Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 02:45:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Archived: We distort. We decide.  |  Topic: MMORPG News 4/23/04: The Great WoW Cloak Conspiracy 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: MMORPG News 4/23/04: The Great WoW Cloak Conspiracy  (Read 6916 times)
cevik
I'm Special

I've always wondered about the All Black People Eat Watermelons

on: April 23, 2004, 12:59:08 PM

Read the article here.

I'd ask you guys to be kind, but I like to think I'm smarter than that..

The above space is available for purchase.  Send a Private Message for a complete price list and payment information.  Thank you for your business.
WayAbvPar

Reply #1 on: April 23, 2004, 01:13:02 PM

Glad to see you as a semi-permanent staffer. Grats!

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: April 23, 2004, 01:18:16 PM

Good wrapup.  Damn those posters for stealing all your thunder thunder thunder...

"Can't I just say it once?  It is pretty repeti..."
"NO, You're fired!".

Sorry.  That word is kind of like Cartman and "Come Sail Away" for me.  Damn you Simpsons.
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: April 23, 2004, 02:02:51 PM

You didn't hyperlink "elf boobies" dangit!
cevik
I'm Special

I've always wondered about the All Black People Eat Watermelons

Reply #4 on: April 23, 2004, 02:13:52 PM

Quote from: ajax34i

I honestly didn't expect anyone to make it that far.

The above space is available for purchase.  Send a Private Message for a complete price list and payment information.  Thank you for your business.
schild
Administrator

Reply #5 on: April 23, 2004, 06:42:41 PM

Quote from: cevik
Quote from: ajax34i

I honestly didn't expect anyone to make it that far.

People here will read anything if City of Heroes is attached to it in any way. I'm still upset that there is somehow one degree of seperation between Lineage II and the rest of the NCSOft games (particularly Tabula Rasa, CoH, and Guild Wars).

Edited: Overcooked french fries are hard.
Fargull
Contributor

Reply #6 on: April 23, 2004, 07:44:39 PM

I keep waiting for the other foot to drop with COH.  Trying to find the train wreck is hard.

Good read cevik, though you should have thrown a few explicitives to keep the general skimmers happy.

"I have come to believe that a great teacher is a great artist and that there are as few as there are any other great artists. Teaching might even be the greatest of the arts since the medium is the human mind and spirit." John Steinbeck
Rof
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: April 23, 2004, 09:38:19 PM

Some of the new DAoC RvR stuff looks pretty nice. There's a good post with screenshots here. I particularly liked one of the new keep designs, shown here. The updated siege engine artwork is good too, and now you get to see siege shots in flight.

The other news in the DAoC world is that they're adding an account transfer service, costing $40 to transfer up to 4 characters from one account to another. Nice for those who wanted it, and I'm sure IGE will like the idea.

Formerly known as Ellenrof
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #8 on: April 23, 2004, 11:36:04 PM

Quote from: Rof
The other news in the DAoC world is that they're adding an account transfer service, costing $40 to transfer up to 4 characters from one account to another. Nice for those who wanted it, and I'm sure IGE will like the idea.

$40, plus you have to buy another copy of the game and any expansions that have been activated on the account the characters are being moved from.  New Frontiers seems pretty cool but Mythic would have to give out a couple free weeks of play when it comes out if they want to try to get me back.
Jain Zar
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: April 24, 2004, 12:44:35 AM

Nice post Cevik!

Im surprised there wasn't any mention of the latest "Let's patch slower than entire beta clients download" update in Everquest 1.5... er Final Fantasy 11..
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #10 on: April 24, 2004, 09:53:27 PM

So NCSoft is publishing Lineage 2, Tabula Rasa, Guild Wars AND CoH? I expect L2 will be big in Korea, and maybe a flash in the PVP pan here, CoH will be a sleeper hit, Tabula Rasa will probably be big and Guild Wars has the potential to be big as well.

NCSoft is really starting to throw down the gauntlet, as it were.

Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: April 26, 2004, 07:52:28 AM

Its worth noting that the XP degredation in WoW applies only to XP gained outside of questing (and PvP).  Since reports indicate that the vast majority of XP gained in WoW is done through quests, the impact of your Rest State would seem to be far less important than is being reported here and elsewhere.  

I still contend that people are completely missing the point of the Rest State system.  Its not about anti-catass, its about pushing players towards quests rather than simple camping.  As people have noted, the Rest State is character-specific and nothing stops a catass from simply switching characters.  And because it doesn't apply to quests the catass can easily chain quests together to get max XP.  Overall there are so many ways around the "Rest State as catass control" that it seems much more sensible to take Blizzard on their word:  

This frees up time for exploring other aspects of the game without penalty, such as tradeskilling and social activities, and helps players avoid level-grinding.

Rest State is only a problem if you stubbornly insist on the most boring possible playstyle for a single character in the face of far better alternatives.

...any religion that rejects coffee worships a false god.
-Numtini
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #12 on: April 26, 2004, 09:16:50 AM

Quote from: Mesozoic
Rest State is only a problem if you stubbornly insist on the most boring possible playstyle for a single character in the face of far better alternatives.

So essentially, most of the hardcore player base who insists on getting maximum XP per second, even at the cost of hygiene and fun.

Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: April 26, 2004, 09:47:30 AM

Quote from: HaemishM
Quote from: Mesozoic

So essentially, most of the hardcore player base who insists on getting maximum XP per second, even at the cost of hygiene and fun.

See my cross-post in the gaming forum.  The hardcore will adapt and simply quest their way to the top.

...any religion that rejects coffee worships a false god.
-Numtini
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Archived: We distort. We decide.  |  Topic: MMORPG News 4/23/04: The Great WoW Cloak Conspiracy  
Jump to: