Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:31:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: End of Beta Event 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: End of Beta Event  (Read 7480 times)
schild
Administrator

on: April 21, 2004, 03:03:16 PM

THIS IS SPECULATION

Now that that's out of the way. UFO's are appearing in Atlas Park. Looks like there may be a Rikti Invasion tonight probably around midnight or so. In other words I wanna see all the high level mains of the Bat Country people in Atlas Park. Got that? Good.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: April 21, 2004, 05:23:04 PM

Ooo, I was wondering if they'd use this.

The UFO invasion was the basis of last year's E3 playable demo. Everyone could create characters (character customization really hasn't changed in a year), but they entered the game I think with level 34 or 40 Powers, with no ability to advance. That level is a guess. I had Super Speed, Super Jump and Fly all at the same time. Plus full slots of powers.

Anyway, you were free to run around the city, but then the aliens started landing, people ran/flew to City Hall, and dished out the beaucoup damage on the plasma screens for all to see.

But why do you say tonight at midnight. I thought it was TOMORROW night that the beta ended? Unless they plan to do this UNTIL tomorrow night STARTING tonight?
Shurijo

Email
Reply #2 on: April 21, 2004, 07:23:31 PM

The pre-invasion has begun. The ships have been dropping off Hydras (the blob looking things found in the swamps of Perez Park) through-out all of the zones. I seen a group of 20+ lv 4 hydras appear in Atlas Park and slaughter some lv 2 hero that happen to be in the wrong spot. I've also heard sightings of these in Kings Row and Steel Canyon.

Edit: Official News from patcher

EMERGENCY. Military forces have confirmed that the creatures that suddenly appeared on the streets last night are linked to the Rikti. Intelligence sources believe that the Rikti will try a major strike on April 22nd from 7pm cst to 9pm (CDT). All heroes are asked to be present in the City Zones during this period to defend Paragon City.
Daydreamer
Contributor

Reply #3 on: April 21, 2004, 09:05:49 PM

And I had a god damned meeting right in the middle of it, preceeded by hours of lab work.  My life is teh suxx.

Immaginative Immersion Games  ... These are your role playing games, adventure games, the same escapist pleasure that we get from films and page-turner novels and schizophrenia. - David Wong at PointlessWasteOfTime.com
schild
Administrator

Reply #4 on: April 21, 2004, 09:55:31 PM

ahem,
Alrindel
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: April 22, 2004, 02:27:57 AM

Missed it.  Stupid time zones.
tar
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: April 22, 2004, 02:35:11 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but April 22nd 7pm CST hasn't happened yet has it?
SirBruce
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: April 22, 2004, 03:58:27 AM

No, the official "invasion event" hasn't happened yet.  These were some sort of preliminary, let's fuck with the players events in preperation events.

Well, I learned one thing: when you've got 30 mobs and 20 heroes all on the screen at once blasting away, it gets REALLY SLOW.  Not just FPS, but I mean, the server crawls.  So, expect a lot of lag.

Bruce
Alrindel
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: April 22, 2004, 05:12:43 AM

Yeah, that has been happening a lot in the Perez Park zone lately - I assumed they were deliberately stress-testing it, because there were never multiple instances of PP.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: April 22, 2004, 05:51:11 AM

Ok, is there any difference between the CDT and CST time zones? NC Soft seems to use both, yet they basically are the same thing (the former being Central Daylight U.S. and the latter being Central Standard U.S.). Are they just screwing with us by both adhering to and ignoring Daylight Savings Time (which is anachronistic and must die anyway)?

In any case, does anyone know when The final event will begin tonight? I've gotten into this Scrapper Martial Arts Dark Armor dude, and he's really fun, but if he hits even level 8 before the wipe, it'd be by blind stinkin' luck.
Aslan
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: April 22, 2004, 08:56:36 AM

My understanding is that CST is Central Standard Time, while CDT is Central Daylight Time.  Since we are in Daylight Savings time, the times are registered as CDT, whereas if this were winter and we were in Standard Time, it would be CST.  Course, I also thought the Shroud of Turin was real, so what the hell do I know.
daveNYC
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: April 22, 2004, 09:02:27 AM

Quote from: Aslan
My understanding is that CST is Central Standard Time, while CDT is Central Daylight Time.  Since we are in Daylight Savings time, the times are registered as CDT, whereas if this were winter and we were in Standard Time, it would be CST.  Course, I also thought the Shroud of Turin was real, so what the hell do I know.

Some states don't do daylight savings time.  I belive Michigan is one of them.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #12 on: April 22, 2004, 09:15:31 AM

The Shroud of Turin IS real.  It's the face smeared on it that's fake.  See?  You DO know something!

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: April 22, 2004, 11:29:34 AM

Just because I had a second, I decided that, yes, my brain does need to be fried:

http://www.answerbag.com/q_view.php/1483

"Daylight Saving Time, for the U.S. and its territories, is NOT observed in Hawaii, American Samoa, Guam, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, most of the Eastern Time Zone portion of the State of Indiana, and the state of Arizona (not the Navajo Indian Reservation, which _does_ observe). Navajo Nation participates in the Daylight Saving Time policy, due to its large size and location in three states."

At the same time though, I never realized it actually has some benefit beyond the olden-days of farm work:

http://webexhibits.org/daylightsaving/f.html
Aslan
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: April 22, 2004, 12:13:33 PM

Quote from: Signe
The Shroud of Turin IS real.  It's the face smeared on it that's fake.  See?  You DO know something!

I be teh smrat!
daveNYC
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: April 22, 2004, 12:23:06 PM

DST doesn't do a whole hell of a lot for farmers, they're still working from dawn til dusk (or longer) regardless of what time the sun actually comes up and down.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: April 22, 2004, 12:44:19 PM

Quote from: daveNYC
DST doesn't do a whole hell of a lot for farmers, they're still working from dawn til dusk (or longer) regardless of what time the sun actually comes up and down.

It's about the circadian rhythms of the animals.
Shavnir
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: April 22, 2004, 01:35:11 PM

I believe that DST was introduced by Ben Franklin to conserve on candle use.  However there is also a chance I'm being fucking retarted and thinking of something else.

EDIT : http://webexhibits.org/daylightsaving/c.html">Ha, I was right
EDIT2: Suck it schild.
schild
Administrator

Reply #18 on: April 22, 2004, 01:35:58 PM

Quote from: Shavnir
I believe that DST was introduced by Ben Franklin to conserve on candle use.  However there is also a chance I'm being fucking retarted and thinking of something else.

You can't make this shit up, folks.
Daydreamer
Contributor

Reply #19 on: April 22, 2004, 07:54:06 PM

Quote from: schild
ahem,

Complete this Syllogism:

Bugs:Car Windshields::Super Heros:???

Immaginative Immersion Games  ... These are your role playing games, adventure games, the same escapist pleasure that we get from films and page-turner novels and schizophrenia. - David Wong at PointlessWasteOfTime.com
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: April 22, 2004, 08:44:09 PM

OH OH, I know!

Really big carbon reinforced windshields!!!
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #21 on: April 22, 2004, 10:39:00 PM

Bugs are attracted to car windshields as superheros are attracted to diabolically transparent disguises.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: End of Beta Event  
Jump to: