Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:12:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Gaming Conferences and Conventions  |  E3 '05  |  Topic: Is The Lord of the Rings Online combat really this bad? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is The Lord of the Rings Online combat really this bad?  (Read 12129 times)
Trippy
Administrator

on: May 20, 2005, 02:58:32 AM

I watched the E3 LoTR Online gameplay videos that GameSpot posted here:

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/middleearthonline/media.html

and was flabbergasted with how poor the combat looked. Anybody at E3 check out the Turbine booth? Does the combat really look that bad?
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #1 on: May 20, 2005, 05:15:17 AM

That is disgustingly uninteresting combat....EQ, anyone?

After the pace set by CoH, GW, and even EQ2 to a degree, that kinda stuff just won't fly in today's market. I'm suprised games like FFXI are not closed outright; I could fall asleep trying to play such combat.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #2 on: May 20, 2005, 06:49:30 AM

I watched videos #7 & 8.  That is very disappointing.   huh

Couldn't they just license a more current engine from someone?  The video of the guy taking on the boar pretty much cemented for me the treadmill of PvE this game might be, but hope there will be some improvements by Beta.  Very dated otherwise, yes.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: May 20, 2005, 06:58:52 AM

The Balrog in #5 looked good but I had visions of /shout "Tank LFG for Moria Balrog run!"

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #4 on: May 20, 2005, 07:00:02 AM

I want to watch them but I am not registering with gameshit.

I have never played WoW.
Roac
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: May 20, 2005, 07:06:56 AM

I want to watch them but I am not registering with gameshit.

Stream instead of downloading.

-Roac
King of Ravens

"Young people who pretend to be wise to the ways of the world are mostly just cynics. Cynicism masquerades as wisdom, but it is the farthest thing from it. Because cynics don't learn anything. Because cynicism is a self-imposed blindness, a rejection of the world because we are afraid it will hurt us or disappoint us." -SC
Roac
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: May 20, 2005, 07:20:52 AM

Some of the graphics look pretty, although it's hard to tell at this resolution.  I love the music in Hobbiton (the guitar), and hope they can carry that quality elsewhere, and that there are more than 20 minutes of soundtrack in the game (unlike some MMOGs).  I think they made a couple mistakes in the Hobbiton clip though; there was a clipping error, and while the water was pretty, there were no ripples created by jumping in.  They wanted to advertise the cool water, and it was - until you got in.  They should've just used the bridge.

Combat looks very "meh".  Clink.......... clink.......... clank......  Except now, boar is apparently the new sheep.  They've talked a little about some other features (like how they will handle good v evil) that may make up for it, but the problem I see is that it's hard to get away from combat being core to many features.  It's hard to buy into "a valiant rescue mission" when it's all

clank..... clink..... clank....

-Roac
King of Ravens

"Young people who pretend to be wise to the ways of the world are mostly just cynics. Cynicism masquerades as wisdom, but it is the farthest thing from it. Because cynics don't learn anything. Because cynicism is a self-imposed blindness, a rejection of the world because we are afraid it will hurt us or disappoint us." -SC
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #7 on: May 20, 2005, 08:10:44 AM

In the city fight (#7), could the protagonists stand farther apart? I mean we wouldn't want to actually make contact with our weapons. Someone might get hurt.

edit: In clip #9, the special moves are hitting the ground about 3 feet from the target. Stupid.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2005, 08:13:22 AM by shiznitz »

I have never played WoW.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #8 on: May 20, 2005, 08:31:21 AM

Just having watched only #9 & #8, I can only say that I hope that's early EARLY alpha stuff. Because that looks like monkey ass. With a side order of rat's balls. It reminded me of EQ2, with that special move faggery at the end (RIVER----- DANCE!). The Boar clip reminded me of Wish.

These are not flattering comparisons.

sidereal
Contributor

Reply #9 on: May 20, 2005, 12:00:53 PM

What the fuck do people have against boars?  Rats, I can understand.  They're plaguey little bastards.  Spiders I understand.  Boars mind their own business.  Why can't the default farmed newbie creature be clones of George Lucas?

On a lightly related note, last week in WoW I was killing Zhevra in the Barrens with a new Hunter for some silly quest, and my wife noticed and got pissed off and stormed out of the room.  She's from Africa.

THIS IS THE MOST I HAVE EVERY WANTED TO GET IN TO A BETA
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #10 on: May 20, 2005, 01:02:32 PM

Is it even a debate how much ass this game will suck?

I thought we settled this in the two threads way back when...

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #11 on: May 30, 2005, 12:38:21 PM

After playing CoH, anything less will always fall short. Best combat in a MMOG ever. Now if only the rest of the game was as good as the combat.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Gaming Conferences and Conventions  |  E3 '05  |  Topic: Is The Lord of the Rings Online combat really this bad?  
Jump to: