Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:16:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Euro CMs explain the honor system 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Euro CMs explain the honor system  (Read 2144 times)
Threash
Terracotta Army

on: June 17, 2005, 12:02:42 PM

http://forums-en.wow-europe.com/thread.aspx?FN=wow-pvp-en&T=73304&P=1

There's more blue posts in that thread that there have been in the american boards since launch.  Of course its understandable given the shitstorm that would occur on the american boards if a CM ever said something like "i would never expect casual players to achieve the highest ranks".  You want the truth?! YOU CANT HANDLE THE TRUTH!

I am the .00000001428%
chinslim
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: June 18, 2005, 10:01:17 AM

A problem with this honor system is it's turned PvP into a CP grind.  OK, other PVP systems in other MMO's are point grinds as well.

THE REAL PROBLEM is that grinders/farmers like having certainty in calculating their efforts and predicted outcomes.  You consciously or unconsciously estimated how fast you were leveling and predicted when you'll hit 60.  When you went out farming for a certain material or item, you estimated from the drop rate% on Thottbot how long it'll take.  You don't know until every Tuesday whether or not your week was productive(going up in rank).  The system is starting to feel like a crapshoot for many players.  If you PvPed for 14+ hours daily(and there are catasses doing this) and were already near the top, you may actually lose a rank because some other catass put in 15+ hours daily.  If you started from the bottom(you just hit 60, school's out, etc)  and all of a sudden became #1 on your server for the week, you will go from Corporal to...Senior Sargeant.  Instead of the 15+ hours you put in daily, you could have had the same end result playing only 1 hour.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: June 18, 2005, 10:49:53 AM

A problem with this honor system is it's turned PvP into a CP grind.  OK, other PVP systems in other MMO's are point grinds as well.

THE REAL PROBLEM is that grinders/farmers like having certainty in calculating their efforts and predicted outcomes.  You consciously or unconsciously estimated how fast you were leveling and predicted when you'll hit 60.  When you went out farming for a certain material or item, you estimated from the drop rate% on Thottbot how long it'll take.  You don't know until every Tuesday whether or not your week was productive(going up in rank).  The system is starting to feel like a crapshoot for many players.  If you PvPed for 14+ hours daily(and there are catasses doing this) and were already near the top, you may actually lose a rank because some other catass put in 15+ hours daily.  If you started from the bottom(you just hit 60, school's out, etc)  and all of a sudden became #1 on your server for the week, you will go from Corporal to...Senior Sargeant.  Instead of the 15+ hours you put in daily, you could have had the same end result playing only 1 hour.

Actually i thought that was the whole point of it.  You can't farm honor points because a) you don't know how many you need, b) you would need to farm forever to keep your rank, c) you might not even go up.  Those people who treated cps like a grind and catassed the whole week and didnt gain a rank very likely stopped trying.  Once people realize they really cant have a rank higher than their means they will stop treating it like a grind.  Or they will just keep making thread after thread on the general forums complaining about it.  Either way eventually people will settle into the ranks they where meant to have wether they like it or not, even the hardcore farmers have to give up at some point when they realize the grind doesn't end when they reach the top rank.

I am the .00000001428%
chinslim
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: June 18, 2005, 11:06:30 AM

Or you can just stop bothering with PvP and the BG queue lines.  My server's slowly becoming a ghost town now.  I was PvPing alot more before the honor system came out, and the new grind made it less fun.  I can't quite put my finger on it...it's not like there's a dominant guild or gank group owning me.  Maybe it's because the Honor System/BG's have no affect on the rest of the world.  Maybe I like my cost certainty.  Now I've stopped playing and only do scheduled MC raids.  At least I get to keep the items permanently when the crapshoot goes my way. 

Actually i thought that was the whole point of it.  You can't farm honor points because a) you don't know how many you need, b) you would need to farm forever to keep your rank, c) you might not even go up.  Those people who treated cps like a grind and catassed the whole week and didnt gain a rank very likely stopped trying.  Once people realize they really cant have a rank higher than their means they will stop treating it like a grind.  Or they will just keep making thread after thread on the general forums complaining about it.  Either way eventually people will settle into the ranks they where meant to have wether they like it or not, even the hardcore farmers have to give up at some point when they realize the grind doesn't end when they reach the top rank.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Euro CMs explain the honor system  
Jump to: