Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:04:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: First Day of full release. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: First Day of full release.  (Read 11982 times)
Fargull
Contributor

on: April 29, 2004, 07:38:09 AM

Last Night,

Anyone have any issues?  Everything worked like butter for me.  Did Cryptic just raise the bar on game release?

Damn, color me crazy but so far the only bloody complaint I have (since I have not taken a Task Mission) is that I sometimes have to reset the bloody team mission (not because it is deselected, but because I lose the selection) as the only thing I find currently annoying.

Anyone else have any hate to toss at this shiney?

"I have come to believe that a great teacher is a great artist and that there are as few as there are any other great artists. Teaching might even be the greatest of the arts since the medium is the human mind and spirit." John Steinbeck
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: April 29, 2004, 07:45:52 AM

Quote from: Fargull
Last Night,

Anyone have any issues?  Everything worked like butter for me.  Did Cryptic just raise the bar on game release?

Damn, color me crazy but so far the only bloody complaint I have (since I have not taken a Task Mission) is that I sometimes have to reset the bloody team mission (not because it is deselected, but because I lose the selection) as the only thing I find currently annoying.

Anyone else have any hate to toss at this shiney?

Not really as of yet, save the Task Force mission problem. Really, the only hitch to the launch was the 30-45 minutes of slamming that the login server took on the first day of the pre-release going live. The actual release itself was, as you said, smooth. I think this is due in part to the fact that most of the people who were planning on playing the game were already playing. In my local EB yesterday, they said they had received 40 boxes of the game and didn't think they would sell all of them. I just gave them a knowing smile and said, "I think you might." I'm gonna stop by there today after work to see what happened.

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
Xilren's Twin

Reply #2 on: April 29, 2004, 08:01:39 AM

Well, here's some hate for ya: the boards have been full with bitter complaints over the name reservation system, the 3-day head start not being a full 72 hours (13 hours short), not letting people know they would be able to buy cd keys online before they pre-ordered, and not planning to ship the monthly comic outside North America my god Cyptic is the worst dev studio EVAR!

..or not.  Since those are just whines from typical idiot gamers.

Personally, game plays smooth with no bugs or complaints to speak of so far...which is just weird.

Can't tell you how much my short play session ass in loving being able to complete a mission or two before work and at lunch.  In fact, i've got a date in a mission come high noon :)

It is definately a different feel playing a 7am when population is low; you can actually find single and duo "groups" of soapbox speaking Nazi's in Steel Canyon as opposed to the groups of 5-7 you see at prime night time.

Xilren

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
Mr_PeaCH
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: April 29, 2004, 08:40:34 AM

I am brand new to CoH as of last night; I did not play the OB at all but merely lurked here and then broke down and bought the box at Fry's yesterday after being overwhelmed by the love.  <twitch> I had been playing Lineage2 OB fwiw. </twitch>

Sooo, anyways.  At Fry's first of all (If you don't have em... think CompUSA/Best Buy/Circuit City only hugerer) they are running a sale on both NCsoft products; Lin2 and CoH... $38 thru today.  There were boxes-o-plenty of the Lin2 still on the shelves but the shelf space for CoH was bare.  Luckily for me they had an over-stock section down below and there were still a few boxes to be had down there.  But by all indications, CoH was pwning Lin2 head-to-head.

The install (2 CDs) went very quickly and smoothly... as did registration.  But I ran afoul of the old video drivers tripwire and the game wouldn't actually launch; I saw where this was a 'known issue' on launch day so I didn't bother reporting it.  No biggie, as promised the game started up smartly after I upgraded my Nvidia driver set.

Once really "in" CoH I was dazzled.  Character creation for one.  But then inside the game... looks great and I have a barely passable gaming system (@1 GHz).  Didn't even really lag that much in Atlas Park after completing my n00b mission.  

In short... bravo.

COME ON YOU SPURS!
cevik
I'm Special

I've always wondered about the All Black People Eat Watermelons

Reply #4 on: April 29, 2004, 08:46:54 AM

Quote from: Mr_PeaCH
There were boxes-o-plenty of the Lin2 still on the shelves but the shelf space for CoH was bare.  Luckily for me they had an over-stock section down below and there were still a few boxes to be had down there.  But by all indications, CoH was pwning Lin2 head-to-head.

When I went into EB to pick up my preorder during lunch (approx 11:30) yesterday, there was a line of about 4 people in front of me and another 5 or so wandered in behind me, all of them picking up CoH.

When I told the guy I preordered he looked down and there were two lists in front of him of preorder people to call, he said one was for Lineage and one was for CoH.  He handed me the CoH list and asked me to scratch my name off so they wouldn't call me.  Just glancing at the list, it was about 15-20 names per page, and it was 4 pages long.  I was blown away at how many preorders they had.  

When I mentioned it to the guy, he said that because they had such a large amount of preorders at this store the "main office" shipped them twice as many boxes, but he didn't think they were going to last long.. *shrug*..

The above space is available for purchase.  Send a Private Message for a complete price list and payment information.  Thank you for your business.
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: April 29, 2004, 08:55:22 AM

So, can we call it?  Best MMOG launch ever?

I would say so.

I don't count the North American launches of FFXI and Lineage 2 to be launches.  If anyone has any comparitive information on the japanese or korean launches of those games then we can consider that.

If we limit it to true US launches then I would easily say it was the best.  Closest other launch I had been in would have been DAOC, but it was far from perfect.  Half the creatures in the game beign spraggans with a new name over their head was my major beef at the time.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #6 on: April 29, 2004, 09:08:11 AM

I'd say it is the best launch I've been part of. One hour of server hammering then nothing but normal gameplay.

It is definately a different feel playing a 7am when population is low; you can actually find single and duo "groups" of soapbox speaking Nazi's in Steel Canyon as opposed to the groups of 5-7 you see at prime night time.

This is probably my biggest complaint, but it's a general known issue that playing mmogs during prime time blows, and is probably the reasons I dislike them now that I can only play in prime hours with all the other jackanapes.

The experience flow slowed down a lot when I had to shift gears from hunting small groups of yellow/orange to large groups of blues/whites because I can only find groups of 7 or more around. A LOT more running around wasting time looking for mobs, because I'm mission-bound right now (All my available missions are too tough for my level). Small gripe, but it's there. Should go away once I start grouping more :P
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: April 29, 2004, 09:14:34 AM

The first Asheron's Call launched extremely smoothly, with content in place and only got better as time went on. As for COH. I got a Map Server Disconnect once last night, but it was my first since PreOrder started, so I'm pleasantly surprised. Frankly, after Beta I expected frequent map server disconnects for the next month or so.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
cevik
I'm Special

Reply #8 on: April 29, 2004, 09:20:12 AM

Quote from: Riggswolfe
The first Asheron's Call launched extremely smoothly

Yeah, but that's not a terribly http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20000525/ragaini_pfv.htm">fair comparison:

Our retail launch was a staggered affair. Initially, only two "enthusiast-oriented" retail chains received shipments of Asheron's Call boxes. This allowed our die-hard fans from the beta testing program to get copies, but prevented the deluge that would have occurred had we been in the larger, more mainstream retail stores. While it would have been exciting to see massive sales on day one, I believe that this gradual approach was a smart move.

I hate talking up any game, because it always comes back to http://www.shadowbane.com/us/index.php">bite me, but CoH had no such limitation to their launch..

The above space is available for purchase.  Send a Private Message for a complete price list and payment information.  Thank you for your business.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #9 on: April 29, 2004, 09:30:16 AM

I'd say this is the best launch I've been a part of.  I'm including Dark Age and AC1 in this.  

Although I have run into at least a couple map server and game disconnects, it still beats what I had to deal with in DAoC or AC1 which seem to be the industry gold standard for launches.  DAoC had lot of of broken quests, horrible lag in town, and I got stuck once and it took a CSR 3 hours to unstuck me.  AC1 had some of the most soul crushing lag EVER.  Getting remotely near a town usually meant a 5 minute slide show and a portal storm out of the area.  AC1 town lag at launch was probably the worst lag outside some of the stuff AO produced that I have ever experienced.

Comparitively I've just had a couple of crashes in COH.  I haven't got stuck, died to a bug, or lagged beyond comprehension yet.  All my missions have worked (even when I couldn't find a door in one due to my own lack of observation).  It's been nice, wish I had more time to play.

-Rasix
edlavallee
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: April 29, 2004, 09:53:40 AM

It's early yet, so I will reserve 10% of my judgement, but this has been the most smooth launch that I have witnessed -- bar none. I had a *bit* of lag once last night, I had to hammer the login server on day one of pre-order, but aside from those itty-bitty annoyances, this has been silky smooth. Let's see how it goes over time, but I don't see COH having the same stability issues (can you say server downtime and outages each time EQ patched for the first few years), or glitches that other games have had.

COH has set the bar, and set it high.

However, given that this is better than the crap we have had to deal with in the past, is this where we want the bar set? Is there more we want? If we could set the bar where we want it, where would it be?

Zipper

<edit> spelling

Zipper Zee - space noob
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: April 29, 2004, 09:56:16 AM

The AC1 launch sucked monkey balls for me.  Not so much the launch, but the week after launch when more started playing.  The portal storming was a fucking menace and I could not get anywhere near a town without getting ported out.  Try to buy reagents and practice up new spells when you are new to the game while being randomly and intentionally teleported by the game.
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

The best part of SWG was the easy account cancellation process.

Reply #12 on: April 29, 2004, 10:16:24 AM

However, given that this is better than the crap we have had to deal with in the past, is this where we want the bar set? Is there more we want? If we could set the bar where we want it, where would it be?

Well, imho, it's a good start.  Sure, as consumers we want a holodeck game with a $5 monthly fee and excellent gameplay, like, yesterday already...   But CoH raises the bar for 'what is acceptable at launch' to a level that 'normal' gamers can accept, I think, which is more than you can say for previous MMOGs.

Basically, if other devs reach this bar, we might start to see growth in the genre, as people who are used to PS2/XBox/GC-game reliability won't feel like an idiot for purchasing a game that doesn't work.  IMHO, THAT is what has nearly killed this genre.  Not the 'EverCrack' comments, or the emotionally unstable retarded 22 yr old who killed himself after logging out of the game, or any of that...  It's that the games haven't worked, or worked very poorly.  Consoles have flourished due to software reliability.  You put the disc in, and It Just Works.  If we can get to that point with MMOGs, or even somewhere close, it'll be great for the genre.

--
Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #13 on: April 29, 2004, 10:22:58 AM

I've had a few map disconnects, some soul-crushing lag (on dialup temporarily) but it's by far the smoothest launch.

No sticking in walls, no unkillable mobs, and fun from the start. The complete opposite of AO.

The few times I have lost connection, there haven't been any negative effects.
cevik
I'm Special

Reply #14 on: April 29, 2004, 10:24:57 AM

Quote from: Alkiera
But CoH raises the bar for 'what is acceptable at launch' to a level that 'normal' gamers can accept, I think, which is more than you can say for previous MMOGs.

This has been the first MMOG that I've been able to just take out of the box, sit down, and play like any other game.  I think the bar has been raised, not just because the game is stable and relatively bug free, but also because the learning curve isn't insanely difficult compared to most other single player games out there.

Dialogue

Email
Reply #15 on: April 29, 2004, 10:33:05 AM

This, more than anything else, makes me want to bitchslap my fellow editors into letting me review this. Dang. WT peeps talking about a smooth launch. Wonders never cease. :)
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

The Anne Coulter of MMO punditry

Reply #16 on: April 29, 2004, 10:53:29 AM

DAOC was the first, and only, MMORPG to really have an incredibly smooth launch in my recollection.    

Asheron's Call I don't call "smooth launched" at all.   It was rubberbanding for me for months.   The teleport storms were a PITA as well.   Course', at the time I was playing it on a 56k modem, and it may have more been a matter of bad net code than a launch screw up.

CoH's launch was pretty good, but there was some initial login server failures for a couple hours on the first day of the three-day head start.    Contrary to some folks belief, I count this as day one of the launch since it involves paying customers on official time.    All things considered, it could have been much worse.   There's still a little latency, but it's nothing unmanagable.

Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: April 29, 2004, 11:04:57 AM

Quote from: geldonyetich
CoH's launch was pretty good, but there was some initial login server failures for a couple hours on the first day of the three-day head start.    Contrary to some folks belief, I count this as day one of the launch since it involves paying customers on official time.    All things considered, it could have been much worse.   There's still a little latency, but it's nothing unmanagable.

No, the customers were not paying anything at the point of the pre-order headstart. At the end of those 3 days, unless a player purchased a CD-Key (or boxed game), and subscribed to a payment plan, they could not continue playing. They were the last days of beta.

As to DAoC's launch, they launched with a lot of content missing from the game. Smooth or not, I can't say that that is a better way of launching than CoH did. CoH is feature complete and content complete. At this point, anything else added is just icing.

"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #18 on: April 29, 2004, 11:07:39 AM

I count this as day one of the launch since it involves paying customers on official time.

I don't know if I'd call the pre-order folks "paying customers."

Once they required the retail CD Key to play, I think that was really when the people playing became paying customers.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: April 29, 2004, 11:29:42 AM

Yeah, if you want to call the 25th the 'real' release then you would have to call the 7th the 'real' release.  And buying a preorder does not give a penny to Cryptic or NCSoft.  It is just money toward a possible future sale.  If you cancel, the distributor keeps your money.
Daydreamer
Contributor

Reply #20 on: April 29, 2004, 11:34:43 AM

Quote from: Soukyan

No, the customers were not paying anything at the point of the pre-order headstart. At the end of those 3 days, unless a player purchased a CD-Key (or boxed game), and subscribed to a payment plan, they could not continue playing. They were the last days of beta.

As to DAoC's launch, they launched with a lot of content missing from the game. Smooth or not, I can't say that that is a better way of launching than CoH did. CoH is feature complete and content complete. At this point, anything else added is just icing.

I do think CoH launched batter than DAoC in terms of working quests and lag/login issues, but I have to disagree about the content.  DAoC had all their dungeons in, but most were un-itemized, while CoH is missing almost all content over 40.  And pulling the cap down ten levels so they have content at release for all the available levels is a smart move that I'm glad they made, but won't earn them clemency in my book on this one point.

Immaginative Immersion Games  ... These are your role playing games, adventure games, the same escapist pleasure that we get from films and page-turner novels and schizophrenia. - David Wong at PointlessWasteOfTime.com
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: April 29, 2004, 11:39:09 AM

Quote from: Daydreamer
Quote from: Soukyan

I do think CoH launched batter than DAoC in terms of working quests and lag/login issues, but I have to disagree about the content.  DAoC had all their dungeons in, but most were un-itemized, while CoH is missing almost all content over 40.  And pulling the cap down ten levels so they have content at release for all the available levels is a smart move that I'm glad they made, but won't earn them clemency in my book on this one point.

Really? Well, I can remember hitting unitemized dungeons at about level 22 in DAoC, so how does that make Cryptic's decision to keep the level cap at 40 (it was never "raised" to 50 during beta AFAIK) a failing? At the risk of sounding like a smitten fanboi, 40 levels of complete content looks a hell of a lot better than 50 levels with missing content starting at level 20. But maybe it's just my perception that is skewed. I would rather have a developer say here is all the complete content that we have instead of having them say, we're going to make you catass longer, but there'll be some stuff missing along the way to enhance your boredom. ;)

Rasix

Reply #22 on: April 29, 2004, 11:39:13 AM

Do I need to bring up DAoC's assassin class for each realm? Put in one week before final.  One of the dumbest beta/launch decisions I've ever witnessed in any game.  

Ask anyone about playing in Hibernia at launch.  Ask anyone who leveled over 30 in the first month in Midgard and had to cram together in one crappy dungeon (lets not forget about 1 in 3 30+ quest was broken in some fashion).

DAoC's content smoked pole on release. It maybe passable now, but don't underestimate the joke that it was upon release.

-Rasix
DarkDryad
Terracotta Army

da hizzookup

Reply #23 on: April 29, 2004, 11:42:40 AM

Ya know i was doin some poking and I think I figured it out. Many of the devs on CoH worked most of the time on console games so it only goes to figure it would .. you know.. work out of the box. I have to say I am impressed and think im gonna stay a while.

Fun
Stable
playable out of the box
NO RATS!!!!!

SOE and EA better start some polishing and I mean fast. The reaction to this game shows that a working game is accomplisable and anything that is buggy and incomplete out of the box will now even smell like shit once the box is opened. Thank you for making it smell like a rose Cryptic.

BWL is funny tho.  It's like watching a Special Needs school take a field trip to a minefield.
cevik
I'm Special

Reply #24 on: April 29, 2004, 11:42:46 AM

Quote from: Daydreamer

I had to make myself a map of Tir na Nog where I marked all the places I would fall through the ground and get stuck.

Fargull
Contributor

Reply #25 on: April 29, 2004, 11:44:19 AM

Quote from: cevik

This has been the first MMOG that I've been able to just take out of the box, sit down, and play like any other game.  I think the bar has been raised, not just because the game is stable and relatively bug free, but also because the learning curve isn't insanely difficult compared to most other single player games out there.

I am going to go on a limb and say the enhancment slots and enhancement placement is the complex mini-game of character building.  Of course, the ability to change and restructure this area (aside from choosing the sockets) is a big benefit.

Your right though, it is not difficult.  The game is very easy to learn.  Kind of like Blizzard's ability to make easy to learn RTS games.

"I have come to believe that a great teacher is a great artist and that there are as few as there are any other great artists. Teaching might even be the greatest of the arts since the medium is the human mind and spirit." John Steinbeck
Tisirin
Developers

Cartoon Network

Reply #26 on: April 29, 2004, 11:58:34 AM

The release launch seemed smoother than the pre-release one, and even that one wasn't too bad.  I think the key to the smoothness of the release launch was in the way that the boxes were shipped.  We didn't have 100K+ players with the game already loaded up and ready to go hammering the login servers.

The Name Reservation system could definitely have been done better, and we've learned a lot from that experience.

Overall, I think the Cryptic team deserves major kudos for such a stable game and the Ops folks here at NCsoft also have done a great job.  

Since this is the first time I have been involved with a game release, I'm really happy to have had such a good experience.
Aslan
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: April 29, 2004, 12:14:25 PM

Quote from: Tisirin
Since this is the first time I have been involved with a game release, I'm really happy to have had such a good experience.

Since I have had the displeasure of participating in several releases, I am really, REALLY happy to have had such a good experience.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: April 29, 2004, 12:24:29 PM

My big concern was how the billing stuff would hold up with both lineage 2 and COH going off at the same time but I have not heard or seen any complaints on that at all. Lag in the head start was fine and I played about 12 hours total and never map discoed once nor had any other issue.

That is probably about the best you can hope for a mmrpg launch. The ability to pull it out of the box plug it in and just start playing. A little lag or map disco now and then is also something I would expect but COH has managed to make this even less of an issue than normal.

Ac1 had a good launch but my god I was rubber banding like a mad dog with it and the portal storming was a beast.

Daoc had a very acceptable launch but was a bit content sparse.

The only real known "issue" that is somewhat of a content problem is the task force issues in COH. I am confident that the devs can take care of that and when they do there is plenty of content up to their current level cap.

All in all a very good launch and I wish to god more mmrpg launched as well it would save me grey hairs and busted keyboards.

Kaid
Tisirin
Developers

Cartoon Network

Reply #29 on: April 29, 2004, 01:07:13 PM

Quote from: Aslan

Since I have had the displeasure of participating in several releases, I am really, REALLY happy to have had such a good experience.

I should clarify.  :)   This is the first time I have been involved in a launch from the company's perspective.  I was on the player side of a launch for UO, EQ, AC, AO, AC2 and EVE.
Rasix

Reply #30 on: April 29, 2004, 01:14:26 PM

I was on the player side of a launch for UO, EQ, AC, AO, AC2 and EVE.

My condolences, I still have nightmares about UO and AO's launch.  UO's was just happier because everything had a nice new shiney glow about it.

-Rasix
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: April 29, 2004, 01:20:39 PM

40 levels of complete content looks a hell of a lot better than 50 levels with missing content starting at level 20

I played in Hibernia.  The missing content was in your face from level 1 on.  Oh look, another badger. Noo, it says 'wolf' over it's head.  Oooookay.  Oh, look an elf, noooo, they are 'pixies' and 'orchard nippers'.  Oh look a spraggan, could be a fucking dragon for all I knew.  Spraggans were 70% of every game model I killed for the first fucking 20 levels.  I compiled a list of things I saw with the spraggan model and it was hilarious and huge at the time, but I have wiped that bad time from my mind.
Fargull
Contributor

Reply #32 on: April 29, 2004, 01:38:40 PM

Hmm...

I remember like five or seven hours of waiting to get my billing info setup for DAOC on launch and the fact I could not enter the capital city in Albion because I kept crashing and falling through holes.  The game play was smooth and the shiney looked great, but the polish on the billing, terrain, and items left me feeling very unwelcome.  Still, it was better than EQ...

rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #33 on: April 29, 2004, 03:31:53 PM

And anything would be better than the AO launch. I still remember standing on that damn hill trying to help form LumCorp, disco'ing, and being stuck in a wall everytime I logged in from that point forward.

Other than CoH seeming to flood my modem occasionally, it's going fine.
WayAbvPar

Reply #34 on: April 29, 2004, 03:41:29 PM

Quote from: Alluvian
40 levels of complete content looks a hell of a lot better than 50 levels with missing content starting at level 20

I played in Hibernia.  The missing content was in your face from level 1 on.  Oh look, another badger. Noo, it says 'wolf' over it's head.  Oooookay.  Oh, look an elf, noooo, they are 'pixies' and 'orchard nippers'.  Oh look a spraggan, could be a fucking dragon for all I knew.  Spraggans were 70% of every game model I killed for the first fucking 20 levels.  I compiled a list of things I saw with the spraggan model and it was hilarious and huge at the time, but I have wiped that bad time from my mind.

I can still hear that crappy sound the spraggans made ringing in my ears. God I hate that game.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: First Day of full release.  
Jump to: