Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 08:26:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Beginning of Something Good (Batman thread) 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beginning of Something Good (Batman thread)  (Read 59037 times)
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #70 on: June 20, 2005, 04:18:54 PM

Just got back from seeing it.

Totally worth the sleep I am losing/already lost.

BTW, I must have missed the nipple shot Haemish picked up. Are you sure it wasn't another herpe?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: June 20, 2005, 05:14:51 PM

Just got back from seeing it.

Totally worth the sleep I am losing/already lost.

BTW, I must have missed the nipple shot Haemish picked up. Are you sure it wasn't another herpe?

A scene near the end,  she's outside talking with Bruce.  And choose to wear no bra that day, i guess.  I'm not sure if she meant to sabotage her lines of dialogue like that, or what....
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: June 21, 2005, 09:17:38 AM

You obviously didn't miss that much sleep if you missed that scene.  You'd have to actually be sleeping to ignore those pointy, pointy, sore looking nips.  It seriously looked like she'd taken a pencil sharpening to them.  NOT sexy.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Pococurante
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: June 21, 2005, 09:56:51 AM

Maybe I am getting old but I found Katie just too young looking to take seriously in the role she was depicted in.  I just kept seeing her as a kid.

Yeah but that's true for all summer blockbuster movies.  But of course the world is run by 22 year olds and anyone over 40 is a stubborn old coot!  ;-)

"Hey, old guys..."
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #74 on: June 21, 2005, 10:17:56 AM

You obviously didn't miss that much sleep if you missed that scene.  You'd have to actually be sleeping to ignore those pointy, pointy, sore looking nips.  It seriously looked like she'd taken a pencil sharpening to them.  NOT sexy.

I worried that she would give Bruce Wayne a raging case of mouth herpes.
jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: June 21, 2005, 11:44:02 AM

Maybe I am getting old but I found Katie just too young looking to take seriously in the role she was depicted in.  I just kept seeing her as a kid.

Yeah but that's true for all summer blockbuster movies.  But of course the world is run by 22 year olds and anyone over 40 is a stubborn old coot!  ;-)

"Hey, old guys..."

I quite liked Kim Bassinger in the Burton film.  Older, more believable but quite attractive :)  And less judgemental ! (must avoid derail)

"I think my brain just shoved its head up its own ass in retaliation.
"  HaemishM.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #76 on: June 22, 2005, 07:49:22 AM

You obviously didn't miss that much sleep if you missed that scene. You'd have to actually be sleeping to ignore those pointy, pointy, sore looking nips. It seriously looked like she'd taken a pencil sharpening to them. NOT sexy.

Either I was actually paying attention to the dialouge, or ignoring her...she is Katie Holmes, after all.

Was it the scene where she talks to Bruce at his demolished house?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #77 on: June 22, 2005, 07:50:17 AM

Was it the scene where she talks to Bruce at his demolished house?

That's the one.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #78 on: June 22, 2005, 09:16:49 AM

Article in my morning paper stating that Holmes will not be invited back to do a sequal. Basically, it suggests that the studio wasn't happy with the Tom shit overshadowing thier movie. Also, it has a comment along the lines of the next love interest will be played by a "stronger actress". I don't have the exact quote (the paper never stays long on my desk in this office), but I thought it was pretty funny. Especially considering that I though her performance was one of the low points.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #79 on: June 22, 2005, 09:39:32 AM

Article in my morning paper stating that Holmes will not be invited back to do a sequal. Basically, it suggests that the studio wasn't happy with the Tom shit overshadowing thier movie. Also, it has a comment along the lines of the next love interest will be played by a "stronger actress". I don't have the exact quote (the paper never stays long on my desk in this office), but I thought it was pretty funny. Especially considering that I though her performance was one of the low points.

Yay for us! I do hope they bring back all the other principles, other than Rutger Hauer and Liam Neeson. And that they put the Joker in it, except not played by someone who is an assclown. Maybe Mark Hammil. No, I'm not kidding.

jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: June 22, 2005, 09:50:17 AM

Other things that struck me:

Wayne's initial conversation with the boss Falcone in the restaraunt.  Falcone offered him advice by way of threats that really set the stage for the rest of Wayne's career.  I thought the script there was exceptional.

The crime fraternity.  Neat idea - I mean most of us wanting to know the criminal world would do some waste of time degree at a University (Criminology or some such) failing to realize that the academic environment is not the best place to learn about all topics.  Wayne's angle in the story line was to pursue experience as a criminal - not a degree - I thought that was cool.

Good to hear they are dumping the slumber party Queen.  I am sure she can find more appropriate roles.

And that they put the Joker in it, except not played by someone who is an assclown. Maybe Mark Hammil. No, I'm not kidding.

That will be a tough role to cast in keeping with the more serious angle of the first film.  Mark Hammil?  You baiting us Haemish or do you believe he can even act?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2005, 09:53:20 AM by jpark »

"  HaemishM.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #81 on: June 22, 2005, 09:51:46 AM

The crime fraternity.  Neat idea - I mean most of us wanting to know the criminal world would do some waste of time degree at a University (Criminology or some such) failing to realize that the academic environment is not the best place to learn about all topics.  Wayne's angle in the story line was to pursue experience as a criminal - not a degree - I thought that was cool.

I like how he never thought of himself a criminal because he was stealing his own stuff, that is, Wayne Enterprises merchandise.
jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: June 22, 2005, 09:54:14 AM

I like how he never thought of himself a criminal because he was stealing his own stuff, that is, Wayne Enterprises merchandise.

Good point.

But man what risk - being thrown in prison in what appeared to be a 3rd world country.  * shudder *

"  HaemishM.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #83 on: June 22, 2005, 10:11:16 AM

But man what risk - being thrown in prison in what appeared to be a 3rd world country.  * shudder *

I don't think he cared. The worse the better, probably.
jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: June 22, 2005, 11:19:11 AM

http://www.ananova.com/entertainment/story/sm_1436301.html

Not clear that Gary Oldman has signed on yet for the sequal - but all the other actors - Freeman/Bale/Caine have. 

Say what we will about Katie - bottom line is.... She got to drive the batmobile!

http://actionadventure.about.com/od/news/a/aa091804.htm

« Last Edit: June 22, 2005, 11:27:30 AM by jpark »

"  HaemishM.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #85 on: June 22, 2005, 11:43:53 AM

damn good flic.  Music was weak.  Didn't get a good feeling it was making tons 'o $ tho, which I hope it does.  Bring on the next 20.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #86 on: June 22, 2005, 11:45:22 AM

Yay for us! I do hope they bring back all the other principles, other than Rutger Hauer and Liam Neeson. And that they put the Joker in it, except not played by someone who is an assclown. Maybe Mark Hammil. No, I'm not kidding.

inspired.  He has been very good in the animation series.
Mortriden
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: June 22, 2005, 12:02:25 PM

He's good as a voice actor, but I think that everyone would be thinking "That's an ugly ass Luke Skywalker playing that part."

It's like calling shenanigans.  But you say "jihad" instead. - Llava
They are out there, but they are bi-products of funny families. If you know funny old people, see if they have daughters. -Paelos
Yes my seed is that strong. I literally clap my hands and women are with child. -Paelos
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: June 22, 2005, 12:13:33 PM

I think Ewan McGregor would be good at it.  I also read somewhere, maybe ign(shudder) where the writer was suggesting Paul Bettany, another actor that I think could possibly pull it off and fit Chris Nolan's theme of employing actors from Great Britain.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #89 on: June 22, 2005, 12:51:08 PM

He's good as a voice actor, but I think that everyone would be thinking "That's an ugly ass Luke Skywalker playing that part."

I wasn't baiting, I was VERY serious. Not only does he do the best Joker voice on the old Batman animated series, but he has some experience with a very similar live action role. Way back on the old Flash TV series, with John Wesley Shipp, he played a Flash villain called The Trickster, who had a similar madcap nature to the Joker, and he did remarkably well.

But it'll never happen. Much more in vogue to choose a hot actor at the time, and Mark hasn't been hot since 1980. MacGregor or Bettany could pull it off. But who I'd really want to see? Hugh Laurie.

WayAbvPar

Reply #90 on: June 22, 2005, 01:03:47 PM

Hugh Laurie would rule.

How about Ian McShane? He may be a bit old, but he can play the hell out of a villain. Not sure if he could go quite madcap insane though.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #91 on: June 22, 2005, 01:07:15 PM

I also read somewhere, maybe ign(shudder) where the writer was suggesting Paul Bettany, another actor that I think could possibly pull it off and fit Chris Nolan's theme of employing actors from Great Britain.

I love it. Cast it. Sign it. Film it.
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #92 on: June 22, 2005, 01:29:00 PM

I suggested Hammil on page 1.  But I spoiler-fied it so I guess most people skipped it.

I agree with Haemish.  Why couldn't the Joker be older?  Hell, he'll be covered in makeup anyways.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2005, 01:30:33 PM by Llava »

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Daydreamer
Contributor

Reply #93 on: June 22, 2005, 01:35:06 PM

If I remember my Batman lore correctly, wasn't the Joker a mobster/hitman of some repute before he had his accident?  My conception of him has always been of the mind of a 30-40ish professional crinimal married to the soul of a teenage prankster, in which case Hamil would fit well.  Or maybe I just want another Jack Nicholson.

Immaginative Immersion Games  ... These are your role playing games, adventure games, the same escapist pleasure that we get from films and page-turner novels and schizophrenia. - David Wong at PointlessWasteOfTime.com
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #94 on: June 22, 2005, 01:38:02 PM

No, in the comics, he was an aspiring stand up comic who was married, somewhat young (probably mid to late 20's). His wife got pregnant, and he couldn't make ends meet with comedy, so he got a job in a chemical factory. Some mob types wanted to rob the jewelry store next to the factory and hired him to provide the inside access through the factory. They made him dress as the Red Hood, which was a mask worn by different people in order to throw suspicion off the real crooks. The robbery was foiled by Batman, and the Joker fell into the chemical goop wearing the red mask. His wife died in childbirth right before the robbery, and when he got a look at his chemically-altered mug, he cracked.

Llava
Contributor

Reply #95 on: June 22, 2005, 01:45:00 PM

Well, right off we know that the origin isn't going to be the same, unless they're going to say that he foiled this chemical plant robbery off-camera some time during Begins.  And that would feel cheap, at least to me.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: June 22, 2005, 02:00:33 PM

I understand Batman sales have been pretty good so far.  Don't have any numbers handy.

"  HaemishM.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #97 on: June 22, 2005, 02:03:00 PM

Quote from: Box Office Mojo
Domestic Total as of Jun. 21, 2005: $84,928,817

Domestic:        $84,928,817      67.6%
+ Overseas:       $40,700,000       32.4%
= Worldwide:     $125,628,817    

Production Budget: $150 million
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #98 on: June 22, 2005, 02:40:56 PM

Well, right off we know that the origin isn't going to be the same, unless they're going to say that he foiled this chemical plant robbery off-camera some time during Begins.  And that would feel cheap, at least to me.

To my knowledge, Batman doesn't know that he caused the Red Hood to be the Joker in the comics, so it wouldn't break continuity for this to happen, especially not since you can tell the whole story in flashbacks anyway.

Llava
Contributor

Reply #99 on: June 22, 2005, 03:07:44 PM

It just seems silly to not have foreshadowed it if they were planning to do it, given that almost no one would've made the connection and they reveal that the Joker will be the next villain at the end anyhow.  They could've easily made one of the first crimes he stopped take place at a chemical factory and showed someone get knocked in on the sidelines.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #100 on: June 22, 2005, 05:52:44 PM

Crispin Glover for the Joker (here's hoping)....

Or, for a less weirdo take on it:

Ray Liotta (was originally going to be cast before Nicholson). He may be getting a little old though, but Something Wild-era Liotta would have kicked much ass in that role. Maybe he still has it.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: June 22, 2005, 07:06:00 PM

Crispin Glover for the Joker (here's hoping)....

Or, for a less weirdo take on it:

Ray Liotta (was originally going to be cast before Nicholson). He may be getting a little old though, but Something Wild-era Liotta would have kicked much ass in that role. Maybe he still has it.

Nice.  The Liotta from Narc could do it.  Just add some of that Henry Hill laugh.

I'd frankly be surprised if we saw a Joker over the age of 32, though. 
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #102 on: June 22, 2005, 07:27:38 PM

I think they should cast Hayden Christensen.

/ducks

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
schild
Administrator

Reply #103 on: June 22, 2005, 07:39:12 PM

Shockeye is a dickhead. Johnny Depp is the joker.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2005, 07:46:56 PM by schild »
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #104 on: June 22, 2005, 07:47:41 PM

I may be a dickhead, but at least I don't have a man-crush on Johnny Depp.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Beginning of Something Good (Batman thread)  
Jump to: