Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:12:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: I eat Nazi's for lunch..somedays 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I eat Nazi's for lunch..somedays  (Read 3742 times)
Xilren's Twin

on: April 20, 2004, 06:17:35 AM

Just wanted to post a note about missions.  Once of the nicest things about CoH is the way you can advance purely by doing missions, whether solo or grouped.  In fact, I'd say it's is far more fun to get a group together and help do everyone's missions than random patrolling other than in hazard zones.

That being said, got my first front loaded mission this morning before work taking on Col Adler and his nazi recruiters.  I'm a level 10 storm/elec defender atm and had to go through 5 lvl 11 minions and an orange 12 lt. (which means 13) just to get through the first hallway.  Their ranged gun attacks are tough and they melee just as effectively.  Died once, burned a lot of insiprations, zoned a bunch, but did it.  As I was getting ready to leave for work I found the laters halls/rooms had much more manageable lvl 8 - 10 mobs.  

Just made me wonder; is that intentional or simply random mission creation in action?  I've read various complains on the beta boards about it, but it hadn't seen it yet.  I suspect once of the first complaint threads seem on the release boards will be "need a way to delete missions/missions too hard!" whines.

So, what are your opinions thus far.  I tend to think they are ok where they are (they need to be challenging, but not impossible) outside of occasional location issues (i.e. if you get an indoor mission in perez park below level 10 you're probably in a world of trouble just trying to get there).  Bosses seem like a mixed bag; some I can take no problem my first try; others eat me up (like pyromanic).  And that one gang mission where you actually have to take 3 bosses (2 linked) was very very tough.  I have no idea what Col Adler will be like but I hope he has a monacle. How to missions scale as the levels go up (i.e whats a lvl 30 mission like?).  Do they types get even more varied (i.e. love the save hostages and disarm bomb timed missions)?

And as a side note, this afternoon for lunch I will be having Nazi stew.  Should any other hungry heroes want to join the buffet, I should be on around 1pm est in KR3. :)

Xilren (aka Tempestborn)

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
tar
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: April 20, 2004, 07:12:03 AM

I haven't gotten very far with characters yet, my highest is 12. With that in mind, my thoughts right now are that missions are just fine.

Initially (<=lvl4), they're easy to solo. With my scrapper I started having a few problems soloing missions around level 4-6ish, but which at level 12 has just gone back to being quite easy.

The problem was mostly down to power selection on my part I think. It was easy enough to get a group together to help with the tougher missions though, and a lot more fun too :) I just don't always have the time to group up.
Aslan
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: April 20, 2004, 07:57:18 AM

One thing that I have noticed on several missions is that the earliest mobs are the toughest, and as you progress further into the mission instance, the mobs get easier.  Por exemplo, my friend and I took a mission and the first mobs we saw inside were two yellows and an orange boss.  After a bit of work we finished those, and as we went in further, the mobs went white, then blue.  By the time we got to the end boss, all his minions were grey and he was green.  For some reason, it seems like the mission difficulties are inverted, where the strongest is the first ones to appear, and the boss is green.  I assume it's a bug of some kind, but I have seen it on several occasions...
Alrindel
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: April 20, 2004, 08:42:26 AM

Quote from: Xilren's Twin
Just made me wonder; is that intentional or simply random mission creation in action?

As far as I can tell, the placement of the spawn points, including the boss, is random.  Sometimes the boss(es) will be placed right by the entrance, sometimes right in the back.  I haven't personally come across that many "front-loaded" missions, but I haven't done a particularly huge sample or anything.

One thing I noticed this weekend, I was in a group with another level 11 and someone considerably lower (3 or 4?)  and we went to do his warehouse-fulla-Nazis mission in the AP newbie zone.  The mechanism for "balancing" the mission for our group seemed to be to spawn a LOT of enemies.  Pointless, since they were all grey con to us at 11, we just ran around one-shotting them.  I had expected it to scale the level of the enemies to match us, not the volume.
cevik
I'm Special

I've always wondered about the All Black People Eat Watermelons

Reply #4 on: April 20, 2004, 08:43:23 AM

Quote from: Aslan
One thing that I have noticed on several missions is that the earliest mobs are the toughest, and as you progress further into the mission instance, the mobs get easier.  Por exemplo, my friend and I took a mission and the first mobs we saw inside were two yellows and an orange boss.  After a bit of work we finished those, and as we went in further, the mobs went white, then blue.  By the time we got to the end boss, all his minions were grey and he was green.  For some reason, it seems like the mission difficulties are inverted, where the strongest is the first ones to appear, and the boss is green.  I assume it's a bug of some kind, but I have seen it on several occasions...

I had a mission exactly like this two nights ago.  The entryway split into three halls, protecting the end of each hall were two yellows and an orange.  I finally made it through those guys and everything past that was like a ton of whites that were super easy to kill.

The above space is available for purchase.  Send a Private Message for a complete price list and payment information.  Thank you for your business.
WayAbvPar

Reply #5 on: April 20, 2004, 09:31:22 AM

Once of the nicest things about CoH is the way you can advance purely by doing missions, whether solo or grouped. In fact, I'd say it's is far more fun to get a group together and help do everyone's missions than random patrolling other than in hazard zones.

I like the fact that you can do either missions or random patrols. They both have their positives...random allows me to jump on and play for 20-30 minutes without worrying if I will have time to finish a mission, while missions allow for a more in depth play experience when I have the time. Good balance.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Aslan
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: April 20, 2004, 11:49:36 AM

It is a good balance.  The only niggling complaint I would have is a certain lack of variety in missions and mobs.  Many of them are rather repetitive.  However, the basic game underneath all that is really fun.  And I know they will add in content as time goes on, and for once, that's good enough for me.   I remember Star Wars, the game just wasn't FUN, even at the outset.  I don't know how Cryptic knew how to code teh fun, but they did.
Fargull
Contributor

Reply #7 on: April 20, 2004, 12:26:47 PM

Hmm..

Have seen both high mobs up front to high mobs in the middle, to high mobs in the back.  The insane hunt the lone spanwed gimp mob in the middle of no where are the only missions so far that bother me.  Smash through the rest of the instance and then have to back track the one mob that somehow decided standing on a ledge in the back underneath the cooler with the pipe wrench.

Most of the missions have been a blast and as I am progressing up and the more contacts and thus more missions = the good.

Rolled a mutant fire/fire blaster and have been missioned against clockworks, which seem to have a weakness to the fire.

"I have come to believe that a great teacher is a great artist and that there are as few as there are any other great artists. Teaching might even be the greatest of the arts since the medium is the human mind and spirit." John Steinbeck
SirBruce
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: April 20, 2004, 03:01:16 PM

Twice my Blaster has wound up with no missions to do and about halfway to the next level, so I had to spend an entire day just killing stuff on the street to level for the next mission.  Also, some missions are really just too tough for their level, about 1-2 levels too soon IMHO.  Dr. Vazilokh was impossible for me to tackle alone; I had to team up with a level 19 guy.

Bruce
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: I eat Nazi's for lunch..somedays  
Jump to: