Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 10:18:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: "Game Critics" fellate Sony. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Game Critics" fellate Sony.  (Read 9590 times)
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

on: June 08, 2005, 03:01:44 PM

Best Hardware/Peripheral
PlayStation 3
(Sony Computer Entertainment / Nvidia / IBM / Toshiba)
At an E3 in which hardware was the big story, the Sony PlayStation 3, hands down, delivered the most impressive performance. OK, the system won’t be available for many months to come -- spring 2006  -- and the system was not playable at the show. But Sony did show impressive live technology demonstrations of the CELL chip and Nvidia RSX graphics processor to show why PS3 will be be the most powerful next-generation video game system. If it even approaches the realism and depth shown in Electronic Art’s demonstration of Fight Night Round 3, the cinematic grandeur of SCEE’s Killzone and the artistic humanity of Sony Studios’ virtual Alfred Molina (Dr. Octopus in Spider-Man 2), the PS3 promises to be a true next-generation revelation for gamers.

-- Mike Snider, USA Today

Guess what, Mr. Mike asswad? You didn't see shit. The PS3 stuff was all pre-rendered. Shit like this makes me sick.

You can read all the useless bullshit here.
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: June 08, 2005, 03:02:19 PM

Muaahahahaha. *Gobble Gobble*

I don't spit. I swallow.

Morons.
Rodent
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: June 08, 2005, 03:04:14 PM

Guess what, Mr. Mike asswad? You didn't see shit. The PS3 stuff was all pre-rendered. Shit like this makes me sick.

You can read all the useless bullshit here.

But the PS2 could render Toystory graphics in real time! ( "Sony real time" not to be confused to actual real time ). Imagine what the PS3 will do!

I have a sinking feeling I will end up with 3 consoles this time around aswell.

Wiiiiii!
schild
Administrator

Reply #3 on: June 08, 2005, 03:05:35 PM

I've resigned to owning every console ever made. Including the phantom. Which, if it ever sees the light of day, I'll get just for the keyboard and mouse. I've said that, what, 10 times now?
Rodent
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: June 08, 2005, 03:09:06 PM

Then we can safely assume that the Phantom is not in any way related to Hastur or Candyman, because it still hasn't really revealed itself.

If the Phantom is ever released I'll buy one, if only to remind myself that sometimes even hell freezes over.

Wiiiiii!
schild
Administrator

Reply #5 on: June 08, 2005, 03:11:52 PM

Despite popular belief, hell has not thawed out since the existance of 2 Zelda games on a 3DO console.
WayAbvPar

Reply #6 on: June 08, 2005, 03:25:51 PM

I've resigned to owning every console ever made. Including the phantom. Which, if it ever sees the light of day, will just be a keyboard and mouse. I've said that, what, 10 times now?

Fixed that to reflect the most likely outcome.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Astorax
Contributor

Reply #7 on: June 08, 2005, 03:48:47 PM

Funny, I was at a round-table discussion with the VP of marketing for Sony's console division yesterday, and the topic of said demonstrations at E3 came up.

His quote:
"The tech demos were in fact all rendered real-time from the Cell processors...as for the game presentations...well...It WAS rendered real time and captured...then we took the frames and made a movie out of it." 

So basically, they got 10fps on the game, captured it, then tweened a bunch to get the full 30fps for the movie.  So while technically it was really rendered real time, there was some serious editing foo going on to get it smooth...he says that by release they'll have full speed real-time rendering working just fine...I'll believe it when I see it.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #8 on: June 08, 2005, 03:59:10 PM

Funny, I was at a round-table discussion with the VP of marketing for Sony's console division yesterday, and the topic of said demonstrations at E3 came up.

His quote:
"The tech demos were in fact all rendered real-time from the Cell processors...as for the game presentations...well...It WAS rendered real time and captured...then we took the frames and made a movie out of it." 

So basically, they got 10fps on the game, captured it, then tweened a bunch to get the full 30fps for the movie.  So while technically it was really rendered real time, there was some serious editing foo going on to get it smooth...he says that by release they'll have full speed real-time rendering working just fine...I'll believe it when I see it.

Sony's lies make baby jesus cry.
WayAbvPar

Reply #9 on: June 08, 2005, 04:06:18 PM

I hope you had a cross and wooden stake on standby in case more of his ilk joined the meeting unexpectedly.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #10 on: June 08, 2005, 04:14:01 PM

The FF VII intro "movie" was not pre-rendered. Epic also showed a demo of the Unreal 3 engine running live on the Cell as well.
Astorax
Contributor

Reply #11 on: June 08, 2005, 04:15:38 PM

I hope you had a cross and wooden stake on standby in case more of his ilk joined the meeting unexpectedly.

I just created a moat around myself...they don't like to cross running water don't ya know...I didn't want to kill them off entirely as also at said meeting were the heads of marketing for both ATI and NVIDIA and I was tempted to reach across the table and slap the hell out of the ATI rep for making their drivers suck my left testicle for being so ass-tastic for the past decade (since their Rage drivers basically) and then in the same breath turn around and pull the shirt of the NVIDIA rep up over his head and kick his ass hockey-style for not dropping their graphics card prices despite the card being out for over  year now...but alas, that guy had only been working for NVIDIA for 4 days...I thought that might be unfair.  But if the blood-suckers at Sony were to go rampant and slay all those around me, I wouldn't have cried...

Although the guy from Dolby was cool, and had lots of fun toys to show off, like the new 5.1 headphones...image if you will, a pair of headphones, that sounds exactly like you're sitting in the middle of a room with really awesome 5.1 Digital speakers set up around you...it was damn impressive...and then there's the guy that was showing off positional sound tech, which was neat.  Basically, it's kinda like having a conference call in your office, but you can position people's voices in absolute space..so through a gui tool, you can say, okay, this person is virtually, sitting three feet off to my left, and THIS person is sitting off to my right...and everyone's in their office with a standard mic, but when person 1 talks, it now sounds through my headphones,speakers,etc that the voice is coming from my left, and when person 2 talks, it's coming from my right...apparently the military already use this in full force, and he's pitching to the MMO market to see if we can get realtime voice positionally in an MMO.  It's all server-side though, which means that server performance becomes a rather major issue.  He swears it doesn't have a large memory footprint, but we'll see...
Astorax
Contributor

Reply #12 on: June 08, 2005, 04:17:01 PM

The FF VII intro "movie" was not pre-rendered. Epic also showed a demo of the Unreal 3 engine running live on the Cell as well.

o.O unless you happen to have more information about this than the head of Sony's marketing department, then I think perhaps you're mistaken.  The FF VII intro movie, while it was not pre-rendered...exactly...was in fact, rendered in real time at 10fps (all that the console could handle at the time) and then post-edited up to a full 30fps...while that's not technically pre-rendering, it's also technically not real-time rendering, but somewhere inbetween...
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #13 on: June 08, 2005, 04:22:23 PM

o.O unless you happen to have more information about this than the head of Sony's marketing department, then I think perhaps you're mistaken.  The FF VII intro movie, while it was not pre-rendered...exactly...was in fact, rendered in real time at 10fps (all that the console could handle at the time) and then post-edited up to a full 30fps...while that's not technically pre-rendering, it's also technically not real-time rendering, but somewhere inbetween...
The FF VII intro movie and the Unreal 3 demo fall under the category of "tech demo" in his above description. They were running live in real-time on the Cell processor.

Edit: As for the Killzone 2 movie there was no way that was rendered at even 10 fps. There are just way too many fricking polygons in that movie to do it at that speed (watch it again and check out all the curved surfaces -- not a single triangle/polygon in sight). If they were getting close to 10 fps they could've just showed it running at real-time and said it was unoptimized code and people would've been blown away.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2005, 04:26:28 PM by Trippy »
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #14 on: June 08, 2005, 04:22:52 PM

That will now be known as Pre-Real-Time Rendering. Or as I prefer to call it, smoke and mirror bullshit.
Astorax
Contributor

Reply #15 on: June 08, 2005, 04:25:09 PM

The FF VII intro movie and the Unreal 3 demo fall under the category of "tech demo" in his above description. They were running live in real-time on the Cell processor.

Oh, der, right sorry, FF VII...should have noticed that... :)
Astorax
Contributor

Reply #16 on: June 08, 2005, 04:29:20 PM

That will now be known as Pre-Real-Time Rendering. Or as I prefer to call it, smoke and mirror bullshit.

I was always fond of the "Monkey flung poo" descriptor to things like this...it's interesting until you get hit by the poo...
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: June 08, 2005, 05:57:56 PM

Edit: As for the Killzone 2 movie there was no way that was rendered at even 10 fps. There are just way too many fricking polygons in that movie to do it at that speed (watch it again and check out all the curved surfaces -- not a single triangle/polygon in sight). If they were getting close to 10 fps they could've just showed it running at real-time and said it was unoptimized code and people would've been blown away.

I have heard through the industry grapevine that the Killzone movie was 100% prerendered.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
schild
Administrator

Reply #18 on: June 08, 2005, 08:12:20 PM

Correct.
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #19 on: June 08, 2005, 09:27:36 PM

And deceptively pre-rendered, at that.  As in, consciously made to look like gameplay.  Jackholes.

THIS IS THE MOST I HAVE EVERY WANTED TO GET IN TO A BETA
Daydreamer
Contributor

Reply #20 on: June 09, 2005, 02:10:12 AM

And deceptively pre-rendered, at that.  As in, consciously made to look like gameplay.  Jackholes.

Which, last time I checked was the very definition of Sony-brand marketing.

Just to hit on one other recent scam by them, remember the multi-media promise of the PSP from last E3?  They tried to outdo Nokia by promising music, movies, internet, this that and the other thing.  And how the product itself is totally locked down except for 1) media Sony specifically allows for it or 2) has been cracked for?

Love sony hardware, both gaming and the rest of their electronics.  Love their first and second party titles for their polish and charm, if not their originality.  Love what they have done for the industry since they took the reins from the Big N.  But I hate their marketing and PR with a deep seething hatred that the Big N's worst days of censorship and ham-handedness could never match.  Their marketing is sleek, often brilliant, usually intriguing, and indicitive of everything that is wrong with the console gaming industry.

/rant

Immaginative Immersion Games  ... These are your role playing games, adventure games, the same escapist pleasure that we get from films and page-turner novels and schizophrenia. - David Wong at PointlessWasteOfTime.com
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #21 on: June 09, 2005, 03:10:23 AM

Consoles haven't been worth shit since the NES.  Maybe the SNES, to be generous.  And all I can say about the PS1 is that it did Diablo better than the PC.  Beyond that, who cares?

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Pococurante
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: June 09, 2005, 04:47:24 AM

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #23 on: June 09, 2005, 06:22:20 AM

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #24 on: June 09, 2005, 11:32:59 AM

And you guys wonder why I think the game industry is a cluster fuck of grabassing gladhands and pigfucking idiots too incestuous to be allowed to live? Shit.

That Killzone stuff looked great. And hey, it may actually have been rendered on Cell technology. But if it wasn't being displayed running from a working PS3, IT WAS BULLSHIT.

Jain Zar
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: June 09, 2005, 03:07:03 PM

Fuck the consoles.  Commodore 64.  Those things were a gift from GOD, and the Amigas were the silicon Jesus.  But we betrayed them for the goddamn NES.  Which is why I am using shit ass Windows PCs instead of the Amiga 1 Million or something.

Fuckers.

Oh yeah.  I probably won't buy all 3 of the new systems.  At the moment I am dubious I will buy ANY of them.  And Sony talked a lot of pie in the sky shit about the PS2 when the thing is only slightly better than the Dreamcast.  Supercomputer my ass..
WayAbvPar

Reply #26 on: June 10, 2005, 10:53:55 AM

Commodore 64.  Those things were a gift from GOD, and the Amigas were the silicon Jesus.

Amen, brotha! Preach on!

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #27 on: June 10, 2005, 02:24:40 PM

Lord, you people are going to be telling your grandkids about the good-ole-days of gaming.

I remember back when consoles had controllers, dammit! Not this mind input shit. YOU HAD TO USE YOUR HANDS! AND WE LOVED IT.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #28 on: June 10, 2005, 02:29:26 PM

I look forward to the days of being a crotchety old man on the porch.

WayAbvPar

Reply #29 on: June 10, 2005, 02:37:43 PM

I look forward to the days of being a crotchety old man on the porch.

Ditto. I am going to pretend I am deaf just to annoy people.

WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #30 on: June 10, 2005, 06:04:58 PM

Fuck the consoles.  Commodore 64.  Those things were a gift from GOD, and the Amigas were the silicon Jesus.  But we betrayed them for the goddamn NES.  Which is why I am using shit ass Windows PCs instead of the Amiga 1 Million or something.

Fuckers.

10 PRINT "YES! ROCK ON!";
20 GOTO 10

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: "Game Critics" fellate Sony.  
Jump to: