Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:35:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Archived: We distort. We decide.  |  Topic: Review: Gish 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Review: Gish  (Read 9157 times)
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

on: May 21, 2005, 05:58:32 PM

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Stephen Zepp
Developers

InstantAction

Reply #1 on: May 22, 2005, 01:47:26 PM

Great review!

Something that not many people actually know about Gish:

It won the 2005 IGF Seamus McNally Award (Grand Prize), as well as the Innovative Game of the Year award also at IGF, and was selected as the 2005 Game Tunnel Game of the Year.

Rumors of War
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #2 on: May 23, 2005, 02:30:59 PM

Are the Smashing Pumpkins references intentional on their part?  "Gish" was the name of the first Smashing Pumpkins album and, if I recall correctly, there is also "Dross" in the game which is a song by the same group.  Of course, dross is actually a word so it could be coincidence.  Gish, however... isn't, really.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
voodoolily
Contributor

Finnuh, munnuh, muhfuh, I enjoy creating new written vernacular, s'all.

Reply #3 on: May 23, 2005, 02:36:07 PM

Dang, Llava beat me to the Smashing Pumpkins reference (their best album, imo).

Game looks fun. I love a good platform.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
The Legend of Zephyr - a different blog.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #4 on: May 23, 2005, 02:43:15 PM

It wouldn't surprise me.  Then again, "gish" could be onamatapoeic (like "squish" but faster and a bit less watery).  It really is an appropriate name for a lump of tar.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #5 on: May 23, 2005, 02:48:48 PM

It wouldn't surprise me.  Then again, "gish" could be onamatapoeic (like "squish" but faster and a bit less watery).  It really is an appropriate name for a lump of tar.

And the Best Use of the Word 'Onamatapoeic' Award goes to....

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #6 on: May 23, 2005, 03:04:04 PM

According to the search I just did, that was the first and only use of "onamatapoeic" on this forum.  So I think I'm also up for Worst Use.

Daydreamer
Contributor

Reply #7 on: May 23, 2005, 04:37:48 PM

Bonus points for Samwise! It should be "onomatopoeic" according to Dictionary.com

Immaginative Immersion Games  ... These are your role playing games, adventure games, the same escapist pleasure that we get from films and page-turner novels and schizophrenia. - David Wong at PointlessWasteOfTime.com
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #8 on: May 23, 2005, 04:46:52 PM

You know, it's funny - I Googled it to make sure my spelling was right, but so many people have misspelled it the same way that Google accepted it as the "correct" spelling.  Damn you, Internet!

Daydreamer
Contributor

Reply #9 on: May 26, 2005, 01:23:07 AM

I cannot be swayed with logic, force, cash, or seduction (okay well maybe the last one), but you found my kryptonite - large awkward mispelled words are my weakness. 

I just bought Gish, SPLORP.

Immaginative Immersion Games  ... These are your role playing games, adventure games, the same escapist pleasure that we get from films and page-turner novels and schizophrenia. - David Wong at PointlessWasteOfTime.com
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #10 on: May 26, 2005, 01:41:38 PM

If it helps get more money into the pockets of deserving indy devs (as opposed to the ones that put out hideously buggy crap), I'll try to maintain a consistent level of awkward mispellings in the future.   :-D

Daydreamer
Contributor

Reply #11 on: May 27, 2005, 12:52:35 AM

FUCK! I'm stuck on 5-3.  Enjoyed most of the rest of hte game up until here but I just HATE this level.  The slippery U pipes are a absolute pain, I either wait to long to go slippery or I go to early and die.  I've been at this for 2 hours now and I've made it to the second pipe only twice, both times with <20 health.  I haven't been this frustrated since the old TFC Conc maps.

Any timing tips?

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #12 on: May 27, 2005, 10:43:07 AM

Yeah, that one's evil.  Make sure that you're leaning into the wall the entire time; that'll stop you from taking damage because you'll follow the curve of the pipe instead of smashing into the bottom.  I think the keys I'm holding down when I do the first two are:

right + down + D + S (first half)
left + up + S (second half)

Switch at or just before the midsection of the pipe - the key thing is to be heavy on your way down, light on your way up, and slippery the whole time.

If you're halfway down and think you're going to screw up because you don't have contact with the wall, abort by holding down the spacebar (you take no damage from falling as long as you're holding down space and/or D because then your body won't compress as much).  Then crawl back up the wall and try again.

The third pipe is the same tactic, but it's about twice as long.  Leaning into the wall is even more important on that one.   wink

Daydreamer
Contributor

Reply #13 on: May 27, 2005, 10:13:05 PM

Dense PLUS slippery? Brilliant!

schild
Administrator

Reply #14 on: May 27, 2005, 10:15:31 PM

Alright. I'm installing my gamepad to play through this. I eat hype.
Daydreamer
Contributor

Reply #15 on: May 30, 2005, 12:02:06 AM

Its a crying shame that Gish doesn't support internet based multiplayer.  Its not deep, but they would be fun games to kill a few minutes with friends.

Alkiera
Terracotta Army

The best part of SWG was the easy account cancellation process.

Reply #16 on: May 31, 2005, 09:46:40 PM

I downloaded and ran the demo... is there, somewhere, a gamma slider I missed?  game where I manuever a black spheroid against a background of 3 indistinguishable shades of black is not really all that exciting, shockingly.

Alkiera

PS. Yes, I know, my monitor brightness IS all the way up.  It just sucks.  I turn the gamma up in pretty much every game I play.

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #17 on: May 31, 2005, 10:25:17 PM

I don't remember there being a gamma slider in the game options.  Does your video card have a control panel with gamma on it?  If so, that might be a better option than having to crank the gamma up on every game you play.  And if not, either get the latest drivers from the manufacturer's website, get a third-party monitor adjustment utility, or get a video card that isn't ten years old.   wink

Alkiera
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: June 02, 2005, 09:58:48 PM

I've got a Radeon 9600, it does have gamma controls in the properties, but I'm loathe to mess with them.  my desktop is plenty bright, sometimes too bright, its something about fullscreen DirectX/OpenGL.  Having to make the adjustments blind is an annoyance as well.

Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
schild
Administrator

Reply #19 on: June 02, 2005, 10:04:04 PM

I use Omega Drivers. I have to run most stuff in a window. Considering my desktop is mostly black with a hideous image in the middle, it's not a problem.
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: June 06, 2005, 04:23:43 PM

I also use the Omega drivers...  I've been tempted to clean them out and try to the direct ATI ones, to see if that clears up my CoH issue, tho the forum consensus seems to be that it's likely a Crypic issue.

Alkiera

voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #21 on: June 06, 2005, 06:58:23 PM

Its a crying shame that Gish doesn't support internet based multiplayer.  Its not deep, but they would be fun games to kill a few minutes with friends.

Hi! It's your Derail Queen again. I have been wishing this about Animal Crossing of late. Badly.

Samwise, I think your gratuitous use of the wink emoticon is adorable.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #22 on: June 06, 2005, 07:05:51 PM

Samwise, I think your gratuitous use of the wink emoticon is adorable.

Thanks!  I like to think it takes some of the edge off my otherwise abrasive personality.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Archived: We distort. We decide.  |  Topic: Review: Gish  
Jump to: