Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:05:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Gaming Conferences and Conventions  |  E3 '05  |  Topic: A feature I hope next-gen platforms adapt 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A feature I hope next-gen platforms adapt  (Read 8038 times)
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

on: May 19, 2005, 03:55:01 PM

If anyone has played with the PSP you know that you can shut it off at ANY time with no reprecussions.  When you turn it on again, it's exactly where you left it.

It's a feature I absolutely love.

I wonder what it would take to get those into the next gen consoles.  There's something to be said about being able to just power down in the middle of a level, and go do chores/emergency/wife aggro.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1 on: May 20, 2005, 08:25:35 AM

The N-Gage QD does this, too. It's very nice. I'm not sure why consoles don't have a "sleep" button.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: May 20, 2005, 08:26:51 AM

wife aggro.

Usually if my wife Aggros, it's because the Warrior isn't doing his job.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3 on: May 20, 2005, 09:43:33 AM

wife aggro.

Usually if my wife Aggros, it's because the Warrior isn't doing his job.

Ha!  Good laugh before the weekend.  I'll leave the class-balance and mudflation jokes for the reader.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Roac
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: May 20, 2005, 10:37:42 AM

If anyone has played with the PSP you know that you can shut it off at ANY time with no reprecussions.  When you turn it on again, it's exactly where you left it.

It's a feature I absolutely love.

I wonder what it would take to get those into the next gen consoles.  There's something to be said about being able to just power down in the middle of a level, and go do chores/emergency/wife aggro.

You can do that because of the type of memory PSP uses.  It's not new tech, but the proble is that it's more expensive ($$$) and slower.  Since you pretty much get the same feature on a console by changing your channel and/or turning off the TV, I don't see it worth the cost and performance hit.

-Roac
King of Ravens

"Young people who pretend to be wise to the ways of the world are mostly just cynics. Cynicism masquerades as wisdom, but it is the farthest thing from it. Because cynics don't learn anything. Because cynicism is a self-imposed blindness, a rejection of the world because we are afraid it will hurt us or disappoint us." -SC
Rodent
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: May 20, 2005, 10:40:25 AM

Atleast 90% of the time, the start button is your friend.

Wiiiiii!
voodoolily
Contributor

Finnuh, munnuh, muhfuh, I enjoy creating new written vernacular, s'all.

Reply #6 on: May 20, 2005, 11:02:45 AM

Yeah, I've tended to simply pause a game and then turn off the tv and receiver, but the box gets hot (innuendo unintended). The GBA's sleep button is my friend.

Tangential rant: I hate games that only allow saves in certain few and far-between places, when you've come pretty far and you just want to shut the fuck down. Ico is the prime example: after you lose Yorda and you have ~1 hour of gameplay before the end. When I finally figured out the boss (I know it's easy, but it took me a minute to figure it out) and the breathtaking endscenes started, the PS2 crashed and I didn't get to see the ending. I just haven't really felt like doing it all over again.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
The Legend of Zephyr - a different blog.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Gaming Conferences and Conventions  |  E3 '05  |  Topic: A feature I hope next-gen platforms adapt  
Jump to: