Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:56:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Archived: We distort. We decide.  |  Topic: MMOG News 4/26/04: Massively Misogynistic Online Game? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: MMOG News 4/26/04: Massively Misogynistic Online Game?  (Read 10606 times)
cevik
I'm Special

I've always wondered about the All Black People Eat Watermelons

on: April 26, 2004, 08:03:13 AM

The above space is available for purchase.  Send a Private Message for a complete price list and payment information.  Thank you for your business.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1 on: April 26, 2004, 09:18:33 AM

I'm glad I didn't read that interview.

While I'm all for "realism" and adherence to history in a historically-based MMOG, making women characters into nothing more than breeders and ho's would seem to me the height of stupidity. Of course, having seen the screenshot of the "injun," I'd say the game is probably on the same wavelength of art direction as the Asshead (TM) game.

EDIT: Ok, so I had to go read the interview. Ugggggh...

“For the dueling shooting mode, which is critical to “twitch” responses, we’ve developed a system that is unaffected by network latency,” responded Anastasia. “In a nutshell, each client interface collects the real-time input from its player then sends it to the servers which compares it to the other client and sends the results back to the interfaces. The process is very fast and effectively allows a 56K player to compete on the same level as a cable player. This method wouldn’t work well for a lengthy death match, but for a shootout it is ideal.”

WE HAVE NEGATIVE PING CODE FOR NO LAG KEKE LA! ^__^

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #2 on: April 26, 2004, 10:37:22 AM

While I'm all for "realism" and adherence to history in a historically-based MMOG, making women characters into nothing more than breeders and ho's would seem to me the height of stupidity.

I doubt it'd be fun even if they got it right, and didn't push the realism too much. I'd prefer something like Deadlands.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #3 on: April 26, 2004, 10:56:45 AM

Dawn? GL-Jeff? Did you get a sex change? Is that REALLY you?!

I can't wait till they tell me I can mine vertically and not horizontally. HERE WE GO AGAIN! ZING!

Don't you worry cevik, I think you might be 1 - 4 with this one. I can't see this seeing the light of day and from what I hear about the website (I'm afraid to load it) it's a horrible piece of monkey fecal matter.
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: April 26, 2004, 11:11:14 AM

I doubt they'll have realistic sex, but will they have realistic pregnancies?  I.E. 9 months with the avatar model changing?

Will the game have permadeath?

If yes to the first but no to the second question above, does the unborn baby die if the woman gets killed (and, we presume, rezzed)?

How will they handle rape?

Who gets to pick the name of the new character created, the account owner, or the parents?

How will they handle opening day?  People logging in on opening day cannot be born "of player parents", as there are no players on the server prior to them logging in.  Or, do they plan to have the beta players "fulfill that function"? ("Ok, beta testers, more breeding please, looks like we'll have over 100k playerbase at opening.")

Will there be breast-feeding?

Account sales on ebay:  "Wild West male baby for sale, $200, pick your own name."

Is a background check required in order to receive the "authentic six-shooter" gift from the game?

Will it be loaded?  Are authentic bullets available for purchase or as a gift?  How about silver bullets?
Roac
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: April 26, 2004, 11:22:11 AM

Features
WildWestSim has loads of exciting and ground-breaking features not found in any other multiplayer RPG game.

REAL PRIZES: Valuable western memorabilia given to players (like John Wayne's autographed hat, limited edition six-shooters, etc.)

Um, bullshit.  Total, utter bullshit.  Why did you even bother giving coverage to Dawn2?  And who is our new Dawnish admin?

Domain Name: WILDWESTSIM.COM
  Administrative Contact:
   Shaffer  Trisha trisha@mytica.com

For laughs, check out THAT site.

-Roac
King of Ravens

"Young people who pretend to be wise to the ways of the world are mostly just cynics. Cynicism masquerades as wisdom, but it is the farthest thing from it. Because cynics don't learn anything. Because cynicism is a self-imposed blindness, a rejection of the world because we are afraid it will hurt us or disappoint us." -SC
schild
Administrator

Reply #6 on: April 26, 2004, 11:23:31 AM

Mytica.com? Costa Rican women's swimwear? Yea, I'm calling Shennanigans on the whole thing.
cevik
I'm Special

Reply #7 on: April 26, 2004, 11:25:31 AM

Quote from: Roac
Um, bullshit.  Total, utter bullshit.  Why did you even bother giving coverage to Dawn2?  And who is our new Dawnish admin?

Hey, I don't make the news I just show you how stupid it can be...

The above space is available for purchase.  Send a Private Message for a complete price list and payment information.  Thank you for your business.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #8 on: April 26, 2004, 11:35:16 AM

Quote from: schild
Mytica.com? Costa Rican women's swimwear? Yea, I'm calling Shennanigans on the whole thing.

That's Costa Rican DATING SERVICE, or more like, mail-order Costa Rican brides.

I smell SCAM!

Joe
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: April 26, 2004, 05:10:01 PM

Quote from: HaemishM

I smell SCAM!

Come now, how do you think they were planning on getting the first generation of children in the game?
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #10 on: April 27, 2004, 07:57:35 AM

I don't think I want the first words I hear in an MMOG to be...

"Hey Poppy! Let me play with your churrito!"

WayAbvPar

Reply #11 on: April 27, 2004, 09:01:24 AM

I have been waiting for the spiritual sequel to Custer's Revenge... FINALLY!

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
cevik
I'm Special

Reply #12 on: April 27, 2004, 09:02:54 AM

I don't think I want the first words I hear in an MMOG to be...

"Hey Poppy! Let me play with your churrito!"

You and I have such different taste in games..

Wait.. was I thinking out loud again?

Anonymous

Email
Reply #13 on: April 27, 2004, 09:39:29 AM

Without fetapults, this game will be nothing.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #14 on: April 27, 2004, 09:54:28 AM

Want to be a game tester?
  Enter your email below and we'll notify you when it's time
  to play.  We won't use your info for anything else, honest.

This is thie popup when you leave the wildwestsim.com site.  The beta testing app consists of a page that also says enter your e-mail here, we won't pass it along, honest!

"Honest Injun" I bet considering the tarty chiefette wahoo on the popup page.

My vote's down for e-mail harvesting scheme.  Enter the addresses of your least favorite individuals and listen to them curse.  I'm signing my boss up right now!

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
cevik
I'm Special

Reply #15 on: April 27, 2004, 10:00:43 AM

Quote from: Merusk
This is thie popup when you leave the wildwestsim.com site.  The beta testing app consists of a page that also says enter your e-mail here, we won't pass it along, honest!

"Honest Injun" I bet considering the tarty chiefette wahoo on the popup page.

My vote's down for e-mail harvesting scheme.  Enter the addresses of your least favorite individuals and listen to them curse.  I'm signing my boss up right now!

I meant to mention this in the article, but because I love you guys so much I actually entered my email address so that, in the very very off chance that this is actually real, I can update you when the beta signups start.. I figured I'd "take one for the team" or whatever..

Anonymous

Email
Reply #16 on: April 27, 2004, 11:02:18 AM

Might I recommend you update your virus scanner definitions immediately?
cevik
I'm Special

Reply #17 on: April 27, 2004, 11:13:01 AM

Dear user of f13.net,

Your e-mail account has been temporary disabled because of unauthorized access.

Further details can be obtained from attached file.

Best wishes,

The f13.net team                           http://www.f13.net

Attachment:  Attach.pif

Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: April 27, 2004, 11:29:03 AM

That is too funny.  That really happen or are you trying to prognosticate?
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: April 27, 2004, 12:04:45 PM

There is a company at steak. The only way to save it is the fetuspult.

In fact, the whole thing seems so deliberately to refer to Dawn that I think it's almost a knowing homage from email harvesters.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #20 on: April 28, 2004, 01:25:06 AM

Quote from: schild

I smell SCAM!

Now that I think about it though, who better to market mail-order brides to than the shut-in hard-core MMORPG players with the disposable income?  If loose Costa Rican women can prevent just one person from sinking 70 hours a week into EQ or Lineage 2 than I could almost forgive these people for Wild West Dawn now with 25% more fetus.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #21 on: April 28, 2004, 08:05:14 AM

Can you farm the Costa Rican women, or is there a quest for that?

Roac
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: April 28, 2004, 08:18:13 AM

Can you farm the Costa Rican women, or is there a quest for that?

They say they don't like a farming system - too boring.  There's some sort of quest involved, dealing with going to meet these nice African investors, working out politics with the locals, and returning with enough money for the women.  It's supposed to tie into the lore of westard expansion - your territory grows proportionate to how many women (and their quality) you bring back.

*cough*
Ok, I'm stopping :P

-Roac
King of Ravens

"Young people who pretend to be wise to the ways of the world are mostly just cynics. Cynicism masquerades as wisdom, but it is the farthest thing from it. Because cynics don't learn anything. Because cynicism is a self-imposed blindness, a rejection of the world because we are afraid it will hurt us or disappoint us." -SC
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #23 on: April 29, 2004, 02:46:35 PM

Out of curiousity, I decided to go directly to the source in this situation and sent an e-mail to the good people at wildwestsim.com:

----- Original Message -----
To: help@wildwestsim.com
Sent: Thursday, April 29, 2004 2:54 AM
Subject: One quick question

How would you respond to cynics who think that this game is vaporware of Dawn-sized proportions and that this website's only purpose is to farm e-mail addresses for Costa Rican "dating" service Mytica.com which apparently is connected to the Administrative Contact of this site, Shaffer Trisha trisha@mytica.com ?

And here is the response I got:

Hmmm, that's pretty far fetched, but funny.
There are much easier ways to harvest emails then to setup a completely fake gaming
site, conduct interviews, and then pay for advertising.

Mrs. Shaffer used to be a partner in MyTica.com, but has since sold her interest in it
to pursue other businesses (such as WWS).  It seems the domain info was never updated.

Go ahead and test your theory.  Enter in your email, and I guarantee you will NEVER get
a spam for MyTica.  Your email is only used for WWS game announcements and updates.

-Anastasia Odiakova
Beta Liason
WildWestSim.com
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: April 30, 2004, 06:35:35 AM

"That blender looks awfully painful.  I imagine it would hurt if I put an appendage in it."

"Wow, that is a pretty far fetched theory!  I can't imagine that ever happening.  You could test your theory by sticking your dick in the blender and seeing if it gets painfully chopped into tiny pieces."
Roac
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: April 30, 2004, 07:41:14 AM

And here is the response I got:

And you expected... what?  "Oh yeah, our project is a joke".

No idea why they're doing what they're doing.  If they're not legit, I can't imagine why go through the hassle of getting a site up, interviewing, etc (paying for domain registration). I don't know that anyone here seriously suggested that they're doing this to farm emails.  She's right, that does sound far fetched.

If they're serious about this - that is they're putting a couple mil down to make a project, have people working full time, etc - it's still a joke.  One of their tech people got pulled from a company who used to sell wives?  Come on.  They're talking about developing two clients - one 3D and one isometric.  They're talking about giving away real firearms as game prizes.  They claim beta is just a couple months away, but have not posted a single screenshot.  They've put maybe a couple hours effort into the website.  There's every reason to think they're full of it, and not much reason to think they're serious.

-Roac
King of Ravens

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #26 on: April 30, 2004, 11:06:53 AM

Quote from: Roac
And you expected... what?  "Oh yeah, our project is a joke".

I didn't expect any response, or an automated one at best.  Mostly I just figured I'd have a little bit of fun with them.

No idea why they're doing what they're doing. If they're not legit, I can't imagine why go through the hassle of getting a site up, interviewing, etc (paying for domain registration).

http://www.glitchless.com/dawn.html
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: April 30, 2004, 12:27:14 PM

Best I can tell is scamming investors and living off them for awhile.  I has worked for the infinium labs guy for YEARS.  Follow his track record.  All the guy has ever done was get investor money and totally fuck up projects, leave, and call them a success by quoting business figures from before he arrived on scene.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Archived: We distort. We decide.  |  Topic: MMOG News 4/26/04: Massively Misogynistic Online Game?  
Jump to: