Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:57:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Stupid Newb Questions 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stupid Newb Questions  (Read 9084 times)
Venkman
Terracotta Army

on: April 17, 2004, 04:43:23 PM

I plan to do this research. Really. There's so much I don't know it's embarassing :) But, I figured I'd ask here for answers on the biggest questions I have:

1) Is there any way to unspec/respec? If not, are there plans to integrate it later?

2) What is Super Jump and how do I get it?

3) What does dual-original do for me? Is it still in? Should I care?

4) What is the end-game? Is it missions throughout?

On #4, I really am just more academically interested than am implying it matters. The game is fun as fuck as is. It's like Planetside meets Grand Theft Auto, and I love it. I'm just curious on whether things radically change at the highest levels, or if there's content dedicated to that crowd that's different from missions and city saving.
addryc
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: April 17, 2004, 07:10:23 PM

I'll try and answer these as best I can though some of the higher-level-types will know better:

1)  No way to do it currently that I KNOW OF.  No idea if they're going to (Though I think its a great idea!)

2) Super Jump is like the 3rd power in the Jumping Power Pool - Power Pools open up at level 6 but you can only get one of the first two of a pool at that level - you can get the 3rd power at level 14 and the 4th at level 22 (I think) - I believe Super Jump is the 3rd power but I'm not 100% - I'll check in game next time I can :)

3) Dual Origin Enhancements are better than the generic enhancements - they start dropping at around level 10-15 - they are dual in that two origins can use it - single origin enhancements are considerably rarer and start dropping at a much higher level.

4) End-game - I believe its mostly about doing epic quest-type things in Task Forces (Bigger groups/multiple groups these are I believe) - taking down arch villains etc.  Missions are DAMN fun in this game though :)
Alrindel
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: April 17, 2004, 08:08:43 PM

Statesman posted on the beta boards that they do plan to implement skill respeccing after release.  It'll be a special mission/quest reward.

The endgame is basically high-level raiding with regular additions of new, storyline-based epic missions ("Trials").  As far as I know, a lot of the high level content that is planned is not finished yet and will be patched in later (I think they've got content for up to about level 40, where the stuff for levels 40-50 will be added after release).  Whether or not they'll be able to add enough new, fun content to keep everybody happy and resubscribing, of course, remains to be seen.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: April 17, 2004, 10:32:48 PM

Quote from: addryc

2) Super Jump is like the 3rd power in the Jumping Power Pool - Power Pools open up at level 6 but you can only get one of the first two of a pool at that level - you can get the 3rd power at level 14 and the 4th at level 22 (I think) - I believe Super Jump is the 3rd power but I'm not 100% - I'll check in game next time I can :)

Close but not quite.  There are 10 classes of powers in the power pool.  Four off them are Jumping, Flying, Speed and Teleportation.  Each of these classes has 4 powers in it.  For example Teleportation has Teleport Foe, Teleport Friend, Teleport Self and Group Teleport.

You can have a maximum of four power pool classes (not powers, you could have all 16 powers from those power pool classes if you wanted to).  You can choose a new class at level 6, 10, 16 and 24.  If you dont choose a class when you the chance opens (Ie.e at level 10 for instance) its ok you can shoose it the next time you get a new power to choose (like at level 12 for instance).

The first two powers in a power pool class can be choosen at any time you have a power choice to make from leveling but there are minimum requirements for the 3rd and 4th powers.  You must have one of the first two powers and be level 14 before you can chose the power in the third position in the class (i.e teleport self in the above example).  You must have both the first two powers and be level 20 to choose the fourth power slot (i.e. group teleport).

That clearer now?  Its not really that complicated once youve seen it action.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: April 18, 2004, 08:29:30 AM

Thanks guys. The above plus the Hero Planner answered almost everything.

I just have one more question, on the Power Enhancement thing: If three (5) Enhance Damage enhancements and one (10) Enhance Damage one, what am I better off doing:
    [*]Applying the first (5) and then Combining it with the second to for a (5++) bonus to the power?
    [*]Applying the (10) enhancement?[/list:u]
    I'm basically wondering what the (++) means.
    eldaec
    Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: April 18, 2004, 08:44:23 AM

Stolen shamelessly from another site, where it had been stolen from the beta boards....

Quote from: TenaciousMike

1) What is an Enhancement?

An Enhancement to a power is just that, something that Enhances a particular aspect of a power. Putting a Damage Enh. on a power increases the amount of damage it does, putting a Range Increase Enh. on a power will increase it's range, etc.

2) What do the numbers on the Enhancement mean?

The numbers correspond to your Combat Level (the level at which you fight). An "average" Enhancement is going to be the exact same number as your combat level. Example: Plantman is Level 5. He has a Generic Level 5 Damage Enhancement in his main attack, his main attack is now 10% better. If Plantman was level 20, and had a Generic Level 20 Damage Enhancement in his main attack, his main attack would still be only 10% better. Having an Enhancement OVER your level gives you a slightly bigger boost, and under your level is not-as-big-a boost (but a boost nonetheless)

3) What do the Colors of the numbers mean?

Colors determine how strong the Enhancement is to your level. Green numbers are Strong or Very Strong, White numbers are Average, Yellow numbers are Weak or Very Weak, and Red means unusable. Enhancements are red for two reasons:

You are more than 3 levels above the Enhancement's number (and so it provides 0 benefit),
    You are not high enough level to use it yet (you can only use an Enhancement 3 levels above your current Combat level).
    It will tell you below the Enhancement's description why you can not use it.

4) How do I upgrade my Enhancements?

There are two ways to upgrade Enhancements, replacing or combining.

4a) How do I replace an Enhancement?

Simply drag the new one over the old one and it will slot in over the old Enhancement, destroying the old one in the process.

4b) How do I combine an Enhancement?

Click on the Power Name on the Enhancement Screen, this will bring up the Combine interface. Select the Enhancement you want to combine and your inventory will highlight combinable Enhancements. Select the one you wish to combine and then you will see the percentage chance of success. Click Combine and you will merge the two Enhancements together.

When merging same-level Enhancements, the chance of success is 100%

When merging different-level Enhancements, the chance of success drops.

The merging always treats the highest level Enhancement as the Parent one (even if you had a lower level one slotted in). If the Combine fails, then the Parent will live, destroying the other one. Example: You have a Level 11 Enhancement slotted in, and try to combine it with a Level 13. If the combining fails, the Level 13 Enhancement gets slotted in, and the 11 is destroyed. If it succeeds, you will have a Level 14 Enhancement (displayed as 13+).

5) I combined a couple Enhancements, now the number has a + on it instead of going to a higher level, what does this mean?

Treat the + as "+1". So a 13+ is the exact same in functionality as a 14.

5a) What are the +'s for then, why not just display "14"?

Because any Enhancement can only be combined TWICE, so a 13++ can not be combined any further. You will never see a "+++", as that denotes 3 Combines were performed on this Enhancement.

5b) So what is better, a 13++ or a 15?

Functionally, they are the same. Both provide the exact same bonus to the power. The sole exception is that a 13++ will never get any bigger, and eventually you will outgrow it. The 15 is "better" because it can become up to a 17 (displayed as 15++) and thus last your character longer.

5c) I am level 10. I have a level 13 Damage Enhancement in my power. I want to combine it with my level 7 Damage Enhancement, but the level 10 Damage Enhancement slotted in my power is grayed-out in the Combine interface. Why can’t I combine my level 13 Damage Enhancement to make it a 13+?

You can only use Enhancements that are 3 levels above your combat level. If you are level 10, they highest level Enhancement you are allowed to use is a 13. You are not allowed to improve this to a 13+ because you are not high enough level. When you advance to level 11, you will then be allowed to combine the level 13 Damage Enhancement.

6) Can I take an Enhancement OUT of a power?

No, once used it becomes part of your character, part of his 'back story' as it is. The only place you can move an Enhancement from a power is the Trash Can to destroy it.

7) What classes of Enhancements are there?

There are 3 classes of Enhancements, Generic (aka Training), Dual-Origin, and Single Origin.

Generics provide the weakest bonus to a power of the three classes.

Dual-Origin provide a bigger increase to the power than Generic. It is ALWAYS better to have a Dual-Origin Enhancement slotted in than a Generic one, even if the Dual-Origin one is lower level than the Generic.
    Single Origin provide the largest increase to a power. It is ALWAYS better to have a Single Origin Enhancement slotted in than a Dual-Origin or Generic one, even if the Single Origin one is lower level than the Dual-Origin or Generic.

7a) I slotted in a Generic 17 over my Dual-Origin 12++, and my power got WORSE, what happened?

This bears repeating: It is ALWAYS better to have a Dual-Origin Enhancement slotted in than a Generic one, even if the Dual-Origin one is lower level than the Generic. In addition, it is ALWAYS better to have a Single Origin Enhancement slotted in than a Dual-Origin or Generic one, even if the Single Origin one is lower level than the Dual-Origin or Generic.

8) What kinds of Dual Origin and Single Origin Enhancements are there?

Cybernetics- Single Origin, Tech
    Inventions - Dual-Origin, Tech and Science
    Experiments - Single Origin, Science
    Genetic Alterations - Dual-Origin, Science and Mutant
    Secondary Mutations - Single Origin, Mutant
    Focus - Dual-Origin, Mutant and Magic
    Dimensional Entities - Single Origin, Magic
    Relics - Dual-Origin, Magic and Natural
    Techniques - Single-Origin, Natural
    Gadgets - Dual-Origin, Natural and Tech
    So a Magic Origin character can use Training (Generic), Focus, Entity, and Relic Enhancements.

9) How can I easily tell if I can use an Enhancement for my Origin?

Look at the border of the Enhancement's Icon. Each Origin has a unique border on an Enhancement. You can quickly look at the Enhancement and see if it fits your Origin.

10) How many different kinds of Enhancements are there?

There are currently 27 different kinds of Enhancements. The "Power 5" are the ones that appear most commonly, and are used in the largest % of powers. These are: Endurance Reduction, Recharge Reduction, Range Increase, Damage Increase, and Accuracy Increase.

11) Can I put 2 Recharge Reductions into one power? Can I put two (any type of Enhancement) into one power?

Yes, and their effects stack. Example: If your power has two slots, you can put two Damage Increase Enhancements in it to greatly increase the damage (the downside is that you are not reducing it's Endurance, Recharge rate, or making it more Accurate).

11a) Is it better to have 2 Enhancements of the same type, or should I combine them?

It is better to have 2 Enhancements of the same type than to combine them. Example: Having a level 12 Generic Damage Enhancements and a 13+ Generic Damage Enhancements will give you a better bonus to damage than merging them into a 13++ Damage Enhancements. However, this would open up an Enhancements slot and allow you to put something else into that power if you so wanted. The only exception to this rule is if one or both of the Enhancements are more than 3 levels below your combat level (the Enhancement should be red in color). If an Enhancement is more than 3 levels below your level, it is not giving your power any bonus and it should be destroyed or combined with something else.

12) I seem to get a lot of Enhancements I can't use, what do I do with them?

You have a few options. The easiest is to throw them away. Simply drag them to the Trash Can on the Enhancement screen and they are gone forever. You can also trade them to friends who can use them. Or you can sell them at a Store.

13) A store? You mean like the store my Contact has?

Your contacts don't buy Enhancements, they only sell them alongside Inspirations. You need to find one of the in-game stores to sell your Enhancements. Near Ms. Liberty and Back Alley Brawler are Freedom Corp Trainers who you can sell Enhancements to. Other Stores are physical locations in the game, not NPCs. These stores also sell all 27 types of Enhancements, so if you have an obscure power that you want to enhance, but can't find the right Enhancement for it, go to a Store and buy it. Stores only sell Enhancements in 5 level increments.

14) Where do I get Dual-Origin and Single Origin Enhancements?

Dual-Origin's start dropping off of villains at around 10th level, but they are rare. Single Origins start dropping around 30th level, but, again, they are rare. Generics stop dropping at 30th level. You can buy Dual-Origin Enhancements at Stores starting at 15th level.

15) Is there a way I can guarantee what kind of Origin Specific Enhancement I get?

Yes, by fighting a select Villain group, then you will receive an above-average number of Origin Specific Enhancements, at the levels that those drop. In other words, fighting high level Circle of Thorns will see that you get an above-average number of Magic usable Enhancements. Every Origin has one group like this.

So, I think you are better off with the 10.

5++ = effectively 7, but cannot be combined any further.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
    "Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
    Shurijo

Email
    Reply #6 on: April 18, 2004, 11:38:50 AM

Quote from: eldaec
    5++ = effectively 7, but cannot be combined any further.

I'm have been able to combine a 5++ with an 8, to get an 8+. I think you just need to combine it with the level + 1, when it is ++. (You also need to be level + 2 to do this, I think, so you would need to be lv 9).
    SirBruce
    Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: April 18, 2004, 03:39:07 PM

You can't turn a ++ into a +++.  But, if you have a HIGHER level enh, you can combine it into the HIGHER level enh.  So if you have a 5++, and you get a 7, you can combine the 7 and the 5++.  If it fails, the 7 takes the slot; if it succeeds, you get a 7+.  But that's really just the 7, not the 5, getting combined.  Note too that you'll need to be high enough level to improve a 7; you're not improving a 5.

Bruce
    schild
    Administrator

Reply #8 on: April 18, 2004, 03:57:29 PM

a 7 as a 5++ has a 100% chance of succeeding. There is no chance for failure. You will always get a 7+.
    Morfiend
    Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #9 on: April 18, 2004, 04:36:15 PM

Damnit, you fuckers need to stop playing and post more. I have nothing to read while at work.
    schild
    Administrator

Reply #10 on: April 18, 2004, 04:51:12 PM

It's a known fact that rantsites (even though we don't rant much given Cryptic's entry into the MMORPG world) die on weekends. We're talking like 10% of normal traffic. it don't make no sense - unless everyones playing CoH...
    Venkman
    Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: April 18, 2004, 08:12:08 PM

Thanks for cross-posting that eldaec. I get it now :)
    Venkman
    Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: April 20, 2004, 06:23:59 AM

Last question. Really.

Ok, last question for today. Or, before lunch.

What does Origin affect? All I've been able to dig up is a bunch of lore/RP stuff which, while cool, doesn't describe if there's any sort of innate bonuses or anything.

Does Origin affect character customization options?
    Does Origin affect Missions I can take or NPC Contacts I meet?
    Does Origin affect the potential of Primary or Secondary Powers or Power Pools?
    Xilren's Twin

Reply #13 on: April 20, 2004, 06:35:39 AM

Quote from: Darniaq
    Last question. Really.

Ok, last question for today. Or, before lunch.

What does Origin affect? All I've been able to dig up is a bunch of lore/RP stuff which, while cool, doesn't describe if there's any sort of innate bonuses or anything.

Does Origin affect character customization options?
    Does Origin affect Missions I can take or NPC Contacts I meet?
    Does Origin affect the potential of Primary or Secondary Powers or Power Pools?

There were originally plans for it to affect more, but basically now the only affect it has is determining what contacts you get and your primary foe groups.  So, if you pick magic you will get Circle of Thorns missions and such, Natural gets a lot of 5th column, etc.  The various foe groups have an increased chance to drop enhancements related to your origin (i.e you would get more DO and SO for magic enhancements from the same Circle of Thorn enemies.

Xilren

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
    Venkman
    Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: April 20, 2004, 11:05:41 AM

Ah cool. Thanks. I'm still undecided on my origin. While I think it's cool that Circle of Thorn groups only come out at night, I may find that annoying if I get too many CoT missions :)

I suppose I could like base the decision on roleplay or something too...
    kaid
    Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: April 20, 2004, 12:46:47 PM

Right now origin does three things.

First the contacts you get and the storylines you get opened are based on origin. Things such as magic background people fight lost pantheon and the circle of thorns more than other backgrounds.

Titles. at I think 24 or 25 you can get origin specific titles. At level 15 anybody can choose a generic title from a list and at the 24 or 25 mark you get a list specific to your origin. For my main I have the title The Startling Supernatural Psistorm. Different origins get some very different super heroic sounding titles. Some of the mutation titles are very humerous and are good for a chuckle.

Enhancer origins. At higher level you mainly use dual origin and single origin enhancers. So when something drops it may only be usable to mutants/science or magic/tech or other combos. Also at the higher levels such as 34 you need to do a quest to unlock high level vendors which are origin specific.

Eventually once they get the tailoring thing in I fully expect to see a number of costum options that are limited to specific origins.

Kaid
    Venkman
    Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: April 20, 2004, 01:20:08 PM

Thanks kaid.

"the tailoring thing". Are there any details available for this? Like, is it going to be a quest, skill, etc?
    Alrindel
    Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: April 21, 2004, 02:43:25 AM

Quoth the lead designer, Statesman:
    Q. Will we be able to access the tailor anytime after completing say a certain mission?
    A. Yes - though there will be a number of tailors for the different level ranges.

Q. Will it be a one time only change deal or can we go back as much as we want?
    A. Much as you want within those level ranges.

Q. Will it hopefully not cost too much influence or cost any at all?
    A. Some Influence - not as much as Enhancements, though.

Q. Will it give us ALL the features of the character generator even the ability to switch genders, height, muscularity? (The reason I ask is because maybe it's possible to make a scrawny hero into a more muscular one for character development.)
    A. No - just the costume.

Q. Will the tailor also be accessed at early levels or do we have to wait until we hit level 40? (If we have to wait until 40 I might as well just start off with my hero all suited up because that's quite a long trek.)
    A. At early levels.

So if I understand that right, there will be NPC tailors available for different level ranges, and each one must be unlocked with a one-time quest.
    WayAbvPar

Reply #18 on: April 21, 2004, 09:36:31 AM

Heh- that just extended Signe's subscription a couple of months. She can tinker with her costumes to her heart's content now.

That was always one of the things I liked about UO- dicking around with a dye tub and a backpack full of clothes. Nothing says adventure like a New Look!

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
    cevik
    I'm Special

I've always wondered about the All Black People Eat Watermelons

Reply #19 on: April 21, 2004, 09:46:58 AM

Quote from: WayAbvPar

That was always one of the things I liked about UO- dicking around with a dye tub and a backpack full of clothes. Nothing says adventure like a New Look!

I always knew you were one of them queers.

The above space is available for purchase.  Send a Private Message for a complete price list and payment information.  Thank you for your business.
    Signe
    Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #20 on: April 21, 2004, 09:56:19 AM

I don't tinker.  I create art... and then I usually blow it up.  As you can see, I am one of those girly girls.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
    WayAbvPar

Reply #21 on: April 21, 2004, 10:44:22 AM

Quote from: cevik
    Quote from: WayAbvPar

I always knew you were one of them queers.

I wish I had screen shots of some of the get ups I put together. I dig me some bright, clashing colors! I think I am part Wheel of Time Tinker.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
    Venkman
    Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: April 21, 2004, 12:06:56 PM

MrHat
    Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #23 on: April 21, 2004, 01:03:43 PM

haha, that was way funny.

Did you see the one he did on travel in CoH ? Also very funny.
    SirBruce
    Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: April 21, 2004, 05:45:07 PM

Bruce
    Venkman
    Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: April 22, 2004, 08:06:25 PM

Another stupid newb question:

Do we ever get any more than 8 Inspiration slots?
    Daydreamer
    Contributor

Reply #26 on: April 22, 2004, 10:43:28 PM

Yep, it slowly expands with your carrier.  I remember mine went from 4 x 2 slots to 5 x 2 slots at 10.

Immaginative Immersion Games  ... These are your role playing games, adventure games, the same escapist pleasure that we get from films and page-turner novels and schizophrenia. - David Wong at PointlessWasteOfTime.com
    Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
    f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Stupid Newb Questions  
    Jump to: