Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:20:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Who says exercise has to be boring? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who says exercise has to be boring?  (Read 1517 times)
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

on: May 18, 2005, 02:42:28 PM

Quote from: The Beaches Leader
Beer Mile race on Saturday
May 18, 2005 - By BOB FERNEE

RUNNING/FITNESS

Running, runners and beer. The three certainly make quite an alliance.

In fact, I would be hard-pressed to name a single runner who doesn't enjoy the suds after a run, even more so after a race. I know some guys who check the race entry form to see who the beer sponsor is and if there isn't one they won't go.

Yes, to many runners beer is serious stuff. Who knows, if Phidippides would have had a beer sponsor he might not have died after his legendary run but lived to brag about that trek from Marathon.

On May 21, some local runners will continue the tradition of beer and running by competing in the first "Beer Mile" in Jacksonville history. And make no mistake about it, the Beer Mile is not to be taken lightly.

It is more than just a "sport," the Beer Mile is a worldwide subculture that lurks in the discreet realm known as-believe it or not—"digestive athletics."

The roots of the Beer Mile phenomenon have been traced to college campuses in New England and (take a bow) Florida. Also to Hash House events in Indonesia and many places in Canada, particularly Ontario.

Early Beer Mile races, that took place as long ago as the late 1980s (wow, ancient history!) are shrouded in mystery and many details have been lost in the telling. Blurry details, eh, might that be due to the consumption of vast quantities of suds? We'll never know, it seems.

What we do know is that early races were not huge—any field of more than five stalwart beer-loving runners would have been considered massive—and that the first rules were laid down in Kingston, Ontario and became known as the "Kingston Rules," the bible of the sport.

When it comes to the Beer Mile, rules were definitely not made to be broken. Like all eccentrics, Beer Milers are sticklers for details. How does one run a perfectly legitimate, world-record qualifying Beer Mile?

1. Beer must be a minimum of 5 percent alcohol by volume (therefore insipid light beers are invalid).

2. Beer must be 12 ounces (341 ml) in volume and be contained in a bottle or can. Wide mouth bottles or cans that could allow faster swallowing are not allowed. Tricks such as shotgunning a can or using a straw are against the rules.

3. The race must be run on an athletics track and all the beers must be consumed in the ten-meter zone before the start/finish line of a 400-meter track.

4. Race begins with the drinking of one entire beer, followed by the running of one entire lap. This process must be completed three more times until four laps (one mile) and four beers are consumed.

5. In the event that a competitor should lose his beer (I was trying to be nice but it didn't work. You know, vomit.) An additional lap must be run.

That last one is the kicker. I told you these guys were serious; they don't even have pity on some poor sick weakling. However, to show a tiny bit of compassion it has been ruled that if a person vomits more than once he is required to run only one extra "penalty" lap. That's decent; otherwise just think how long he might be out there.

You may think I am fabricating all this but I swear it is true. If you don't believe me just check out the official web site, Beermile.com. The Beer Mile is only the beginning, how do these torturous events sound? The 4-lap Beer Steeplechase (4 beers, 4 laps, 16 barriers, 4 water pits); the Vodka 2-Mile (8 shots, 8 laps); the 4x40 Beer Relay (4 team members, one 40 ounce beer, 1 lap each); the Ben & Jerry's 4x4 (4 pints of Ben & Jerry's ice cream, 4 miles).

Sean Wade, of Hamilton, Ontario, with the time of 5 minutes and 40 seconds, currently holds the Beer Mile world record.

On Saturday, May 21, if you would like to see a group of locals attack that impressive mark, or if you want to compete, contact race organizer, Rick Patterson, at Rick.Patter-son@MizunoUSA.com.

Even if the record isn't eclipsed perhaps the age-old question will be answered: Who is best suited for the Beer Mile, the runner or the drinker?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Who says exercise has to be boring?  
Jump to: