Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:18:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: SOE: Oh wait, we were just fucking with you (again)! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: SOE: Oh wait, we were just fucking with you (again)!  (Read 7426 times)
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

on: April 13, 2005, 11:15:27 AM

We know that many of you have been anxiously awaiting the chance to play a froglok character. As we announced before launch, we decided to tie the availability of the frogloks into a major game-changing event. Since some of you have been searching for clues about how to unlock the froglok race, we wanted to provide an update on their availability and pass along a bit of insider info on what's about to come.

After making the decision to hold back the frogloks at launch, we gave our art team some extra time to enhance their animations and armor appearances. Since frogloks are the most distinct race from a physical perspective, they require handcrafted animations to take full advantage of their unique characteristics. To accomplish this, we decided to delay them a bit longer so we could release them in the most polished manner possible.

This also gave our Live Events team the chance to plan something really cool for their unveiling. I'm pleased to report that the live event for May is going to be the unleashing of the frogloks!

Players will be able to complete solo quests that allow them to play froglok characters on their own EverQuest II account. Unlocking the race for the whole server will involve the completion of an elaborate series of quests that culminate in an epic raid zone event that will challenge even the most seasoned adventurers. This is your chance to defeat the evil force that has kept the froglok spirit imprisoned for so long.

As part of Live Update #8, scheduled to hit the live servers the week of May 2, players will be receiving new animation files for the frogloks. This will kickoff the beginning of the froglok live event.

We realize some of you froglok fans out there would have preferred to receive this information sooner, but we decided to stay quiet until the Live Events team had finished their planning. We think the wait will be worth it, and players will have a lot of fun participating in this major event.

So something that was sold as in the game is actually not in the game yet. I don't really care personally, but a board firestorm will ensue I imagine, with plentiful uses of the the word 'liars!'

I have never played WoW.
Jayce
Terracotta Army

Diluted Fool

Reply #1 on: April 13, 2005, 11:27:55 AM

This is your chance to defeat the evil force that has kept the froglok spirit imprisoned for so long.

Can I be the first to pick this obvious one?

OMG TEH PLAYERS GET TO DEFEAT SOE??!

Witty banter not included.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: April 13, 2005, 12:28:52 PM

Heheh so true. Not that this is unexpected at all though. If you go to where froglocks do currently live in eq2 you will notice that NONE of them have anything other than default newbie cloths and all the female sounding frogs look exactally like the males. Before somebody makes snide comments about frog boobies let it be said that from the images on the main eq2 page the female froglocks are a lot less stocky and are visably different in height and build than the males are. And the picture of the female frog from the everquest2 site is a model that I have never yet seen in game.

Kaid
El Gallo
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: April 13, 2005, 12:32:50 PM

Can I be a froglok jedi with a firey avenger?

The fanboys on that thread are A+ entertainment.  It requires some serious devotion to argue "SoE just said Frogloks could be unlocked by a serverwide quest, they never explicitly said the serverwide quest was actually in the game so SoE didn't do anything wrong you people are whining about nothing" and actually believe it.

http://eqiiforums.station.sony.com/eq2/board/message?board.id=chars&message.id=18615&view=by_date_ascending&page=1
« Last Edit: April 13, 2005, 12:37:31 PM by El Gallo »

This post makes me want to squeeze into my badass red jeans.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: April 13, 2005, 03:11:17 PM

People want to play THIS Huh

And I thought gnomes were bad.

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Uthor

Email
Reply #5 on: April 13, 2005, 03:22:59 PM

/soe_backstab_4tw

I think the froglick jedi use a green lightsaber and have the bionic tongue lashing force effect... not unlike my old gf
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #6 on: April 13, 2005, 04:57:40 PM

The fanboys on that thread are A+ entertainment.  It requires some serious devotion to argue "SoE just said Frogloks could be unlocked by a serverwide quest, they never explicitly said the serverwide quest was actually in the game so SoE didn't do anything wrong you people are whining about nothing" and actually believe it.
At least SOE came clean (relatively) sooner rather than later like they would do during my EQ-playing days. It used to be it would take months and months of complaining before SOE would fess up that quests were missing/broken/seriously bugged/not itemized/etc.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #7 on: April 13, 2005, 10:32:49 PM

/soe_backstab_4tw

I think the froglick jedi use a green lightsaber and have the bionic tongue lashing force effect... not unlike my old gf

No backstabbing for you, that is my specialization, and mine alone.

By the way, punctuation and capitalization are a Good Things (tm). Use them, please.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

The best part of SWG was the easy account cancellation process.

Reply #8 on: April 15, 2005, 01:22:34 PM

People want to play THIS Huh

And I thought gnomes were bad.
Uh, that's an EQ1 screenshot.
An EQ2 froglok looks like this, at the moment...

Less 'popeye'ish arms, bigger waist, actually walks up on its toes... still incredibly hunchbacked, tho.  Sorry about the grainy image, I only play at 1024x768, due to having a crappy monitor(it won't go higher than that).

Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #9 on: April 15, 2005, 11:23:20 PM

It's ok, don't apologize for the engine.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: April 18, 2005, 07:09:25 AM

I just don't follow the artistic vision.  Forget undead, Centaurs or Minotaurs... frogs it seems are believed to have mass market appeal. 

No doubt it follows from the lore of EQ - which I could never remember - but they could always change the story to introduce some race with more appeal.

Maybe it is the achiever angle - if you unlock this race while others have not - you're special.

"I think my brain just shoved its head up its own ass in retaliation.
"  HaemishM.
El Gallo
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: April 18, 2005, 08:05:08 AM

In EQ1, the frogs were NPCs that populated the most popular high level dungeon in the original game, and the most popular high level dungeon in Kunark.  They actually had a "what NPC race should we allow as the next playable race" poll and the frogs won by a large margin iirc.  I always felt that they were kind of stupid and detracted from the high fantasy atmosphere they were shooting for.  Then again, they didn't come out until the Ykesha expansion, by which time the atmosphere in the game had gone to the dogs anyway.

I also have a special hatred for them because I played a troll in EQ.  They had the frogs drive us out of our town and take over, and moved the troll town to some ghetto in dark elfville. 

This post makes me want to squeeze into my badass red jeans.
jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: April 18, 2005, 08:26:16 AM

They actually had a "what NPC race should we allow as the next playable race" poll and the frogs won by a large margin iirc. 

I remember that now.  That's unbelievable.  Maybe this might understandable if the other choices for races were worse.  Not sure what that reflects more on the - the dev or the community.  I ilked the community in EQ - I just never understood that result.  The result of that whole exercise dumbfounds me.  I remember laughing with friends at the time.

I also have a special hatred for them because I played a troll in EQ.  They had the frogs drive us out of our town and take over, and moved the troll town to some ghetto in dark elfville. 

EQ 62 Troll warrior here (LFG).  On that topic - the trolls in EQ2 disappointed me.  Their body frames are good - but their faces are just too ugly.  I liked the earlier design concepts of the troll in EQ2 that made it into some early screen shots. 

Also, in EQ I quite enjoyed the racial starting areas - it was a shame to see that refugee status for the trolls take place (along with Ogres etc.).

"  HaemishM.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: April 19, 2005, 09:11:26 AM

How can a troll be to ugly? I do miss my old plumpy troll from oldschool eqlive but the eq2 trollies are pretty fun.

kaid
jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: April 21, 2005, 08:45:07 AM

Not going to make a thread on this so:

Changing my EQII account information - it seems that unless your account is active you do not access to the SOE EQ2 forums?

A closed beta is one thing - closed forum boards is SWG like and not a good sign.

"  HaemishM.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: April 21, 2005, 11:07:49 AM

Actually the log in to the boards is some kind of wack ass bug. If I use internet exploder I don't need my password to see it but if I log in via mozilla the freaking thing keeps asking me for my password every 15 to 20 minutes very irritating.

kaid
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #16 on: May 06, 2005, 10:56:36 AM

Unlocking the race for the whole server will involve the completion of an elaborate series of quests that culminate in an epic raid zone event that will challenge even the most seasoned adventurers. This is your chance to defeat the evil force that has kept the froglok spirit imprisoned for so long.

Now I know where all those Artifact Ent. people went.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #17 on: May 06, 2005, 11:27:13 AM

Wow, I'm glad I quit before that.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: SOE: Oh wait, we were just fucking with you (again)!  
Jump to: