Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 07, 2024, 10:19:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: When do we get M.U.L.E. online? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: When do we get M.U.L.E. online?  (Read 2162 times)
Arnold
Terracotta Army

on: July 12, 2005, 01:34:08 AM

Aside from UO, M.U.L.E. is the best multiplayer computer game I have ever played.  Why doesn't someone revive it, update it, and enable internet play on it?
Evangolis
Contributor

Reply #1 on: July 12, 2005, 04:05:29 AM

From Wikipedia
Though M.U.L.E. has been hailed by the likes of Sid Meier and Will Wright as the greatest computer game ever designed, it has never been remade.

Bunten shifted focus to multiplayer games over the Internet. Bunten, a chain smoker since a teen, was diagnosed with lung cancer and died in 1998. She was working on an Internet version of M.U.L.E. when she died.

From Greg Costikyan
And we can at least hope that some smart publisher picks up Dani's redesign of M.U.L.E. for the internet--the design is complete, it merely requires implementation, but she was unable to find a venue for the game.

There has been an attempt to make a new version of M.U.L.E., named Space Horse by Gilligames, but the link gave me repeated SQL errors and no joy.  Addendum:  The folks at Shrapnel Games have that product now.  Buying it would show the market that you'll put your money where your memory is.  Besides, some of Shrapnel's stuff is pretty good.

And I found a site that remade the classic game for the internet, sans license, I presume.  There are also Atari emulators out there.  You'll have to look them up yourself, since posting the link is just a bit too close to stealing the IP of deceased industry pioneers for my taste.  Googling M.U.L.E. is a good way to sharpen your google fu, anyway.

"It was a difficult party" - an unexpected word combination from ex-Merry Prankster and author Robert Stone.
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #2 on: July 12, 2005, 09:47:37 PM

From Wikipedia
Though M.U.L.E. has been hailed by the likes of Sid Meier and Will Wright as the greatest computer game ever designed, it has never been remade.

Bunten shifted focus to multiplayer games over the Internet. Bunten, a chain smoker since a teen, was diagnosed with lung cancer and died in 1998. She was working on an Internet version of M.U.L.E. when she died.

From Greg Costikyan
And we can at least hope that some smart publisher picks up Dani's redesign of M.U.L.E. for the internet--the design is complete, it merely requires implementation, but she was unable to find a venue for the game.

There has been an attempt to make a new version of M.U.L.E., named Space Horse by Gilligames, but the link gave me repeated SQL errors and no joy.  Addendum:  The folks at Shrapnel Games have that product now.  Buying it would show the market that you'll put your money where your memory is.  Besides, some of Shrapnel's stuff is pretty good.

And I found a site that remade the classic game for the internet, sans license, I presume.  There are also Atari emulators out there.  You'll have to look them up yourself, since posting the link is just a bit too close to stealing the IP of deceased industry pioneers for my taste.  Googling M.U.L.E. is a good way to sharpen your google fu, anyway.

Wow, once I finally get my XCom fix finished (snagged the zip file for it from The Underdogs), I should really check out the remake.  Or Google for the emulator and the ROM...hmm I wonder if this old PowerMac 5400/180 that runs MacMAME for all of my old school arcade goodness also supports Atari...or rather whether MacMAME supports Atari ROMS.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: When do we get M.U.L.E. online?  
Jump to: