Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:27:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Game Design/Development  |  Topic: Are celebrity voice-overs important? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Are celebrity voice-overs important?  (Read 13387 times)
bhodikhan
Terracotta Army

on: June 23, 2005, 06:45:01 AM

"The Screen Actors Guild rejected a contract proposal that would have given performers who provide the voices of video game characters a 36 percent raise over three years, according to a published report."

"Some SAG members argued the union should hold out until makers of video games agreed to share their profits and also acknowledged the contribution of stars, who are increasingly tapped for games. One of the key demands from actors had been to receive extra money when a game sells more than 400,000 units, but representatives of the $25 billion game industry refused to budge.

Actors currently are paid a minimum of $556 per four-hour session. The 3 1/2 -year agreement that was scrapped by SAG on Tuesday would have increased the rate to $759 by 2008, with an immediate 25 percent increase to $695."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8317834/

Personally, I could care less if Samuel Jackson does the voice over. Is it that important? As long as the voice talent sounds good I'd rather have the money spent on other features.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2005, 06:47:56 AM by bhodikhan »
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #1 on: June 23, 2005, 07:03:14 AM

SAG or AFTRA doesn't necessarily entail celebrities or Sam Jackson. It entails just about every actor who's had a decent speaking role in 90% of the films, tv shows, and commericials out there.

Whatever "good" talent that's available is most likely going to be unionized.....And if you do so happen to find the right people for the job that aren't guilded --- Then they're eventually going to be anyways, especially once they start getting steady work.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #2 on: June 23, 2005, 07:06:24 AM

Whether the voices are those of celebrities or not doesn't matter to me.  Unless it's James Earl Jones or Eric Idle, I never recognise them anyway.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
bhodikhan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: June 23, 2005, 07:20:50 AM

Given the "production values" going into most every game and the SAG contracts (which I've had to sign to get work done) I think you'll see overseas voice talent being used in place of SAG members and their annoying contracts.

I can't wait for some more "engrish" VO's to start hitting the games. I've already played a few Japanese titles with accented voices and found them to be quite decent.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #4 on: June 23, 2005, 07:26:20 AM

Given the "production values" going into most every game and the SAG contracts (which I've had to sign to get work done) I think you'll see overseas voice talent being used in place of SAG members and their annoying contracts.

I can't wait for some more "engrish" VO's to start hitting the games. I've already played a few Japanese titles with accented voices and found them to be quite decent.

It could certainly work in some cases, but I think sooner or later they're going to have to come in agreement on something. Ignoring the problem isn't going to help. Game companies need to change their ways a bit. As I said on the "other" site about this: It's not a technological industry so much as it is an entertainment industry....And there are certain rules one is going to have to play by the more that becomes apparent.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2005, 07:28:23 AM by Stray »
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #5 on: June 23, 2005, 08:46:01 AM

You know who I'm going to blame the problems on, don't you? The people who are really making the money in the game industry, the publishers. The developers don't make shit. Most of that $25 billion dollars isn't going to the developers, that's for goddamn sure.

The douchebags in charge of the money in gaming don't want to let any of it go.

Pococurante
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: June 23, 2005, 09:41:40 AM

Far as I'm concerned game publishers don't need to play SAG's little reindeer games.  The trend to overly adverti-commercialize games already pisses me off.  To me it's more immersion-breaking when I twinge to a well-known name.  Earl Jones doing a CNN VO gets my attention for the right reason.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: June 23, 2005, 10:30:53 AM

No celebrity voiceovers and more mentally stimulating content for me please.

I'd prefer games have more content depth/interesting concepts and less "glitz".  I'm really tiring of the flashy graphics with superficial gameplay.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: June 23, 2005, 11:52:52 AM

I see this as a gain for anime dub actors.

No, seriously.

Typically they have both SAG and non-SAG identities. They have to work both sides because of the scarcity of work. Unlike those in Hollywood, dub actors have to keep their day jobs. There are pools of experienced voice actors willing to flip SAG the bird in both CA and TX.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Evangolis
Contributor

Reply #9 on: June 23, 2005, 11:53:29 AM

Celebrities are generally a distraction in video games.  Immersion breaking.

However, professionals do a better job, on average, in my experience.  This is true of voice work as it is of anything.

So I think games could benefit from the use of skilled professionals.  And I think industry workers in general could benefit from SAG-like comtract terms.  But until programmers and designers are getting similar terms, I doubt that voice actors are going to get much traction.

Which means that at least one part of video games will continue to suck.

I'm shocked, shocked, I tell you.

"It was a difficult party" - an unexpected word combination from ex-Merry Prankster and author Robert Stone.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #10 on: June 23, 2005, 12:20:51 PM

Which means that at least one part of video games will continue to suck.

QA?

Pococurante
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: June 23, 2005, 12:50:19 PM

Fun?
Sogrinaugh
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: June 23, 2005, 12:53:58 PM

I dont give a shit about voice actin in a game, unless its used all the time (like in WoW).  In that case, you need to have it done well or it will eventually just become nails down a chalkboard for your players.  If its just a couple cutscenes, fuck SAG and get some homeless people to do it, i'd rather see the bread go into making the game not suck.

I also dont think voice actors are particularly entitled to %-of-sales based anything.  Nobody buys a game cause they heard so-and-so is voiice actin in it.  All the good voice acting does is make itself not obnoxious.  I can think of VERY few games where i actually found it to be an enhancment (Baldur's Gate 1&2, Fallout 2).

Anime is a different beast, and those actors can get paid, because thier success or failure is a huge part of what makes the movie good or suck.
schild
Administrator

Reply #13 on: June 23, 2005, 05:55:20 PM

The people who did the voicework in Colorful are amazing. That said, the Japanese dub of Howl (the new Ghibli movie) has Takuya Kimura playing the lead.

No one in America can beat that.

In other words: I agree with Stormwaltz. Personally, I hate seeing something and hearing Fox Mulder. Or any other character. Area 51 happened to be what was in my head.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #14 on: June 23, 2005, 10:50:23 PM

I still don't get what actor's unions has to do with "celebrities" per se. That's misleading. Or did I miss something here?
schild
Administrator

Reply #15 on: June 23, 2005, 11:20:27 PM

While there's more than one actor's union, SAG is the important one. It consists of the rich and famous and is the one in the news all the time. "News from the Screen Actor's Guild" blah blah blah blah blah blah. Basically - the rich are being greedy. Which is fine with me, I don't want Final Fantasy XII's lead guy and girl to be...

...Dharma and Greg.

Edit: Wiki Entry for SAG.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2005, 11:22:20 PM by schild »
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #16 on: June 24, 2005, 12:14:26 AM

I know what SAG is, of course (I'm a wannabe actor/professional auditioner, if you recall?  cheesy). And while it contains the bigger name actors out there, it also has like 90,000 members (last I checked). AFTRA is around 70,000. AEA (stage union) is close to 40,000. Half are in at least two of those. There's over 100,000 unionized actors in America alone. Only about 5% are celebrities (counting old fogeys and recognizable has beens). Trying to bypass them is not really the wisest thing to do.

As for the rich wanting to get richer, yeah, I'll agree on that somewhat....When it pertains to the bigger names. What's new though? And besides, like Haemish mentioned, the other side of the court has it's own share of moneygrubbing bastards.

edit: The other thing worth mentioning is that the more you employ non unionized actors with good work, the more impressive of a resume they'll have to be able to qualify for a union (or at least unionized projects...which, in turn, leads them to join a union). All worthy actors eventually join. So no matter what way you look at it, a union's demands aren't really going to go away.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2005, 12:29:50 AM by Stray »
Pococurante
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: June 24, 2005, 09:44:35 AM

edit: The other thing worth mentioning is that the more you employ non unionized actors with good work, the more impressive of a resume they'll have to be able to qualify for a union (or at least unionized projects...which, in turn, leads them to join a union). All worthy actors eventually join. So no matter what way you look at it, a union's demands aren't really going to go away.

Except for a handful of blockbuster games probably tied to a franchise there really is no pressure on the game industry to hire more expensive union talent.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #18 on: June 24, 2005, 03:25:22 PM

Screw them. I want decent voice acting by actors who's voices I don't recognise. I want to associate the voice of the character with the character, not the character the actor played on a UPN sitcom.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #19 on: June 24, 2005, 07:54:06 PM

edit: Screw it.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2005, 08:04:28 PM by Stray »
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #20 on: June 27, 2005, 01:29:28 PM

No, seriously.

Typically they have both SAG and non-SAG identities. They have to work both sides because of the scarcity of work. Unlike those in Hollywood, dub actors have to keep their day jobs. There are pools of experienced voice actors willing to flip SAG the bird in both CA and TX.

Thanks for explaining why voiceover artists use multiple names... one per union?  Are there really ten different unions?

I just want the voices to be good.  Some people who may be good on screen are just awful behind a mic.  This does not necessarily imply SAG involvement, but if a job consists of a skill that a large percentage of the population can pull off, you end up with a union to resist market forces.

Axl Rose was awful in San Andreas.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

The best part of SWG was the easy account cancellation process.

Reply #21 on: June 27, 2005, 03:11:12 PM

if a job consists of a skill that a large percentage of the population can pull off, you end up with a union to resist market forces.

I believe that this statement explains the existance of the vast majority of unions.  You might argue that the SAG is an exception, as acting isn't a skill that a large percentage of the population can pull off... but I'd argue that it's not a skill that a large percentage of SAG members can pull off, either.

Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: June 27, 2005, 05:30:24 PM

Fuck voice actors. Those greedy assholes are part of the reason production costs on games are so high now. They got a raise from $139 an hour to $189 an hour and they are still bitching? Guess what, if you don't like it, don't sign the "work for hire" contract.

For anything longer than say two sentences I can read it faster than they can and the voice just gets in the way.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #23 on: June 27, 2005, 05:51:09 PM

Those greedy assholes are part of the reason production costs on games are so high now.

Hmm..

Umm..

What?!?!

The average recording session isn't even going to take up half a work day. Lol, what are you talking about? That kind of pay isn't shit compared to how much money is being made on most games.

Anywho, an agreement has been met (much of it on these very details, in fact). Thread over (I hope).
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: June 27, 2005, 09:02:41 PM

No, SAG rejected the June 8th agreement they reached which is what the original post quoted ("contract will come up for reconsideration at a special board meeting next Wednesday"). And I'd just point to the EQ2 voice recordings (150+ hours or whatever?) but that's probably an exception to the average. The SAG sticking point is still that they want residuals for 400k+ units.
schild
Administrator

Reply #25 on: June 27, 2005, 09:05:01 PM

This is exactly the reason guilds/unions won't work in the gaming industry. I hope everyone likes this shining example of douchebaggery.
Pococurante
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: June 28, 2005, 07:27:01 AM

if a job consists of a skill that a large percentage of the population can pull off, you end up with a union to resist market forces.

I believe that this statement explains the existance of the vast majority of unions.  You might argue that the SAG is an exception, as acting isn't a skill that a large percentage of the population can pull off... but I'd argue that it's not a skill that a large percentage of SAG members can pull off, either.

Wait... you're saying acting is a skill requiring more mastery than fabrication, distribution logistics, construction, or all the other sectors unions are most known for?

You're cracked.  Trust me, the average commercial air conditioning guy has mastered far more crap than any freaking actor.

There are a lot of people on this board who rail against The Man but don't seem to have any love for the little guy either.  Collective bargaining is no more foolish than representational deomocracy - in fact both are just forms of the other.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #27 on: June 28, 2005, 09:29:29 AM

I personally rail against the unions because they quickly, VERY quickly become the big guys, negotiating with the bigger guys, all supposedly on behalf of the Little GuyTM, while really doing nothing but trying to consolidate their own power base. When you start talking about entertainment industries, like sports or games or movies, every one in the equation very quickly forgets about the fuckers who are actually supporting the industry, i.e. THE FANS, all in a slapfight orgy of grabassines to see who can one-up the other one.

See the NHL collective bargaining agreement for details.

The Unions are not always the good guys. And most times, there ARE no good guys, such as in the aforementioned hockey lockout. And as I said earlier, the real bad guys in the negotiation above aren't the voice actors, they are the publishers who are making killings off of these games (HI, EA!) while squeezing the developers for every rotten tenth of a penny they can.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #28 on: June 28, 2005, 12:38:58 PM

The original intent of unions was to prevent abuse of labor by management.  That worked pretty well.  We don't see too much of that these days, and unions spend their time trying to get all the benefits they can for the workers.  I don't have a problem with this, but I don't care for greed.  The leverage a union holds is designed to be used against equally-powerful management.  It is, I would say, overkill against an industry of mostly business incompetents like video-games.  EA is an exception to that; they know what they are doing and unionizing is probably the only cure for their antics.

I am not necessarily pro- or anti-union in an absolute sense.  Unions are tools and can be misused like anything else.

As for work that anyone can do, it is true to a degree.  Anyone can be a carpenter or an actor, there is no special barrier to entry.  If you are an average person you can make the union minimum in these fields.  Note that I am not saying an untrained person can be a carpenter or actor, I'm just saying that there are a whole lot of people who are pretty sure they can pull off swinging a hammer or being a jackass in front of other people.  You end up with a lot more people willing to do the job than there are jobs, and unions counter the market forces that drive down price due to lack of demand.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #29 on: June 28, 2005, 01:16:23 PM

Thanks for explaining why voiceover artists use multiple names... one per union?  Are there really ten different unions?

I just want the voices to be good.  Some people who may be good on screen are just awful behind a mic.  This does not necessarily imply SAG involvement, but if a job consists of a skill that a large percentage of the population can pull off, you end up with a union to resist market forces.

Axl Rose was awful in San Andreas.

I didn't think Axl was all that bad, but my opinion (and most people's) was likely jaded by the fact that we knew it was Axl. On the other hand, to reinforce my earlier point of not wanting name actors doing voices -  I have no idea who did the voice of Sage on Radio X, but I thought she was dead on perfect for the game.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

The best part of SWG was the easy account cancellation process.

Reply #30 on: June 28, 2005, 01:33:49 PM

Wait... you're saying acting is a skill requiring more mastery than fabrication, distribution logistics, construction, or all the other sectors unions are most known for?

You're cracked.  Trust me, the average commercial air conditioning guy has mastered far more crap than any freaking actor.

Good acting does require some skill, and to a certain extent, requires lots of 'okay' side skills, as to act in an action movie, you may need to learn a martial art, or to 'stunt drive', or any number of other skills you need to be seen on camera performing with some competancy.  Acting is a skill that can be learned, all you really need is the desire to learn and practice.

The same is true of the AC repair guy, or tool and die work, truck drivers, construction workers, etc.  Anyone who puts their mind to it can learn those jobs.

Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #31 on: June 28, 2005, 01:36:23 PM

I thought the KDST DJ was horrible before I knew it was Axl.  Sage, she was good.  George Clinton was better than Axl, who sounded like he was reading the script for the first time through the whole game.  Needed more Laslow.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #32 on: July 01, 2005, 02:52:10 PM

Needed more Laslow.

And more Fernando.  WHERE IS FERNANDO?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Roac
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: July 04, 2005, 05:37:30 PM

For anyone still interested, there was an editorial on gamespot that hit on this issue.

-Roac
King of Ravens

"Young people who pretend to be wise to the ways of the world are mostly just cynics. Cynicism masquerades as wisdom, but it is the farthest thing from it. Because cynics don't learn anything. Because cynicism is a self-imposed blindness, a rejection of the world because we are afraid it will hurt us or disappoint us." -SC
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: July 05, 2005, 11:50:22 PM

Vampires Jack, the radio chick, the guy doin the tv...shit the whole crew. Excellent voice work in my opinion. The only one I really hated listening to was the plagued nosferatu in the sewer, but thankfully you got to shut him up quickly.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Game Design/Development  |  Topic: Are celebrity voice-overs important?  
Jump to: