Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 04:17:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Magic: The Gathering Online  |  Topic: Excuse me while I change my pants 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Excuse me while I change my pants  (Read 2922 times)
Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

on: June 29, 2005, 09:28:40 PM

So Schild, you prefer the older sets, eh?

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgcom/daily/bs15

Fucking Mirage!

Six months from now: 
Turn 1, Swamp, Dark Ritual, Hypnotic Spector, go.   Rock Out
Xilren's Twin

Reply #1 on: June 30, 2005, 09:33:12 AM

Well, that was unexpected.

One the one hand it's pretty cool they would go back and add old sets to MTGO; on the other, if the only format that will use it is the anything goes "classic", i dont know how much play it will get.  I hope they at least do drafts and leagues for it.

On the other hand, I'd rather they start to take advantage of the concept that MTGO can be very different than paper magic due to the medium.  If any of you played the microprose game way back when, you know there were some cards the created specifically for that game that didn't exist in paper magic.  Cards like Rainbow Knights, which when you played it got protection from a random color, or Aswan Jaguar, which got tap to kill a radnbom creature type found in your opponents deck.  Those random effects took advantage of the nature of the platform.  Also, the rpg part of that game often had you fighting with odd life amount, different deck restrictions, and carryovers.  Fer instance a dungeon may restrict your deck with no enchantments allowed, have random bonuses you could find, and have life loss carryover from duel to due (i.e. you end a duel at 10, you start you next duel at 10)l, so designing a deck for that challenge was quite different than the deck you would use playing random nps in the wilds.

MTGO certainly COULD go this route, and develop new game types, or even entire small expansion that were online only.  But it would mean a break in the "duplicate paper precisiely so we don't undermine it" plan.

Or they could get off their asses and make a mmorpg out of it already.

Xilren

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: June 30, 2005, 09:40:11 AM

HOLY FUCK.
LOVE LOVE TROPICANA.
schild
Administrator

Reply #3 on: June 30, 2005, 09:46:31 AM

This is a great rundown from that article:

Three very popular Tutors – Enlightened, Mystical, Worldly, all uncommon.

A cycle of common Guildmages with handy abilities – particularly Granger and Shadow that can each “ping” a creature or player for one red mana. The Invasion block guildmages were “toned down” versions of these little powerhouses.

One of black's most bashful beatdown creatures, Skulking Ghost, ready to take solid chunks out of your opponent's life total with each attack so long as nobody looks at him cross-eyed or breathes in his direction. Back in the day, we called him “Stinky.”

Probably the most incredible multiplayer wall ever printed, Wall of Roots is the mana machine that keeps on giving during each player's turn.
Toss it in your Shirei, Shizo's Caretaker deck and never run out of extra mana!

Not quite Lightning Bolt-good, but the decidedly undercosted – and common! – Incinerate!

Restricted in Type 1, Lion's Eye Diamond can now give online players a chance to abuse this card with Wishes and flashback.

We already mentioned Frenetic Efreet, but I wanted to mention him again, probably the only coin-flip card to be a seriously powerful constructed card.

The original Fetch Lands (Bad River, Flood Plain, etc), as uncommons they should be a wonderful boon for the casual players who don't have as many of the Onslaught rare fetchlands as they'd like. Prismatic fans rejoice!

After looking through the Mirage spoiler. I can only say this.

YAY 4 BRAKING MY ONLNE ECONOMY, GUYZ.
schild
Administrator

Reply #4 on: June 30, 2005, 10:04:19 AM

Oh. And they're releasing the full block it looks like from reading the article. KIYAH.
AOFanboi
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: June 30, 2005, 10:34:31 AM

Oh. And they're releasing the full block it looks like from reading the article. KIYAH.
That would be Mirage, Visions and Weatherlight for those not keeping count.

Current: Mario Kart DS, Nintendogs
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Magic: The Gathering Online  |  Topic: Excuse me while I change my pants  
Jump to: