Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:36:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: What sort of server would YOU want? (from the CoH boards) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What sort of server would YOU want? (from the CoH boards)  (Read 6425 times)
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

on: April 23, 2004, 09:22:36 PM

Someone posed this question on the CoH forums and I thought it was interesting.  I chose server 3.  I hate it, though, when people pose a question, ask your opinion and then don't give you theirs.  People do that here sometimes... annoys the hell out of me.

"While I was fixing dinner, I posed the following question to my wife, who is also planning on switching to CoH with me.

If you had to pick from the following three server types, which would you pick?

1) A server where xp gain is Exactly the way it exists now, no changes (Control)

2) a Server that Doubles the mission rewards for the first mission you do in a 24 hour period, but then halves the gain for the next, and quarters the gain for the third and beyond (thus theoritically catering to the player than can only play an hour a day, yet keeping the 'power gamers' away)

3) a Server that has double Mission bonuses, but half creature rewards (thus doing missions would equal out to the control server, but simple wandering around killing random spawns would be less rewarding) And also offers huge rewards for completeing long story arc type missions that could take 5-10 hours each to complete (sort of like Task Forces) thus catering to the people that want to see all of the games content.

I know which one we picked, What about you guys?"

The most fascinating bit of this was that HE was cooking dinner.  Righ? Comment?

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #1 on: April 23, 2004, 10:13:10 PM

He's obviously one of those nancy boys.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
SirBruce
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: April 23, 2004, 10:58:13 PM

I would pick number 3, but probably not for the reasons you may think.  I don't consider myself a powergamer per se... I just enjoy doing missions, and think they deserve better rewards than random killing.  And that's the way the game already works, just not as much as you have given here.

I *want* to pick number 2, as I'm totally in favor of a "power hour" that rewards the casual player.  However, I felt the drop-off you proposed was too drastic.  I would much rather, say, the first 2 missions you did had double rewards, and the rest normal, or something like that.  But given the way you formulated it, I could not pick choice 2.

Bruce
schild
Administrator

Reply #3 on: April 23, 2004, 11:04:28 PM

This is the kind of question I expect to be posted here.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #4 on: April 23, 2004, 11:13:09 PM

Server 1 is probably the best for the game and players, overall.  I chose 3 because, being selfish, I like grouping and reckon this would be the best for my sort of playstyle.

As for you, schild... why?  I thought the question rather interesting.  I think you just enjoy mocking me, actually.  I'm not offended, however, and I can mock back just as easily.  Later, though.  When I think of something to mock at you about.

God, I'm sleepy.

schild
Administrator

Reply #5 on: April 23, 2004, 11:19:58 PM

Why?

I'll tell you. It's a question with absolutely no base in reality. This question pertains more to the changes in WoW than any change that will EVER happen in CoH. It takes itself out of context and provides nothing but mental masturbation for people who like to dick around with the hypothetical. The only server worth picking is one, change is bad when something is good (well, at least as good as CoH is - implementing shit like that would RUIN the game).

Other than that? This is obviously a question put forth by someone who is having withdrawal from being off of CoH for 36 hours. Oh the trauma. That said, less than 36 hours til Catass2Justice.

Signe, despite that post, I'll still group with you come noon sunday. :)
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #6 on: April 23, 2004, 11:37:45 PM

I didn't intend for it to be based in reality.  Most of our discussions aren't based in reality as none of these lamo devs every implement even our most wonderful suggestions.  It was just a 'supposn'...

Of course you'll group with me!  If you didn't, I'd follow you around saying, "Can I touch you? Am I bothering you? Can I touch you? Am I bothering you?", over and over, endlessly.  Who wants to live with that sort of annoying crap?

schild
Administrator

Reply #7 on: April 23, 2004, 11:39:40 PM

Quote from: Signe
Of course you'll group with me!  If you didn't, I'd follow you around saying, "Can I touch you? Am I bothering you? Can I touch you? Am I bothering you?", over and over, endlessly.  Who wants to live with that sort of annoying crap?

Bruce?
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #8 on: April 23, 2004, 11:43:17 PM

Now you've gone too far.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #9 on: April 23, 2004, 11:45:34 PM

I'll take server number four, where anytime I complete a mission and have fun doing it, a random person at EA or SOE looses a finger.
schild
Administrator

Reply #10 on: April 24, 2004, 12:00:23 AM

Quote from: Velorath
I'll take server number four, where anytime I complete a mission and have fun doing it, a random person at EA or SOE looses a finger.

I guess as long as we're being hypothetical, that counts. And I say to you, good show.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #11 on: April 24, 2004, 12:28:50 AM

I rather like it the way it is (server 1).

If you want to maximize your experience (I'm a dirty min-max person, having a hard time coming up w/ a good template because of this)you can. Just doing missions, and aiding all the citizens on the way from mission to mission or while you are waiting for your group nets you the best you can get.  It's also fun from both worlds.

Oh, and this is classic:
Quote from: schild
change is bad when something is good

Thank you for the sig.
schild
Administrator

Reply #12 on: April 24, 2004, 12:43:04 AM

Quote from: MrHat
Oh, and this is classic:
Quote from: schild
change is bad when something is good

Thank you for the sig.

Ya know, right when I wrote that I knew someone would take it out of context and make it a jab towards the shut down of wto and switchover to f13. I just didn't think it would happen oh so fast.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #13 on: April 24, 2004, 01:17:23 AM

Actually, I was talking about that time w/ the vodka and the goat.

You should've stopped at the sheep man.  Goats bite, sheep just bleet.

Edit: I was talking about wto.  My attempt at humor was tempered by the fact that Denzel Washington can make tiny little bombs that fit inside your anus.  That's a superpower if there ever was one.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: April 24, 2004, 02:11:27 AM

If I wanted to tweak anything at all, I'd *slightly* increase mission reward at the expense of villan kills.

But nothing is borken enough to start doubling and halving anything.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #15 on: April 24, 2004, 10:42:59 AM

Swedish Chef is borken.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: April 24, 2004, 10:49:43 AM

Doubling the amount of Swedish chef is acceptable.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #17 on: April 24, 2004, 11:31:09 AM

Quote from: eldaec

If I wanted to tweak anything at all, I'd *slightly* increase mission reward at the expense of villan kills.

But nothing is borken enough to start doubling and halving anything.

totally agree. How about, slightly increasing mission EXP, and leaving MOB exp right where it is?

thats my pick.
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

The Anne Coulter of MMO punditry

Reply #18 on: April 24, 2004, 11:38:23 AM

I'll take server #4, consider it Server #3 taken to extremes:

* Zero mob experience, defeating mobs in missions instead adds their experience to the mission reward.   All experience comes from completing missions.   Mission rewards would be multiplied somewhat so the overall rate of level gain is about the same it currently is (maybe a little faster).

* Dropped enhancements only drop from bosses and leuitenants.  (Minion enhancements already drop at -2 level and are usually just used for selling anyway.)

* All influence comes from defeating mobs with big bonuses for rescuing people in trouble.

* Wider variety and availabity of missions granted.

Why?  Just because it's a radical difference from the currently established order in MMORPGs.    Also, this grants the development team considerable freedom to create more of a point to mob placement than just filling the sewers to the brim with random bric-a-brac baddies.  

That said, I figure the existing system works fine too, this is just for a matter of argument.

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: April 24, 2004, 09:03:57 PM

This is all abstract anyway, but I agree it's a good question to ask.
Quote from: Geldonyetich
Just because it's a radical difference from the currently established order in MMORPGs

Yea, it's different, but you could basically shut down any part of the common persistent world. Just have your archetype trainer stand next to all Contacts and a series of doors behind them for your instances. The world is there not just for believability, but to allow people to play how they want when they want.

I'd got with Server #1. The balance is in already. I just want to get in without a damned plan sometimes. The thing that continually kicks me from some games is when it's not worth logging in unless I have X number of hours ahead of me to play. I'm tired of always waiting for a group to form, and then the six serial bio breaks. I don't want to always have to ignore the 10 minutes worth of level-appropriate content while I run to my mission a mile away. Sometimes I do want to just mindlessly blast the crap out of even- and higher-conning mobs. It's just fucking fun.

CoH is the first to come along in awhile that a) I can jump into without caring whether it's for 15 minutes or 5 hours; and, b) I found worth paying a monthly fee for anyway. That's predicated on it offering playstyles for both folks who want Deathmatch and those who want Assault.

I want both, on my time.

Having said that, I hope someone does take Player Recall. I'll hook up and do Missions with anyone in the middle of one when I do know I have the time :)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #20 on: April 24, 2004, 10:56:16 PM

Quote from: Velorath

Yes.

Except the first nubby motherfucker is Brad McQuaid.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #21 on: April 25, 2004, 06:52:49 AM

Do you mean their finger falls off?  Or just goes all wobbly?

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: April 25, 2004, 07:29:22 AM

My imagination says he means a couple of heavily tattooed and stocky Nipponese men in dark suits and black wrap around sunglases come into Brads office and then one of them puts McQuiad in a headlock while the other ties a neat little strip of white cloth around one of his remaining fingers.  Next, while Brad is screaming incoherently his hand is forcably placed onto a very clean little wooden chopping block and one of the nice japanese men pulls out a small tanto and in one swift move seperates the finger from the hand.  They let McQuaid go, collect up their gear and the now detatched finger, bow politely, and back out of the office.

But thats just my imagination...

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #23 on: April 26, 2004, 09:56:12 AM

Actually, I'd prefer it is the men in question were short, Korean motherfuckers who got PKed by Brad in Lineage, but the rest of your image remains pretty much the same.

Oh, and they kick him in the balls. Because that's always funny.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: What sort of server would YOU want? (from the CoH boards)  
Jump to: