Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:54:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Magic: The Gathering Online  |  Topic: Snakes deck - too good for casual - but not sure where to play it now 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Snakes deck - too good for casual - but not sure where to play it now  (Read 2931 times)
eldaec
Terracotta Army

on: May 20, 2005, 04:21:35 PM

I've been having a go a constructing what my first semi-serious constructed deck. It's basically snakes + good stuff I had lying around from limited matches. I picked snakes because it seems to be way cheaper than just about any other well understood archetype out there. Seshiro is the only rare you need to go out and buy, and Seshiro is avaialble pretty cheap. The amount of mana and mana fixing in the deck mean you can splash just about anything into the finisher/anti-air role, so almost any legendary (so ToN can find it) threat with wings will do.

So this is what I have:

Land

20 Forest
4 Island

Core Snake Production and Pumping Engine

4 Orochi Leafcaller
4 Orochi Sustainer
4 Sakura-Tribe Elder
4 Sachi, Daughter of Seshiro
3 Seshiro the Anointed
4 Sosuke's Summons
4 Time of Need

Jitte Defence

4 Wear Away

And finally a few cards to break a ground stall and protect against fliers

2 Keiga, the Tide Star
1 Meloku the Clouded Mirror
1 Jugan, the Rising Star
1 Umezawa's Jitte

In playtesting this absolutely destroys the casual room, and the tournament practice room, (90%+ wins in kami block and about 70%+ in standard games). But watching tourney games on replay it doesn't look good enough for tournament use.

So, where the heck should I play this deck?

And any suggestions for improvements (other than just spending money on Kokusho and Jittes)?

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #1 on: May 20, 2005, 05:45:56 PM

It's not a snake, but how about tossig in that green card (elf chick? I forget the name offhand) that grabs stuff out of the GY. Also suprised you didn't throw in the really big snake cards (names elude me, haven't played in ~1.5mo). You could drop your legends down to 2, put more Different ones in, and keep pulling silly cards out of the GY.

Sorry I don't have specific names.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: May 21, 2005, 01:45:44 AM

The elf chick is 5th dawn so it would prevent the deck playing Kami block, and to b ehonest, the only thing I need to repeatedly pull out of the graveyard is Summons, so under normal cicumstances I'd rather draw another snake (which will get sachi+seschiro bonuses and still recover all the summons from the yard) than draw elf chick.

As for snakes not taken, a 1/1 snake is a 3/4 once both legends are out, and by keeping the non-token snakes to be both cheap and shaman (shaman for Sachi mana bonus), I can resuse summons more quickly and more often, this gives me chump advantage more quicklly, and if I win with snakes (rather than with Meloku Jitte or Dragons) I do it by token rushing the opponent, guaranteeing that some snakes get through to the dome, which even if damage is modest then gives me massive card adavantage through Seshiro. Cheap Shaman and summons reinforce the value of card advantage.

I used to have Kashi Reaver, and Matsu tribe decoy in there, in the end I just found they gum up the deck.

Similarly with the legends, I already tried reducing the numbers, but good opponents when they see snakes tend to save all removal and burn for sachi and seshiro, it's unusual that I don't have to cast them at least twice each. Especially Sachi.

One Saviors card I am looking forward to in SoK is the Kashi Tribe elite...

Kashi-Tribe Elite - 1GG
Creature - Snake Warrior
Legendary Snakes you control can't be the targets of spells or abilities.
Whenever Kashi-Tribe Elite deals combat damage to a creature, tap that creature and it doesn't untap during its controller's next untap step.
2/3

...the protection that these guys offer the legends means I might be able to make a little more room. Just shame the elite isn't legendary itself. Being a warrior, this card might also make Sosuke (+1/0 to snakes, Warriors destroy anything they damage) a better play.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Magic: The Gathering Online  |  Topic: Snakes deck - too good for casual - but not sure where to play it now  
Jump to: