Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 15, 2024, 10:25:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Game Design/Development  |  Topic: The many faces of ESRB 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The many faces of ESRB  (Read 4798 times)
MaceVanHoffen
Terracotta Army

on: April 14, 2005, 01:33:55 PM

There's a rather interesting piece I found on the Hollywood Reporter (linked from Slashdot) entitled "Video game rating board don't get no respect".  It discusses the differing perceptions of the ESRB among game developers, the general public, and politicians.  It's too long to completely repost, but here's some thought-provoking excerpts:

Quote from: First Two Paragraphs
The 11-year-old self-regulatory body whose job it is to rate video games attracts flak like a magnet, the latest salvo coming from Congressman Joe Baca, D-Calif., who is demanding that the Federal Trade Commission review that ratings system; he believes it may be allowing adult material to fall into the hands of younger gamers.

But wait! If the Entertainment Software Rating Board(ESRB) is soft on sex and violence, you wouldn't know it from speaking to game makers. At the Game Developers Conference (GDC) in San Francisco last month, developers speaking out at a roundtable sponsored by the International Game Developers Association's (IGDA) Anti-Censorship Committee related one tale after another about how unrelenting the ESRB is when it comes to ratings. One developer summed it up nicely: "The ESRB is a pain in the butt."

Quote from: Holy Hilary!
Similarly, last month, Senator Hillary Clinton (D-NY) called for Congress to launch a $90-million investigation into the effects of games on children, singling out Rockstar Games' M-rated "Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas" for its emphasis on crime.

And on the topic of retail stores refusing to sell AO titles?

Quote from: Patricia Vance of the ESRB
"Then they have to work with the retailers to try and get them to understand that there is an older audience now who might want some of those products," advises Vance. "But, to date, at least from what I can tell, there's been no proven demand for AO products. So the developers may want to be creating it, but if no one wants to buy it, hey, not my problem."
Jayce
Terracotta Army

Diluted Fool

Reply #1 on: April 15, 2005, 05:12:42 AM

Quote from: First Two Paragraphs
The 11-year-old self-regulatory body whose job it is to rate video games attracts flak like a magnet, the latest salvo coming from Congressman Joe Baca, D-Calif., who is demanding that the Federal Trade Commission review that ratings system; he believes it may be allowing adult material to fall into the hands of younger gamers.

How's that the ratings system's fault?  I'd say it's the retailers instead.

But wait! If the Entertainment Software Rating Board(ESRB) is soft on sex and violence, you wouldn't know it from speaking to game makers. At the Game Developers Conference (GDC) in San Francisco last month, developers speaking out at a roundtable sponsored by the International Game Developers Association's (IGDA) Anti-Censorship Committee related one tale after another about how unrelenting the ESRB is when it comes to ratings. One developer summed it up nicely: "The ESRB is a pain in the butt."

My theory is that if both sides of an issue complain it's biased toward the other, then that thing must be balanced... or as close as you can get.

Quote from: Holy Hilary!
Similarly, last month, Senator Hillary Clinton (D-NY) called for Congress to launch a $90-million investigation into the effects of games on children, singling out Rockstar Games' M-rated "Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas" for its emphasis on crime.

Another investigation?  Haven't we seen enough of these already?  What findings is this one going to be told to come up with?

Witty banter not included.
MaceVanHoffen
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: April 15, 2005, 08:44:00 AM

How's that the ratings system's fault?  I'd say it's the retailers instead.

The viewpoint of some mentioned in that article is that games that should have received an M or an AO rating are getting a much lesser rating from the ESRB.  Hence, they believe that the ESRB is allowing [what should have been] M- and AO-rated games to fall into the hands of minors.  Then you have the counterpoint that the ESRB is a "pain in the butt" for developers, being very strict about the content that gets in for a certain rating.

I just find it fascinating the we have all this bruhaha over an organization (the ESRB) that amounts to voluntary censorship.  And for some politicians, that isn't good enough.  They feel the need to keep picking at the problem until the censorship becomes federally enforced.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #3 on: April 15, 2005, 11:42:48 AM

Seduction of the Innocent, circa 2005. Lots of grandstanding and brouhaha from politicos, which will eventually amount to nothing other than putting a seed into the minds of those who give a shit about such things that "that Hillary Clinton cares about our children getting bad video games."

Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: April 15, 2005, 12:43:29 PM

Meanwhile, teenage crime rates continue to drop...

...any religion that rejects coffee worships a false god.
-Numtini
voodoolily
Contributor

Finnuh, munnuh, muhfuh, I enjoy creating new written vernacular, s'all.

Reply #5 on: April 15, 2005, 12:55:19 PM

I'm frankly surprised that Hillary Clinton is in on this. Looks like that cunt Tipper Gore rubbed off on her.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
The Legend of Zephyr - a different blog.
schild
Administrator

Reply #6 on: April 15, 2005, 01:03:44 PM

$90 Million?

I've always said Hillary Clinton was a piece of shit. This just confirms it.
voodoolily
Contributor

Finnuh, munnuh, muhfuh, I enjoy creating new written vernacular, s'all.

Reply #7 on: April 15, 2005, 01:16:36 PM

How about a $90 million study on the effects of education on children?

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
The Legend of Zephyr - a different blog.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #8 on: April 15, 2005, 11:20:23 PM

How about a $90 million study on the effects of education on children?

Pff, that's boring.

How about they give me $90m to study the effects of using a paintball gun as negative reinforcement to encourage kids to study? I even have the gun and paint already.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: April 17, 2005, 02:05:21 AM

Cattle prods! Shit yeah!

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

The best part of SWG was the easy account cancellation process.

Reply #10 on: April 17, 2005, 06:07:27 AM

I'm frankly surprised that Hillary Clinton is in on this. Looks like that cunt Tipper Gore rubbed off on her.

I'm surprised that this surprised anyone at all.

And for some politicians, that isn't good enough.  They feel the need to keep picking at the problem until everything becomes federally enforced.

Yeah... Which sucks.  Especially for those of us with libertarian leanings.

Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
Strazos

Reply #11 on: April 17, 2005, 11:24:17 AM

And for some politicians, that isn't good enough.  They feel the need to keep picking at the problem until everything becomes federally enforced.

Yeah... Which sucks.  Especially for those of us with libertarian leanings.

Alkiera

It also sucks for those of us who are not retarded and know what games young kids should and should not have.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
MaceVanHoffen
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: April 17, 2005, 10:43:26 PM

It also sucks for those of us who are not retarded and know what games young kids should and should not have.

Or for those of us who recognize that people's opinions can differ as to what games young kids should have.  An example:  I personally would never allow a small child to play Resident Evil, for a number of reasons.  However, I do not have the right to say that you cannot let your small child play that game.  Neither do censors.
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

The best part of SWG was the easy account cancellation process.

Reply #13 on: April 18, 2005, 01:12:20 PM

Or for those of us who recognize that people's opinions can differ as to what games young kids should have.  An example:  I personally would never allow a small child to play Resident Evil, for a number of reasons.  However, I do not have the right to say that you cannot let your small child play that game.  Neither do censors.

On the other hand, while I disagree that video games cause kids to be violent, the kind of parents that let their young children play Resident Evil, or GTA, etc, are also likely to pay little enough attention to their children's raising that they can go purchase weapons and shoot up their middle school.  Games don't make kids violent, bad parents do.

I think we need to bring back laws that make parents responsible for their children's behavior... your teen shoots up his school, then shoots himself?  The parent(s) get the multiple murder charges, and the resulting jail time.  And in a perfect world, they'd have their reproductive privledges revoked.

Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
Strazos

Reply #14 on: April 18, 2005, 08:45:56 PM

It also sucks for those of us who are not retarded and know what games MY young kids should and should not have.

Edited for Clarity.

Fear the Backstab!
AOFanboi
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: April 19, 2005, 01:10:52 AM

The Political forum is thataway. *points*

The lack of enforcement of ESRB ratings would mean that they have less influence over what content game developers put into their games than the MPAA ratings have over films. Any developers care to comment on whether they "aim" for a given rating, or whether they just make their game then let the ESRB slap their pointless tag on it before release?

Would it make a difference if a dominant chain like Gamestopboutique stopped carrying very mature games, like the effect Blockbuster has on NC-17 movies?

Current: Mario Kart DS, Nintendogs
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #16 on: April 20, 2005, 03:05:45 PM

There are problems inherent in the whole system anyways.

If you've got a game with a crazy ninja dude who slices through hordes of badguys with blood spurting everywhere, it'd be violent.

Replace those badguys with robots and the blood with oil, and it's all good.

Nevermind that it has the exact same meaning and impact.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Game Design/Development  |  Topic: The many faces of ESRB  
Jump to: