Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:03:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Genius or Asshole Move? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Genius or Asshole Move?  (Read 4739 times)
Kyper
Terracotta Army

on: April 27, 2004, 10:30:14 PM

So, right after taking the CoH servers down to let in only the retail folks with CD keys, NCSoft offers CD keys for purchase online... immediately.

People on the beta/pre-order boards had been asking about this for a while, since it was mentioned god knows how long ago, but never brought up again.

If you pre-ordered online, it's too late to cancel your order.  But, you can buy a CD key and get right into the game.  

I bought one just now and have a pre-order on the way, but that's because I have more money than sense and I'm an impatient son of a bitch.  I always say "I'll pay for quality and convenience".  

I don't mind that I might wind up with two copies of the game, but something about this offer from NCSoft reeks of opportunism and hiding information from soon-to-be paying customers.

Like I said, I don't mind paying extra and I'm not bitching about it.  Just wondering what others think.
DarkDryad
Terracotta Army

da hizzookup

Reply #1 on: April 27, 2004, 10:32:24 PM

well I dunno Gamestop has no idea when they will get my preorder. Luckily I only paid 5 bucks on it so I may just say screw it and buy a key online. I have to work tomorrow sick or not so I'll see.

BWL is funny tho.  It's like watching a Special Needs school take a field trip to a minefield.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #2 on: April 28, 2004, 12:53:36 AM

Quote from: Kyper
If you pre-ordered online, it's too late to cancel your order.  But, you can buy a CD key and get right into the game.

If you pre-ordered it online you could probably find it in the store before your copy arrives too.  The lesson here is never pre-order a game online you want to play at launch.
tar
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: April 28, 2004, 02:59:31 AM

Quote from: Velorath
If you pre-ordered it online you could probably find it in the store before your copy arrives too.  The lesson here is never pre-order a game online you want to play at launch.

Unless you live in a country that won't be getting the retail boxes in stores for many months to come. For international orders, the only way to get it is to order online.
Alrindel
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: April 28, 2004, 05:29:53 AM

Allowing download purchase of the game: genius.

Not overtly publicizing plans to allow download purchase on release day: understandable.  They have a publisher and a lot of cooperative retailers that they don't want to piss off.

Cutting off the pre-order players right on release day: profoundly stupid.  An awful lot of people who pre-ordered are now banned from the game for n days while they wait for their box to arrive.  They seriously should have extended the cut-off another few days - what would that have cost them?
tar
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: April 28, 2004, 05:39:20 AM

Quote from: Alrindel

Cutting off the pre-order players right on release day: profoundly stupid.  An awful lot of people who pre-ordered are now banned from the game for n days while they wait for their box to arrive.  They seriously should have extended the cut-off another few days - what would that have cost them?

Agreed. We've pre-ordered, can't cancel (no cancel option once the beta key was sent), have the client and they already can confirm that we've pre-ordered - we were able to get in for the 3 day thing.

How hard would it be to let the access run a little longer until keys can arrive through the mail? Or even just credit the accounts with a week or two of access, is that unreasonable?

Unless this is a conspiracy to ensure less people in-game for the first few days of retail? :)

Oh well, I suppose I'd better get back to sacrificing chickens to ensure a swift delivery time.
daveNYC
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: April 28, 2004, 06:48:03 AM

Quote from: Velorath
Quote from: Kyper

I thought the lesson from most MMOGs is don't play at launch.
schild
Administrator

Reply #7 on: April 28, 2004, 06:54:01 AM

Quote from: daveNYC
I thought the lesson from most MMOGs is don't play at launch.

Standard principles do not apply to CoH. I bought a CD key tonight at 12:30, was in the game by 12:45 - billing was a breeze (easy to follow, took like 5 minutes) - and am about to hit level 14.

NCSoft has set the benchmark for a launch and Cryptic has set the benchmark for expected polish from a game. Anything less from ANY game and I just won't get it a chance. Fuck'em - an independent developer showed them how to do business.
Aslan
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: April 28, 2004, 06:56:49 AM

Yeah, I noticed that last night as I desperately perused the boards after 11 pm.  I tell you what, I fucking hate getting paid only once a month.  If I wasn't dead broke I would have gotten a CD key last night and the ten bucks I already spent on a pre-order would just be my gift to CoH for the sweet beta...
DarkDryad
Terracotta Army

da hizzookup

Reply #9 on: April 28, 2004, 07:21:58 AM

I wholeheartedly agree Oh Aslan king of the catasses. Matter of fact I think we were waiting on the hammer to fall on the globe together if I am not mistaken heh.

BWL is funny tho.  It's like watching a Special Needs school take a field trip to a minefield.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: April 28, 2004, 08:12:45 AM

Hey Aslan is only Co-King of Catasses. He and I currently share tha title. Get your facts straight before I make you one of my "employees". Don't make me get out of this car and choke a Dryad. You hear me? I want my money, and I want it by tonight.

Oh...and co-king CatAss.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Aslan
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: April 28, 2004, 08:17:54 AM

Quote from: DarkDryad
I wholeheartedly agree Oh Aslan king of the catasses. Matter of fact I think we were waiting on the hammer to fall on the globe together if I am not mistaken heh.

Yeah, I saw dryad on top of old Atlas, all covered with cheese.  I wonder if I can petition to have my Derelict title changed to King of the Catasses.  At least until the next election...
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: April 28, 2004, 08:24:48 AM

I said COOOO-KING!

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #13 on: April 28, 2004, 08:26:02 AM

Quote from: Riggswolfe
Hey Aslan is only Co-King of Catasses. He and I currently share tha title. Get your facts straight before I make you one of my "employees". Don't make me get out of this car and choke a Dryad. You hear me? I want my money, and I want it by tonight.

Oh...and co-king CatAss.

Don't you dare TOUCH Dark Dyrad!  I cannot survive this game without my Double Ds!

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: April 28, 2004, 08:44:22 AM

Signe,

I know you set me up perfectly, that is why I will respectfully decline to make an boob jokes. I will however continue with my hooker jokes I started in my reply to Dark Dryad just as soon as I work up the energy.

Aslan
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: April 28, 2004, 08:45:40 AM

Quote from: Riggswolfe
Signe,

I know you set me up perfectly, that is why I will respectfully decline to make an boob jokes. I will however continue with my hooker jokes I started in my reply to Dark Dryad just as soon as I work up the energy.

Yes, hooking IS quite tiring, isn't it Riggsy?  But you have such talent.
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

The Anne Coulter of MMO punditry

Reply #16 on: April 28, 2004, 10:58:58 AM

For Cryptic/NCSoft's sake, I hope they've not been delaying box release deliberately to fish people into buying CD keys.    I may be forced to give them a stern glare.    Of course, this is somewhat unlikely.  

We'll see if my CoH copy shows up at the local EB Games some time today or not.    Just as I was writing this, in fact, eB Games called up and told me my City of Heroes copy is in.   I guess that settles that.

DarkDryad
Terracotta Army

da hizzookup

Reply #17 on: April 28, 2004, 11:03:32 AM

You just wish you had gotten a gander at the hottness that are my double D's beyotch. Oh and Im keepin the money punk. I ho for me alone

Aslan
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: April 28, 2004, 11:04:09 AM

Quote from: DarkDryad
You just wish you had gotten a gander at the hottness that are my double D's beyotch. Oh and Im keepin the money punk. I ho for me alone

Don't make me send my boys to get my 50%, it won't be pretty.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Genius or Asshole Move?  
Jump to: