Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:10:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Archived: We distort. We decide.  |  Topic: Review: Fate (PC) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Review: Fate (PC)  (Read 13354 times)
schild
Administrator

on: July 01, 2005, 08:18:03 AM

Article Sent in by Yegolev.

50 Levels of Addiction.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2005, 10:28:14 AM by schild »
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #1 on: July 01, 2005, 08:51:55 AM

Article Sent in my Yegolev.

Now I can't shake the image of Yegolev acting as a coke mule.  But, you know, with a game review instead of coke.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #2 on: July 01, 2005, 09:13:49 AM

Article Sent in my Yegolev.

50 Levels of Addiction.

How is this possible?  Is it pervy?

Good review, by the way.  I want to play it.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
schild
Administrator

Reply #3 on: July 01, 2005, 10:28:32 AM

By yegolev. Damn you. Both of you.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #4 on: July 01, 2005, 10:44:31 AM

Shouldn't you guys leave the Curry avatards for later and don some patriotic ones instead?  Like what I did?

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
schild
Administrator

Reply #5 on: July 01, 2005, 10:45:30 AM

Shouldn't you guys leave the Curry avatards for later and don some patriotic ones instead?  Like what I did?

Stop spamming in WDWD.

I'll pretty these up for July 4th later.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #6 on: July 04, 2005, 04:13:45 PM

Perhaps you want to explain the unlocking system used for the 20 dollars it costs.

Also, maybe a background on WildTangent.
schild
Administrator

Reply #7 on: July 04, 2005, 04:33:56 PM

Perhaps you want to explain the unlocking system used for the 20 dollars it costs.

Also, maybe a background on WildTangent.

It's just unlocking the game. You know, you put in a code, it unlocks it.

There's no spyware. We wouldn't recommend something like that.
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

The best part of SWG was the easy account cancellation process.

Reply #8 on: July 04, 2005, 09:02:42 PM

Quote from: Travis Baldree
Shock - WT is undergoing an effort at present to basically do away with all resident stuff and registry-specific code, and bringing the unlocking systems, etc. local to each game. This will hopefully ixnay all the Spyware related concerns. Fate turned out to be a good way to receive real user feedback on what should be changed, so within a few months there should be some substantial differences.

Don't know if that sets you at ease at all, but there you go

Travis

From the Fate Tech Support forums, post dated Jul 3, 05.  I've been tempted several times to pick it up, it's pretty fun.

Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: July 11, 2005, 06:53:25 PM

I loved Diablo, Hated Diablo II, and love Fate.  So there's hope for everybody.

Just try it, it's fun.

Anyone else doing the Tank-Tamer bit?  Would be a lot more fun if the defensive buffs lasted longer.

Why don't you try our other games?
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: July 11, 2005, 09:57:06 PM

This isn't the greatest video game in the world, this is just a tribute.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #11 on: August 08, 2005, 11:32:48 AM

Is this game playable on a laptop without an external mouse, or is it like Diablo where mousing is very key? I just thought I'd ask because the internal laptop mouse blows and I don't have an external readily available here.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #12 on: August 08, 2005, 12:06:37 PM

Click to move, click to attack, click to pick up items, click to buy/sell.  I'd say it is mouse-centric.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #13 on: August 08, 2005, 12:28:03 PM

Then I'll have to wait I guess.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
voodoolily
Contributor

Finnuh, munnuh, muhfuh, I enjoy creating new written vernacular, s'all.

Reply #14 on: December 16, 2005, 12:30:04 PM

And with the Tenacious D quote, you are teh winzor.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
The Legend of Zephyr - a different blog.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #15 on: December 16, 2005, 12:35:47 PM

Well that was an out of the blue necro.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: December 16, 2005, 12:40:50 PM

Well that was an out of the blue necro.

No actually it was quite predictable.  See your thread in PC Games.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #17 on: December 16, 2005, 12:55:00 PM

And with the Tenacious D quote, you are teh winzor.
I was watching a tape of old music appearances the other day while my super tv was conked out. I used to tape cool bands on SNL, Leno, Letterman, Conan, etc (before I had cable and whatnot). I saw these weirdoes come on Conan in superhero outfits, but they totally rock. So I hit record, it's the D doing Wonder Boy. My eqholic friend later tells me who Jack Black was, I had no idea (this was 2000/2001 or so).
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: December 16, 2005, 12:59:47 PM

Pick.

Of.

Destiny.
voodoolily
Contributor

Finnuh, munnuh, muhfuh, I enjoy creating new written vernacular, s'all.

Reply #19 on: December 16, 2005, 01:47:23 PM

I was watching a tape of old music appearances the other day while my super tv was conked out. I used to tape cool bands on SNL, Leno, Letterman, Conan, etc (before I had cable and whatnot). I saw these weirdoes come on Conan in superhero outfits, but they totally rock. So I hit record, it's the D doing Wonder Boy. My eqholic friend later tells me who Jack Black was, I had no idea (this was 2000/2001 or so).

Oddly enough, it was this very appearance on Conan that turned me on to the D as well. But I thought they did Tribute. I remember Jables tearing off his shirt to reveal flames painted on his potbelly and he did the air-Hendrix-burning-his-guitar bit (which I've totally stolen for karaoke, except for the shirt-tearing part). Maybe they were on there twice or something. (Oh wait, did they do Tribute on Mad TV?)

I have the DVD of their HBO series. You should check it out. They do hilarious open mic performances in every episode, and there are some funny cameos.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
The Legend of Zephyr - a different blog.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: December 16, 2005, 06:50:57 PM

The Masterworks Collection.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: December 19, 2005, 09:00:10 AM

The Masterworks Collection.

It's great.

Naked Puppets for teh win.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
schild
Administrator

Reply #22 on: December 19, 2005, 09:02:00 AM

I FINALLY BEAT FATE. Well sort of. I may keep going. I got through the 42 level (main story) part of the dungeon in a fairly short amount of time. About 7 hours. It's easily a $20 game. But the replayability is fantastic if you like that sort of thing. It's replaced Diablo II as a permanent install on my harddrive.

Oh, and it really really really needs a PSP port.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: December 19, 2005, 11:42:12 PM

That heirloom thing is one of the cutest tricks to encourage retiring your character and start anew in an open-ended game ever.

Yes, its two days and I already got to that point. Sue me, sleep is for wussies.
schild
Administrator

Reply #24 on: December 19, 2005, 11:45:04 PM

Yes, its two days and I already got to that point. Sue me, sleep is for wussies.

You and I should race. Work can wait.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: December 19, 2005, 11:47:20 PM

Oh nonono, I'm not fast. Just persistant!
schild
Administrator

Reply #26 on: December 19, 2005, 11:49:36 PM

It took me about 2 days to do the same thing. Awwwww, comeon. Who can get to level 50 first. I think it's fair. We can also take other statistics into account like level when reached etc. My last game was a doozy though. I finished level 42 at level 22 with level 61 Skeleton Minions. To say the least, Charm magic makes the game WAY too easy.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: December 19, 2005, 11:59:23 PM

I know you would win, but if you insist we can do that when I'm free from work again after christmas. Right now I sit in the office and try to keep the Christmas peace without dozing off.

I just went two handed fighting and critical hits on my first try. Some Life stealing gems on the equipment and you basically heal yourself with all those crits. Basic weapons+enchantersockets=pure love.
schild
Administrator

Reply #28 on: December 20, 2005, 12:09:55 AM

I know you would win, but if you insist we can do that when I'm free from work again after christmas. Right now I sit in the office and try to keep the Christmas peace without dozing off.

I just went two handed fighting and critical hits on my first try. Some Life stealing gems on the equipment and you basically heal yourself with all those crits. Basic weapons+enchantersockets=pure love.

My build was dropping all my stats into Vitality and Magic and all of my skills into Critical and Charm. For some reason I went fishing and fished up an item that pulled a sword worth about 4,000,000 gold and sold it. This was around level 12 of the dungeon. The sword was a piece of shit. I gambled on stuff that made a matching outfit because it was such a stupid amount of money. Everything I pulled had either + to polearm, a mana stealing component, + to Charm magic, or + to critical. I used that armor and weapon for the next 30 levels of the dungeon. I was a juggernaut.

Truly, this is the new nethack without stupid deaths and that whole low-tech boring shit.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: December 20, 2005, 12:20:22 AM

Hmm, fishing sounds like fun. I stopped after my first flawless fish permanently changed my pet. When you are tired, sitting and looking for that ! to appear while the waves softly glide against the dungeon wall isn't the smartest idea. I will take my time the second time around I think.

I agree its the Nethack for lazy hours. I love getting out of tight spots by thinking about my next move for 15 minutes like the next guy and the permadeath is part of the fun, but after a good run and a stupid death I am usually burned out of it for some weeks.
schild
Administrator

Reply #30 on: December 20, 2005, 12:28:07 AM

I don't remember where I said it, but I stopped at every fishing area I saw and found if you don't get a good item within the first 1 to 3 attempts, you just aren't going to - though it's more likely the 1st or 2nd attempt that clinches your fate. Har.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #31 on: December 20, 2005, 11:35:34 AM

Charm Magic is powerful, but it seems to slow my character's progression downward since I have to herd those damn poisonous wyverns like idiot cats.  On the other hand, absolutely nothing can touch me.  That heirloom staff with +32 Charm Magic is faaaaan-tastic.

In a race to dungeon level 50, hmmm... I am playing with an Attack Magic build now and I think I might be able to go faster; a melee-crit build might be faster if you get some good equipment early.  If not for the minion-herding variable, Charm Magic would be the hands-down winner.  I really thought I'd be kicking more ass with the Attack Magic build, but it's a fresh character without an heirloom.

Yes, Nethack without the suck.  And unlike DSII, I can read the item labels.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
schild
Administrator

Reply #32 on: December 20, 2005, 12:37:11 PM

oooooh. A 3 man race. How about this. You only get one heirloom since we all have that and you have to post a picture. Oh, this could be fun. Someone else must want in.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: December 20, 2005, 08:45:03 PM

I installed the game back in fucking July or whatever, and now it won't work, says I have to pay them more monies.
schild
Administrator

Reply #34 on: December 20, 2005, 08:54:36 PM

I installed the game back in fucking July or whatever, and now it won't work, says I have to pay them more monies.

Just email their customer support. If you actually paid for it and are on record I'm SURE they'll understand.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Archived: We distort. We decide.  |  Topic: Review: Fate (PC)  
Jump to: