Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 01:37:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Summer's here! (Thus my sudden CoH absense earlier today) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Summer's here! (Thus my sudden CoH absense earlier today)  (Read 2777 times)
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

The Anne Coulter of MMO punditry

on: May 01, 2004, 07:10:32 PM

I know that summer's here because my system started overheating, dumping me out of City of Heroes with a blue screen at about the 76C point.

I'm working on getting some cooling solutions together, but looks like I had to yank the second sound card I was using to get a noiseless mic input because it's obstructing airflow too badly.   (My AC97 on board mic channel has some extremely nasty noise for some reason).    This means I'll be unable to chat on teamspeak, but hey, I'm a fast typist.

This may not be enough on hot days.   I'll probably have to resort to the poor man's solution: leaving the CPU case open.

Alkiera
Terracotta Army

The best part of SWG was the easy account cancellation process.

Reply #1 on: May 01, 2004, 07:34:42 PM

I have a similar problem, and solved with by using a rotary tool to cut a hole in the side of my case, and installed an 120mm fan.  Now, it runs cool, but sounds like a jet engine.  Ah, well.

--
Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #2 on: May 01, 2004, 10:47:01 PM

Let me guess Geld, you live in SoCal?

Its been hot as fuck here. In fact I got really sunburnt at the pool today.
Alrindel
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: May 02, 2004, 02:20:30 AM

Last summer France had one of the hottest summers in history - you may have seen something about it on the news when thousands of our venerable senior citizens started dropping like flies.  Even with the case open, for about a month there the only way I could insure any sort of stability on my home PC was to put refreezable ice packs on top of the case, just above the power supply, swapping them out every hour or so.
Daeven
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: May 02, 2004, 06:37:33 AM

Huh. It snowed here two days ago.

Today it is supposed to be 80.

Denver is sooooo fucked up. I love it.

"There is a technical term for someone who confuses the opinions of a character in a book with those of the author. That term is idiot." -SMStirling

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

The Anne Coulter of MMO punditry

Reply #5 on: May 02, 2004, 11:33:38 AM

Actually I'm in southern Washington, USA.  Still pleanty hot yesterday though.  Probably have another scorcher today, and I'll get a chance to see if the changes to my system are enough to weather it.

Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: May 03, 2004, 08:05:16 AM

It was hot in Orlando over the weekend as well (largely due to the humidity).  Just that time all over the place I guess.
Shavnir
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: May 03, 2004, 08:13:06 AM

Yesterday it was a nice 60-70 degrees outside.  Today its 40.  Indiana is almost as fucked up as Denver it seems
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #8 on: May 03, 2004, 09:43:06 AM

It's 7C here. It was -4 this morning. I don't think I should of walked to work with no jacket.
Daydreamer
Contributor

Reply #9 on: May 03, 2004, 10:29:22 AM

Its a miserable hot and muggy 80-something degrees here in sunny SoCal.

I think penny-arcade said it best.

Immaginative Immersion Games  ... These are your role playing games, adventure games, the same escapist pleasure that we get from films and page-turner novels and schizophrenia. - David Wong at PointlessWasteOfTime.com
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Summer's here! (Thus my sudden CoH absense earlier today)  
Jump to: