Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 08:31:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Things I don't like about CoH 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Things I don't like about CoH  (Read 11949 times)
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #35 on: August 25, 2005, 05:12:00 PM

K, see, I don't know how you pick Lana, Lois, or Chloe over eachother. Kristen Kreuk did do an amazing photoshoot that included this though. Erica Durance and Allison Mack are also hot, but they don't get the phat advertising dollars because they are too girl next door.

Smallville does rock, imho.

Well shit, I wouldn't kick any of them out of bed.  Hell, I do Annette O'Toole on a late night (she looks good for 51).  I just had to make my preference for Allison Mack over Kristen Kruek known.  Allison has a little bit more meat to her, which I prefer.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #36 on: August 25, 2005, 05:39:38 PM

No way I'm looking up who all those people are.  You should refer to them as their television personas so I can stay google-free.  Not that it matters... I actually only watch the show if it happens to be on the TV during a time when I happen to be sitting there, with nothing to do.  It not bad entertainment or anything, just a bit too teen-agery for me, maybe.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #37 on: August 25, 2005, 05:45:36 PM

No way I'm looking up who all those people are.  You should refer to them as their television personas so I can stay google-free.  Not that it matters... I actually only watch the show if it happens to be on the TV during a time when I happen to be sitting there, with nothing to do.  It not bad entertainment or anything, just a bit too teen-agery for me, maybe.

Just look up Smallville on IMDB.com and click on each name if you're curious.  Think they all have pictures there.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #38 on: August 25, 2005, 05:49:22 PM

I'll just wait for the year book to be published. 

By the way... I'd kick them all out of bed and then I'd ground them.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #39 on: August 26, 2005, 10:48:23 AM

K, see, I don't know how you pick Lana, Lois, or Chloe over eachother. Kristen Kreuk did do an amazing photoshoot that included this though. Erica Durance and Allison Mack are also hot, but they don't get the phat advertising dollars because they are too girl next door.

One of the three or four reasons that Schild is my hero, thank you very much.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #40 on: August 26, 2005, 10:59:39 AM

One of the three or four reasons that Schild is my hero, thank you very much.

Aim higher... for all our sakes.
dEOS
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: August 30, 2005, 04:29:57 AM

50 is too far from 1.  40 as top level would have been good. They should have stopped there.

Picking a primary and secondary is tough, since they cannot be respecced.

Levelling curve is too steep.

No tradeskills.

Top level in CoH was 40 a long time ago. I heard 40-50 have great story arcs + original zones (shadow shard) to explore.

Primary/Secondary choice require thoughts and what you want to achieve and come up with a character concept. Letting people respec to what they want would cause more havoc than good. It happened in AC2: you could unlearned every skill and remake your choices basically at will. FOTM for leveling became a tough reality. One month every lugian was a tactician, then they were all berzerkers, zerk nerf then they were all back to tacticians. The feeling of achievement for having raised your toon (in my case a raider) was nullified. In CoH, when I see a lvl 30+ mind controller, I have respect for the dedication it takes.

Leveling curve post-25 is being addressed somewhat by raising the XP rewards you get. I agree though that skills come too slowly post-lvl 12 especially since you have to dive into the Fitness pool + travel powers for almost all ATs. Making it easier to raise your toons would cause only one problem: realization that there is no end-game in CoH. Good solid team building is key to fast-leveling in CoH. Pick-up teams have too much downtime, too many people not playing as team members to really be efficient. Find other players with the same dedication as you and go level with them. Did 2 levels 16->18 yesterday with 2 friends in 4h.

No tradeskills: Agreed. As a general thing, CoH is missing a "collecting" part :) We shouldn't be able to get all our enhancements at vendors. Or we should be able to find nicer ones through the loot system, or be able to craft them.

CoH - Freedom
WoW - EU Servers - Sargeras [French-PvP]
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #42 on: September 04, 2005, 10:45:26 PM

Got my "five free days" character past 10 and promptly died. I'd forgotten how much the experience debt in this game sucks.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #43 on: September 05, 2005, 04:01:37 AM

Quote from: I5 Patch Note
Defeats in missions will only result in half the usual debt.

I suppose that if I'm going to die, I now know where to be when I do it.
schild
Administrator

Reply #44 on: September 05, 2005, 04:05:35 AM

I wonder what happens if you die on one of this "Kill 10 x" missions. In other words, is it half debt as long as you're fighting any valid target to complete a mission you're on?

Fuck, why does debt even exist anyway. Goddamn backasswards fun ruining mechanics.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #45 on: September 05, 2005, 04:17:25 AM

I doubt that the new debt rules recognize that you're in a "mission" per se. It probably just recognizes whether you're in an instance or not.

I'm not really interested in testing it out though...
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #46 on: September 05, 2005, 04:43:44 AM

I'm not really interested in testing it out though...
Yeah no kidding. I died again while I was still in debt earlier tonight and then I had two "dark purple" experience bubbles on my little ring thing and I felt like I was going backwards EQ-style.

And what's up with only being allowed 3 active Missions? That's just wrong.
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: September 05, 2005, 06:27:12 AM

In CoH, when I see a lvl 30+ mind controller, I have respect for the dedication it takes.

I have thought/felt the same thing in this and other games... and then I remembered it's an MMO game, and getting a mind controller to lvl 30 isn't tough because it take more skill to play a mind controller, it's tough because the mind controller is a tedious play.

And then it occurs to me that the masochists who do level a tedious character to higher levels are only doing it to themselves - if no one played the sucky characters, the devs would figure it out a lot sooner.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: September 05, 2005, 06:38:58 AM

For some reason, I never thought that de "debt" was that bad. Of course I could have lived without it, I do not like to be punished for playing this game.

But working of "debt" was never a game breaker for me. The time it took to level, well, that is a different story  Sad Panda

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #49 on: September 05, 2005, 06:45:34 AM

In CoH, when I see a lvl 30+ mind controller, I have respect for the dedication it takes.

I have thought/felt the same thing in this and other games... and then I remembered it's an MMO game, and getting a mind controller to lvl 30 isn't tough because it take more skill to play a mind controller, it's tough because the mind controller is a tedious play.

And then it occurs to me that the masochists who do level a tedious character to higher levels are only doing it to themselves - if no one played the sucky characters, the devs would figure it out a lot sooner.

What's funny is that they've improved Mind Controllers (and Controllers in general) to be more interactive, good for solo play, and with a greater ability to deal damage ---- And yet, I've noticed more weeping and gnashing of teeth about controllers now than ever before. The devs finally recognized the tediousness themselves (which, I think, was sparked by Statesman deciding to play a Gravity controller), but these other people are still trying to drag everyone into their little hole.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #50 on: September 05, 2005, 07:33:23 AM

For some reason, I never thought that de "debt" was that bad. Of course I could have lived without it, I do not like to be punished for playing this game.

But working of "debt" was never a game breaker for me. The time it took to level, well, that is a different story  Sad Panda
I did some reading on this when this happened to refresh my memory and the official CoH knowledge base says that each death is approx 1/10 of the experience you need to get to the next level (dunno if that's still accurate though). So far at level 12 I've died twice randomly outdoors and once inside a mission. That means my progress to level 13 has been slowed approx. 25%. Of course at the low levels it doesn't take that long to level but once you get up there, yeesh.

Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: September 05, 2005, 09:31:47 AM

I did some reading on this when this happened to refresh my memory and the official CoH knowledge base says that each death is approx 1/10 of the experience you need to get to the next level (dunno if that's still accurate though). So far at level 12 I've died twice randomly outdoors and once inside a mission. That means my progress to level 13 has been slowed approx. 25%. Of course at the low levels it doesn't take that long to level but once you get up there, yeesh.
If I recall right, while in debt, only 50 % of the earned XP pays of the debt, while the rest advances your XP bar normaly. So your progress would have been slowed by about 12%. Still a pain in the ass at higher levels, though.

What happend to me quite regulary, was that I would die, just after getting "out of debt".Because of the short intervals it never fellt that grindy for me (except for the GrindTM itself). I just fellt like an idiot several times, which might or might not be true ...

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #52 on: September 05, 2005, 06:26:32 PM

If I recall right, while in debt, only 50 % of the earned XP pays of the debt, while the rest advances your XP bar normaly. So your progress would have been slowed by about 12%. Still a pain in the ass at higher levels, though.
Making some numbers up, let's say you just leveled and then died and need 3000 exp for the next level. That means you have 300 in debt (10% of the amount needed for the next level), and let's say each mob you kill gives you 20 experience. Without any debt you need to kill 150 mobs to level. With the 300 debt you need to kill 30 mobs to clear your debt and now you also have 300 experience which means you need to kill 135 more to level or a total of 165 which is 110% of the no debt 150.
Glazius
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: September 05, 2005, 06:36:17 PM

refresh my memory and the official CoH knowledge base says that each death is approx 1/10 of the experience you need to get to the next level (dunno if that's still accurate though).
Man, they need to update that thing.

Debt is 1/20 of the experience you need to get to the next level, at first. The percentage decreases as you start leveling up, most notably beyond 20 or so. At 50 debt is something like 1/50 of the experience to next level.

--GF
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: September 06, 2005, 08:04:17 AM

My level 45 at the time Grav/Kin Controller went on some AV missions in a full group this weekend.  I died once on one of the missions and I was just stunned how fast I got rid of the debt.  By the end of the next fight, I was out of debt.

As far as the gnashing of teeth by Controllers goes, most of them are being drama queens.  The only change I find irritating personally is the obnoxious recharge timers the AoE powers now have.  The rest of the nerfs I barely even notice and containment is a huge buff.

Over and out.
ClydeJr
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: September 06, 2005, 09:00:28 AM

I've never understood why people gripe about debt so much. It's never seemed to be that big of a deal. Last night I took on the psychic Babbage monster in a team of 6 with my 49 invul tanker. The same invul tanker that has absolutely no protection against psychic besides the wedding ring temp power. I died 3 times (once in a single alpha shot) before we decided to bail on that mission because we didn't have the right people on the team. We switched to another mission, completed it, then completed another and I was out of debt. At level 49, I got rid of all debt from 3 consecutive deaths in 2 missions. No big deal at all to me.

As for Babbage, our dark/dark defender logged on and joined the group. We sent Fluffy the dark pet in to take the initial psychic wail/scream/whatever, the dark def put all kinds of nasty stuff on Babbage so he barely touched me, and we took him down in a minute and a half.
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

The best part of SWG was the easy account cancellation process.

Reply #56 on: September 06, 2005, 02:15:38 PM

I've never understood why people gripe about debt so much. It's never seemed to be that big of a deal. Last night I took on the psychic Babbage monster in a team of 6 with my 49 invul tanker. The same invul tanker that has absolutely no protection against psychic besides the wedding ring temp power. I died 3 times (once in a single alpha shot) before we decided to bail on that mission because we didn't have the right people on the team. We switched to another mission, completed it, then completed another and I was out of debt. At level 49, I got rid of all debt from 3 consecutive deaths in 2 missions. No big deal at all to me.

As for Babbage, our dark/dark defender logged on and joined the group. We sent Fluffy the dark pet in to take the initial psychic wail/scream/whatever, the dark def put all kinds of nasty stuff on Babbage so he barely touched me, and we took him down in a minute and a half.

The other method we've used in HoJ is to send in an illusionist's phantom army for the initial blast, or to have a */Dark Armor scrapper tank, since they actually get psy resists.  Most tanks get hit with psy wail, and just fall over.  Given, the player version has a base brawl index of 15 or so...  and the Brawl numbers for AVs are just insane.

Alkiera

Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Things I don't like about CoH  
Jump to: