Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:20:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Anybody into NWN? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anybody into NWN?  (Read 5072 times)
Train Wreck
Contributor

on: April 27, 2004, 08:35:20 PM

I tried doing a forum search and was surprised to see little mention of it, possibly because of the merger...  Anyways, I finally decided to take a look at this game, largely because of its touted world-building.  What are your overall opinions of it?  Does anybody still play it?  How's the multi-player?  Is the HoU expansion worth another $30?

I'm a few hours into the official campaign, hoping it gets better soon.
cevik
I'm Special

I've always wondered about the All Black People Eat Watermelons

Reply #1 on: April 27, 2004, 08:43:34 PM

I liked both expansions much much more than I liked the original game.  I still play NWN because it's one of the few multiplayer games my wife enjoys, so we often play through some of the player created modules after my son goes to sleep.  

Yeah, we're kinda pathetic..

The above space is available for purchase.  Send a Private Message for a complete price list and payment information.  Thank you for your business.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #2 on: April 27, 2004, 10:33:31 PM

I played it a lot fora while. Got bored of it.

I made a few dungeons with my bro.
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

The best part of SWG was the easy account cancellation process.

Reply #3 on: April 27, 2004, 10:54:15 PM

I have to agree with cevik that the expansions were superior to the original game content, story-wise.  They also add a bunch of stuff to the game that makes it more appealing.

--
Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #4 on: April 27, 2004, 11:35:46 PM

Quote from: cevik
we often play through some of the player created modules after my son goes to sleep.  

And I thought playing PnP Dungeons and Dragons with my cat was pathetic.

Anywho, I've been meaning to buy this + expansions. Is there a gold edition or something along that line out? I'd like to try and save.
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

The best part of SWG was the easy account cancellation process.

Reply #5 on: April 27, 2004, 11:40:34 PM

Quote from: NiX
Is there a gold edition or something along that line out? I'd like to try and save.

The 'Gold' edition contains NWN and the first expansion, SoU.  You still have to buy the 2nd expansion, HotU, seperately.

Bought that way it's ~$70, for the full game.

--
Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: April 29, 2004, 02:56:32 PM

Obligatory "look you can play my crappy module" plug whenever a NWN topic starts up.

Legend of the Golden Axe
Train Wreck
Contributor

Reply #7 on: April 30, 2004, 01:00:49 AM

I'll give it a try.  It's bound to be better than the official campaign has been so far.  Maybe I just happened to pick a really boring character.  Anybody like Paladins?

I think my main beef is having to return to the temple every couple of minutes because I can't carry anymore.
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: April 30, 2004, 07:13:31 AM

Quote from: NiX
Quote from: cevik
we often play through some of the player created modules after my son goes to sleep.  

And I thought playing PnP Dungeons and Dragons with my cat was pathetic.

Anywho, I've been meaning to buy this + expansions. Is there a gold edition or something along that line out? I'd like to try and save.

WTF is wrong with playing video games with your wife?  Don't be fooled Cevik, most of these guys would give their left nut for a video game playing wife/girlfriend/plastic love toy.  My wife liked NWN as well, but we haven't played it in awhile.  We sort of bogged down in the main game somewhere in chapter 3 and would probably have to restart now (no clue where savegames are).  The story was mediocre at best, but that isn't what stopped us.  We had HUGE technical problems and her savegames kept getting hosed.  And then she would not properly load in my main savegame either.  So we would have to remake her character and use DM mode to buff it up to the right level.  This happened about every other play session and sucked monkey balls.

We have recently been talking about picking up an expansion and starting there to see if the technical problems have gone away.

We also played a lot of Anarchy Online together.  The missions made that really nice.  Still trying to get her into CoH.  She isn't going for this whole superhero thing.  Her best friend is in town and I am going to see if I can hook HER.  If I get her I have my wife... muhhaahahahahaha.  As it is now, I have a hard time dragging my wife from SWG.  She has insane money but mainly uses the game as a way to stay in touch with her best friend all the time.  We have three systems, Usually I am on one, my wife is playing swg with her friend on the other, and the third has a webcam msn chat open with that same friend.
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: April 30, 2004, 07:15:00 AM

On the NWN note, I am not terribly fond of the game. I always felt that the main storyline was trite crap, BUT there are some interesting persistent world servers that people are running if you want a MMOG feel to your NWN experience. Sprinkle in campaigns, quests and events and you could have yourself a pretty fun time.

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
Alrindel
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: April 30, 2004, 07:33:41 AM

I bought NWN when it came out and was interested in the possibilities of using it as a client to play in other people's custom campaigns, but the ones I tried randomly using their built-in server search tool sucked hard - as you would expect random online servers to do.  And I never got past the first chapter of the single-player campaign.  By the time some friends built their own persistent world running on a full-time server, and I thought about reinstalling it and trying again, they had moved on to whatever expansion pack they're on now and my client was incompatible, so that was the end of that.

The camera positioning drove me absolutely APE in that game.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #11 on: May 03, 2004, 07:56:32 PM

For some reason I just can't get into the official campaigns. I've had the most fun playing really really awesome player-made modules. Most of which are supplied by the much-hated Vault network.

Honor Amoung Thieves impressed the hell out of me. It's better than all three official campaigns.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Preston
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: May 03, 2004, 11:40:29 PM

Quote from: Train Wreck
I tried doing a forum search and was surprised to see little mention of it, possibly because of the merger...  Anyways, I finally decided to take a look at this game, largely because of its touted world-building.  What are your overall opinions of it?  Does anybody still play it?  How's the multi-player?  Is the HoU expansion worth another $30?

I'm a few hours into the official campaign, hoping it gets better soon.

SoU and HoU were really good.  The best part about NWN though is playing player-made modules.  That stuff is awesome and limitless fun!

Kingdom of Eleador
Darkfall fanboi extraordinaire!

Satam> question: can we change hairstyles?
Claus|Dev> satam: most probably not, go play Barbie Online
El Gallo
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: May 04, 2004, 06:35:23 AM

I also thought that the original campaign sucked, but SoU was decent.  HoU I thought was actually very good.  I thought it was a lot better than the story in KotOR.

This post makes me want to squeeze into my badass red jeans.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #14 on: May 04, 2004, 07:22:26 AM

Quote from: Alrindel
I bought NWN when it came out and was interested in the possibilities of using it as a client to play in other people's custom campaigns, but the ones I tried randomly using their built-in server search tool sucked hard - as you would expect random online servers to do.  And I never got past the first chapter of the single-player campaign.  By the time some friends built their own persistent world running on a full-time server, and I thought about reinstalling it and trying again, they had moved on to whatever expansion pack they're on now and my client was incompatible, so that was the end of that.

The camera positioning drove me absolutely APE in that game.

This pretty much echoes my experience. I regret buying NWN, maybe even more than I regret buying DS, because at least I got 10 hours or so before I got sick of that crapola.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Anybody into NWN?  
Jump to: