Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:18:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: CoV interview - incl. Villian ATs 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: CoV interview - incl. Villian ATs  (Read 17356 times)
Abel
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: August 10, 2005, 08:30:17 PM

Lol. Seriously, man. Stop joking around.

Glazius has more of a point then you frankly.

Why should you be able to hit 50 so quickly ? To experience the non-existing endgame ? To get bored of the game by rolling up alts instead of maxing out a single hero ?
Why should you be able to fully equip yourselves with DO's at a low lvl ? Or why not ? This is simply a design decision not to fully trivialise money and gear (allthough they're actually already close to that point).

CoH's main problem is NOT that character progress is slow (actually compared to other MMO's it's only certain builds/AT's that are slow), but that there isn't all that much to do past beating up baddies. A grind manifests itself not by slow character progress in itself, but by repeating the same actions over and over again in order to progress.

As a conclusion, I don't think a faster leveling curve would make the game more interesting. Sure, we would have more alts and of higher level, but I suspect it would only lengthen the players interest on a whole by a little. By the third time you do Hollows the novelty is totally gone, wether or not you do it with a different powerset.
schild
Administrator

Reply #71 on: August 11, 2005, 12:37:19 AM

Ok, how about this, it's not that 50 is too far away. It's that it's too boring.

There simply aren't enough differing skills to make each level fun and interesting. Level 13 was feeling pretty bad in everquest but we picked up a new skill at level 13.6. I'd never seen anything like that, just over halfway through the level - *pop* a brand new skill. City of Heroes Needs a skill at every level. Either that or it should only be a 25 level game. Quite simply, City of Heroes is for the ultra catass. The curve is terrible. Just terrible. It looks something like this:

|
|
|
|         ______
|    ----'     The\ Fun Threshold
|   /                 |______________
|_/_________________________

When it should look something like this:

|      ________________________
|     /
|    /
|   /        The Fun Threshold
|  /
| /
|/___________________________

Just saying. It's a superhero game.

I'm not roleplaying a tax attorney.

Edit: I think I might graph a fun threshold for every MMOG I've spent time in. It's a good way to compare games in a vacuum since they won't be compared directly to eachother. Me likey.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2005, 12:45:20 AM by schild »
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #72 on: August 11, 2005, 03:30:31 AM

I just spent 5 hours doing the Positron task force.

I did it at lvl 16, so no xp (which I wasn't aware of at first). Fucking raw deal, that is. That would have been 2 or 3 lvls right there. I don't even get a souviner, or some kind of gimmick item I can sport around with. I get a fucking badge that says "Positron's Ally".

Two words of text.

Worst decision I've ever made in an online game.

EDIT: Either that, or my mind has been corrupted by single player games.

What was that taskforce supposed to be really? I don't understand.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2005, 03:52:10 AM by Stray »
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: August 11, 2005, 04:57:23 AM

That was the first and worst taskforce ever implemented.

Later taskforces are shorter and more fun.

The grind is far from the worst grind ever in a MMOG - but past 30 it does reduce the fun significantly.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Glazius
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: August 11, 2005, 05:38:01 AM

Yeah, with the autoexemp making 15 the highest level to get XP from Positron, it's one of the hardest and least rewarding TFs in the game. But you can do it with three people if you want a change of pace from your normal missions, I suppose...

Positron and its big brother Dr. Quaterfield are sadly wastes of time, not that much different from random missions (though the latter at least has some unique-ish lab maps) but most of the others are nice stories leading up to a climactic showdown with an arch-villain.

If you want to follow along with the story you can click the "i" by the mission description in the nav-bar to get some of it. Sadly, the leader is the only one who gets most of the really important stuff.

--GF
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #75 on: August 11, 2005, 07:01:25 AM

Personally, I've always felt they should have marketed it as a game with a finish.  Play through to 50, get a neat cinematic or something w/ your character in it.  Then you're alowed to keep playing him, or you start a new character.  That simple.  Break the mould so to say.

And that way, they could lessen that fucking curve, because really, I would still be playing 9 of my 12 characters if I could've gotten past L12 without aging in my office chair.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #76 on: August 11, 2005, 08:24:17 AM

Yeah, with the autoexemp making 15 the highest level to get XP from Positron, it's one of the hardest and least rewarding TFs in the game. But you can do it with three people if you want a change of pace from your normal missions, I suppose...

Anyways...I went to sleep after I wrote that -- and just woke up now.

I swear, that shit gave me a few nightmares. I was whacking bad guys (mostly white, yellow, and orange...some blue and red) for 5 hours straight, and not getting one bit of xp from it. In a 4 person group. I thought that maybe I'd get a payoff at the end or something. And because I was nice guy, I wasn't about to quit on that group. They would have been toast without my help.

Now I'm "Positron's Ally"  cry

*Just had to rant again, sorry*
« Last Edit: August 11, 2005, 10:40:01 AM by Stray »
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #77 on: August 11, 2005, 10:01:37 AM

You could have done it back in the beginning when it was borked and gotten all of jack and shit for it because you couldn't complete the goddamn thing due to a bug.

The Clockwork King one? That was pretty decent fun.

Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #78 on: August 11, 2005, 12:13:16 PM

I've completed every TF except for the new ones (Striga) and Positron's.  I have never finished Positron's.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #79 on: August 16, 2005, 02:16:15 PM

Positron was a long haul, but doing it at the right level I remember quite a lot of DO drops which was cool since we could just start using them but couldn't afford them. Then whoever killed the AV got a SO too. The next one was better, though.

I have never played WoW.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: CoV interview - incl. Villian ATs  
Jump to: