Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:40:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Beta client usable for early launch? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beta client usable for early launch?  (Read 5306 times)
tar
Terracotta Army

on: April 20, 2004, 05:21:02 AM

I've being doing some looking around, but I can't find anything official on this. Anyone here know if the pre-order beta cd-key and client will be enough to get access to the early start on the 25th?

There's a definite suggestion that since the retail outlets won't be selling the box until the 28th that the beta client/key will be enough. Since I wasn't able to get an actual, physical beta-box (I just got an email with the key and the link to the download) I'm still not sure if I'll be able to be in for those first days.

Question for anyone who got the pre-order box: did you get anything else (besides the client & key) with it that would shed some light on this situation?
Xilren's Twin

Reply #1 on: April 20, 2004, 05:39:02 AM

The beta client will be fine.  I'll try to dig up the official post but basically people who have registered their pre-order CD key simple login and play starting on the 25th and beyond, and they will have two weeks before they must have entered a retail CD key into their account to continue playing.

Xilren

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: April 20, 2004, 05:41:15 AM

For pre-release my understanding is that you need a CD key from the preorder disk.

You do not need the disk itself.

If you downloaded beta using a preorder key then you are ok.

If you downloaded beta using a closed beta key and do not have your preorder key yet then you are not ok.

Closed beta keys might be enough for name reservation - I don't know.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
tar
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: April 20, 2004, 05:55:02 AM

Excellent, thanks :)
DarkDryad
Terracotta Army

da hizzookup

Reply #4 on: April 20, 2004, 07:18:53 AM

Saweet! I was worried as I wont be in town on Friday or Sat on catass2justice  weekend.

BWL is funny tho.  It's like watching a Special Needs school take a field trip to a minefield.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: April 20, 2004, 09:01:00 AM

Good I was worried about this because I realized in all the excitement to get the pre-order box I didn't give any info on who I am to best buy.  So I was worried that I would get lost in the shuffle and not be able to catass2justice.  Hover it does look like I'll be out the $10 I spent on the pre-order.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
cevik
I'm Special

I've always wondered about the All Black People Eat Watermelons

Reply #6 on: April 20, 2004, 09:06:34 AM

Quote from: Murgos
Good I was worried about this because I realized in all the excitement to get the pre-order box I didn't give any info on who I am to best buy.  So I was worried that I would get lost in the shuffle and not be able to catass2justice.  Hover it does look like I'll be out the $10 I spent on the pre-order.

Ebgames didn't ask for any of my info, they just gave me a reciept to hand back in on shipping day.  Did you keep the pre-order reciept from Best Buy?  Most likely you just have to go turn that in.

The above space is available for purchase.  Send a Private Message for a complete price list and payment information.  Thank you for your business.
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #7 on: April 20, 2004, 09:14:26 AM

Yeah I asked when I got my box at best buy....

You just give them the receipt and they knock 10 bucks off the box price.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
WayAbvPar

Reply #8 on: April 20, 2004, 09:29:12 AM

Quote from: Xilren's Twin
The beta client will be fine.  I'll try to dig up the official post but basically people who have registered their pre-order CD key simple login and play starting on the 25th and beyond, and they will have two weeks before they must have entered a retail CD key into their account to continue playing.

Xilren

I hope that is the case- that is pretty damned painless. I don't want to jinx the shit out of them, but these cats seem like they are doing a lot of things right. Hope the other shoe doesn't drop 10 minutes after I buy the retail box!

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Alrindel
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: April 20, 2004, 09:55:03 AM

Quote from: Murgos
it does look like I'll be out the $10 I spent on the pre-order.

Yeah, I bought a pre-order CD-KEY on ebay, so there's no way i can actually turn that into $10 off a box purchase.  I don't care, though, I've had far more than $10 of entertainment out of it so far.
Aslan
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: April 20, 2004, 11:51:53 AM

Umm, if somehow my reciept got lost in the trash, but I still have my pre-order box with the best buy sticker on it and the unique cd-key, will that be enough to get my 10 dollars off, or did I just basically pay 10 bucks extra for beta?
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #11 on: April 20, 2004, 12:27:06 PM

That would depend on their pre-order policy.

In theory, customer service should be able to scan the barcode and call up the original receipt, if they give you hassle just try to talk to a manager.

In practice, unless you're good at working the retail machine, you may have just paid ten bucks extra.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #12 on: April 20, 2004, 11:22:49 PM

Anyone know ship dates on preorders or store shelf dates?

Apparently to play past the 3-day thing, you need the retail key.

I have a gamestop preorder I can cancel or have come to my office, or I can just go to best buy and save my 10 bucks I already put down.

I can't find squat about it and I need to know soon enough to cancel this preorder if I can just run to Best Buy Sun, Mon, or Tues during the day.

schild
Administrator

Reply #13 on: April 20, 2004, 11:38:00 PM

Don't cancel the Gamestop preorder til you get a copy. You can just tell them you don't want to buy it and they'll give you your money back.
Leaddore

Email
Reply #14 on: April 21, 2004, 04:47:28 AM

Quote from: CmdrSlack
Anyone know ship dates on preorders or store shelf dates?

Apparently to play past the 3-day thing, you need the retail key.

I have a gamestop preorder I can cancel or have come to my office, or I can just go to best buy and save my 10 bucks I already put down.

I can't find squat about it and I need to know soon enough to cancel this preorder if I can just run to Best Buy Sun, Mon, or Tues during the day.

From what I read somewhere (I will try and find a link in a bit) You have 2 weeks from launch to input a retail key into your pre-order account, so you should be able to play just fine until your pre-order from GS arrives, which should be just after launch since they are sending it on the 27th and most of us should have the free 2 day shipping
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Beta client usable for early launch?  
Jump to: