Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 08:59:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: IGN interviews some guy named Fish. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: IGN interviews some guy named Fish.  (Read 2162 times)
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

on: July 19, 2005, 09:26:51 AM

City of Villains Interview
Cryptic answers some questions about the signature villains in their upcoming MMO.
by Dan Adams

July 18, 2005 - In a city full of villains, it's hard to stand out. A little bit of flash, a little bit of style, and more than a healthy helping of evil intentions. Only the most evil and powerful are counted among the elite, signature villains of Cryptic Studios' upcoming City of Villains addition to the City of Heroes franchise. As a stand alone game, it'll allow players to take the role of those that prefer to live in the shadows and deal in pain instead of joy.

Today we got the chance to talk to Senior Designer Sean Fish about what exactly a signature villain is, where they'll be in the game, and when players can expect to actually see them.

After you're done with the interview, make sure to check out the file on Ghost Widow, one of the new signature villains from City of Villains.

IGNPC: What's the difference between a normal villain and signature villain?

Sean Fish: Signature villains are characters who play some role in the history of the game. Lord Recluse for example, is the leader of Arachnos which is the faction that currently holds power in the Rogue Isles. Lord Recluse has invited or enticed many villains to the Isles, but only a few have risen to his inner cadre. Ghost Widow, Black Scorpion, Captain Mako and Scirocco have all been tested against other rising villains and each other. They have each shown that they have what it takes to survive within Arachnos.

IGNPC: Will players come across most of these signature villains during the course of gameplay as either a villain character or a hero?

Sean Fish: Players will encounter all the signature villains at some point in City of Villains. The contentious nature of Arachnos means that sometimes they will be allies and other times they will be opponents. Eventually the players will be given the option of choosing one of them as a patron. That is when things will get really interesting.

IGNPC: Obviously, creating these signature villains is a much different process than creating their hero opposites. Do these bad guys in City of Villains have complex back stories that explain their psychotic nature?

Sean Fish: Actually, creating the signature villains wasn't all that different than creating the signature heroes. Lord Recluse was created to be Statesman's dark mirror. His background, powers and motivations are all linked to Paragon City's greatest hero. He provides the same kind of pillar to City of Villains that Statesman provides to City of heroes.

All the signature villains have motivations, desires and goals. For the moment they are united under a common vision under Lord Recluse: To bring down Statesman and Paragon City.

IGNPC: Will these villains have powers that aren't available to normal player characters to make them more unique?

Sean Fish: The signature villains will all have powers that make them unique. Ghost Widow's Soul Storm is an excellent example. She is able to control the souls of those she has slain and force those tormented spirits to attack her enemies.

IGNPC: Are each of the signature villains going to have a lair of their own, or will some of them be teaming up with each other?

Sean Fish: The signature villains are all part of Arachnos. As I said before, however, that doesn't mean they always see eye to eye. When Lord Recluse asks them to work together, they find a way to do so, but otherwise they spend their time pushing their own agendas. Ghost Widow resides in her tower on Mercy Island and Black Scorpion in Nerva Archipelago. Captain Mako has some hidden agenda on Sharkhead Isle and Scirocco has found himself drawn to St. Martial.

IGNPC: Will these signature villains ever make it out into the world at large or will they remain as mostly inactive villains that send minions out to do their bidding without getting their hands dirty?

Sean Fish: They all have many minions who do their bidding. They also have personal henchmen who attend them. Ghost Widow is protected by the brutish and fanatically loyal Wretch. Black Scorpion is slaved over by the deadly assassin known as Silver Mantis. Captain Mako is often accompanied on his killing sprees by the hybrid Corolax called Barracuda. Finally, Scirocco has taken under his wing another fallen disciple of the Temple of the Four Winds, who calls herself Ice Mistral.

IGNPC: What else can we expect to see from these signature villains that will be especially interesting?

Sean Fish: Keep your eye out for appearances by the signature villains in the pages of our new comic from Top Cow, in our first novel The Web of Arachnos, and on the City of Villains website, where Ghost Widow regularly shares insights about the people and places that will appear in the game.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/634/634497p1.html

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1 on: July 19, 2005, 09:33:42 AM

I see IGN is living up to their usual high standard of informative journalism, and not just regurgitating puff pieces from an advertiser that tells absolutely nothing about the gameplay of an upcoming product.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #2 on: July 19, 2005, 09:35:47 AM

Hehe... I haven't read it yet.  I just posted it from a link on the CoH boards. 

Bad me.  (not in a pervy way, though)

tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #3 on: July 19, 2005, 10:20:03 AM

(not in a pervy way, though)
What with all those wholesome avatars you choose, why would we think that?

"Me am play gods"
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #4 on: July 19, 2005, 12:23:02 PM

Wow.

What's the difference between a signature villain and a normal villain?

What are you, retarded?

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: July 19, 2005, 07:31:28 PM

I see IGN is living up to their usual high standard of informative journalism, and not just regurgitating puff pieces from an advertiser that tells absolutely nothing about the gameplay of an upcoming product.

To be fair, I think they must have made up this nonsense all on their own, because it's hard to believe Cryptic felt that the process for designing npc trainers in CoV really warranted quite this much fuss.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #6 on: July 19, 2005, 07:58:13 PM

Yeah, well, I did finally read it and it's not even as important as pocket fluff.  Oh, well.  Sorry.

Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #7 on: July 19, 2005, 11:03:09 PM

Manticore finally gets an interview and they don't ask him a damn thing worth asking. Bah.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: IGN interviews some guy named Fish.  
Jump to: