Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:48:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Life is teh suck 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Life is teh suck  (Read 2960 times)
Daydreamer
Contributor

on: May 02, 2004, 04:22:27 AM

[whine]
Whoever told me fixing my drivers would only take 15 minutes, you were close - only off by 11 hours and change.  I spent 12 hours intermitently working on my driver issue, trying to solve the crashes that have been plaguing my otherwise pleasant stay in CoH.  Managed to break my entire system for about 8 hours of that time period, due to a missing file that neither WinXP, ATI's driver program, or the Omega driver program could put a name to.

Got into CoH and played for a half hour before getting stuck with an uncompletable Kill 10 and 2 unplayably frontloaded instanced missions, acruing a bar worth of debt, and brekaing the bank for 2 DOs I can't use for another level.

In short, life is teh suck.
[/whine]

Hopefully, tomorrow XP gets reinstalled from scratch.  Wish me luck, and a pox on Bill Gates and whomever writes ATI's drivers.

Immaginative Immersion Games  ... These are your role playing games, adventure games, the same escapist pleasure that we get from films and page-turner novels and schizophrenia. - David Wong at PointlessWasteOfTime.com
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #1 on: May 02, 2004, 04:26:06 AM

heh, gimp

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: May 02, 2004, 09:30:00 AM

Hehe. Well that just caught me up short from ordering the Radeon 9800 Pro :) What went wrong?
Daydreamer
Contributor

Reply #3 on: May 02, 2004, 11:38:29 AM

Remember I'm one person with a problem only, most other ATI users here are having no problem.  If you do get a Radeon, go strait for the newest Omega drivers, or the official 4.1s.  It looks like my first upgrade from 3.whatever to 4.whatever 2 months or so ago is what started the whole chain of events.

Immaginative Immersion Games  ... These are your role playing games, adventure games, the same escapist pleasure that we get from films and page-turner novels and schizophrenia. - David Wong at PointlessWasteOfTime.com
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: May 02, 2004, 04:55:58 PM

Yeah, that has practically been ATi's nemesis since day one.  Rock solid ass kicking hardware.....a drivers team that probably designs software for Satan to torture computer geeks with when they die....

My standard operating prociedure for dealing with ATi drivers issues has usually been to format the harddrive and reinstall from scratch about every .5 version update.

Which is actually a good thing, considering that you usually go through a .5 update about every 6 months and windows is such a piece of shit at clearing junk out of your system when you install/uninstall frequently that a clean install every 6 months is usually a good idea anyhow.

Gives me a reason to keep up on building my customized windows install dvds.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #5 on: May 03, 2004, 04:01:36 PM

My computer at work is using an ATI Radeon 9500 with I think 4.3 or 4.4 drivers. I had some issues on it when I first got the beta (was on driver version 3.7 or something), but once I went to 4.3, no problems whatsoever.

Daydreamer
Contributor

Reply #6 on: May 09, 2004, 01:17:46 AM

Update the Second:

I tried doing a full reinstall of Windows, this last friday night.  Naturally Windows fucked up its job, and merely emptied and rewrote a few system files and called it a fresh install.  Stupid Windows.

Right now my computer, the very same one I am typing from, is having its harddrive rewritten to null by Knoppix while I comfortably surf the internet.  Long Live linux!  (strangely it even recognizes and autoconfiged my optical wireless MICROSOFT brand mouse to work properly without any work on my part)

Well wish me luck on my reinstall.  And a pox on Bill Gates.  Hell I'll toss in a verneral disease free of charge.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #7 on: May 10, 2004, 11:56:20 AM

If you don't type "format c:" or select "Format C:" during your install, it is not a reinstall. That's just Microsoft trying to send you to their tech support line.

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: May 10, 2004, 01:08:52 PM

I'd be more safe and "fdisk /mbr" then "fdisk" the drive too.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #9 on: May 10, 2004, 04:04:43 PM

How have I missed fdisk /mbr switch all these years? Man, I could've used that knowledge a decade ago, lol. But fdisk and format are two commands I teach all my 'customers' (in quotes because I don't consider building computers for friends and family a 'business').
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Life is teh suck  
Jump to: