Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 27, 2024, 05:56:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Beginning of Something Good (Batman thread) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beginning of Something Good (Batman thread)  (Read 56558 times)
schild
Administrator

Reply #105 on: June 22, 2005, 07:48:04 PM

Ok. I vote for Paul Bettany too.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #106 on: June 22, 2005, 07:48:24 PM

The more I think about it the more I like that Crispin Glover suggestion. He's weird and menacing at the same time which I think would be perfect for the joker.

The big problem with the joker is if the actor tries to ham it up. That won't work in these movies.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
MaceVanHoffen
Terracotta Army

Reply #107 on: June 22, 2005, 07:58:00 PM

I may be a dickhead, but at least I don't have a man-crush on Johnny Depp.

Any actor who can carry a movie based on a themepark ride can absolutely play the Joker.

Oh and, Batman Begins is the Best.  Superhero.  Movie.  Ever.

schild
Administrator

Reply #108 on: June 22, 2005, 07:59:25 PM

Oh and, Batman Begins is the Best.  Superhero.  Movie.  Ever.

Go back and watch TMNT again.  :-D Batman Begins is definately the second best though.
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #109 on: June 22, 2005, 09:53:40 PM

Crispin Glover would be a perfect joker, Johnny Depp would be a very close second. Nicholson was a shitty hamfisted Joker and he sucked. He has sucked in every role he has had. He must have swallowed a gallon of devil cum to have had such a long, successful career playing the exact same fucking character in everything he's been in except TOE. Fucking hack.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #110 on: June 23, 2005, 04:20:43 AM

Blasphemy!!

And when the fuck did Katie drive the Batmobile? I know she was in it, and Gordon drove it at one point, but...

And why should there be a sequel to a prequel? We already have the "sequel" in the form of the first Batman movie.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
schild
Administrator

Reply #111 on: June 23, 2005, 04:57:37 AM

Katie didn't drive the batmobile.
Pococurante
Terracotta Army

Reply #112 on: June 23, 2005, 05:14:17 AM

Maybe Mark Hammil. No, I'm not kidding.
inspired.  He has been very good in the animation series.

He's gotten incredible reviews for several decades now with his stage roles.  Apparently the Great White Way sees past the pop culture typecasting from twenty years ago.  Probably not as many Star Wars geeks go to the theatres.  Frankly it's Corvette Summer that marked him in my brain for life - youthful indiscretions FTW.  I thought he was cast well in Big Red One but then he was across from Lee Marvin which helped in no small way.  Which reminds me, I need to pick up the two disc extended version of BRO.

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #113 on: June 23, 2005, 06:31:19 AM

"Big Red One" has got to be one of the best nicknames for a military unit ever...

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #114 on: June 23, 2005, 07:57:39 AM

Maybe Mark Hammil. No, I'm not kidding.
inspired.  He has been very good in the animation series.

He's gotten incredible reviews for several decades now with his stage roles.  Apparently the Great White Way sees past the pop culture typecasting from twenty years ago.  Probably not as many Star Wars geeks go to the theatres.  Frankly it's Corvette Summer that marked him in my brain for life - youthful indiscretions FTW.  I thought he was cast well in Big Red One but then he was across from Lee Marvin which helped in no small way.  Which reminds me, I need to pick up the two disc extended version of BRO.

I actually have a Hammil movie in my dvd collection (non Lucas) that he was pretty good in, playing a villain. Its a low budget sci-fi flick called Slipstream. I actually recomend it to people who can see past low budget and enjoy an interesting sci-fi story.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #115 on: June 23, 2005, 08:23:09 AM

Crispin Glover could do a very good Joker, I agree. Hell, Depp could do a fantastic Joker, but I'd see him in the role as stuntcasting. It would definitely have to be someone who could BURY the Nicholson performance. And I loved the Nicholson performance, I thought it helped a great deal in making that movie. BUT... it kind of pigeonholed the villains in the sequels into being whacked out. I mean, Tommy Lee Jones as Two-Face was really nothing more than Nicholoson's Joker, as was Carrey's Riddler. I still liked that one, though I'm not really sure why.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #116 on: June 23, 2005, 08:50:28 AM

Glover or Liotta it is then. The only guys (well known, at least) who could play that part realistically, not ham it up, and be good enough to make people forget about Jack. Either that, or Nick Nolte on crack. I'd pay to see that too.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #117 on: June 23, 2005, 08:58:38 AM

Gary Busey?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
schild
Administrator

Reply #118 on: June 23, 2005, 09:06:54 AM

Gary Busey?

No, he shouldn't be let out of his house, let alone onto a movie set. Same goes for Nick Nolte.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #119 on: June 23, 2005, 09:24:55 AM

You know who looks like the Joker though? Adrien Brody.

I just haven't seen enough of him to think he could play the part.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #120 on: June 23, 2005, 09:27:14 AM

How about in the sequel he fights Gary Busey?  I don't mean Gary Busey portraying the Joker, I just mean Batman versus a drunken cocaine-addled Gary Busey.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #121 on: June 23, 2005, 09:30:55 AM

You mean there's another kind of Gary Busey?
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #122 on: June 23, 2005, 09:46:33 AM

Yes, these days he's drunk with the Holy Spirit.
AOFanboi
Terracotta Army

Reply #123 on: June 23, 2005, 10:01:58 AM

Go back and watch TMNT again.
Much like the Matrix, my enjoyment of the first TMNT (which stuck very close to the Eastman and Laird comics) was ruined by the sequel, especially the Vanilla Ice scenes. Never got around to watch that time-travelling third one. Oh, and that TMHT travesty also ruined it.

Current: Mario Kart DS, Nintendogs
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #124 on: June 23, 2005, 10:07:25 AM

"I'm With Busey" on Comedy Central a couple years back was hilarious. I wouldn't mind seeing some re-runs of that.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #125 on: June 23, 2005, 10:23:08 AM

Glover or Liotta it is then. The only guys (well known, at least) who could play that part realistically, not ham it up, and be good enough to make people forget about Jack. Either that, or Nick Nolte on crack. I'd pay to see that too.

For some reason, when I saw this I kept thinking Danny Glover instead of Crispin Glover...
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #126 on: June 23, 2005, 12:13:58 PM

Danny Glover's too old for this shit.

WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #127 on: June 23, 2005, 12:21:14 PM

The third TMNT movie?  Let me tell you all you need to know:  In ancient Japan, someone grabs the magical time-travel doohickey and starts it up.  Cut to the modern world, where the doohickey there activates in response.  One of the turtles exclaims "Someone must be trying to use it in the past!"

Even at the time, my brain almost fried at the stupidity.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #128 on: June 23, 2005, 01:07:58 PM

AICN has a poll up about who should be the next Joker. Interestingly when I voted Crispin Glover was winning, here were the choices:

Mark Hamill
 Lachy Hulme
 Crispin Glover
 Robin Williams
 Adam Sandler
David Cronenberg
Adrien Brody
Andrew Koenig
Tim Roth
Jack Nicholson

See the list I think in addition to Glover that Tim Roth and David Cronenberg would be interesting. Cronenberg would bring a creepiness to it that would be interesting. i'm thinking of his psychologist from Nightbreed when I say this.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #129 on: June 23, 2005, 01:15:12 PM

Adam Sandler? ADAM SANDLER?!

I quit.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #130 on: June 23, 2005, 01:18:52 PM

Robin Williams
Adam Sandler

Someone needs to die.

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #131 on: June 23, 2005, 02:10:53 PM

Jack Nicholson:

Batman vs. the Joker's geriatric Grandpa!

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #132 on: June 23, 2005, 02:34:35 PM

Quote from: The Fat Man
Crispin Glover   5787   28.6%   

Mark Hamill   4703   23.3%   

Adrien Brody   3234   16.0%   

Tim Roth   2894   14.3%   

Jack Nicholson   1765   8.7%   

Robin Williams   858   4.2%   

Lachy Hulme   303   1.5%   

Adam Sandler   244   1.2%   

David Cronenberg   232   1.1%   

Andrew Koenig   193   1.0%
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #133 on: June 23, 2005, 02:37:18 PM

All I know is that I want to see "mass murdering psycho" stressed more than the "wacky clown" aspect. That, at the very least, means no comedians. Judging by Scarecrow though, I'm sure Nolan will do whatever's right.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2005, 02:43:40 PM by Stray »
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #134 on: June 23, 2005, 02:45:31 PM

All I know is that I want to see "mass murdering psycho" stressed more than the "wacky clown" aspect. That, at the very least, means no comedians. Judging by Scarecrow though, I'm sure Nolan will do whatever's right.

See, I can Crispin Glover or Cronenberg either one could do that, which is why I like the thought of them doing the Joker. Cronenberg would be an old Joker, but it would be kind of neat.

Also, I am hoping since he was in Arkham, and using the playing card, that if we see his origin it'll be a flashback scene. I'd rather just see a movie about Batman foiling him. Not the origin of the villian.

Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #135 on: June 24, 2005, 04:56:41 AM

Sandler....

ugh.

Okay, people THIS is the guy we're talking about:

Not this:

I know the difference is a subtle one, but I think it's one that would be important in a full length film.  Maybe that's just my opinion.

Christ.

I can't believe some people even voted for him.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
WayAbvPar

Reply #136 on: June 24, 2005, 10:12:11 AM

How about in the sequel he fights Gary Busey?  I don't mean Gary Busey portraying the Joker, I just mean Batman versus a drunken cocaine-addled Gary Busey.

I am still giggling. Kudos.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #137 on: June 24, 2005, 01:23:47 PM

Just read on AICN that Sean Penn is  being courted for the Joker. If nothing else it gives us an idea of what kind of performance they are going for, assuming they are thinking of intense Penn and not Fast Times Penn

jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #138 on: June 24, 2005, 01:26:22 PM

Just read on AICN that Sean Penn is  being courted for the Joker. If nothing else it gives us an idea of what kind of performance they are going for, assuming they are thinking of intense Penn and not Fast Times Penn

I could see that.  Penn is in his mature performances - Mystic River etc. - could add to the dark intensity established in the film. Rock Out

"I think my brain just shoved its head up its own ass in retaliation.
"  HaemishM.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #139 on: June 24, 2005, 01:30:59 PM

Penn can do anything.

edit: For some reason though, I don't like the idea. Same with Depp.

I doubt either one of them would even take the part though...
« Last Edit: June 24, 2005, 01:53:46 PM by Stray »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Beginning of Something Good (Batman thread)  
Jump to: