Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:08:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Archived: We distort. We decide.  |  Topic: MMOG News 4/28/04: A Long History of Failure 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: MMOG News 4/28/04: A Long History of Failure  (Read 8621 times)
cevik
I'm Special

I've always wondered about the All Black People Eat Watermelons

on: April 28, 2004, 07:23:57 AM

The above space is available for purchase.  Send a Private Message for a complete price list and payment information.  Thank you for your business.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1 on: April 28, 2004, 08:06:46 AM

So David Allen has taken his talentless assclown circus act out of the gaming industry. Woot! Maybe next we can hope for Serek Dmart and the Infium Labs guys to follow suit.

Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #2 on: April 28, 2004, 08:26:46 AM

Nice update, especially liked the Dinosaur vomit pic.

City of Villains looks interesting, anyone know anything about it?

Edit to add www.cov.com seems to give you the chance to play an evil lawyer.
cevik
I'm Special

Reply #3 on: April 28, 2004, 08:34:05 AM

Quote from: Arthur_Parker
Nice update, especially liked the Dinosaur vomit pic.

Interesting story, in order to get a Dinosaur to pose for that picture, they simply had him play Horizons for about 15 minutes..

The above space is available for purchase.  Send a Private Message for a complete price list and payment information.  Thank you for your business.
Alrindel
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: April 28, 2004, 09:05:05 AM

CoV will be another complete city for Villians [sic] to adventure in with crossover areas for fighting Heroes.

This is what I've been predicting since I got a look at the CoH beta: the DAOC model.  I just cannot see Cryptic ever making CoV PVP+, no matter how well it fits the lore - "ooh, look at me, I'm roleplaying a villain who is a psychotic serial killer".
cevik
I'm Special

Reply #5 on: April 28, 2004, 09:09:27 AM

Quote from: Alrindel

This is what I've been predicting since I got a look at the CoH beta: the DAOC model.  I just cannot see Cryptic ever making CoV PVP+, no matter how well it fits the lore - "ooh, look at me, I'm roleplaying a villain who is a psychotic serial killer".

Well we http://www.f13.net/index2.php?subaction=showfull&id=1082792543&archive=&start_from=&ucat=2&">know that it won't be PvP+, they've already said, “City of Villains will have PvP but it will NOT force PvP on everyone as a free-for-all”.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #6 on: April 28, 2004, 09:44:17 AM

My prediction:

City of Villans will be as fun as COH is and get a lot of buy-ins.  However, if you're going to buy it for the PVP+ zones you're going to be very dissapointed.

Now I say this not because I expect PVP using PVE balanced characters will suck. (It will.) Or because PVP in a level based system never works out well (since we know it doesn't.)

No, I say it because the vast majority of online gamers think evil = cool!! Good guys are pussies and only evil characters or anti-heroes are worth a damn.  Everyone wants to be the badass, it's just a phenomenon of modern culture.

Nobody wants to be Luke, Spidey, Leonardo, Superman or Captian America these days.  They're too trite, too squeaky-clean too 'good' to want to emulate.  No the real badasses every kiddy wants to be are Boba Fett, Spawn, Raphaiel, Lobo and The Punisher.

Because of this expect most folks, particualrly the catasses to abandon their heroes, or retire them to 'alt' status and startup a few badguys.  They'll all be something like, 'Diabolos', 'Infernal', 'The Black Death' or 'Bhaal', 'Baahhl', & 'Bahhlazamon'.

Then when hitting the PVP+ zones you'll find a lack of targets for any real PVP action.  It'll be like playing the overpowered realm in DAOC all over again.  Too many people on one side, and eventually you'll only get a few hardcore types on the other willing to poke their heads into the area.  Everyone else knows that it's just a guaranteed trip back to bind/the hospital after about 5 minutes because of all the roaming gank squads itching for some kind of action that's far far too rare.

I hope they prove me wrong.  I was hesitant to try it out at first, but it's been a damn fun game so far. I haven't missed playing 'find the new shiny item' or worrying if I'm underequipped which is what kept me going in EQ for a long time.  I still wonder about the long-haul and when the treadmill is going to wear on me, but for now it's entertaining.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
daveNYC
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: April 28, 2004, 09:45:15 AM

Quote from: Arthur_Parker
Edit to add www.cov.com seems to give you the chance to play an evil lawyer.

As opposed to the other kind?
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #8 on: April 28, 2004, 10:29:20 AM

Quote from: Merusk
My prediction:

I dont agree. Yes, a LOT of people will just to the evil side, but from what I understand, you will have to create a new character to play a villan. I think this will help even the teams out, because many people will stick with their high level main characters over having to level all over again for the pvp.

This is just a gut feeling, but I think there will be plenty of good guys. Also, take in to account the fact that the majority of people who are buying this game DO want to be a good guy, because right now thats all they can be, and that is the audence the game is catering to.

Oh, a lot of people will just to the villan side, but I think more will try it out, and then switch back to their main characters.
cevik
I'm Special

Reply #9 on: April 28, 2004, 10:50:11 AM

Quote from: Merusk

Nobody wants to be Luke, Spidey, Leonardo, Superman or Captian America these days.  They're too trite, too squeaky-clean too 'good' to want to emulate.  No the real badasses every kiddy wants to be are Boba Fett, Spawn, Raphaiel, Lobo and The Punisher.

I have more (less?) faith in the superiority complex of the average catass than I do in the desire to be a bad guy.  If Super Villains and pvp had been in at the start, I think your prediction would hold true; however, I think that most of the players are going to choose to stick with their max level toons so they can enter the pvp areas and gank those much Villains that are much lower level than them instead of abandoning those toons and descending back into the ranks of the low level plebeians where they aren't "special."

That's my guess.

Anonymous

Email
Reply #10 on: April 28, 2004, 10:58:14 AM

My guess is that PvP will be dominated by FotM soloers, and well built gank groups.  Expect immense nerfs to archers^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hranged classes with invisibility shortly after CoV goes live.  Sprinkle in some agreement with cevik's assessment of MMOG players being unwilling to surrender their "ubar" characters to start from scratch.  It will be interesting to see if there are limitations, such as "no creating villains if you already have heros on that server."  Just imagine the pitfalls that lie ahead, given how stubborn the industry seems to be about not learning from previous mistakes.  Why, we could recycle DAoC RvR rants for months!
kidder
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: April 28, 2004, 11:00:07 AM

If villians are more popular, why didn't they release CoV before CoH?

People like bad guys, who turn good...the cheer for that type of stuff.  The most popular hero's are also the ones with a dark side.  This mix of good and bad is what people like.  A really great hero with flaws...we identify with the flaws.  At least THAT type of stuff is mainstream.

Kidder
-I read forums.  Dur!
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #12 on: April 28, 2004, 11:50:06 AM

Quote from: cevik
So take it with a grain of salt, you just heard if from a guy that heard it from a guy that heard it from a guy, but this may be some of the first real information we've yet seen about CoV.

It should read:

So take it with a grain of salt, you just heard it from a guy that heard it from a guy that heard it from a guy lacking basic hygeine...
Kyper
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: April 28, 2004, 01:11:15 PM

A poster on the official boards says he talked to Statesman about City of Villains last night and got some answers about it.  I bring you linkage and the info he posted.  So far, I haven't seen a dev confirm any of this, but the guy's post sounds legit.

Spoke to Jack today at Fry's in CA about C of V...

... if you haven't seen him since the 03' E3 Video, he has cut his locks and actually looks like Michael McDonald from the Doobie Brothers. Anyway, myself and a dozen other people asked him the same thing.. "What's up with City of Villians?" Jack and Co. had some interesting things to say. First of all the game design will be completely based on consentual PvP, if you should choose to engage in it. You will NEVER be able to engage in combat with anyone who does not want to UNLESS there are NEW SPECIFIED SERVERS that are created specifically for this purpose. Separate servers with open PvP are not even planned at this point, and the game is AT LEAST a year away.

Point being, the current servers will not have in any way shape or form any types of non-consentual PvP. There MAY BE instanced zones where PvP can be conducted between heroes and villian consentually, but for all of you who are investing in characters right now on current servers who don't care for it and never care to see it or engage in it, rest assured, you won't have to. They are fully against unregulated, inconsequential, non-consentual PvP. Jack claims to be a 'closet griefer', and understands full well how to protect against fiends such as himself.

They did say that Heroes will have the opportunity to 'go bad' and become villians during the course of the game (it's no clear what level or if you can flop back and forth as many times as you want, but they gave the example of a high level hero turning bad.) You will also have the outright option to start as a villian when the expansion comes out. That's all they would give up, and everything else is top-secret until
E-3. FYI.

I found the part about heroes being able to turn into villains pretty interesting.  And, yes, as other folks are pointing out, it does sound a bit like DAOC.  I'm also thinking there will be more in the expansion.  Capes would be a good thing to entice the PVE-only crowd into buying it.
Jain Zar
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: April 28, 2004, 06:20:39 PM

I wouldn't mind it going the other way too, with villains going good guy.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #15 on: April 29, 2004, 03:06:59 AM

In other news, Funcom of AO fame has announced that now that they've got $4.5 million to kick around they're now working on three more MMO's to glut the market with.

http://www.funcom.com/news/newsarticle/7707/

Also, SquareEnix has announced the next expansion to FFXI entitled Chains of Promathia.

http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/promathia/

And finally for those people who feel the need to try every open beta out there no matter how much the game probably sucks,  Risk Your Life (RYL) goes into open beta May 1st, complete with a King of RYL PVP contest with a car as the grand prize.

http://www.gamemyth.com.my/
Contest Rules:  http://www.gamemyth.com.my/KOR_rules.htm
Hanzii
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: April 29, 2004, 03:35:24 AM

Quote from: Velorath
In other news, Funcom of AO fame has announced that now that they've got $4.5 million to kick around they're now working on three more MMO's to glut the market with.

TWO more. The third is Anarchy Online.
And at least one of those has been in development since 2002/2003.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would like to discuss this more with you, but I'm not allowed to post in Politics anymore.

Bruce
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: April 29, 2004, 05:26:28 AM

Quote from: Hanzii
Quote from: Velorath

TWO more. The third is Anarchy Online.
And at least one of those has been in development since 2002/2003.

Hey, hopefully now they can get back to work on Midgard. I was looking forward to that one.

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
Hanzii
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: April 29, 2004, 06:38:47 AM

I don't think they will. They guy in charge of production (producer not dev) was first moved to AO and is now working for IO Interactive (Hitman). Everybody else was either let go or moved to AO. I think Midgaard was in part stopped because Funcom found, that at the time, they had stretched ressources to far, but also because they had stopped considering the idea vable.
But perhaps...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would like to discuss this more with you, but I'm not allowed to post in Politics anymore.

Bruce
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: April 29, 2004, 07:42:23 AM

Well, as long as the official site is still in existence, I have hope. ;)

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Archived: We distort. We decide.  |  Topic: MMOG News 4/28/04: A Long History of Failure  
Jump to: