Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:43:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Gaming Conferences and Conventions  |  E3 '05  |  Topic: Jesus wants a playstation. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jesus wants a playstation.  (Read 11583 times)
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

on: May 18, 2005, 12:14:05 PM

Quote from: Reuters
Praise the Lord and pass the PlayStation
Published: May 17, 2005, 4:29 PM PDT
By Reuters

Hoping to tap into the same audience that has made Christian pop music a force in the entertainment industry, some developers are betting that Christian-themed video games can claim a sizeable chunk of the $10 billion gaming market.

So far, games such as "Spiritual Warfare" and "Exodus: Journey to the Promised Land" have drawn a loyal following by combining biblical themes with mild action. Users can travel through biblical lands, solve puzzles based on scripture and, in some games, slash demonic foes.

Some Christian game developers are betting that Christian games are ready for a boom on the eve of the launch of next-generation gaming consoles such as Sony's PlayStation 3, Microsoft's Xbox and Nintendo's Revolution.

"There's a huge appetite for Christian games," said Bill Bean, co-founder of game developer Digital Praise, which already has two "Adventures in Odyssey" games for children 8 and older. In those games, children are taught lessons involving values like truth and honesty.

Digital Praise plans to release four games later this year that will move the company toward a higher age bracket and into games with more obvious Christian themes, Bean said.

Bean plans to pitch his ideas for Christian games to Microsoft's Xbox at this week's Electronic Entertainment Expo, or E3, the gaming industry's biggest annual gathering, in Los Angeles.

Micro Forte, an Australian game developer, is also working on a Christian game for the PC and Xbox that's expected to include a lot more action, similar to the company's "Citizen Zero" combat game.

In an industry often blamed for promoting violence, companies such as Digital Praise, Micro Forte, N'Lightning Software and others are trying to change that image by making games that encourage Christian values.

But to do that, they will have to adopt the economics of the game business, where it costs at least $2 million to develop a game for the Xbox, PlayStation 2 or Nintendo's GameCube.

That's a tough budget for many game developers, who got their start by making educational games. Now the games are evolving to include more action and adventure, in line with the fast-paced, complex games that dominate the industry today.

While many Christian developers will be at E3, most will also be at the Christian Game Developer's Conference in Portland, Ore., in late July for the industry's eighth annual conference.

Tim Emmerich, organizer of the Christian gaming conference, said he expects about 120 developers to show up.

"The market is actually in its second generation," Emmerich said, saying that Christian games had flourished years ago on older PCs and on older consoles.

Wisdom Tree, another Christian game developer, is long-known for making games based on Bible passages such as "Bible Crossword Studio" and developed games for older consoles such as Sega's Genesis and Nintendo Entertainment System.

The other challenge, Digital Praise's Bean said, is to get Christian games onto mainstream store shelves. So far, sales are mainly limited to Christian stores and direct sales.

Both Bean and Emmerich have their sights on Wal-Mart Stores, the world's biggest retailer, which sells more than $1 billion yearly in Christian products.

"We'll be in Wal-Mart," Emmerich said, of future retailing outlets for Christian games.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #1 on: May 18, 2005, 12:19:21 PM

I met Bible Man once. To my surprise, he took his mask off...I almost couldn't believe who it was.

EDIT: This has something to do with "Christian" video games. I think. If there isn't a Bible Man video game yet, then there will be.

Just for reference, this is Bible Man:

« Last Edit: May 18, 2005, 12:25:56 PM by Stray »
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #2 on: May 18, 2005, 12:25:39 PM

I'd post a picture of Billy Graham's Bible Blasters, but I can't find one.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #3 on: May 18, 2005, 12:30:50 PM

Willie Aames hung up the Bible Man mantle and someone new has taken it over.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #4 on: May 18, 2005, 12:34:00 PM

Good for them, because I remember playing one of their old games that was a righteous success.  rolleyes

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
WayAbvPar

Reply #5 on: May 18, 2005, 12:35:48 PM

Does it work like the Dread Pirate Roberts?

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #6 on: May 18, 2005, 12:37:50 PM

I think that game was actually made unofficially, without Nintendo's sanction.  For shame!

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #7 on: May 18, 2005, 12:47:41 PM

Does it work like the Dread Pirate Roberts?

Exactly like that. I think he found a young boy whom he groomed into the new Bibleman.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #8 on: May 18, 2005, 12:54:51 PM

I assume Grooming is some kind of euphemism.

voodoolily
Contributor

Finnuh, munnuh, muhfuh, I enjoy creating new written vernacular, s'all.

Reply #9 on: May 18, 2005, 01:04:31 PM

Isn't Rome Total War already a Christian game?

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
The Legend of Zephyr - a different blog.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #10 on: May 18, 2005, 01:11:27 PM

Isn't Rome Total War already a Christian game?

Medieval Total War maybe.
Aenovae
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: May 18, 2005, 04:05:22 PM

A new Bible Adventures was being shown at E3 today.  I kid you not.  I couldn't bring myself to go up and see what kind of game it was, or even what platform it was for.  So I have no real information for you except: oldschool Bible Adventures fans, rejoice!
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #12 on: May 18, 2005, 04:35:12 PM

A new Bible Adventures was being shown at E3 today.  I kid you not.  I couldn't bring myself to go up and see what kind of game it was, or even what platform it was for.  So I have no real information for you except: oldschool Bible Adventures fans, rejoice!

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Gaming Conferences and Conventions  |  E3 '05  |  Topic: Jesus wants a playstation.  
Jump to: