Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:53:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Daily Server Maintence 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Daily Server Maintence  (Read 9709 times)
cevik
I'm Special

I've always wondered about the All Black People Eat Watermelons

on: April 30, 2004, 01:36:29 PM

This announcement has been posted on the CoH page, they are scheduling 2 hours of maintence daily during the morning time.. I suspect this will be the first thing from Cryptic to cause much gnashing of of teeth around here:

Starting tomorrow, Saturday, May 1, CoH will be undergoing server maintenance daily from 8am to 10am CDT. Please note: while we are reserving this daily two-hour period for maintenance updates, they will not necessarily require the entire two hours and additional updates may be scheduled outside this time-period as needed. We may also perform maintenance on additional CoH-related servers, such as the web servers, message boards, or login servers.

http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=308317&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

The above space is available for purchase.  Send a Private Message for a complete price list and payment information.  Thank you for your business.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: April 30, 2004, 01:44:41 PM

Daily and on weekends?!. Wow, yea, that'll cause a stir. I guarantee that'll be the exact two hour period someone can play, maybe my Eastern European friends or something.

Ah well. If it makes the game continually playable, then it's filed away under 'Greater Good'.
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: April 30, 2004, 01:47:33 PM

I don't understand why they need that?  The game is very playable.  I could see a daily reset if there is a memory leak or something, but nothing that would cause more than a few minutes.
cevik
I'm Special

Reply #3 on: April 30, 2004, 01:52:54 PM

Quote from: Alluvian
I don't understand why they need that?  The game is very playable.  I could see a daily reset if there is a memory leak or something, but nothing that would cause more than a few minutes.

From the post it kinda sounds like they are alloting this time for potential hot fixes, they may or may not have one everyday, but each day that they do it can take up to two hours to install.. I'm hoping that that NCsoft redname who posted in a different thread around here might comment.  One thing that I would like to know is how long will this go on?  For the next few weeks, or from now on?

The above space is available for purchase.  Send a Private Message for a complete price list and payment information.  Thank you for your business.
tittergrrl

Email
Reply #4 on: April 30, 2004, 02:58:05 PM

Gaffer's just responded to this on the official boards

We're going to be changing the server maintenance window starting tomorrow (Saturday, May 1) to be 8-10AM CST daily. This is the lowest point in our usage graph right now.

Even though it's a two hour window, it should be pretty rare to have anything happen at this time other than flicking the servers off and on again (which we do mostly to make quick diagnostics, and make sure there aren't any memory leaks or such (none are known at this time) which might slow things down over time. This usually takes 15 minutes or less.

Sometimes, we may do more extensive maintenance and take up more of the window - but frankly, this will be pretty rare. Patching is generally a pretty quick process for us (well, there's a lot of work to it, but it doesn't necessarily require a lot of downtime) - but the times we'll use more of the window than others are if we put up a patch and it has an issue and we need to revert. This should be a rarity, especially once we have our public test server up and running. However, sometimes I'm sure that the full window will be needed.

(and hi, long time lurker, first time poster)
cevik
I'm Special

Reply #5 on: April 30, 2004, 03:01:36 PM

Good, that is kinda what I was hoping for..

Bitter Beard

Email
Reply #6 on: May 01, 2004, 04:16:57 AM

Just registered so I could come here and say 'shit'

Hopefully these won't last after a month or two.
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: May 01, 2004, 06:22:08 AM

Quote from: cevik
Quote from: Alluvian

From the post it kinda sounds like they are alloting this time for potential hot fixes, they may or may not have one everyday, but each day that they do it can take up to two hours to install.. I'm hoping that that NCsoft redname who posted in a different thread around here might comment.  One thing that I would like to know is how long will this go on?  For the next few weeks, or from now on?

Well, I believe Eve still does this same thing everyday on their server, so, it could be an indefinite thing. Of course, I'm not pleased about it as it does affect some gamers (myself not included thanks to time zone), but I have to agree with Darniaq that if it prevents long patch days and other inane crap like that, then file it under greater good, but this is still a "wait and see" issue.

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #8 on: May 01, 2004, 11:48:13 AM

meh.  It only effects me if I'm trying to game in the 2 hours before work or class, and I generally don't play right when I get up.

Can someone tell me WHY this is such a big deal?

I mean, it's two hours.  Out of 24.  And they might not USE it all.  So, at worst, you're losing 60 hours of playtime a month.  And it's 60 hours at EIGHT IN THE MORNING.  

Is there some assumption that servers need to be up 24/7?  I mean, is taking them down during the time of lightest load that big of a sin?

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Alrindel
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: May 01, 2004, 12:43:33 PM

One man's eight in the morning is another man's four in the afternoon: it was always very frustrating to have SWG go down every Saturday and Sunday when I was in the middle of playing it.
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #10 on: May 01, 2004, 03:26:49 PM

Quote from: Alrindel
One man's eight in the morning is another man's four in the afternoon: it was always very frustrating to have SWG go down every Saturday and Sunday when I was in the middle of playing it.

Bingo. Once again server maintenance in the middle of the only regular time I can play means I probably won't be playing past the first month. I'm really starting to wish they'd announce shit like this before it goes to store shelves so I know whether to bother buying it or not.

Oh well, I guess I'll see how the first month goes.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: May 01, 2004, 07:24:09 PM

Quote from: CmdrSlack

Time zones.
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

The best part of SWG was the easy account cancellation process.

Reply #12 on: May 01, 2004, 07:41:03 PM

Quote from: Darniaq

Time zones.

I'm in EST, so that's 9-11am for me.  I work from 2-10:30pm, and generally get up between 9:30 and 10:00am.  If it's just a quick reboot at 9, it's not a big deal to me, but that morning period comprises a decent portion of my potential playtime.

Not everyone works 8-5 CST.

--
Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #13 on: May 03, 2004, 03:57:55 PM

meh.  It only effects me if I'm trying to game in the 2 hours before work or class, and I generally don't play right when I get up.

Because hell hath no fury like the whiney bitches making up the playerbase of all MMOG's.

Meh, I don't even fucking see 8 AM unless I'm at fucking work. If you see my ass on at 8 AM, I better be drunk or I'm liable to be one pissed-off motherfucker.

kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: May 04, 2004, 07:29:43 AM

Meh somewhat like the swg server reboots honestly not totally unexpected during the intial month. Basically they are just saying if it is down during that time that its their maintance time. It is possible even likely there will be many times it will not be down for those two hours or even at all.

Kaid
Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: May 04, 2004, 12:25:06 PM

Server shutdown at 3 PM on a Tuesday...hmmm.  

Apparently some people were getting stuck in King's Row.

...any religion that rejects coffee worships a false god.
-Numtini
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Daily Server Maintence  
Jump to: