Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:46:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Gaming Conferences and Conventions  |  E3 '05  |  Topic: Microsoft is playing a dangerous game. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Microsoft is playing a dangerous game.  (Read 40582 times)
schild
Administrator

on: May 15, 2005, 04:26:29 PM

Halo 3 parrying PlayStation 3 launch

Time quotes Bill Gates saying Sony's next-gen console will "walk into" the Xbox 360 follow-up to the best-selling sci-fi shooter.
For months, the Web was rife with rumors that Microsoft would ship the sequel to Halo 2 for the Xbox 360 simultaneously with the launch of the PlayStation 3. Now, that has been confirmed--by none other than Bill Gates himself.

In next week's issue of Time Magazine--which features Gates holding the Xbox 360 on the cover--Gates mentioned plans for the release of the much-anticipated follow-up to the best-selling console shooter. In a parenthetical sidebar in the article, Time says the following:

"Note to the hard-core faithful: the next version of Halo will not, repeat not, be ready in time for the launch of Xbox 360. It will be part of the all-important second wave next spring. 'It's perfect,' Gates says, radiant with bloodlust. 'The day Sony launches [the new PlayStation], and they walk right into Halo 3.'"

While Microsoft reps were not available for comment as of press time, Gates' comments appear to confirm the theory that Microsoft will release Halo 3 either simultaneously or near the release of Sony's next-gen console. It also marks the first official confirmation that a third Halo is indeed in the works, and will be released for the Xbox 360.

Although such statements might be interpreted as grandstanding, such a maneuver definitely would have an impact. Halo 2 sold over 6.5 million copies to date, and is credited with doubling the subscriber base of Xbox Live from around 750,000 to over 1.5 million. It is also credited by industry-watchers as one of the main reasons for boosting sales of the original Xbox last holiday season.

Taken Shamelessly from Gamespot. Author removed because he too, is a douchebag.

While this is a brilliant idea on the outside...I'd skip Halo 3 to get a PS3 and *whatever* RPG launches with it. Even if the 360 has a keyboard and mouse combo for Halo. I don't think many xbox fans would take that same course of action and it may very well be a great way to kick some ass this next console race. Will it get them the majority? Probably not. But they'll be one step closer to it, and giving Nintendo even LESS market share (if that's possible).
Malderi
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: May 15, 2005, 05:46:31 PM

Well, there goes whatever infintesimal chance I had of buying a Sony product. ;-)

Yes, I'm a shill for the Xbox... and, more specifically, Halo... more than likely, Jade Empire 2 is planned to launch with Halo 3, and in that case nothing will keep me from both of them.

This is a humorous signature.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #2 on: May 15, 2005, 08:11:13 PM

Oh boy, another rushed-to-market Halo?

And retarded people will buy it and declare it Robot Jesus anyway. Sigh.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #3 on: May 15, 2005, 08:38:46 PM

Why does anyone play an FPS on the console with the standard controller?  I tried to play Halo: Couldn't fucking stand it, I wanted my damned mouse, even if I couldn't have a SpeedPad for a keyboard replacement.  You line your crosshairs at roughly the same height as your target and *strafe* until they are in the crosshairs?  WTF?  I'm used to high deflection, he's going up, I'm going down, the round is going *thataway*, bouncing off 2 walls and the floor zen marksmanship, and they want me to play like I'm just mashing buttons at random and hoping to hit something?  Hell, my 8-year-old pwns me and everyone else in the house with pretty much that exact strategy on console FPS games.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
AOFanboi
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: May 16, 2005, 12:14:33 AM

"Note to the hard-core faithful: the next version of Halo will not, repeat not, be ready in time for the launch of Xbox 360. It will be part of the all-important second wave next spring. 'It's perfect,' Gates says, radiant with bloodlust. 'The day Sony launches [the new PlayStation], and they walk right into Halo 3.'"
Yes, I am sure Sony cries whenever Billy Goats gives their product free publicity. "The X360 Halo will launch the same day/week as Sony Playstation 3, because we fear it greatly and will try to dampen its inevitable market dominance."

Face it, people who wants a PS3 will not care one iota that an overhyped console FPS franchise releases another incarnation. They want a powerful machine to play Colossus on.

Current: Mario Kart DS, Nintendogs
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #5 on: May 16, 2005, 01:24:39 AM

People that enjoy FPS games on consoles are some of the lowest form of scum.

Only slightly higher than people that play The Sims.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #6 on: May 16, 2005, 04:22:32 AM

Only slightly higher than people that play The Sims.

And then there's the people who play The Sims with MODS.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
schild
Administrator

Reply #7 on: May 16, 2005, 06:21:48 AM

The people who enjoy playing FPS's on consoles with a controller are lower than people who play The Sims with Mods.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #8 on: May 16, 2005, 08:44:50 AM

Wow, what a dumb douchebag, and way to completely and utterly misread the fucking market. Tard. Bill Gates that is. He still doesn't understand the console market after all these years.

It matters fuckall whether or not you launch Halo 3, your console's most successful product, on the same day as the new system. What matters is if your console, which will have been out almost 6 months by this time, has MORE GOOD GAMES available when the PS3 launches than the PS3 has at launch. If you have 20 games by that time, and the PS3 has 15 launch titles, YOU LOSE, even if those launch titles suck. The PS2 is not the market leader because it's a better system, or had a flashier launch or had GT3 launch the same day as something else. It is the market leader because it has 3 bazillion games available for purchase or rent, PLUS all the other PS1 games expanded the library by eleventy billion more games. It is also why the GameCube does not sell better than the X-Box because there are less games.

You'd think Bill wouldn't want to toss more money down a drain with stupid, but that is not the case. He hasn't learned many of the lessons he should have.

Douchebag.

schild
Administrator

Reply #9 on: May 16, 2005, 09:43:24 AM

Gates is a douchebag. Not as much as J Allard. But a douchebag nonetheless. Point here is that HALO has come a long way since "halo, you know that Bungie game that's coming out for the Xbox and has been delayed for...ever." Even if the next installment is shitty, it will probably be the most sold game next year. It will give Microsoft that extra bump in marketshare right before the PS3 really hits big. They'll have 100% of the next gen market for 4 months. As we've learned from the dreamcast, that can make you or break you. And Microsoft isn't big on breaking. They know what cards they're holding and it sounds like they're playing them right, even if they aren't interesting.
WayAbvPar

Reply #10 on: May 16, 2005, 10:16:47 AM

Why does anyone play an FPS on the console with the standard controller?  I tried to play Halo: Couldn't fucking stand it, I wanted my damned mouse, even if I couldn't have a SpeedPad for a keyboard replacement.

Amen. Halo II/III etc  might be Robot Jesus, but until I can play it with mouse, I don't give a shit.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #11 on: May 16, 2005, 10:25:09 AM

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #12 on: May 16, 2005, 10:25:51 AM

It doesn't quite work. There's some reviews of it out there. I'd link to them but I'm lazy.

[EDIT] I found some motivation. Review @ Team Xbox.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2005, 10:27:58 AM by Shockeye »
schild
Administrator

Reply #13 on: May 16, 2005, 10:26:13 AM

Smartjoy is old news. I do believe we're talking about the 360 here.
Strazos

Reply #14 on: May 16, 2005, 10:28:22 AM

If the 360 is compatible with current controllers, so will the SmartJOY.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
schild
Administrator

Reply #15 on: May 16, 2005, 10:29:47 AM

If the 360 is compatible with current controllers, so will the SmartJOY.

The smartjoy isn't really compatible...at all. With anything.

Edit: As in, it sucks.
Strazos

Reply #16 on: May 16, 2005, 10:30:53 AM

Having never used it, how could it suck? You just plug in a KB and mouse, right?

Pretty difficult to fuck that up...

Fear the Backstab!
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #17 on: May 16, 2005, 10:35:00 AM

Having never used it, how could it suck? You just plug in a KB and mouse, right?

Pretty difficult to fuck that up...

Read the review.
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #18 on: May 16, 2005, 05:57:47 PM

Mmmm. . PS3 launch. . just imagine what they could do with Final Fantasy Tactics with all that processing power!

THIS IS THE MOST I HAVE EVERY WANTED TO GET IN TO A BETA
Jain Zar
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: May 16, 2005, 08:44:12 PM

Still have a game that's inferior to the original X Com?

Edit: Not bad mind you, just still not in the same league as X Com.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2005, 08:56:48 PM by Jain Zar »
AOFanboi
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: May 16, 2005, 11:55:11 PM

Mmmm. . PS3 launch. . just imagine what they could do with Final Fantasy Tactics with all that processing power!
We know what they will do with Final Fantasy VII with that power. Other reports from the game demos speak of mind-blowing things as well.

But it doesn't have replacable Hello Kitty covers, so I guess the X360 will win.

Current: Mario Kart DS, Nintendogs
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #21 on: May 17, 2005, 02:07:26 PM

We know what they will do with Final Fantasy VII with that power

Display a pre-rendered cutscene?  Let me take a moment to rant, because it's been bugging me all day.  I went to GameSpot for some E3 coverage and saw some beautiful graphics (noticably in the Gundam game and Ninety-Nine Nights) and after each there was a little blurb that said something like 'but we don't know if this is a cutscene or gameplay'.  That is douchebaggery of the highest order.  The difference is not incidental, it's the entire fucking point of the video game industry.  People don't play video games to watch movies.  If I wanted to watch a pretty movie I have many to choose from.  I don't have to go to E3 for it.  I understand getting excited about a game because of a cutscene.  That's what they're for.  I don't understand trying to draw any inference whatsoever about how the game will look, how potent the hardware is, or god forbid how good the game will be based on a cutscene that was made in Bryce and/or Poser and/or Maya on a Solaris box that was not within 800 miles of any of the game developers or of the actual hardware the game will run on.  And so when the jackasses at Gamespot beat off to these images without caring overmuch whether they are gameplay or cutscenes, what they are saying is that they don't care about the difference between video games and movies, or the difference between making a cutscene and making a game engine.  It suggests that all they care about is mindlessly proxying pretty images to you in order to get you to buy games that you have absolutely no discriminating information on and which will likely suck dick.  I hate.

Edit: Addendum to actually add their comment on 99 Nights:
It's completely unclear at this point whether or not any of this footage is in-game or if it's all a lot of CG cutscenes, but even if it is a bunch of cutscenes, we're impressed with what we've seen of Nintety-Nine Nights, and we can't wait to learn more.

Even if it's a bunch of cutscenes, you're impressed with the game?  So even if what you just saw is an artist's impression of the kind of idea behind the game and actually has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the game's gameplay or appearance, it makes the game impressive?  I hope that douche is pleasantly scented, you bastards!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2005, 02:12:52 PM by sidereal »

THIS IS THE MOST I HAVE EVERY WANTED TO GET IN TO A BETA
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #22 on: May 17, 2005, 03:06:45 PM

Quote from: Some Douchebag Blog
E3 2005: Most embarrassing thing ever

So far E3 has been good; a fair number of meetings, the press conferences, etc.

But here's the worst thing ever. The Xbox360 press conference was kind of done "in the round", that is, the presenter stood on a circular platform with the audience all around. The audience behind the presenters was on the stage, and at first they looked normal. But the press conference started about 40 minutes late, so we on the main floor had a lot of time to look at these people. They seemed like they could be developers or bloggers or something... they were all 20'ish, in jeans and T-shirts and whatnot. But, they were all fairly attractive - or at least the women were - as was noticed by the people behind me.

The next thing we noticed was that none of them wore the little circular pins we all had been given when we came in. Hmmm. Weird.

But the last hint came when a shapely woman came forward with the Xbox360 in a pack and put it on the stage. Suddenly this audience erupted into applause. They were hired guns! At every cue they went crazy, clapping and cheering and pumping their arms, nodding their heads, etc. Microsoft had brought its own supporters along with them, just in case they got a chilly reception at the press conference!

That's just horrible. I felt sorry for them - what did they think they were doing? I could only think that perhaps they brought these people along to provide a pretty backdrop for the camera shots. Ooo, look at all the pretty, hip people! They all want Xbox360! Look how excited they are! It was like an infomercial.

It was completely embarrassing, and the real audience caught on quickly. I think MS would have gotten a much better reception had they not tried to stack the deck at their conference. As one friend said, "It's like a Bush press conference!"

Posted by madsax at May 17, 2005 11:48 AM
schild
Administrator

Reply #23 on: May 17, 2005, 03:11:33 PM

Who cares.

Edit: This is why I hate bloggers.
AcidCat
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: May 17, 2005, 03:21:35 PM

Excuse me while I dodge the flying jism from your elitist circle-jerk. FPS games are very playable with a controller, it's just a matter of getting used to a different style of control that is less precise, but for many a bit more intuitive.  I have no problem enjoying FPS games on console and PC both.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #25 on: May 17, 2005, 03:22:52 PM

Excuse me while I dodge the flying jism from your elitist circle-jerk. FPS games are very playable with a controller, it's just a matter of getting used to a different style of control that is less precise, but for many a bit more intuitive.  I have no problem enjoying FPS games on console and PC both.

I like consoles for what they do well. First person shooters are not something consoles do well.
schild
Administrator

Reply #26 on: May 17, 2005, 03:23:09 PM

It's not elitism. It's less precise, exactly as you just said. It's anal-retentiveness if anything. If you can't be precise - just don't do it.

Edit: Goddamnit, shockeye just said [nearly] the exact same thing. Mere seconds before me.
Evil Elvis
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: May 17, 2005, 03:50:20 PM

Aside from being a console FPS, this is also the most exciting fps video I've ever seen.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #28 on: May 17, 2005, 04:39:56 PM

Aside from being a console FPS, this is also the most exciting fps video I've ever seen.

Wow, that rocks! Never played the first Killzone though. Maybe I should rent it?
schild
Administrator

Reply #29 on: May 17, 2005, 04:41:22 PM

Wow, that rocks! Never played the first Killzone though. Maybe I should rent it?

It's crap.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #30 on: May 17, 2005, 04:50:08 PM

Holy shit.

If that is in-game play (like a beginning scene, normandy style), I'm mighty mighty impressed.

I may have to invest in a 61" just for these next gen systems.  I think I heard Circuit City is giving away a 15" LCD with purchase of TV > 3k.
Evil Elvis
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: May 17, 2005, 05:03:40 PM

Holy shit.

If that is in-game play (like a beginning scene, normandy style), I'm mighty mighty impressed.

I may have to invest in a 61" just for these next gen systems.  I think I heard Circuit City is giving away a 15" LCD with purchase of TV > 3k.

I'm assuming (hoping) it's actual gameplay footage.  It'd be a huge letdown to find out otherwise.
schild
Administrator

Reply #32 on: May 17, 2005, 05:05:23 PM

There's a host of AMAZING trailers. Dead or Alive 4 looks just incredible. As usual, Team Ninja just rocks everyone elses candy ass when it comes to the pretty.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #33 on: May 17, 2005, 05:05:51 PM

Holy shit.

I'm assuming (hoping) it's actual gameplay footage.  It'd be a huge letdown to find out otherwise.

I think this will be the time when "cutscenes" finally become the "game". At least I hope.
schild
Administrator

Reply #34 on: May 17, 2005, 05:07:29 PM

I think the DOA gameplay looked better than the cutscenes. We're talking massive generational leap here. Way past the PS1/Dreamcast to PS2/Xbox. WAY past. The draw distances are just huge. Physics are shaping up super nicely (and I mean that in a boobies way, how else can you judge? ragdolls? Please). And color bleed is nearly gone (but then, color bleed disappeared with HDMI and on some sets with Component cables).
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Gaming Conferences and Conventions  |  E3 '05  |  Topic: Microsoft is playing a dangerous game.  
Jump to: