Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 05:03:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: PvP? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: PvP?  (Read 3063 times)
Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

on: June 13, 2005, 07:24:42 AM

I read somewhere that Sony was thinking of adding pvp to the game....which made me think wistfully back to my brief days on the racial war servers of EQ1.  That got me to thinking that IF Sony added pvp...IF they also added a GvE pvp server, and IF that server demonstrated any kind of population - I would buy this game. 

But a review of the EQ2 FAQ still indicates that there are no plans to add pvp at all.  Has anyone heard anything on this?

...any religion that rejects coffee worships a false god.
-Numtini
jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: June 13, 2005, 07:33:13 AM

I've heard they are planning on adding it.  The forums appeared to have some discussion about it. 

People are concerned about the impact pvp will have on pve play set rules / class abilities. 

They should try it but let's face it - one strenght EQ never had was any remote balance among classes.  PVP in EQ was pretty predictable in many cases.  I can't see EQ2 pulling it off - but hey - what do they have lose  evil

This is a huge leap for them.  In December - if you visited the opposing city - the guards don't even kill you - they just dispatch you from the zone.  EQ had more confontation than that.

Given WoW's advances in this area I think this is a "by the seat of the pants" addition to the game - which will be delivered with SOE's commensurate polish.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2005, 07:34:45 AM by jpark »

"I think my brain just shoved its head up its own ass in retaliation.
"  HaemishM.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2 on: June 13, 2005, 09:46:41 AM

I thought they said it would be arena style PVP.

Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: June 13, 2005, 09:58:40 AM

Inevitably, arena combat sparks a great deal of interest for about 0.4 seconds.  Then no one touches it again.  Which sometimes leads devs who have invested time in pvp to come up with other implementations. 

But if EQ2 is doing as badly as it seems to be, then there might not be enough players to justify alternate ruleset servers. 

Oh, and I would also have to be able to find a copy of the game on a shelf for $15.00 or less.

-Numtini
jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: June 13, 2005, 01:06:17 PM

I thought they said it would be arena style PVP.

That would be strange if true.  That was already useless in EQ (although I did make use of it for guild events like dueling).  And of course CoH arenas have not gone very well.  However, Cryptic is perfect, and I refuse to see any flaw in that game  cool

"  HaemishM.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: June 13, 2005, 02:00:09 PM

From what I have heard from the previews coming about the new expansion pvp in eq2 I think will be some cross between coh type arena combat/ WoW battle grounds and pokemon. How or if it will work in game I am not sure about but frankly if it has queues of well over an hour like WoW does likely it will be looked at for the first month then ignored.

Queues are the suck and waiting in a queue for 2 hours to get into a game that closed in 5 minutes due to lack of horde players made me VERY VERY VERY stabby.

kaid
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #6 on: June 13, 2005, 07:04:04 PM

\
Oh, and I would also have to be able to find a copy of the game on a shelf for $15.00 or less.

The hard part here is finding the game on a shelf, not the $15.00.  Try Media Play or other places that keep stock out forever. Best Buy, EB games, etc around me have all pulled them for lack of sales. I don't recall seeing it at Target, either, but I wasn't looking for it so I may have just glanced past it.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: June 14, 2005, 04:01:04 AM

I saw one at EB - they wanted $29.99 for it tho.

-Numtini
UD_Delt
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: June 15, 2005, 07:06:56 AM

Arena style PvP is being added into the expansion. It is going to be part of the 3 city story line and will help change factions between the 3 cities. You will also have the ability to battle as a monster. Not using a pokemon style monster as a pet but actually controlling a monster as your character during the PvP battles w/ full abilities appropriate for that given monster. I believe as you rank up and gain faction you will be either leveling a given moster or gaining access to more powerful monsters to control.

Here's the write up from EQTraders via the recent fanfaire:

PVP is being introduced in an arena setting inside the city ... with a few interesting twists. Among other things, you can either fight as yourself, or as one of several monsters. If you win, you can earn reputation and fame with the city. There will, however, be penalties for the losers. (Y'know, that whole risk/reward sort of thing.) Since they want the city to be sort of newbie friendly, they're not planning on allowing the killing of guards and quest NPCs within the city.

With regards to fighting as a creature, you'll be able to expand your arsenal of available "arena champions" via collecting, arena winnings, and possibly also named kills. These creatures will also be able to be kept as room pets. Unlike other creature dueling systems, you play as the creature - it's not something where you play with a pet, or send in a critter to fight for you, but rather where you temporarily become the creature.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2005, 07:09:01 AM by UD_Delt »
jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: June 16, 2005, 11:31:14 AM

That does sound interesting.

But SOE has a habit of autoclaving any idea on paper to ensure that its execution bereft of any life.

"  HaemishM.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: PvP?  
Jump to: