Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 06:39:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: CoV interview - incl. Villian ATs 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: CoV interview - incl. Villian ATs  (Read 17321 times)
ClydeJr
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: July 28, 2005, 03:34:24 PM

As has been said one million times here, the post-20 exp curve should have been halved.

Unfortunately, its solo exp that's going to be slow. If you get in a good group that works well together, you can make a ton of experience. The problem is getting that good group. If you have a good active supoergroup, you're set. Otherwise, you're stuck with pickup groups from hell.

I'm going to make a sonic defender called "Turned to 11" or something like that...
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #36 on: July 28, 2005, 03:47:08 PM

Sonic is pretty tempting.

But I know how I'm going to end up, so it's best to just stay away.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #37 on: July 28, 2005, 04:16:21 PM

You won't be back.  Don't lie to me.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #38 on: July 28, 2005, 04:43:22 PM

Info about the Coralax and Captain Mako.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/637/637227p1.html

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #39 on: July 28, 2005, 05:20:48 PM

You won't be back.  Don't lie to me.

If anything, it won't be on my controller. It's the only thing (thus far) that I really wanted to play ---- But it's absolutely hellish to level one up.
Glazius
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: July 29, 2005, 05:51:26 AM

It was almost anything coupled with devices due to the accuracy debuff from Smoke Grenade stacking with itself, allowing players to use it over and over (and the ability doesn't cause a group to attack) until the enemies' accuracy hit the floor of 5%.
Over and over? Smoke Grenade was bugged to do a -100% accuracy debuff instead of -10%. You might have needed to stack it twice on +5 bosses or something.

--GF
Llava
Contributor

Reply #41 on: July 29, 2005, 12:58:39 PM

I was under the impression that it was -50% instead of -5%, so twice on minions, 3 times on bosses.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Llava
Contributor

Reply #42 on: July 30, 2005, 03:58:22 PM

I really liked one of the pictures they had of Captain Mako on that IGN Interview, so I slapped together a wallpaper for it really quick.  It's nothing fancy, cause I didn't feel like spending an hour or two making it. WHO THE FUCK ARE YOU TO JUDGE ME?  angry

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/5530/mako44dw.jpg

schild
Administrator

Reply #43 on: July 30, 2005, 05:08:28 PM

I think you should make that your sig at some obnoxious webboard that's not this one. And then post a lot. Go somewhere that's full of really nice people. Like the MxO boards.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #44 on: July 30, 2005, 05:19:00 PM

Like the MxO boards.

Last I checked, they only had one troll. One troll. What the hell is up with that?

[edit] I think Shadowbane was the worst, as far as sigs go. Maybe people still post there too?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2005, 05:22:46 PM by Stray »
schild
Administrator

Reply #45 on: July 30, 2005, 05:26:31 PM

Last I read the Shadowbane boards they only had one real poster. Funny how that works.

Goddamnit Stray. You made my joke not funny with a stealth edit. CARBEQUE4U.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: August 08, 2005, 11:11:27 AM

I've tried to play COH a few times in the past week - I can't bring myself to play for more then like an hour - knowing COV is coming out. I keep thinking I'm wasting my time, as I will likely delete to open a character name.

The villian character creator looks even better then the hero one too.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #47 on: August 08, 2005, 11:22:12 AM

I've tried to play COH a few times in the past week - I can't bring myself to play for more then like an hour - knowing COV is coming out. I keep thinking I'm wasting my time, as I will likely delete to open a character name.

I've been playing the past two days. What was the woes of EQ's shitty hardware issues became a few catassing sessions in CoH. I haven't played like that since it came out. Besides doing a fair share of soloing, I SK'ed into some higher lvl groups and jumped 4 lvls. Got my travel power, got the killing blow on Dr. Vahz. Now I'm doing a sight seeing tour of all the "El Super Mexicano" billboards of Paragon City....And for some reason, that's fun (for now).

Playing a scrapper (with Super Jump) is less of a grind and more enjoyable than my old controller for sure.

Sorry to derail.....When CoV comes out, I'll probably still be playing this character.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #48 on: August 08, 2005, 12:03:05 PM

Is there a demo somewhere?  I'm hot for some character creation ass.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: August 08, 2005, 12:34:34 PM

Saw some screenies and descriptions on IGN I think. Metalic surfaces shine, non-human faces, evil stuff!

Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: August 08, 2005, 12:36:48 PM

Playing a scrapper (with Super Jump) is less of a grind and more enjoyable than my old controller for sure.

One of my favorite things to do when playing CoH was to just jump around with my Tank.  For some reason, that seemed more "super heroish" than flying.  Perhaps it was the pure speed at which you would go through the air.

I remember one time (at band camp) when my friend saw me coming to meet him at an instance.  He remarked at how cool it looked seeing me coming at him from across a bay, landing on ships, docks, land, etc.

And, once again my daughter asked me if we could play that game where you make super heros.  She couldn't quite understand the whole "pay to play" part of it though.  She was quite disappointed.  undecided

Please release CoV soon.  For the children.
Llava
Contributor

Reply #51 on: August 08, 2005, 01:12:18 PM

And, once again my daughter asked me if we could play that game where you make super heros.

Breed more females into gaming, please.  You might save the future of the industry.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #52 on: August 08, 2005, 04:41:05 PM

I can't seem to get my arse out of the test server.  My poor scrapper on Victory is being sorely neglected.  I think I5 will be uploaded to live soon enough, though.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #53 on: August 08, 2005, 05:15:27 PM

And, once again my daughter asked me if we could play that game where you make super heros.

Breed more females into gaming, please.  You might save the future of the industry.

Nothing to add but...    roflcakes!

Oh and I will finally play this game dubbed "the best pve grind evar!" by so many when CoV comes out.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #54 on: August 08, 2005, 05:25:04 PM

I still don't even know what CoV really is, let alone how good it will be.

EDIT: Also, the grind really isn't fun. It's very unfun. It's just that some of the powers and/or movements make it more worthwhile.. It's still a Diku clone at it's core though.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2005, 05:29:32 PM by Stray »
schild
Administrator

Reply #55 on: August 08, 2005, 05:28:46 PM

I have a feeling that when I have kids they'll have no problems finding gamers of the oppisite sex. There's a good generation the next generation will be the reverse of ours much like that alternate universe in Sliders where all the geeks are the celebrities and ESPN only airs brain games. Well, sort of. Maybe it'll take two generations. Or three. Possibly 4.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #56 on: August 08, 2005, 07:11:44 PM

You will never have children.  You'd have to marry a woman for that and, as far as I know, two twats can't reproduce.

HA!  I'm so fucking funny!  Of course, I didn't mean that, I just couldn't resist. 

I've had a drink or seven.

dEOS
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: August 09, 2005, 05:19:05 AM

I5 (currently on the test server) is bringing some much needed changes to the XP curve.

* No experience debt until level 10.
* Half experience debt in missions.
* Experience awards for defeating enemies level 25+ increased.

CoH - Freedom
WoW - EU Servers - Sargeras [French-PvP]
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #58 on: August 09, 2005, 07:15:21 AM

I5 (currently on the test server) is bringing some much needed changes to the XP curve.

And the Berlin Wall is gone too.

I have never played WoW.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: August 09, 2005, 08:18:45 AM

*Current required experience to level beyond level 15 has been halved.
schild
Administrator

Reply #60 on: August 09, 2005, 09:39:22 AM

I wish.
Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: August 09, 2005, 10:48:15 AM

*Current required experience to level beyond level 15 has been halved.

Damn it.  Don't do that.  cry
Glazius
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: August 10, 2005, 06:45:10 AM

I wish.
I don't.

I actually team up on a regular basis, and if they did that the only time I'd ever get to see the inside of a storyarc is 10 levels later or if I was lucky enough to get into a team doing one.

(Seriously. Supergroup full of concept characters. I play one, sometimes two, nights a week, for about four hours a night. After two months I'm level 26.)

--GF
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: August 10, 2005, 06:48:13 AM

I wish.
I don't.

I actually team up on a regular basis, and if they did that the only time I'd ever get to see the inside of a storyarc is 10 levels later or if I was lucky enough to get into a team doing one.

(Seriously. Supergroup full of concept characters. I play one, sometimes two, nights a week, for about four hours a night. After two months I'm level 26.)

--GF

The point being you'd be L40 instead of 26 and would've already seen that stuff at a proper level, instead of getting sidekicked up.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #64 on: August 10, 2005, 08:50:32 AM

After two months I'm level 26.

Ridiculous.

I was talking to a Kheld the other day and they said it took them 6 months to get to 50 on their previous character, at about the same pace as you.

As for missions: What pisses me off the most is that I feel like I'm accomplishing something when I play....But it's all a lie. I'll singlehandlely kill 20 white, yellow, and orange henchmen in a mission, for example; kill their boss; save a hostage; recover a legendary artifact -- and feel relieved that I even made it out alive. Mission accomplished.

Then I look at the xp bar: Barely a block filled. I don't even get a measley reward (Unless you consider getting a new "contact" a reward....Because that's usually what happens.)

Wtf?

It's not so much general bitching about the grind as it is the feeling that the players' efforts are unappreciated. Even for missions. It's not even like the missions themselves are the "reward" either. There really isn't much story in CoH....And even when there is, it's all about the villians. Not the heroes.

Here's another reason why it's a grind: The fact that I can only afford 4 low lvl DO's at a time when I've already been able to fit them for 3 lvls now. That tells me that the game wants me to grind and camp. That tells me that the missions are, in fact, bullshit. At every step of the way, I'm out of my means. They've got the carrot dangling in front of me, despite the fact that I keep up with contacts.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2005, 08:52:27 AM by Stray »
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #65 on: August 10, 2005, 09:11:41 AM

Actually, they take all the pressure out of leveling because there is nothing to do once you reach the level cap.  (unless you consider making a new character something to do)

Glazius
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: August 10, 2005, 04:32:43 PM

I wish.
I don't.

--GF

The point being you'd be L40 instead of 26 and would've already seen that stuff at a proper level, instead of getting sidekicked up.
..who said anything about being sidekicked up? I'm the highest level in the SG.

--GF
Glazius
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: August 10, 2005, 04:36:50 PM

After two months I'm level 26.

Ridiculous.

I was talking to a Kheld the other day and they said it took them 6 months to get to 50 on their previous character, at about the same pace as you.
And given XP goes up roughly exponentially with level, 26 is about one-third of the way there.

Here's another reason why it's a grind: The fact that I can only afford 4 low lvl DO's at a time when I've already been able to fit them for 3 lvls now. That tells me that the game wants me to grind and camp. That tells me that the missions are, in fact, bullshit. At every step of the way, I'm out of my means. They've got the carrot dangling in front of me, despite the fact that I keep up with contacts.
No, that tells you that you're really not supposed to be using DOs in all your slots yet. They're available at 15 and within your means at 20, like SOs are available at 25 but only really within your means at 30.

--GF
schild
Administrator

Reply #68 on: August 10, 2005, 04:43:16 PM

Seriously, the game is just too slow. Superheroes. We fly. We jump high. We run really fast. Just by nature of the beast, it should have been the shortest curve so people could experience more of all the powersets - particularly without an endgame to speak of.

Shame on cryptic for making the most mindnumbing grind since the optional dungeons for Disgaea.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #69 on: August 10, 2005, 04:54:04 PM

No, that tells you that you're really not supposed to be using DOs in all your slots yet. They're available at 15 and within your means at 20, like SOs are available at 25 but only really within your means at 30.

Lol. Seriously, man. Stop joking around.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: CoV interview - incl. Villian ATs  
Jump to: