Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:02:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: Questions 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Questions  (Read 9173 times)
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

on: August 25, 2005, 02:19:34 PM

Per the subject line:

-How does SP work exactly?  I bought some armor from the guild guy, and it had an SP req.  Is this based on my personal SP or the Guilds total?
-How does grouping work exactly?  When you group with someone higher level then you, it seems to boost your level.  Explain this mechanic please.  Bonus points for explaining mentoring!
-Armor mitigation.  Is that just an overall % to block non-magical attacks or what?  I went from 15%-25% today; so am I looking at a flat 10% decrease to damage?

Thanks for any info you guys can give!

edit. Typo
« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 03:06:44 PM by Cheddar »

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #1 on: August 25, 2005, 02:37:56 PM

Status points are earned by doing writs, heritage quests and handing in status loot. A porttion of what you earn for yourself will go to your guild. A typical heritage quest garners over 40,000SP while writs are in the 1000-1500SP range and status loot is 100-300SP. When you buy something with SP, your personal total is reduced but your guild contribution is not. [edit: I am not sure you can even get writs if unguilded.]

Grouping does not boost your level at all. I don't know what you are asking about here.

If someone mentors you, they become the same level as you. They lose access to any CAs above the mentored level and their gear gets adjusted down somehow. Gear never becomes unequippable, though, if you mentor down. The mentoree gets 5% exp bonus while mentored. Up to 5 people can mentor down to one person. Each additional mentor adds 1% less of an exp bonus, i.e. 5 mentors give you 5+4+3+2+1, not 25%.

Mitigation only affects physical damage, yes. If your mit goes up by 10 points and you are fighting the same mobs, then you should be taking 10% less damage ON AVERAGE over a battle.

I have never played WoW.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: August 25, 2005, 02:57:50 PM

Status points are earned by doing writs, heritage quests and handing in status loot. A porttion of what you earn for yourself will go to your guild. A typical heritage quest garners over 40,000SP while writs are in the 1000-1500SP range and status loot is 100-300SP. When you buy something with SP, your personal total is reduced but your guild contribution is not. [edit: I am not sure you can even get writs if unguilded.]
You cannot get writs while unguilded.  The amount of Guild Exp the guild recieves is based off the amount of SP you recieve.  The guild recieves SP awarded/max(num(patrons), 12) as guild exp.  So for example if you perform a writ worth 1200SP then the guild will recieve 100 Guild Exp.  Bat country has less than 12 patrons so the number of patrons used for the Guild Exp award calculation is set to 12.  I think the max it can be divided by is 24.  Yes, this benefits large guilds with more than 24 patrons but makes all guilds with between 12 and 24 patrons equivalent.
Grouping does not boost your level at all. I don't know what you are asking about here.
I think being grouped affects the con system though so you are effectively a higher level for con purposes while grouped.
If someone mentors you, they become the same level as you. They lose access to any CAs above the mentored level and their gear gets adjusted down somehow. Gear never becomes unequippable, though, if you mentor down. The mentoree gets 5% exp bonus while mentored. Up to 5 people can mentor down to one person. Each additional mentor adds 1% less of an exp bonus, i.e. 5 mentors give you 5+4+3+2+1, not 25%.
Good to know about the exp bonus.  So unless we are fighting tough mobs we should probably mentor down to the level of the lowest member of the group to help them catch up.
Mitigation only affects physical damage, yes. If your mit goes up by 10 points and you are fighting the same mobs, then you should be taking 10% less damage ON AVERAGE over a battle.
The number shown on the persona screen is mitigation vs. an opponent of the same level.  Your mitigation will be much higher when fighting mobs of a lower level than you and much lower when fighting high level mobs, same goes for avoidence.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #3 on: August 25, 2005, 03:09:29 PM

It all makes sense now.  And yes Murgos, I have grouped with high levels before and noticed the cons changed.  I assumed that meant my powers were adjusted to that of the higher level person.  We all know what assuming does though...

That bonus for mentoring is "The Bomb."  Signe I am looking your way, get ready for some PL lovin'.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #4 on: August 25, 2005, 05:41:02 PM

Why am I suddenly afraid?

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #5 on: August 25, 2005, 08:18:33 PM

Why am I suddenly afraid?

Child, my child, there is nothing to fear when you are with me.  Enter my world, take my hand.  Just do not make direct eye contact with the green man in the corner.

Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #6 on: August 25, 2005, 08:54:08 PM

New question!

How important are stats?  Is there a guide out there that breaks down the difference between 15 and 16 strength?  It can be tough deciding wether it is worth losing a couple points of INT for +10 mitigation. 

Also does sitting down help health/mana regen?

Edit. Other people can ask game related questions here also! Come on ask those little things you have been wondering and/or trying to figure out! 
« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 09:11:16 PM by Cheddar »

Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #7 on: August 26, 2005, 05:59:36 AM

I know sitting down has no effect on regen like in EQ1.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: August 26, 2005, 07:17:30 AM

New question!

How important are stats?  Is there a guide out there that breaks down the difference between 15 and 16 strength?  It can be tough deciding wether it is worth losing a couple points of INT for +10 mitigation. 

There are diminishing returns after each 100.  I.e. you get more from each point in an attribute under 100 than you do from one which is over 100 which is more than you do from one which is over 200, etc...  From what I've read the change is so great after the first 100 that anything over is kind of just farting in the wind AND that with level 50 gear all your stats will be well over 100 anyway so don't stress it.  That said the general consensus is push your primary attribute(s) as high as it can go without making huge sacrifices.  For mages each point of INT increases your power pool AND your effectiveness, damage goes up, your opponents chance to resist goes down etc...

There is actually quite a bit of parsed info out there from thousands of combats if you really want to look for it.

From the upcoming big update:
Stats

* Higher Strength increases your bonus to melee damage.
    * Increasing your Agility improves your chance to avoid an attack.
    * Higher Intelligence increases your bonus to spell damage.
    * Increasing your Wisdom improves your resistances to arcane damage types (Heat, Cold, Poison, Disease, Magic, Divine, and Mental).
    * The effectiveness of Strength, Agility, Intelligence, and Wisdom buffs has been increased. The effective cap is set at 10 times the character's level. For example, a level 30 fighter will receive an increasing melee damage bonus up to 300 Strength, while a level 40 wizard will receive an increasing bonus to spell damage up to 400 Intelligence.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2005, 07:35:17 AM by Murgos »

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Fargull
Contributor

Reply #9 on: August 26, 2005, 08:39:41 AM

EQ2 is really lacking solo play ability, which is where WOW shines.  EQ2; however, shines with grouping.  I have only been on scatteredly since I started jumping around playing the evil side for a game in another thread that I can not talk about.

"I have come to believe that a great teacher is a great artist and that there are as few as there are any other great artists. Teaching might even be the greatest of the arts since the medium is the human mind and spirit." John Steinbeck
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #10 on: August 26, 2005, 08:49:36 AM

EQ2 is really lacking solo play ability, which is where WOW shines.  EQ2; however, shines with grouping.  I have only been on scatteredly since I started jumping around playing the evil side for a game in another thread that I can not talk about.

Strange, I mostly solo.  I have both a Druid and a Wizard.  If anything grouping slows me down, though it can be fun.  IMO EQ2 is very solo friendly!

Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #11 on: August 26, 2005, 09:47:00 AM

Strange, I mostly solo.  I have both a Druid and a Wizard.  If anything grouping slows me down, though it can be fun.  IMO EQ2 is very solo friendly!
It is now.  At launch it was okay to solo under lvl 10, time consuming and hard through the teens, and next to impossible once past lvl 20 as per the old "group or die" mentality at SOE.  Then everyone quit to go play WoW and SOE changed their minds.
Sauced
Terracotta Army

Bat Country '05 Fantasy Football Champion

Reply #12 on: August 26, 2005, 10:08:31 AM

Miasma... thanks for the uber food and drink!

Question, before I consume any of it though.  The system is wonky enough where I can't really tell if the effects wear off when you log, so I just wanted to double check before I use it up.  The 5 hours or whatever, that's gonna stick with me even after I log?  Cause at my current rate, it'll take me at least 2 weeks to play for 5 hours.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #13 on: August 26, 2005, 10:17:42 AM

Miasma... thanks for the uber food and drink!

Question, before I consume any of it though.  The system is wonky enough where I can't really tell if the effects wear off when you log, so I just wanted to double check before I use it up.  The 5 hours or whatever, that's gonna stick with me even after I log?  Cause at my current rate, it'll take me at least 2 weeks to play for 5 hours.

It stays with you even if you log.  Miasma is my fucking hero, due to these rockin' provisions he provides.  I have much love for this man (hetero type you wierdos).

Fargull
Contributor

Reply #14 on: August 26, 2005, 10:27:24 AM

Cheddar,

Was more meaning that solo play in EQII bores me to tears, while in WOW it was okay.  To be honest, the movement speed in both games makes me punchy.

"I have come to believe that a great teacher is a great artist and that there are as few as there are any other great artists. Teaching might even be the greatest of the arts since the medium is the human mind and spirit." John Steinbeck
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #15 on: August 26, 2005, 10:52:59 AM

I find the solo play portion fairly engaging.  I love the fact that I can do a quest and have no idea where it leads me!  Like last night.  I began a simple delivery quest and ended up searching for a guys senile grandfather in an instant mission.  I also like the way they handle instancing; it is not overdone, but used to give one a more unique experience.  Another thing is the idea of finding random items that open up quests.  I mean it is not original mind you, but the execution keeps me engaged.  And despite all the moans about post 20 play I am having no problems whatsoever.  My only problem is levelling is EASY.  I mean its a good thing but I am having to purposely go slow due to some people being MIA and/or to busy collecting pretty hats.  I will not mention names though.

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: August 26, 2005, 11:13:30 AM

My only problem is levelling is EASY.  I mean its a good thing but I am having to purposely go slow due to some people being MIA and/or to busy collecting pretty hats.  I will not mention names though.

Yeah, I'm debating just going ahead.  I have been on consistantly but not more than 2 and half hours a day and a lot of that time I've spent gathering resources or screwing around killing time trying not to level and I'm still leveling out of most peoples ranges.

Sauced
Terracotta Army

Bat Country '05 Fantasy Football Champion

Reply #17 on: August 26, 2005, 11:18:34 AM

I have every intention of playing more, but with family in town next week and going out of town the week after that... well...

Hell, I've been 19 for a week now.   undecided
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #18 on: August 26, 2005, 11:19:09 AM

My only problem is levelling is EASY.  I mean its a good thing but I am having to purposely go slow due to some people being MIA and/or to busy collecting pretty hats.  I will not mention names though.

Yeah, I'm debating just going ahead.  I have been on consistantly but not more than 2 and half hours a day and a lot of that time I've spent gathering resources or screwing around killing time trying not to level and I'm still leveling out of most peoples ranges.

Well with my newfound knowledge of the Mentoring system I think all bets are off.  I am at 21 1/2 now, and want more shiny.  I love EQ2 shiny, it arouses me.  Also I love the collection system.  

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #19 on: August 26, 2005, 12:10:16 PM

If you plan to mentor a bit, it helps to have alternate quick bars set up with skills 3-10 levels below you already organized.

I have never played WoW.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #20 on: August 26, 2005, 12:31:55 PM

If you plan to mentor a bit, it helps to have alternate quick bars set up with skills 3-10 levels below you already organized.

Good advice! Luckily almost all my high level spells are just buffed up versions of earlier spells, so swapping should be relatively painless.  Thank you.

Toast
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: August 26, 2005, 01:29:38 PM

I'm in the game now on the Bat Country server.  Hello Kitty

Details:
Name:  Hurty
Class: Fighter (lowbie)

Any advice on the archetypes in the fighter tree?

I'll look for yall online to say hello...

A good idea is a good idea forever.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #22 on: August 26, 2005, 01:36:01 PM

Details:

I am logging in to add you to the guild right now. 

Edit.  You are not on.  Someone else can get you later or I will tonight.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2005, 01:39:48 PM by Cheddar »

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #23 on: August 26, 2005, 01:53:30 PM

Details:

Depends what you want to do. If you want to be the sturdy tank, then Guardian. Bezerkers are losing the fun "bezerk" stuff in the combat update so be wary of that path (which happens to be my main on Perma). The Brawler line is getting a nice dps boost in that same update so consider that seriously.

I have never played WoW.
Toast
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: August 26, 2005, 02:33:19 PM

Sorry, Cheddar. I'm still stuck at work. I was speaking in a macro sense when I said that I am in the game now.

I'll get on this evening and hopefully join the gang.

I think I'm going to go monk. Thanks for the info, Shiznitz.

A good idea is a good idea forever.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #25 on: August 26, 2005, 02:41:44 PM

Sorry, Cheddar. I'm still stuck at work. I was speaking in a macro sense when I said that I am in the game now.

I forgive you.  Do not let it happen again.

Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #26 on: August 26, 2005, 04:58:41 PM

I forgive you.  Do not let it happen again.
You have gone mad with the moderate amount of power Schild gave you.  wink
schild
Administrator

Reply #27 on: August 26, 2005, 05:20:48 PM

Power? I have a thousand years of power.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #28 on: August 26, 2005, 06:22:49 PM

Power? I have a thousand years of power.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #29 on: August 26, 2005, 09:27:32 PM

Off topic side thought to go with our side topic that is off topic of the original post:

This entire climb wall thing is seriously beginning to annoy me.  Seriously.  Whoever the Program Manager is for the upcoming expansion needs a serious talking along with a demotion.  If the most exciting thing you have to tell me, show me, shove down my goddamn eyes is people utilizing your Z axis (which BTW is seriously lacking in EQ2) then you have poor management in developement.  Call me naive, but the last thing I want to get SPUN up about is the fact that I can climb a fucking wall.  Who decided the market plan for this? 

WE ARE ON TO FOURTH GENERATION MMORPGS. THIS IS NOT EXCITING.

Regardless of wether the expansion does well or not, this guy needs redress along with relocation.  Or guys.  Someone gave Junior Dipshit (I assume it is a Junior level peon who decided to market shit this way). 

Now explain to me why a skeleton at the bottom of the ocean can reach up and touch me.  Cannot?  Oh thats right, we were busy designing graphics for climbing walls.  This shit makes me want to go play WoW.

Note: I was looking up information on stuff and time and again ran into this advertising.  Sometimes blatant, sometimes subtle, always on my nerves.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: Questions  
Jump to: