Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 06:16:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Beginning of Something Good (Batman thread) 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beginning of Something Good (Batman thread)  (Read 59031 times)
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #175 on: June 30, 2005, 05:48:25 AM

Oh i'm so there.

- meg

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #176 on: June 30, 2005, 05:51:44 AM

Of course we know I was technically joking, but right after I posted I remembered the horror that was 'A Knights Tale' and realised that maybe, just maybe....

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #177 on: June 30, 2005, 06:27:14 AM

Yeah.  The film sticks rigidly to the novel, except for the fact that Freddy defeats the martians at the end by replying to 'Ulla' with a rousing chorus of 'We Are The Champions.'

I've heard it's going to be really moving.

Hey, I'd watch it.

Better than psycho boy.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #178 on: June 30, 2005, 08:09:04 AM

Went and saw Batman last night.

Enjoyed it. Plus they had the preview for Serenity.

jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #179 on: July 01, 2005, 07:39:15 AM

Is it fair to say that this Batman is our post 911 "hero"  It seems to reflect the times.  But Batmans origins - shared with his enemies in this film - really has a lot in common with tactics used by terrorists in the sense of using fear and becoming symbolic in the mind of their opponents.

Am I reaching?  Anyone esle see this?  What we really see is a variation of a terrorist group.  But in this film it is depicted as effective, since Batman harnesses their tactics for justice rather than evil / revenge.  Is this tacit admission culturally by us of the effectiveness of such organizations against us?

"I think my brain just shoved its head up its own ass in retaliation.
"  HaemishM.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #180 on: July 01, 2005, 08:41:07 AM

Is it fair to say that this Batman is our post 911 "hero"  It seems to reflect the times.

I disagree.  The movie partially reflects the times but I don't see Batman as being reflective of how society wants to deal with the issue of terrorism.  Vigilante justice and using terroism to fight terrorism doesn't seem to be the prevailing attitude, at least among people I know.

Most of the time when this discussion has come up in my circle the prevailing attitude has been that large scale organized and long term effort is the only real solution.  Not just militarily but, you know, showing people that terror tactics don't really work to achieve long term cultural goals and are mostly a tool used by a few very charismatic and influential people to push thier own personal agendas and further increase thier own power and influence.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #181 on: July 04, 2005, 03:44:54 AM

What the hell are you pair talking about ?

Can't it JUST be Batman ?  Please ?

ClydeJr
Terracotta Army

Reply #182 on: July 05, 2005, 09:08:33 AM

Finally saw Batman this weekend. Its definitely Dark Knight Robot Jesus. Only thing I didn't like was Batman's "scary," growly voice. I understand that he wanted a voice to go along with costume but it sounded a bit silly. Scarecrow freaked me out a lot more than I thought he would. Mmm maggots...
jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #183 on: July 05, 2005, 09:11:23 AM

I liked the voice.  It worked for me.  If he used his regular voice - that would have been odd.

I am not a car affectionado but the tank in the film did impress me.  Are these things real?  Thought I heard somewhere that several were actually built.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2005, 09:13:01 AM by jpark »

"  HaemishM.
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #184 on: July 05, 2005, 11:22:52 AM

They were real and apparently undercranking was not needed: they do go that fast.  I can't remember what company had built them, but I do remember reading that their gas consumption is, to put it lightly, "excessive".

The Batman voice did amuse me at first, but I don't mind it since a part of Batman's method is theatricality, I assume because it makes the criminal think this guy in a costume is skin-suit Buffalo Bill-style insane.
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #185 on: July 05, 2005, 12:15:48 PM

Kevin Conroy always does it when he's doing the voice over for Bruce Wayne/Batman.

His Bruce Wayne voice actually sounds outgoing and friendly.  The Batman voice, not so much.  Though I always liked that whenever he's just talking with people who know he's Batman, but he's not wearing the costume or anything, he uses the Batman voice.

THAT'S HIS REAL VOICE, BRUCE WAYNE IS THE DISGUISE OMG!

I love the animated series.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #186 on: July 05, 2005, 12:17:32 PM

The Batman voice did amuse me at first, but I don't mind it since a part of Batman's method is theatricality, I assume because it makes the criminal think this guy in a costume is skin-suit Buffalo Bill-style insane.

Also, in looking at Bale's interview comments on the costume he wanted to avoid "Wayne in a bat suite" and depict the act as transformational:  when he dawns the outfit - he becomes a different person.  I buy that angle too.  So independent of its practical elements, for the character, it is a transformation he experiences.

It's a bizarre extrapolation but when I wear a business suite it makes my refrain from politically inappropriate comments and profanity quite easy.  But in street clothes that stuff comes out naturally.  So by analogy, I can imagine wearing battle armor could easily engender personality changes if the person opens themselves up to it.

It's also about training too.  If you put on sports gear (karate gee, hockey padding etc.) it brings back memories of how your body should react - and you get urges to move a certain way that normally would not be the case in street clothes.  Because in that particular sports gear - you trained hard in it to react a certain way.  A lot of elements in the battle armor Wayne wears incorporated elements of armor from the Monastary where he trained - that no doubt aided changes in his behavior as well when he wore the suite.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2005, 12:19:11 PM by jpark »

"  HaemishM.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #187 on: July 06, 2005, 01:48:02 AM

It's a bizarre extrapolation but when I wear a business suite it makes my refrain from politically inappropriate comments and profanity quite easy.  But in street clothes that stuff comes out naturally.  So by analogy, I can imagine wearing battle armor could easily engender personality changes if the person opens themselves up to it.

Sorry Mate, we need proof.  I want you to go into your place of business in battle armor.  Find us the info we need.

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #188 on: July 06, 2005, 05:59:31 AM

I always felt like a bad-ass wearing a flak jacket, helmet, rifle and knife and grenades and all the other crap.  Interestingly, when talking to civillians while I was kitted out like that I was always very polite.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #189 on: July 07, 2005, 12:03:03 AM

I always felt like a bad-ass wearing a flak jacket, helmet, rifle and knife and grenades and all the other crap.  Interestingly, when talking to civillians while I was kitted out like that I was always very polite.
Talk softly and carry a big...gun.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #190 on: July 07, 2005, 02:33:11 AM

I am not a car affectionado but the tank in the film did impress me.  Are these things real?  Thought I heard somewhere that several were actually built.
I can assure you that they are real.  They had one on display at the downtown megamall here n Toronto as a Promotional thing, and my Brother and his wife got pics of it. 

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #191 on: July 07, 2005, 10:54:09 AM

I can assure you that they are real.  They had one on display at the downtown megamall here n Toronto as a Promotional thing, and my Brother and his wife got pics of it. 

Aye saw the picture in the paper.  By real I mean - was this actually something the military built?  Or was it built for the film?

Hmm... I seem to recall a report a guy was startled by the car and rammed it with his own car?

"  HaemishM.
Jayce
Terracotta Army

Diluted Fool

Reply #192 on: July 13, 2005, 12:33:10 PM

Also, in looking at Bale's interview comments on the costume he wanted to avoid "Wayne in a bat suite" and depict the act as transformational:  when he dawns the outfit - he becomes a different person.  I buy that angle too.  So independent of its practical elements, for the character, it is a transformation he experiences.

I'd be rather nervous of anyone who would "dawn" a bat "suite".   evil

But seriously - saw the movie - really good.  At least as good or better than the first (recent) movie, but with 100% less Michael Keaton.

I thought Tim Burton was involved in some way, and a few of the scenes seemed to be freaky like his style.  Maybe just Nolan's way of giving Batman 1 a nod?

Witty banter not included.
Fargull
Contributor

Reply #193 on: July 13, 2005, 01:04:53 PM

Bat Mobile

Read an article in I think EW.  Got a free sub for BestBuying some stuff.

"I have come to believe that a great teacher is a great artist and that there are as few as there are any other great artists. Teaching might even be the greatest of the arts since the medium is the human mind and spirit." John Steinbeck
jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #194 on: July 13, 2005, 01:38:04 PM

Having seen the film several times now I am getting into nuances :)

His Age.  Her age.

I gather Bruce was 28 years old when he returned to Gotham (parents died when he was 8 years old, and Wayne Inc. had been without his Dad for 20 years).  He was gone on his Eastern journey 7 years.  That would make him 21 years before he left (* puts calculator away *).

At 21 years of age Wayne speaks with Katie holmes (character) who is involved with the trial of the killer of his parents.  If in the film Katie's character is close in age to Bruce - and they are both really around 21 years of age - seems Katie must be doing quite well for herself to have finished law school and have a high profile position with the DA involved with this case to begin with? (or did those perky breasts of her provide early leverage in her career path?)

This is all details of course - but on a purely technical note I would find Bruce's age in the early 30's at the start of Batman more believable.  That would make him older before he left for the East in the first place - Katie's character too - making her position at such a young age during the trial more realistic.  This of course, would make me feel better about the slow pace of my own career  :-D
« Last Edit: July 14, 2005, 09:26:39 AM by jpark »

"  HaemishM.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #195 on: July 14, 2005, 03:44:54 AM

Hmmm, yes, Interesting, Interesting.

No wait;  Who cares?

Edited to add a great big LOL to Tebonas.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2005, 03:57:15 AM by Ironwood »

Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #196 on: July 14, 2005, 03:52:22 AM

No need to whitewash it, the pacing of your career sucks. Get perkier breasts, jpark.
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #197 on: July 14, 2005, 08:53:20 AM

Don't you mean get scientology?
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #198 on: July 14, 2005, 08:55:22 AM

I'm sure Tom Cruise would think you have a pretty enough mouth, Jpark.  0.0 DPS

Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #199 on: July 14, 2005, 12:20:02 PM

Stolen from CNN:

Next up for Marvel is "Ghost Rider," in summer 2006, with Nicolas Cage as a possessed motorcycle rider hellbent on justice.

"For the hardcore group, 'Ghost Rider' is probably the most anticipated one," Arad says. "I think once the world gets to meet him, it will extend this community."

In various stages of development, Arad says, are movies for Thor (the hammer-welding Nordic hero), the Silver Surfer (who rides a flying surfboard), Captain America (the most patriotic hero, fashioned during WWII) and Namor the Sub-Mariner (one of the oldest superheroes -- think a more cranky Aquaman).

Also in the pipeline is Iron Man (who's protected by a suit of armor, to be directed by Nick Cassavetes), Doctor Strange (a sorcerer of the mystic arts), Nick Fury (a James Bond-like spy) and Black Panther (the first black comic book character, although he was beaten to the big screen by "Spawn").

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #200 on: July 14, 2005, 12:26:55 PM

I don't think any of those will work except the Surfer (if it's animated), and the Black Panther.

I'm not sure what could be worse though. Nick Fury or Doctor Strange? Even Namor has a better chance than those two (just because of the Atlantean setting).
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #201 on: July 14, 2005, 12:29:06 PM

I have high hopes for "Ghost Rider" and I would enjoy a movie "Doctor Strange" as long as they keep the awful dialogue from the comic.
Llava
Contributor

Reply #202 on: July 14, 2005, 12:55:12 PM

Nick Fury would have potential if they filmed it as a human government agent having to deal with superhuman threats to the world.

But it won't be that.

It will be The Punisher, part 2.  Might as well just put Tom Jane in an eyepatch and throw him in front of the camera.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #203 on: July 14, 2005, 12:58:21 PM

Nick Fury would have potential if they filmed it as a human government agent having to deal with superhuman threats to the world.

But it won't be that.

It will be The Punisher, part 2.  Might as well just put Tom Jane in an eyepatch and throw him in front of the camera.

Hmm....That could actually work then  :-D Tom Jane rocks.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #204 on: July 14, 2005, 01:12:45 PM

Llava
Contributor

Reply #205 on: July 14, 2005, 01:52:48 PM

Did you SEE The Punisher?

Gah.

He got the Punisher shirt from his kid on their island vacation, where a native said it would protect him from evil spirits?  IT'S A FUCKING T-SHIRT.

That said, it's not like it was Jane's fault that film sucked.  He did a decent enough job acting in really poorly conceived film.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #206 on: July 14, 2005, 01:58:18 PM

Did you SEE The Punisher?

Gah.

He got the Punisher shirt from his kid on their island vacation, where a native said it would protect him from evil spirits?  IT'S A FUCKING T-SHIRT.

That said, it's not like it was Jane's fault that film sucked.  He did a decent enough job acting in really poorly conceived film.

Yeah, I've got a ton of problems with the film itself. I just thought he was cool. If they make a sequel, he'd be the only thing worth salvaging (that, and the old school non-CGI stunts were a breath of fresh air).
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #207 on: July 14, 2005, 02:29:46 PM

I have high hopes for "Ghost Rider" and I would enjoy a movie "Doctor Strange" as long as they keep the awful dialogue from the comic.

By the hoary hosts of Hoggoth!

Fargull
Contributor

Reply #208 on: July 14, 2005, 02:49:19 PM

"I have come to believe that a great teacher is a great artist and that there are as few as there are any other great artists. Teaching might even be the greatest of the arts since the medium is the human mind and spirit." John Steinbeck
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #209 on: July 14, 2005, 03:13:24 PM

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Beginning of Something Good (Batman thread)  
Jump to: