Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:37:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Gaming Conferences and Conventions  |  E3 '05  |  Topic: Eye Candy. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Eye Candy.  (Read 52476 times)
schild
Administrator

on: May 16, 2005, 06:56:57 AM

There's going to be a lot of shit coming from the douchebags this week. Post the eye candy in here...just like the topic says.

Here. I'll start. Perfect Dark Zero.

The new 360 does some fancy uhmmm. Yea.
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: May 16, 2005, 07:00:02 AM

"Rise of Legends"
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2 on: May 16, 2005, 08:53:18 AM

I'm still trying to figure out just what type of game Perfect Dark is, despite having seen all that stuff on it in the Gala Event thingie. Is it a Halo-esque shooter, or more Resident Evil type? Metroid, except not Nintendo?

Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #3 on: May 16, 2005, 08:54:33 AM

I'm still trying to figure out just what type of game Perfect Dark is, despite having seen all that stuff on it in the Gala Event thingie. Is it a Halo-esque shooter, or more Resident Evil type? Metroid, except not Nintendo?

I'm still trying to figure out why I should care about Perfect Dark.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #4 on: May 16, 2005, 10:14:21 AM

I'm still trying to figure out why it looks like a game that could be run on the current Xbox...

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
schild
Administrator

Reply #5 on: May 16, 2005, 10:16:04 AM

I'm still trying to figure out why it looks like a game that could be run on the current Xbox...

I bet [t]it looks better in motion.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #6 on: May 16, 2005, 10:17:36 AM

Looks like it might have full-on dynamic lighting a la Doom 3 (you can see the character's shadow behind her), but it's in a large outdoor setting and appears to be relatively high-poly.  That in itself is pretty impressive.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #7 on: May 16, 2005, 11:26:53 AM

I really thought this was going to be a booby thread.  I'm happily surprised!   smiley

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #8 on: May 16, 2005, 11:32:29 AM

I take it back... the different trees in the shot seem to be following different lighting rules.  Specifically, the one on the left casts no visible shadow at all, but the one on the right casts a darker shadow into the shadow of the building.  Bah.   tongue  I'm back to being unimpressed.

By the tech, anyway.  The boobies are still nice.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #9 on: May 16, 2005, 11:36:15 AM

I take it back... the different trees in the shot seem to be following different lighting rules.  Specifically, the one on the left casts no visible shadow at all, but the one on the right casts a darker shadow into the shadow of the building.  Bah.   tongue  I'm back to being unimpressed.

From the looks of it, the tree on the left isn't being hit with any direct sunlight, and is in the shadow of the large buildings around it. The lighting appears to still be working.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #10 on: May 16, 2005, 12:04:37 PM

Nope, look at the tree on the right.  Part of its shadow goes into the building shadow, but the tree itself appears to be in full sunlight.  Real light definitely doesn't behave that way.   wink  If part of the tree's shadow is in another (lighter) shadow, I'd expect the appropriate portion of the tree to be in the building's shadow, AND I'd expect the other trees that are in the building's shadow to cast similar (darker) shadows.

Since that's not happening, I'm guessing that this particular tree just projects a dark shadow onto whatever is behind it, rather than having the shadow be dependent on the light in the rest of the scene.  In other words, cheap trickery.  Half-Life 2 did the same thing, which is why you'd occasionally see things like a person standing on something solid but casting a mysterious floating shadow (because the thing he was standing on didn't follow the same shadowing rules that he did).  Soldier of Fortune 2 had even more primitive trickery that would occasionally result in the shadow projecting onto empty air because it didn't pay enough attention to the geometry of the map.

Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: May 16, 2005, 12:22:37 PM

Are you looking at the same picture we are? I see shadow of a tree within the shadow of the building. The tree on the right, right?

- Viin
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #12 on: May 16, 2005, 12:27:44 PM

Are you looking at the same picture we are? I see shadow of a tree within the shadow of the building. The tree on the right, right?

Yup, that's what I'm looking at.  The shadow of a tree inside the shadow of the building means that the building should be casting a shadow onto the tree, but we're not seeing that.  It also suggests that the indirect light in the building's shadow is direct enough to still cast a shadow, in which case we should be seeing the same thing on the other trees, and we're not seeing that either.

(edit) In other words, that shadow might as well be painted onto the building - it's not actually a result of the lighting conditions at all.  If you took the tree out of the scene the shadow would probably still be there.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2005, 12:31:09 PM by Samwise »

Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: May 16, 2005, 12:30:27 PM

Ok I see - seems like the building shadows aren't following the lighting rules of everything else.. maybe they are permanent shadows.. or maybe environment vs actor shadows are bugged and calculated differently.

- Viin
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #14 on: May 16, 2005, 01:10:28 PM

EQ2's shadows were beautiful. Of course, the game blows for soloers and no machine can run full lights/shadows faster than a slideshow, but hey.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #15 on: May 16, 2005, 02:20:05 PM

Mo pitcherz, less bitcherz.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
voodoolily
Contributor

Finnuh, munnuh, muhfuh, I enjoy creating new written vernacular, s'all.

Reply #16 on: May 16, 2005, 03:09:43 PM

I still think Riven is one of the best looking games ever made. And this is like, 5 or 6 years old!

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
The Legend of Zephyr - a different blog.
WayAbvPar

Reply #17 on: May 16, 2005, 03:44:02 PM

Only one problem- Riven was a screensaver, not a game.  rolleyes

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #18 on: May 16, 2005, 03:47:32 PM

Oh god that argument is so tired. Just because you don't have swords or guns (or a character, for that matter) doesn't mean it's not a game! Puzzle games kick ass. Especially when the desgners have actually invested more than some stupid little falling blocks into it.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
WayAbvPar

Reply #19 on: May 16, 2005, 03:48:36 PM

I played Myst for about 10 minutes and nearly killed myself. Bleah.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
MaceVanHoffen
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: May 16, 2005, 03:52:27 PM

Yeah, what voodoo said ... why the Riven hate?  It's better than a lot of games released today.  Of course, it's not for ridalin-deprived ADHD children ...
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #21 on: May 16, 2005, 03:53:11 PM

I think I could do without every single game made in the last 10 years for handful of good puzzle/adventure games like Myst.
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #22 on: May 16, 2005, 03:53:52 PM

Y'know, I spent way too long on it too, but when you get tired of it, you can just use a spoiler-free walkthrough to see the breathtaking scenery and gorgeous, funky inventions. That's what I ended up doing for about half of Riven.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #23 on: May 16, 2005, 04:00:22 PM

What tends to irritate me about most puzzle/adventure games that I've played is when you've got, essentially, a static screen with a couple of magical pixels on it that you can click on, and one of them will let you go to the next screen.  Any given puzzle will only have a single solution.  Riven might be better about it than most, but that was my major problem with Grim Fandango - hours spent just visiting every location and checking every pixel on the screen, looking for an item I hadn't yet picked up.

Crimson Room is a lot like that, except with Flash you'll at least get cued by the changing cursor when a portion of the screen is interactive, meaning you can just mouse around the screen rather than clicking everything furiously.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #24 on: May 16, 2005, 04:19:54 PM

I still think Riven is one of the best looking games ever made. And this is like, 5 or 6 years old!
It's a lot easier to display photo-realistic graphics when you aren't trying to render them in real-time.
WayAbvPar

Reply #25 on: May 16, 2005, 04:21:32 PM

What tends to irritate me about most puzzle/adventure games that I've played is when you've got, essentially, a static screen with a couple of magical pixels on it that you can click on, and one of them will let you go to the next screen.  Any given puzzle will only have a single solution.

My point exactly. That kind of 'gameplay' holds precisely zero interest for me; hence the Myst/Riven hate.

voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #26 on: May 16, 2005, 04:28:51 PM

Oh, well. It's too bad more games just can't be that pretty. At least when it comes to cutscenes, FFX did a nice job. (Even though I still think Tidus is a douchebag)

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #27 on: May 16, 2005, 04:31:30 PM

What tends to irritate me about most puzzle/adventure games that I've played is when you've got, essentially, a static screen with a couple of magical pixels on it that you can click on, and one of them will let you go to the next screen.  Any given puzzle will only have a single solution.

My point exactly. That kind of 'gameplay' holds precisely zero interest for me; hence the Myst/Riven hate.

C'mon, this is 10 years ago. The genre has evolved now. Check out the new Myst game or the one before it: Uru.

The reason why these games were so much better (imo) is because of the work that was put into the stories. Ever since Doom, Quake, or Medal of Honor, it's been the same fucking story over and over again (that's an exaggeration, of course, but you know what I mean).

Secondly, because of artisitic merit. Real time rendering or not. The look of these of games had a personal touch (I suppose that real time rendering with 3d engines has only now started to allow similar possibilities -- hence, why there's no excuse to check out one of the newer adventure games).
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #28 on: May 16, 2005, 04:49:46 PM

Oh, well. It's too bad more games just can't be that pretty. At least when it comes to cutscenes, FFX did a nice job. (Even though I still think Tidus is a douchebag)

They're starting to get there.  Half-Life 2 had consistently good art direction, and Doom 3 had a few flashes of brilliance scattered in between all the dark metal corridors.  I'm looking forward to the next crop of games.

sidereal
Contributor

Reply #29 on: May 16, 2005, 05:52:36 PM

THIS IS THE MOST I HAVE EVERY WANTED TO GET IN TO A BETA
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #30 on: May 16, 2005, 05:59:24 PM

Now THAT is a sexy looking machine.

But the fucker stands upright.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #31 on: May 16, 2005, 06:06:56 PM

They should make it so the people who buy the black PlayStation 3 always fight the people who bought the white PlayStation 3.  I'm seriously.  And the people who buy the grey one can be crafters and RPers.

THIS IS THE MOST I HAVE EVERY WANTED TO GET IN TO A BETA
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: May 16, 2005, 06:58:36 PM

The reason a lot of XBox 360 games look like XBox games is because they are XBox games. A lot of them started life as XBox games and are getting a rush-job port.

That screenshot up top is funny, why is her face modelled off of a Chimps?

PD is an FPS game like Goldeneye. Who cares, Rare sucks now and has for years. Their last 2 projects were something about Ghoulies that nobody has ever heard of, and Starfox that began as an N64 Dinosaur game and Nintendo was forced to take it over when it became clear Rare was never going to finish it. They've been working on Kameo for 4+ years now, it's switched systems twice and is by most accounts just mediocre. They've totally lost the ability to make anything good, or even get something out the door. All the talent has left.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #33 on: May 16, 2005, 08:27:43 PM

Now THAT is a sexy looking machine.

But the fucker stands upright.
It doesn't have to.

I hope those pictures are real, they look like the one the associated press has.
schild
Administrator

Reply #34 on: May 16, 2005, 08:30:58 PM

Goddamn that's awesome. Minimalistic luv.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Gaming Conferences and Conventions  |  E3 '05  |  Topic: Eye Candy.  
Jump to: