Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:55:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Gaming Conferences and Conventions  |  E3 '05  |  Topic: You've Come a Long Way, Geekpants. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: You've Come a Long Way, Geekpants.  (Read 21241 times)
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

on: May 14, 2005, 10:47:41 PM

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1 on: May 14, 2005, 11:45:55 PM

Another fine rant  :-D
AOFanboi
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: May 15, 2005, 12:29:44 AM

I got confused during the ordeal: Was it over? They are showing a video, it must be. No, there's that "sponsored by XBox" thing again. More live music. Where are the games? I can only take so much post-grunge rock, you know.

I later read we Europeans were blessed with even LESS actual content than you Americans. If Microsoft wants replacable front covers (with or without Hello Kitty) to be the USP for their new baby, I am very content in waiting until 2006 and get me some PS3 and Revolution luv. The feature lists for the two will probably read much the same as XB360's - wireless controlles, network play, DVD etc. playback...

I mean, this MTV launch shit was so hyped. And so utterly disappointing. I wonder if it's an omen for what will be the modus operandi for the games come November. "Fable 2! Less corridors, more b00bs! You want the b00bs!"

Current: Mario Kart DS, Nintendogs
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #3 on: May 15, 2005, 03:58:43 AM

Sounds even worse than

I've never been more happy to be out of the loop.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
SuperPopTart
Terracotta Army

I am damn cute for a stubby shortling.

Reply #4 on: May 15, 2005, 05:01:12 AM

L-O-L

Great rant, lol. I am laughing my bum off.

I am Super, I am a Pop Tart.
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #5 on: May 15, 2005, 09:56:09 AM

Speaking of a Playgirl pictorial, there's an actress from Ep III in the June issue of Playboy.  From all accounts I've read of the film, all of her scenes got axed in editing.  Yet she's still STAR WARS'S BAI LING, which sounds suspiciously like Bling.

Lucas is such a whore, he whores out the people not good enough to make it into his movie.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: May 15, 2005, 11:12:12 AM

Um, you have it backwards. She posed for Playboy on her own, then her scenes were cut BECAUSE she posed for Playboy. Lucas didn't want one of his Star Wars actresses coming out in Playboy the same month the movie launched.
---

The replaceable nameplate thing on the XBox sounds awesome. So does the webcam. Seriously, whoever is coming up with these ideas just is not getting paid enough money! That's so so much better than lowering the price a bit. I cannot wait. Maybe I will get an awesome nameplate thing, then show it off to my online buds using the webcam - synergy!

All they need now is a built-in rock polisher.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: May 15, 2005, 11:39:43 AM

Um, you have it backwards. She posed for Playboy on her own, then her scenes were cut BECAUSE she posed for Playboy. Lucas didn't want one of his Star Wars actresses coming out in Playboy the same month the movie launched.

My take is that George doesn't want anyone making any money for themselves off Star Wars that he doesn't get a piece of.

If Lucas gets any fatter and greedier and he's going to become Jabba.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #8 on: May 15, 2005, 06:17:11 PM

He already has the neck for it.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #9 on: May 15, 2005, 09:28:21 PM

He already has the neck for it.

How does one go about in accomplishing that anyways? That's just weird.
TardKommando
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: May 16, 2005, 01:06:56 AM

I don't really think this "MTV Special" was for us. They knew the "gamers" had already got the info from a myriad of other sources. The ourcolony video was probably for "us", though the cringe inducing Jay Allard reminded me of your friend's dad trying to be down with it. At least it gave some hard info. As far as the games I suspect they have left that to E3 instead of blowing their entire wad on the label bashing, name dropping, MTV watching, Madden buying populace.
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #11 on: May 16, 2005, 06:41:16 AM

---

The replaceable nameplate thing on the XBox sounds awesome. So does the webcam. Seriously, whoever is coming up with these ideas just is not getting paid enough money! That's so so much better than lowering the price a bit. I cannot wait. Maybe I will get an awesome nameplate thing, then show it off to my online buds using the webcam - synergy!

All they need now is a built-in rock polisher.

Huh.  Well, that's something I didn't know...and it makes more sense.  Was just odd that the issue came in the mail and then the next day I"m reading about the movie and see that she's no longer in it.

Sometimes cause - effect is HARD.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #12 on: May 16, 2005, 09:43:52 AM

It's mostly only known inside organizations, but these kind of events are really only to impress senior executives and to ensure Marketing has "done-their-thing".  The fact there was no substance doesn't surprise me.  All sr execs who are onsite or participate in these things want to know is that 1) it seems expensive, 2) it seems hip, 3) it seems well publicized, but they never, ever take the time to rationally examine the presos beforehand.  They act only on "faith" alone (as it were) -- if everything seems fine, then they are assured Marketing "done-their-thing" and they can move on to the next thing.  Box checked.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2005, 09:45:29 AM by Soln »
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #13 on: May 16, 2005, 12:21:45 PM

Just watched the MTV special.

I felt like Microsoft was punching in my stomach.

It made me want to NOT buy the fucking thing.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #14 on: May 16, 2005, 12:27:54 PM

Just watched the MTV special.

I felt like Microsoft was punching in my stomach.

It made me want to NOT buy the fucking thing.

This is why I don't watch infomercials.  I'd be one Pocket Fisherman poorer.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #15 on: May 16, 2005, 12:42:48 PM

I forgot to post the addendum.

Definition: blingcocked - bling-cocked - being mentally raped in every orifice by a diamond-studded phallus with disco laser lights while Lil John stands behind you and screams out "YEAAA-AAAA-YAH!" every ten seconds.

Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: May 17, 2005, 06:30:42 AM

Serious thanks for being the martyr and enduring amazing suffering by watching the MTV shit for us Haemish. May your cockles ever remain bling free.

I thought the Xbox 360 was kinda cool until I saw the amazing hardware specs for the PS3. I'm a fan of the original Xbox and have never owned a PS. The specs on the PS3 make me wanna cash in one of my 401k accounts and splurge on dual monster HD tvs. Xbox 360 just looks like a shiny turd compared to the PS3 all slick and shiny. Of course, I'm easily influenced by slick and shiny. Sigh.

I'm leaving for the Olympic Peninsula in a couple of days and will be gone for 2 weeks -- away from networks and games. Maybe I'll come back and read about Microsoft "revisiting" the Xbox 360 after getting shamed by a lame press event and slammed by a fantastic looking and sounding PS3.

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
"A world without Vin Diesel is sad." -- me
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: May 17, 2005, 08:19:37 AM

Cmon now, we're not goddamn cavemen. We have internet cafes. And good food despite what some dipshit said a month ago.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
WayAbvPar

Reply #18 on: May 17, 2005, 09:06:39 AM

I'm leaving for the Olympic Peninsula in a couple of days and will be gone for 2 weeks -- away from networks and games.

Didn't you just go there? Still recommend Lanza's in Port Townsend if you have the time  smiley

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: May 17, 2005, 10:09:48 AM

I'm leaving for the Olympic Peninsula in a couple of days and will be gone for 2 weeks -- away from networks and games.

Didn't you just go there? Still recommend Lanza's in Port Townsend if you have the time  smiley

No -- earlier I was discussing this trip. I've had this planned since mid-Feb.

I will be checking out Port Townsend.

Quote from: TheWalrus
Cmon now, we're not goddamn cavemen. We have internet cafes. And good food despite what some dipshit said a month ago.

I'm deliberately getting away from networks and gaming and such. It's immensely important to my sense of sanity and especially my spiritual wellbeing to do so.

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #20 on: May 17, 2005, 11:25:51 AM

I thought the Xbox 360 was kinda cool until I saw the amazing hardware specs for the PS3.

If you know a game programmer with the PS3 kit and the 360 kit, ask them about the PS3 and see what sort of face they make.

Here's my mental scenario for how the PS3 Cell implementation came to be:
Sony: We want symmetrical multiprocessing in the PS3, what do you have?
IBM: *provides paper on solid POWER SMP architecture they already designed*
S: Neat!  How much?
I: One beeeellion dollars! *puts pinky to mouth*
S: Do you have anything less robust?
I: Give us a few months.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
schild
Administrator

Reply #21 on: May 17, 2005, 02:47:10 PM

After doing some of the math, there's merely a nominal difference between the 360 and PS3. And the Xbox will be capped out in terms of power 2 years in and it'll take 5 for people to figure out the PS3.
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: May 17, 2005, 05:28:46 PM

Goddammit now you people have shit all over my hope that I could make a decision about buying a console without having to fucking think.

Now I'm going to have to use more than my "me-like-shiney" rationale for spending money on this fucking junk when it's released.

(Wow. My language has really gotten foul lately. I think I have to stop listening on TS when playing GW.)

Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #23 on: May 17, 2005, 05:29:50 PM

I'll make it simple for you: buy all three.
schild
Administrator

Reply #24 on: May 17, 2005, 05:30:52 PM

Seriously. Picking and choosing is for pussies.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #25 on: May 17, 2005, 05:31:08 PM

I'll make it simple for you: buy all three.

Correct.  No kids 4t financial win.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #26 on: May 17, 2005, 05:31:22 PM

Does this mean you're buying a Revolution?
schild
Administrator

Reply #27 on: May 17, 2005, 05:31:51 PM

Three of them. Fuck this 360 and ps3 nonsense.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #28 on: May 17, 2005, 05:32:13 PM

Yeah! I'm getting a Phantom too!
schild
Administrator

Reply #29 on: May 17, 2005, 05:32:45 PM

Yeah! I'm getting a Phantom too!

Oh damn. Ok. Two Revolutions, one phantom and one flying car.
schild
Administrator

Reply #30 on: May 17, 2005, 05:33:23 PM

Seriously though, I'm pretty sure by revolution they mean "ok, shit, we couldn't handle the gamecube, we're turning around and remaking the original Nintendo. With downloadable games. And a pretty box. Fuck, the future is scary, man."
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Gaming Conferences and Conventions  |  E3 '05  |  Topic: You've Come a Long Way, Geekpants.  
Jump to: