Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:23:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: In light of there being no cap on supergroups... 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: In light of there being no cap on supergroups...  (Read 13376 times)
schild
Administrator

on: May 04, 2004, 02:23:09 PM

Everyone who wants into Bat Country is in. Send a tell to Whipcrack, Mr. Ripley, The Stygian, or Mr. Corporate. HOWEVER - this pertains only to f13.net people. If someone doesn't have an alias on here, I'm just going to kick them out.

In other news, I have created the more serious guild, Bazooko's Circus, as of this morning in response to how much people like fighting Fifth Column. I will be posting a backstory and whatnot. But for now there are three important rules to get in:

1. A somewhat serious name. How can you get one? Use a  translator and go from English to German.

2. Make your outfit look somewhat 5th columnesqe (i.e. vampire, werewolves, dark mechs, and nazis).

3. Take it a wee bit more seriously than Bat Country (even though most everyone takes Bat Country seriously, it seems.)

I'm thinking of forcing teamspeak also. Not sure though.

Oh oh, I almost forgot.

Your character HAS to be of Natural or I believe Science. That way we'll get the maximum number of 5th column missions.

One more thing...sigh...I'm making this supergroup as a vain attempt to get into the comic book as it seems many people in bat country want to.

EDIT: The obvious things are hard.
2nd EDIT: Old banana chips are hard.
Daydreamer
Contributor

Reply #1 on: May 04, 2004, 04:14:03 PM

Any tips on where to look for pics of the high level nazis?

Immaginative Immersion Games  ... These are your role playing games, adventure games, the same escapist pleasure that we get from films and page-turner novels and schizophrenia. - David Wong at PointlessWasteOfTime.com
Mr_PeaCH
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: May 04, 2004, 04:23:02 PM

Why wouldn't Bat Country stand as good or better a chance on it's own merits?  I'm just asking, you've obviously thought about it.  I guess I would just assume they'd cater more to large supergroups than smaller albeit themed ones.

Anyhoo... I'll just go ahead and reserve the character "Der Pfersich" just in case I get the call to "catass to vanity!"

COME ON YOU SPURS!
schild
Administrator

Reply #3 on: May 04, 2004, 04:56:58 PM

Actually I think Bat Country has a great chance. But we have enough people playing almost all the time that 2 guilds is better than one. And it diversifies the supergroups. One themed with a few of each persons alts in it, then another with the persons main toon in it.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #4 on: May 04, 2004, 06:22:20 PM

Ok, I'm confused.  Why do you want to look like a nazi and have a German name to fight nazis.  Sounds like you'd want to join them.  Wouldn't it be better to go the GI Joe looking route for this sort of thing?

I like Morphiend's outfit, too... but I don't want to be him. (though I love him dearly)  I already get him confused with the 5th Column... I keep targetting him and wondering why he doesn't fall down.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
schild
Administrator

Reply #5 on: May 04, 2004, 06:26:58 PM

Bazooko's Circus is the 6th reich, trying to overthrow the 5th Column which is the...yea, you guessed it.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #6 on: May 04, 2004, 07:15:50 PM

Wouldn't that still make you villians though?

*head explodes*

-Rasix
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #7 on: May 04, 2004, 10:40:36 PM

For battling the 5th column, you're probably gonna need characters like Captain America, the Shield, the Statesman, or Miss Liberty...Fat chance for me to get in the comics too, as the best I've come up with is "El Presidenté".
schild
Administrator

Reply #8 on: May 04, 2004, 10:40:37 PM

Just because there isn't pvp doesn't mean you can't play an anti-hero. Who says I want to fight for good? Maybe I'm the one manipulating my contacts into giving me information. </roleplaying twit>
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #9 on: May 04, 2004, 10:55:39 PM

</roleplaying twit>

Heh, just watch the "Lightning Bolt" video again and feel proud.

Anyways, I guess your point's valid. I've been lvling a Clockwork-like droid with nothing but Clockwork missions, so I guess I can't argue.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #10 on: May 05, 2004, 08:04:33 AM

This sounds like fun. I've done more roleplaying in CoH than I have in total since my roleplaying spirit was horribly mangled in Everquest.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #11 on: May 05, 2004, 08:14:01 AM

Ok, well, let me know what's going on.  I made a new char... Natural Defender, Emp/something else that I forget.  Her name is Frau Zerstorung, after a great aunt also known by that name.

Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: May 05, 2004, 08:19:52 AM

I don't think Science is a good origin.  I have leveled one science origin to 16, another to 11, and have had combined MAYBE 3 5th column missions.  Sciense is VERY heavily Vahz.  Maybe that changes at later level though.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: May 05, 2004, 08:22:27 AM

Natural is heavily 5th Column.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Daeven
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: May 05, 2004, 08:33:13 AM

Hmm. Perhaps I need to actually start playing Feurelementaur.

"There is a technical term for someone who confuses the opinions of a character in a book with those of the author. That term is idiot." -SMStirling

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion
daveNYC
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: May 05, 2004, 10:57:06 AM

Quote from: schild
Bazooko's Circus is the 6th reich, trying to overthrow the 5th Column which is the...yea, you guessed it.

So is this going to be an uber-guild?
schild
Administrator

Reply #16 on: May 05, 2004, 11:13:29 AM

Probably.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #17 on: May 05, 2004, 04:42:27 PM

Well, in light of the end of the month patch... or whatever it is... they will be doing 'stuff' to 5th column missions.  They'll be adding that jail thingy and I'm hoping they'll beef them up overall.  It would be nice if it leads to another group of baddies at high level. (read something on the CoH board about this a while back)  This Bazooko thing could be a good laugh.

Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #18 on: May 05, 2004, 05:00:47 PM

Jail instead of death? Great. I guess I better get used to running my tin cup against the bars and singing "Swing Low Sweet Chariot".
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #19 on: May 05, 2004, 05:08:24 PM

I would really like to try and get in the comic. I dont know why, I just think it would be kind of cool to see my character in print.

Ether of my characters could be in the 6th column/Reich (hey thats a cool name).
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #20 on: May 05, 2004, 08:21:36 PM

Just because there isn't pvp doesn't mean you can't play an anti-hero. Who says I want to fight for good? Maybe I'm the one manipulating my contacts into giving me information. </roleplaying twit>

Well, my new main character (fifth reroll) sort of fits being the embodyment of the North Korean Juche philosophy having been sent into the world by THE GREAT LEADER to clean up the streets of the meddling whore America . Using a combination of unyeilding justice and THE PEOPLE'S WILL, she fights an unending battle against the inferior forces of capitalist aggression.

Sadly, other than digging dictatorships there's not much about her that would fit, so I made a new guy and am working on leveling him - a Invuln/Strength Tank named VonBraun. His costume turned out totally titties, the only way it could be better is if WW2 era german iconography was available. I'd post a screenshot, but my work PC hates the screenshot format.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #21 on: May 06, 2004, 05:58:01 PM

Guns'n'Gadgets Blaster, Nachtermorden. Dressed in night ops-ish gear.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: May 06, 2004, 11:02:38 PM

Since you claim you want to have authentic german words. What the fuck does Nachtermorden mean? The translation of Nightmurder by a bad babelfish program?

It really hurts when your native language is raped to death.
schild
Administrator

Reply #23 on: May 06, 2004, 11:08:15 PM

Ever heard of ebonics?

If not, you have NOTHING to bitch about.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: May 06, 2004, 11:53:52 PM

Your point is what exactly?

If you want mangled German words, thats a dandy concept and fine with me. If you want them authentic, I'm just saying online translators alone are not sufficient because the way the work they translate parts of the words and the whole doesnt make sense anymore. Nacht=Night, ermorden=murder, Nachtermorden=nonexistant. Comprende?

Sorry if your fragile ego saw this as a dig against you, it was a dig against translation programs.
schild
Administrator

Reply #25 on: May 06, 2004, 11:57:13 PM

It's not my frail ego. I'd rather my language be raped by a translation program than by it's OWN people. But yes, I agree, I would rather have authentic german words. May I suggest fixing Sky's mistake instead of being mad about it?
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: May 07, 2004, 12:05:15 AM

If it was indeed Nightmurder he meant, the translation would be Nachtmord.

Tell you what, if somebody isn't sure about the name he chose and wants to check if it makes sense in German, he can send me a PM and I'll check it. Just include what you want it to mean in English because its hard to guess from some babelfished translations.
Dialogue

Email
Reply #27 on: May 07, 2004, 01:32:43 AM

Well, if you're letting just anybody in... :)

I'll come bother you at some point.

Jacob's Ladder Elec/Elec Blaster
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: May 07, 2004, 04:20:24 AM

Hey Tebonas,

Do you think Hakenkreuz would get me TOSed? I doubt most people would even realize what it was, and I might be misunderstanding the whole thing. Regardles, it's a fun word to say.

Shroud
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: May 07, 2004, 04:30:52 AM

I'm sure no one wants a lurker's opinion on this subject but I just had to ask this question.

Do you really think that Cryptic will want to put a group of players pretending to be Nazis in their comic book? If that is, in fact, what you guys are shooting for.

It seems to me that for "political correctness" , they'd steer well clear of a group of people roleplaying nazis. But that's just my opinion of course.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: May 07, 2004, 04:49:43 AM

I can assure you about everybody over here knows what Hakenkreuz means, and it is associated with bad bad things. Swastika is the term more rarely used, but still recognized.

To show you the mindset over here, Castle Wolfenstein was forbidden in Germany, and one of the reasons named was the Swastika that was seen on the overhead map in one of the levels after pushing the right buttons. Yes, even words like spelling nazi make people angry here. I agree that Cryptic will be very cautious if they want to market the game over here as well.
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: May 07, 2004, 04:59:11 AM

Quote from: Tebonas
I can assure you about everybody over here knows what Hakenkreuz means, and it is associated with bad bad things. Swastika is the term more rarely used, but still recognized.

Yeah, i figured they would know what it referred to over there, I was more worried about over here. Where people are losing the ability to speak even their own language. In retrospect, calling myself "A different word for swastika" is probably a super bad idea. I doubt the arguement that it just means "bent cross" would carry much weight. Especially when we're running around being the 6th reich and whatnot. Help me out here man, what would be a good name? Is there a sneaky way of saying "Enormous Penis" that most people would miss yet still sound virile and heroic? Ooooooo, now do you say "Raging Manblast" in German?

And hey, if the Nazi thing falls through, you can all be Bobs. Bobs are like nazis, except they're diametrically to everything nazis stand for and they wear pink. A very un-nazilike color.

I better stop talking about nazis before I'm asked to join Bush's next cabinet.

cevik
I'm Special

I've always wondered about the All Black People Eat Watermelons

Reply #32 on: May 07, 2004, 07:42:12 AM

Quote from: angry.bob
I better stop talking about nazis before I'm asked to join Bush's next cabinet.

I <3 angry.bob.

The above space is available for purchase.  Send a Private Message for a complete price list and payment information.  Thank you for your business.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: May 07, 2004, 08:32:23 AM

I think you entirely missed the point of why people like to kill Nazi's.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
schild
Administrator

Reply #34 on: May 07, 2004, 08:51:56 AM

No, I didn't. But ya know, comic books and shit. If I wanted to kill Nazi's because I have a personal deepseated hatred for them I'd fire up Wolfenstein, get some Manischevitz and start screaming, "What do you think of the Jew's now motherfuckers!!"
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: In light of there being no cap on supergroups...  
Jump to: