Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 06:22:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: Fastest expansion ever? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fastest expansion ever?  (Read 7818 times)
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

on: May 05, 2005, 08:01:33 AM

Not even a year will have gone by and the level cap goes up. Don't get me wrong, I love new content. EQ2 has tons. Every time I play I am torn half a dozen ways about what quests I should work on or whether I should just exp. Also announced the next adventure pack for $7.99
SONY ONLINE ENTERTAINMENT ANNOUNCES THE FIRST EXPANSION PACK
AND SECOND ADVENTURE PACK FOR EVERQUEST®II

- Desert of Flames and The Splitpaw Saga Bring Even More Excitement To the Growing World of EverQuest II-

SAN DIEGO, CA – May 4, 2005 – Sony Online Entertainment Inc. (SOE), a worldwide leader in massively multiplayer online (MMO) gaming, today announced EverQuest®II Desert of Flames™ and EverQuest®II The Splitpaw Saga™, the first expansion pack and second adventure pack, respectively, for the critically acclaimed MMO EverQuest II. Scheduled for launch September 12th 2005, Desert of Flames has a suggested retail price of $29.99 and will be showcased at the upcoming Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) in Los Angeles. The Splitpaw Saga will be available only via digital download for just $7.99, and is scheduled for release June 28th 2005.

“Through our regular live updates for EverQuest II we’ve not only added a couple thousand quests and dozens of new adventure instances, we’ve changed the way people play our game with new features,” said Scott Hartsman, senior producer, Sony Online Entertainment. “Expansions and adventure packs, however, let us do even more. In Desert of Flames we’ve created a home for some great new player versus player gameplay, with some unique twists. The Splitpaw Saga does more than tell an interesting story; it also includes the addition of dungeon instances that scale to your group’s level. Both of these additions to EverQuest II let us do things we’ve never done before and we’re excited about our plans for the next six months.”

In Desert of Flames, players will experience exciting gameplay-changing features and can explore never-before-seen areas filled with new quests, monsters, and loot. Desert of Flames is centered around the newly discovered, vibrantly colorful city of Maj’dul. Set in an Arabian Nights theme, players can choose to battle in special new arenas either against other players or against creatures in a new style of player versus player combat. Other exciting features include a dozen new zones and epic encounters, over 40 new creatures, a level range increase to 60 for all players and new voice-over emotes for player characters.

The Splitpaw Saga is the second adventure pack for EverQuest II, following the success of EverQuest®II The Bloodline Chronicles, released by SOE in March 2005. Adventure packs offer players downloadable story-rich content whereas expansion packs add gameplay changing features and large amounts of land. The Splitpaw Saga leads players through a series of event-based zones by using moveable planks, crates, and barrels. These zones add both replay value and cater to players of all levels since the content dynamically scales to the level of the group..

*Valid Station Access subscribers may download adventure packs at no additional charge. Expansion and adventure packs require the full version of EverQuest II to play.

About EverQuest II Desert of Flames
EverQuest II is the next generation of massively multiplayer gaming, a huge online world where thousands of players come together for adventure and community. Featuring breathtaking graphics and a vast, beautiful game world to explore, as well as voices for almost all non-player characters, EverQuest II sets new standards in gameplay and immersion. Desert of Flames is the first expansion pack for EverQuest II.

The salt flats, mesas, spires and dunes in EverQuest II Desert of Flames provide the backdrop for exciting new adventures that will tell the tales of the people and creatures found in the Desert of Ro. Players of all classes can collect new creatures and pit them against each other in special arenas in the newly discovered city of Maj’Dul. Rather than watching the battle from the sidelines, players become the champion, slinging spells and wielding weapons in a variety of combat scenarios. Player characters can also take their chances against these fearsome creatures, or even challenge other players in battles for fame and glory. For the first time in an MMO, players will be able to scramble up crumbling cliffs in search of treasure and adventure in thrilling new zones all set within this colorful Arabian Nights theme. With new epic encounters designed for levels 45 and up, and the rumor of fearsome twin metallic dragons, there are plenty of exciting new activities for everyone to enjoy in EverQuest II Desert of Flames.

Key Features

Arena champions: Take the form of new exotic creatures, or fight as yourself, in battles for glory against other creatures or players.
New movement: Search for treasure and find adventure in new areas by climbing up and down walls for the first time in an MMO.
Voice-over emotes: Express yourself in a battle or expand your social circle with new voice emotes.
Guild vaults: Share the loot of a hard won battle with the rest of your guild members.
Level range increase: Now play up to level 60!
New land: Discover over a dozen new zones and epic encounters.
New creatures: Test your combat skills in battles with over 40 new fearsome creatures.
For more information, please visit www.desertofflames.com.

About EverQuest II The Splitpaw Saga
In The Splitpaw Saga, players will explore the collapsed caverns and twisted tunnels of Sundered Splitpaw. Throughout this adventure, the truth behind the dungeon’s mysterious demise is uncovered by using moveable planks, crates and barrels to work through a series of intriguing event-based zones. A ferocious clan of cannibalistic gnolls will stand in the way as players seek to destroy the greatest threat yet in Norrath's new history. Experience the adventure right away and meet new challenges a second time around since the encounters scale dynamically to match your level. The Splitpaw Saga is a unique adventure pack with an exciting storyline and plenty of action that solo players, groups, raids can enjoy for months to come.

Pre-order Features

Unlock the mysterious abductions of surface dwellers with the use of a glowing crystal shard that will increase in power as you progress through the adventure.
Gain access to your own solo instance and earn rewards before the full adventure begins.
Key Features

Two new dungeons with twelve additional instanced zones.
Event-based adventure that takes you through 12 different solo, group and raid instances surrounding the story of the Splitpaw.
A variety of new creatures to encounter.
Dozens of new scenario-based quests that take you right into the action.
Dozens of new tradeskill recipes.
Moveable Objects: Freely move crates, planks and barrels to solve puzzles and move through the rubble-strewn caverns.
Interactive Environments: Chop your way through barriers and use exploding barrels to destroy enemies or blast your way through tunnels.
Dynamic Content: Your foes scale to match your level! Face the dangers that Sundered Splitpaw presents all the way from level 20 to level 50.
For more information, please visit www.splitpawsaga.com.

I have never played WoW.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: May 05, 2005, 08:25:07 AM

Since beta they have said there would be 1-2 adventure packs out in the first year and 1 expansion. They plan for 2-4 adventure packs per year and 2 expansions per year after the initial year. I thought that sounded pretty optimistic but seeing the rate they have been banging out content in eq2 I don't see them having much problems making those goals. They deffinatly are on target for it now.

kaid
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: May 05, 2005, 08:39:15 AM

Yes, they are the most efficient dev team I've ever seen.

Too bad their working on Everquest Fuckin' 2.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #3 on: May 05, 2005, 08:52:32 AM

I frontpaged it, because I rarely read here first. :)

Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: May 05, 2005, 12:22:35 PM

The more holes in the ship, the faster you bail water.

...any religion that rejects coffee worships a false god.
-Numtini
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #5 on: May 05, 2005, 01:43:41 PM

Yep. Decent game in many ways, too. So long as you have a regular gaming group to play with every time you log on. Isn't that why we moved to CRPGs from AD&D in the first place? Full circle, baby. Now I guess I'll sit home and play D&D by myself.
jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: May 05, 2005, 03:43:47 PM

Yep. Decent game in many ways, too. So long as you have a regular gaming group to play with every time you log on. Isn't that why we moved to CRPGs from AD&D in the first place? Full circle, baby. Now I guess I'll sit home and play D&D by myself.

Very astute.

"I think my brain just shoved its head up its own ass in retaliation.
"  HaemishM.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: May 06, 2005, 01:47:52 AM

TRAIN!!

fucking gnolls.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Toast
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: May 10, 2005, 11:53:42 AM

Arena champions: Take the form of new exotic creatures, or fight as yourself, in battles for glory against other creatures or players.

This actually looks awesome. This looks to be the result of "Project M" where players can control mobs.

A good idea is a good idea forever.
jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: May 10, 2005, 03:16:03 PM

This actually looks awesome. This looks to be the result of "Project M" where players can control mobs.

I agree.  But the issue with these guys has always been about execution.  Something happens in the paper --> MMORPG translation.

"  HaemishM.
schild
Administrator

Reply #10 on: May 11, 2005, 02:03:42 AM

If any team can execute this in a workable fashion, it's this EQ2 dev team. Now, if it's fun - well, that's another thing. But There's a small chance I'll play it if it does turn out to be something new, different, and on the fun side for a bit.

I want this dev team to succeed. They make all other patchers look like amateurs, and that makes me feel good.
schild
Administrator

Reply #11 on: May 11, 2005, 02:04:22 AM

I agree.  But the issue with these guys has always been about execution.  Something happens in the paper --> MMORPG translation.

Paper -> Wipe Ass -> Rub on Keyboard.
jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: May 11, 2005, 05:37:01 AM

The great irony of all this is that EQ2 refuses to copy elements of WoW that existed in the Original EQ to begin with:

They're going to try and introduce pvp, because WoW is having success with it (or mailboxes etc.) but refuse to dispense with locked encounters or reintroduce the art of pulling into the game which WoW retained from EQ.

This team should not focus on potentially new elements that WoW has, but reintroduce elements from EQ that WoW has shown has mass market appeal.

"  HaemishM.
jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: May 11, 2005, 05:40:08 AM

If any team can execute this in a workable fashion, it's this EQ2 dev team. Now, if it's fun - well, that's another thing. But There's a small chance I'll play it if it does turn out to be something new, different, and on the fun side for a bit.

I want this dev team to succeed. They make all other patchers look like amateurs, and that makes me feel good.

Do you really mean this?  For throughput I agree.

For elegance and succesful execution - Blizzard and Cryptic win hands down in my mind.

"  HaemishM.
schild
Administrator

Reply #14 on: May 11, 2005, 02:22:42 PM

Whoa whoa whoa. Blizzard is executing good ideas badly (honor system).

SOE executes bad ideas well (in EQ2).

For elegance, if you're talking about graphics, I don't know. I hated WoW's "style." Not. Enough. Polygons (in very specific places).

As far as elegance in production, the EQ2 interface is wonderful, the ability to go widescreen and have your UI on black bars is superb and it's largly intuitive. Problem is the game itself. it's a bad idea. But once again, executed very well.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #15 on: May 11, 2005, 02:37:35 PM

I just wish the black bars actually helped framerate. So stupid to render behind them.

I have never played WoW.
schild
Administrator

Reply #16 on: May 11, 2005, 02:39:39 PM

I just wish the black bars actually helped framerate. So stupid to render behind them.

This I agree with and I wonder if they've even noticed.
Malathor
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: May 12, 2005, 06:31:13 AM

The great irony of all this is that EQ2 refuses to copy elements of WoW that existed in the Original EQ to begin with:

They're going to try and introduce pvp, because WoW is having success with it (or mailboxes etc.) but refuse to dispense with locked encounters or reintroduce the art of pulling into the game which WoW retained from EQ.

This team should not focus on potentially new elements that WoW has, but reintroduce elements from EQ that WoW has shown has mass market appeal.

It would seem one of the elements they need to reintroduce from EQ is raid content that is some kind of challenge. End game raid bosses should not be killable with single groups at this stage of the game, but they are. As is, people are hitting 50 and promptly quitting out of boredom.

"Too much is always better than not enough." -Dobbs
UD_Delt
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: May 12, 2005, 07:23:17 AM

It would seem one of the elements they need to reintroduce from EQ is raid content that is some kind of challenge. End game raid bosses should not be killable with single groups at this stage of the game, but they are. As is, people are hitting 50 and promptly quitting out of boredom.

Hmm... Maybe your guild is better equipped than ours but the Prismatic weapon quests (speak like a dragon) is taking two full groups and they are experiencing some failures even with those 2 full groups. I'm not of a level to participate myself yet but the guild is holding various multi-group raides twice a weak, mostly the maidens gulch raids for the primatics. They wouldn't be doing this if mobs were single group killable.
Malathor
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: May 12, 2005, 07:40:31 AM

Hmm... Maybe your guild is better equipped than ours but the Prismatic weapon quests (speak like a dragon) is taking two full groups and they are experiencing some failures even with those 2 full groups. I'm not of a level to participate myself yet but the guild is holding various multi-group raides twice a weak, mostly the maidens gulch raids for the primatics. They wouldn't be doing this if mobs were single group killable.

I was making a reference to this thread:

http://eqiiforums.station.sony.com/eq2/board/message?board.id=combat&message.id=47257

but your own statement is hardly a ringing endorsement of the challenge of EQ2's end game.

"Too much is always better than not enough." -Dobbs
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #20 on: May 12, 2005, 10:21:29 AM

My understanding of these single group raid successes is that the guilds involved have been 50 for many months and have absolutely all the best gear available to tailor to each fight. EQ raids were never difficult if you had excellent gear and new the correct tactics.

In other news, I went from 98% in 29 to 1% into 31 in less than 5 hours of dungeon exping (Nektropos Castle and Ruins of Varsoon.) The grind is dead, in my mind, IF you can get a group which I have no trouble doing. Soloing greens seriously blows, but it probably should since there is no risk of death whatsoever.

I have never played WoW.
UD_Delt
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: May 12, 2005, 11:00:32 AM

I was making a reference to this thread:

http://eqiiforums.station.sony.com/eq2/board/message?board.id=combat&message.id=47257

but your own statement is hardly a ringing endorsement of the challenge of EQ2's end game.

I can't access the thread from work so I don't know what it is talking about exactly. So, I guess I can just compare my personal experiences and experiences of guildmates vs. your third-hand critique of the game from the message boards.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: Fastest expansion ever?  
Jump to: