be implemented.  They did say there were three sides though, and one of them sounded like robots or cyborgs, so maybe the vehicles shown so far are theirs.  In that case nobody will play that stupid side and the rest of us might be able to enjoy humans vs mutants.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #19 on: May 06, 2004, 09:35:28 AM

Wow, a dual derail with the original topic still going on. This is a piece of art imo.

If you are anything like me you think the ps1/2 pads suck ass and you love the xbox pad.  You would also probably be one of 5 people on the planet that think that

The PS2 pads aren't that bad, but I don't like the PS2, so I'm not used to them...and I already own the xbox pads. I do like the xbox S, but the original xbox was horrid imo, and I'm still not real happy about the black and white buttons vs 4 shoulder buttons. I like the triggers, but I also don't like FPS on the xbox, soo.....
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #20 on: May 06, 2004, 09:40:04 AM

I LIKE the original X-Box controllers. The S controller isn't bad, but I like the bigger pads. They just feel better in my hands. I hate the PS2 controller. It's too small, though not as bad as the Gamecube, and I can never hold it comfortably.

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #21 on: May 06, 2004, 10:44:53 AM

Holy shit, I have something in common with Cevik, who would have guessed. My worst memory of the Stars was that Cup against the Devils when Brodeur's wife was CONSTANTLY being shown with that freaking rally towel hiding her face when the action got stiff. I wanted to beat that bitch bloody for wearing a NJ Cowboy hat and ESPN/ABC for obviously tilting the commentary to the Devils. They certainly didn't want a repeat.

I loved Eddie when he was at the Stars, crazy days and all. And I loved Andy Moog before Eddie made his shift over from SJ. I still have my '93 Stars Andy Moog Black jersey that I wear to every hockey game. I'm still amazed at how many fans look at it and ask who Moog is. He's even on coach on the team now for heaven's sake. Sad how the fanbase in Dallas shifted to the rich know-nothings so fast.

Now I'm in Atlanta, and the grassroots feeling of hockey excitement is back. Sure they suck, but they are on the rise and not the plateau, which gives me hope. The fans are rowdy and the action is good with guys like Kovalchuk, Heatley, Savard, and Sutton. If the goaltending situation comes together, look out for them to make the playoffs next season. Unfortunately, this season we had to deal with the Lightning in our division, so they are my pick for the Cup as well. GO BOLTS!

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
cevik
I'm Special

Reply #22 on: May 07, 2004, 09:38:29 AM

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/auto-assault/512060p1.html">A Gamespy preview of Auto Assault.

WayAbvPar

Reply #23 on: May 07, 2004, 09:46:36 AM

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/auto-assault/512060p1.html">A Gamespy preview of Auto Assault.

I like the sounds of the interactive environment, but I think Gamespy's concern with lag is a legitimate one. If you get more than a few cars onscreen blowing the shit out of things, framerates are gonna go through the floor.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
cevik
I'm Special

Reply #24 on: May 07, 2004, 09:49:30 AM

Car combat, while the heart of the game, isn't the whole experience. While the team was short on details, they did reveal that all the traditional MMO accoutrements will be in Auto Assault. PvP will be consensual, and there will, in fact, be arenas where players can compete with each other in races, gladiatorial events, and demolition derbies for cash and prizes. There is a mission structure and a campaign for each of the three races in place. In fact, even as I was watching the combat, messages appeared on the screen in a CB-like format, offering updates about road conditions and opportunities to complete solo or cooperative assignments.

The emphasis was mine, but that's a frightening thing.  I can't imagine it being very fun to spend our time killing mobs to level up our tricked out cars.  I assumed with the nice 3 way war setup and the content of the game as a whole, that this would be a Planetside style full PvP (and pretty much only PvP) game.

Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: May 07, 2004, 01:40:37 PM

It does not sound like killing mobs, more like mission based advancement, but the game needs full pvp.  What, are cars outside of the pvp area non-corporeal?  Otherwise how do you keep someone from ramming your ass?  Or does it just not do any damage?  And if so, griefing will be the norm and there will be nothing you can do about the fuck who keeps ramming you into a wall.

And non-corporeal cars would be the dumbest thing I have ever heard of.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Archived: We distort. We decide.  |  Topic: MMOG News 5/05/04: Betas  
Jump to: