Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:03:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Real Time Strategy experiments with a new Perimeter 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Real Time Strategy experiments with a new Perimeter  (Read 2072 times)
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

The Anne Coulter of MMO punditry

on: April 21, 2004, 03:56:16 PM

I've heard a bit of buzz about Perimeter lately, and recently tried out the demo myself.  

Basically, Perimeter is a real time strategy game that's trying to reinvent the rules from the ground up.   It seems to be fairly effective in these aims, because if you try to play it with your standard "build massive amounts of units and zerg" approach, you'll stop dead in your tracks when you run out of energy.    The approach is far more tied of energy conservation, terraforming land (the terrain is fully deformable), and trying not to make too many mistakes.    All the moving military units you have can actually transform into different units depending on their Officer, Soldier, and Technician composition, which adds yet another layer to complication.

Overall, I guess you could call this a real thinking man's RTS game, if Real Time can indeed be thought of as such.

schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: April 21, 2004, 04:16:36 PM

This sounds fucking cool. Downloading while waiting for a rikti to come woop my ass.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: April 22, 2004, 01:41:23 AM

Stumbled across this while waiting for my Ryzom beta client download from fileplanet.

Pros: it looks nice

Undecided: What the hell?!?!  Only 5 squads total?!?  And it is nearly impossible to create a mixed composition squad.......May take a bit of getting used to.

I have serious problems adapting to the whole Your squad is only ONE type of unit at a given time.  Sure, you can morph from heavy fighter, to flying interceptor, to sniper, but you cant have a single squad with more than one type.

I also find the squad management to be somewhat clunky.  there is no way to tell exactly how many of each base unit type you have in a squad in total without transforming back to basic types.....

Cons:  The landscape is WAYYYY to cluttered.  I am a fan of nice, neatly organized bases.  This thing is designed to make your entire base look like some kind of giant sprawling disaster of buildings.

I will keep messing around with the demo, but right now, it looks like some neat ideas, without much in the way of interesting gameplay to go along with them.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Real Time Strategy experiments with a new Perimeter  
Jump to: