Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:00:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Archived: We distort. We decide.  |  Topic: Review: Mount & Blade (PC) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Review: Mount & Blade (PC)  (Read 19671 times)
schild
Administrator

on: July 28, 2005, 08:28:46 PM

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #1 on: July 28, 2005, 10:55:35 PM

I for one personally did not get above the free version's level cap.

The combat was cool, ut it was taking too long to accumulate enough money to construct a warband.

Oh well, I hope they keep trying, because they could be a lot of promise in this one.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #2 on: July 29, 2005, 08:18:18 AM

Nice review!  It does look fun and I will get around to fiddling with it.  I'm just trying to remember where I last saw my motivation to start a new game. 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3 on: July 29, 2005, 08:21:38 AM

I wasted mine on Darkseed.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
WayAbvPar

Reply #4 on: July 29, 2005, 09:21:03 AM

I for one personally did not get above the free version's level cap.

The combat was cool, ut it was taking too long to accumulate enough money to construct a warband.

Oh well, I hope they keep trying, because they could be a lot of promise in this one.

It gets really fun when you get some cash/experience. When you can roll out a band of 16 knights, 8 crossbowmen, and a hero or 2, you can generate some real mayhem. My favorite fights are when I run into a band of dark knights- they are tougher than hell, so it is actually a decent challenge even with a high level army.

I am really looking forward to seeing what they do next. If Tale Worlds runs out of time/money/inspiration, I would love to see them sell the combat and skill systems to a bigger house for further development. Flesh out the world, add in a story, some long term goals, and (most importantly) some multiplayer action, and this thing would sell like hotcakes. I can only imagine how fun it would be to cut a buddy's horse out from underneath him, then circle around and hit him in the face with a couched lance.

Apologies for the lateness of the review- I have procrastination issues. Which is why I wrote most of it at work  :mrgreen:

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Evangolis
Contributor

Reply #5 on: July 29, 2005, 10:30:18 AM

I bought the level 6+ key for $12, which means I liked it enough to pay for beta, so I'll enter my bitches here to offset that.  First, I agree that the 3-5 levels drag, even if you cheat and save before each tourney fight in case you lose your bet.  Although if you take the 'merchant' character creation option, you have cash lots faster, but you suck as a fighter.  Also, the Tourney action could get a bit slow, like when I was chasing a horse archer with a dismounted lancer.  (Fortunately, the game resurrected a couple of horses to help that mess out).

The other problem is growing with the beta versions, and it's one I found in Freelancer and Sea Dogs in the past.  In a lot of ways, those menus are better than the towns, since you don't waste as much time navigating.  Even so, there is no reason I should have to turn or move to hail a shopkeeper.  It gets silly, doing the same 90 degree turn and eight steps in every tavern and shop.  Walking simulators are not fun minigames, no need to include one here, IMO.

Figuring out the horse control was a mite frustrating, as well.

"It was a difficult party" - an unexpected word combination from ex-Merry Prankster and author Robert Stone.
Pococurante
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: July 29, 2005, 11:09:37 AM

I took it up to the mid-50s.  The combat is just that fun but yes mastering it was frustratingly rewarding.  If Tale builds in some backstory/MP this could easily be a very replayable game.  I lean more towards sword/board and archery, and have focused my skills on group features.

The next step of game design to me is add the ability to conquer an enemy town and become a baron commanding multiple forces and conducting trade/diplomacy - basically elevate to a god game.  Well beyond Tale's plans of course but the combat is what sets this game apart from the usual historic era game.
WayAbvPar

Reply #7 on: June 08, 2006, 11:37:30 AM

NECRO-POST!

I just bought a new key (HDD crashed since last time I played and I couldn't find the first one). They are up to $18 now. The newest version is lots of fun; they added blood at some point since I played last. Having my blade covered in blood as I look for my next victim has a certain charm to it =) They have also fleshed out the towns into 3-D (at least the few I have visited so far). I like the progress- just wish it was faster.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Heh.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Mr_PeaCH
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: June 08, 2006, 12:12:48 PM

I have been playing this on and off since you brought it to my attention the first time around... wow, almost a year now; how time flies.

Yes, there have been many improvements and the 'native mode' game is more fleshed out.  There is a keep or two that you can storm with your war party now for instance.

But where I've found the most replayability has been with the Mod community and in particular with the LOTR "Last Days" mod.  It's a must-have if only for the upgrade they did on the tournament mode in good ol' Zendar (starting town).

And I say that I've been playing it on and off, but my son, age 6, is positively addicted to it.  He has leveled numerous characters up into the teens and twenties and quite frankly is better at combat than me, no doubt about it.  Little guy can't even really read but he puzzles out most words and if he has to ask me what something is or says or does he never forgets.  Perhaps most impressive is he is very deliberate in using his stat and skill points... Kindergarten MinMaxers 4TW!

COME ON YOU SPURS!
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #9 on: June 09, 2006, 06:28:08 AM

I'm holding off on this until it's "done", but I'm really anticipating playing it.

Another long-term project I'm patiently waiting for is the KotOR2 community fix. I was just checking progress yesterday ("when it's done", my favorite deadline, I hate rushes) and the next build will contain all the content they are restoring, more or less. From then on it should be bug fixes, so it sounds like they are jamming.
WayAbvPar

Reply #10 on: December 06, 2006, 04:17:49 PM

Version .804 has been released. Looking forward to seeing what is new!

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Archived: We distort. We decide.  |  Topic: Review: Mount & Blade (PC)  
Jump to: