Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 10:44:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Hellgate: London  |  Topic: Hellgate: London broke my fanboi meter. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hellgate: London broke my fanboi meter.  (Read 26943 times)
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #35 on: May 05, 2005, 04:20:46 PM

It's not twitch.

Just read it. So sorry.

So So So So Sorry.

Won't stop me from playing and loving every minute of it though.

The way I read it, sounded like twitch with lots of autoaim, and behind the scenes factors for to-hit.

Like that's not confusing.
schild
Administrator

Reply #36 on: May 05, 2005, 04:50:33 PM

No Twitch. Zero. None. It's FPDiablo.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #37 on: May 05, 2005, 05:26:57 PM

Didn't they say there was twitch but they wouldn't let it be effected?  By making all the weapons AoE, or inaccurate as hell, or homing or lock-on?

I dont get it still...  So its fps but you can't aim???  ARG!@!!

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
schild
Administrator

Reply #38 on: May 05, 2005, 05:29:10 PM

I don't mind. If it plays like Diablo from a first-person view, I'll probably play it for a good 4 years. I just wish there was a way to drop into third person. Half the fun was seeing your toon get awesomer and....awesomer...
Rodent
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: May 05, 2005, 05:38:42 PM

Here's hoping it won't mess up your index finger like Diablo did.

Wiiiiii!
schild
Administrator

Reply #40 on: May 05, 2005, 05:39:50 PM

I went through 4 mice with Diablo 1 & 2. They broke shortly after the entire area's color got warn off and reshined to a nice glistening gray. All said, Diablo cost me over $400. 3 copies of the game - which I kept losing til I started keeping game boxes. One of the battle chests, 2 mouse pads and 4 mice. Yeeee ha.
Rodent
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: May 05, 2005, 05:47:48 PM

I went through 4 mice with Diablo 1 & 2. They broke shortly after the entire area's color got warn off and reshined to a nice glistening gray. All said, Diablo cost me over $400. 3 copies of the game - which I kept losing til I started keeping game boxes. One of the battle chests, 2 mouse pads and 4 mice. Yeeee ha.

Impressive! I think I went through one or two mouses before picking up a Logitech Mouseman ( the ugly white and purple version with 4 buttons and no mousewheel ), that thing was undestroyable I tell ya. I dropped it on the floor, I almost broke my hand punching it, and my dog would sometimes attack it. Still have it, and far as I know it still works.

The no twitch thing scares me, it better not sport some lameass lock-on feature. It'd be torture in first person.

Wiiiiii!
Shmtur
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: May 05, 2005, 10:03:43 PM

If it is that good of a game, someone will mod it to fix it to be the game it should be.

Or so I can hope.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #43 on: May 05, 2005, 10:40:51 PM

Wait, semi-interactive? Twitch skill not needed?

Count me out.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: May 06, 2005, 12:10:49 AM

I don't mind. If it plays like Diablo from a first-person view, I'll probably play it for a good 4 years. I just wish there was a way to drop into third person. Half the fun was seeing your toon get awesomer and....awesomer...

Are you sure you read the article?

You go 3rd person pretty often to weild melee.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: May 22, 2005, 07:22:03 AM

Incase your fanbois meter hadn't been fully pegged out yet..

http://www.hellgatelondon.com/downloads.html

I seriously recommend the extra-large trailer.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: May 22, 2005, 09:50:40 AM

Incase your fanbois meter hadn't been fully pegged out yet..

http://www.hellgatelondon.com/downloads.html

I seriously recommend the extra-large trailer.

/tilt
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #47 on: May 22, 2005, 10:11:51 AM

Having played Hellgate, I'd say that it does have some twitch.  It plays like any other FPS (with third-person mode for melee weapons a la Bloodlines), but the bad guys don't move very quickly, so little to no aiming skill is needed to get your crosshairs over them.  Many of the guns also fire in "cones", which makes it even easier.  There might have been some autoaim in there too, but I didn't really notice it.

Basically, it feels like an FPS on super-duper-easy mode.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: May 22, 2005, 11:34:53 AM

Having played Hellgate, I'd say that it does have some twitch.  It plays like any other FPS (with third-person mode for melee weapons a la Bloodlines), but the bad guys don't move very quickly, so little to no aiming skill is needed to get your crosshairs over them.  Many of the guns also fire in "cones", which makes it even easier.  There might have been some autoaim in there too, but I didn't really notice it.

Basically, it feels like an FPS on super-duper-easy mode.

Does that mean that people with greater skill will wtfpwn ?
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #49 on: May 22, 2005, 11:39:26 AM

When the FPS aspect is that easy, greater skill becomes irrelevant very quickly - it doesn't matter that you can hit a dime from a mile away with an AWP and your opponent can't if you're both using guns with a 90-degree arc of fire and/or autoaim.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: May 22, 2005, 12:58:00 PM

When the FPS aspect is that easy, greater skill becomes irrelevant very quickly - it doesn't matter that you can hit a dime from a mile away with an AWP and your opponent can't if you're both using guns with a 90-degree arc of fire and/or autoaim.

Good point.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: May 23, 2005, 08:11:20 AM

Looks interesting - But I'm not seeing any sort of release date in the next 6-8 months.

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: May 23, 2005, 08:26:22 AM

Yeah, I doubt if we will see it before 2006 which sucks because there are only 3 or 4 things I got interested in this E3 and they are all looking like 2006 at the earliest.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #53 on: May 23, 2005, 08:43:21 AM

Yeah but at least I get the satisfaction of "Feeling" like I'm aiming...

Oh and if you can dodge return fire its all good, I want to use akimbo deagles with +60-70 poison dmg and a dot and a chain lightning effect that can hit up to 5 nearby targets for 33-99 oh and modified with big drum clips so I can fire 35 rounds before I need to reload.  Perhaps a single shot missile launcher slung underneath wouldn't be a bad idea either...

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
StGabe
Terracotta Army

Bruce without the furry.

Reply #54 on: May 23, 2005, 09:29:25 AM

Most singleplayer demos at E3 are easy so I wouldn't hold that against the game.  They don't want you to start the demo and immediately die and frankly they often care more about demo'ing to press, potential investors and corporate types, i.e. not hardcore gamers, and so they have little reason to setup really intense or difficult gaming experiences.  This game is also still a ways out (both guys I talked to said not this year for sure and said that surely enough that I wouldn't be surprised if we're waiting more than a year more for this).

There are splash and auto-aiming capable weapons but not all weapons are like this.  Most of the weapons I used required aiming.  The most extreme example being a grenade launcher where you actually had to aim up above your target quite a bit in order to arc the grenade up and get any distance on it.  Once the grenade lands it deals splash damage .... but there is still a goodly amount of skill to aiming it.

Also, they are not stressing PvP action.  That's an important part of all this.  The primary multiplayer component will apparently be supporting a team in a co-op mode or doing things like killing monsters the fastest in a competitive PvE mode.  So a lot of the "skill" discussions relevant to PvP aren't necessarily relevant (it wouldn't surprise if they do end up putting PvP in but I don't think they intend to really spend a ton of time balancing it -- one programmer alluded to Diablo 2 saying, "yeah we just put PvP in at the end and it kind worked but it wasn't really supposed to be that well balanced").  I do think it will be skill-based but a lot of that skill may be in how you setup your abilities (see my E3 thread for how that works) and being an efficient, effective PvE'er.

Gabe.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #55 on: April 09, 2006, 02:27:38 AM

Necro!

1up posted a recent video interview with Bill Roper:

http://www.1up.com/do/download?cId=3139172

The interview's not all that interesting but it does show some more up-to-date gameplay footage and shows how some of the "autoaiming"/autotracking weaponary will work.
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: April 09, 2006, 09:05:19 PM

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: April 09, 2006, 11:10:40 PM

Altered Beasts ruled.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #58 on: April 10, 2006, 10:43:55 AM

Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #59 on: April 11, 2006, 01:01:28 AM

That was a fucking kickass game.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Hellgate: London  |  Topic: Hellgate: London broke my fanboi meter.  
Jump to: